Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer Review

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I really enjoy the multiplayer, and I don't really play the likes of Halo's firefight or GoW's horde mode.

Quarian Infiltrator's FTW!
Quarian Snipers are in the multiplayer?
*checks*
Quarian Snipers are in the multiplayer.
That's it, this game is a must buy.

Dec 14, 2009
Radoh said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I really enjoy the multiplayer, and I don't really play the likes of Halo's firefight or GoW's horde mode.

Quarian Infiltrator's FTW!
Quarian Snipers are in the multiplayer?
*checks*
Quarian Snipers are in the multiplayer.
That's it, this game is a must buy.
They have the accent too.

Best class ever.

Thuggych

Mar 5, 2011
PC gamer put together a nice article about readiness. I'm honestly not sure how it's possible to get the best endings w/o multiplayer if you're a new to the series...or want the freedom to make your own decisions (not optimized) throughout the trilogy.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/03/06/mass-effect-3-war-assets-and-readiness-how-multiplayer-affects-your-ending/

That said, I'm really enjoying the multiplayer and was sitting at 100% readiness before I continued beyond the game's prologue, it's too bad that it diminishes over time.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Multiplayer is really fun, you do need to play it a bit if you want to get the best ending, but it's so fun that I don't think it really matters too much to me.

Unlock system is kind of a pain though. I get that it's supposed to be addicting (It is) but you just have to hope on luck if you want to get a particular weapon/attachment/character type.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I'm surprised that you have to play the co-op to get the best possible ending. I thought Bioware said that this would not be the case and that the co-op would not have to affect your single player experience?

I just looked at the 360 achievement list for ME3 and Bioware obviously didn't want to disadvantage those who weren't interested in the co-op as any achievement applicable to the co-op can be unlocked alternatively through the single player game. So any achievement hunters can ignore the co-op for their 1000G.

I'm happy to play the co-op as I'm really enjoying it. But it's not very fair to anyone who does not have access to the online component of the game. It seems strange that Bioware would have done this.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
One thing I noticed playing the multiplayer demo(Picking up my ME3 copy at the post office tomorrow), if you do really well in a match, like really far ahead points wise from the rest of the team, some might let you die just to get a chance to pass you in points. I ran into this FAR too often, multiplayer is best played with friends that you know will have your back.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Kingjackl said:
Multiplayer would be awesome, except for the fact that there's no local splitscreen. You have to be on Live or Origin, which is frustrating. Why can't I just play the game in my living room, on my couch, with my friends?
Because it's not 2001 anymore.

Face it, companies want you to be online because everyone is a potential pirate.

Stupid isn't it.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Bioware need to face the facts. People will find stuff wrong with their games, even if it's trivial. It's what they get for 'evil' business practices.

Anyway, about the multiplayer. I always enjoy a bit of co op, I just don't want to play co op in Mass Effect, it just feels wrong. To elaborate, when I played ME1, it was MY story, I didn't feel as though someone else should have been there, it would have made my story less important. Gimme co op in a great shooter any day, but not in such a story driven game, the story is all it has going for it, and even that isn't amazing.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
blarg, I have no interest in playing ME since I finished 1 (just not a good shooter or RPG in my opinion). But this makes me want to play the multiplayer mode quite a bit. Trouble is, the price on this isn't going to go down for a long time, so I'm not going to pick it up until most people have moved on :(

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
To actually get a good idea of the MEMP, you really have to play it. Honestly, I was a huge skeptic and was laughing at how much Bioware was breaking things with their marketing. Then one day I was in the same room as someone else with the demo on xbox and gave it a shot. 10 hours of me playing later (and even more of watching other people) that opinion changed. It plays surprisingly well, with a pretty good balance between weapons, powers, and how much that teamwork actually matters. Furthermore, it is pretty clear you aren't Shepard - there are fewer skills to choose from per class/race combination, and you are capped at 2 weapons no matter how high your weight capacity is. Also I swear I'm a hell of a lot more fragile in MP than SP.

The unlock system is both addicting and frustrating. I advise any people just entering it to focus on a lot of recruit packs early before trying to get the fancier rare weapons. While no one really says the Avenger is their favorite gun, a mark V+ of that when everyone else is using mark Is, well, lets just say the difference is clear.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
18.99PlusTip said:
Radoh said:
Okay, so it helps the single player, but isn't a necessity? When I get it, I suppose I could spend some time on it, it looks fun.
Actually...that statement is misleading. Some might call it a lie.

Someone did the math on the war assets in the game...so...

..I can't say I saw this myself: so take it with a grain of salt.

There are a potential 8000 War assets in the game if you do EVERYTHING.

You need 5000 for the "good" end.

