Mass Effect 3 PC will require Orgin

NewYork_Comedian

Nov 28, 2009
Well, I already have Battlefield 3 on my computer, so I doubt buying this third installment in the series on my pc is going to make it any worse for me.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
That makes me sad. I knew this was going to be an issue and that I wouldn't buy Mass Effect 3 if it were the case. I was holding out hope that