If you don't play multiplayer your Readiness multiplier stays at 50%:
Meaning you get only 4000 points.

And thus you CANNOT get the best ending without playing Multiplayer.

I'm curious if the reviewer even checked this or he just trusted Bioware isn't lying.

Kingjackl said:
Multiplayer would be awesome, except for the fact that there's no local splitscreen. You have to be on Live or Origin, which is frustrating. Why can't I just play the game in my living room, on my couch, with my friends?
The console has to process everything twice, so it can't run the game because they're already pushing the graphics as far as they're able without lag.

At least, that's the usual excuse.

It also means that everyone has to buy a console and an individual game: More money for them.

Fun isn't profitable enough.
You can raise the readiness multiplier without multiplayer. I don't know how I managed it, but I got a system up to 57% without having done multiplayer.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I love the multiplayer, some nitpicks I have are some glitches with the enemy, like on Firebase White some enemies will get stuck under the landing pad. But I'm sure that will get patched soon.

I really think character customization should be unlocked with level. I kinda don't like you have to buy random packs to try to get the customization you want or like.

Also some tips -
*Veteran Packs are the way to go, Avoid Recruit packs.
*If you get past Level 10 or so start playing silver to get A LOT of XP and Money
*Only play gold with a full team of 18-20 Levels
*Phantoms and Nemesis are annoying, if you have stasis, USE IT!!!!
*And please, getting kills/XP is nice but at wave 11 if you are in the extraction zone you get 15000 Extra XP. It's annoying you miss that much because of 1 guy that want's to go Rambo at the end.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I don't want to pay for xbox live gold.

Jesus shit. This makes me so angry I could spit!

Trekna

Apr 1, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Bioware need to face the facts. People will find stuff wrong with their games, even if it's trivial. It's what they get for 'evil' business practices.

Anyway, about the multiplayer. I always enjoy a bit of co op, I just don't want to play co op in Mass Effect, it just feels wrong. To elaborate, when I played ME1, it was MY story, I didn't feel as though someone else should have been there, it would have made my story less important. Gimme co op in a great shooter any day, but not in such a story driven game, the story is all it has going for it, and even that isn't amazing.
Would be an issue except for the part where you're not playing Shepard. You play one of the many nameless soldiers that fight and ultimately die for a horrible 5 minute cinematic.

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
I played it with the demo and loved it, it was so fun and intense!

But I haven't bought the game, and I guess that's why the multiplayer in the demo doesn't work now.

In my country store in Origin the game is actually not very expensive, so I may try it later.

BTW, does someone knows if Origin makes special offers like in Steam?

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Discord said:
Also some tips -
*Veteran Packs are the way to go, Avoid Recruit packs.
I disagree with this depending on what you are after. The Mantis sniper rifle (aka starting rifle, common card) is one of the more versatile sniper weapons you can get. At rank 10 its extremely light (roughly 1/3 of a rank 1 widow) Has 20 rounds, same fire rate as the heavy hitting rifles and does more than enough damage that you can one shot most enemies while in cloak (top tier enemies being an exception). So instead of gambling on vet packs I'd say buy 4x as many recruit packs to play the odds you'll get the mantis upgrades. Of course this is all moot if you are playing something besides an Infiltrator.

I do however agree with silver farming when you are ready. Personally the best way I've done it is either as a Salarian or Quarian Infiltrator versus Geth because Energy Drain and Sabotage are so incredibly OP its unreal. Nothing like watching a Geth Prime slaughter its own wave thanks to a couple well placed sabotages. I'd say vanguards are good for farming cash too but until the biotic charge bug is fixed its a gamble you'll make it through an entire match.

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
Trekna said:
CardinalPiggles said:

Would be an issue except for the part where you're not playing Shepard. You play one of the many nameless soldiers that fight and ultimately die for a horrible 5 minute cinematic.
Who may just die simply during the missions themselves. Repeatedly. Painfully. Normally from an auto-kill banshee attack that was a lagtastic range.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
I was also skeptical about the multiplayer in ME, but this didn't last for more than a few minutes after playing my first mission. And I'm not usually someone who plays multiplayer games. So just before I went to the final mission in the single player I did a lot of multiplayer to get the rating to 100%, and did it with pleasure.

Considering I played too much singleplayer ME in the last few weeks (replaying 1 and 2 before getting into 3), I don't see myself replaying the campaign anytime soon, but I think I'll keep playing multiplayer missions from time to time when I feel like shooting geth/reapers/cerberus.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I'm gonna be totally honest, I actually have more fun in multiplayer than I did for a lot of the chunks in single player.

The card game like unlocking system mixed with being able to play as Asari/Salarian/Turian etc. is just an amazing experience.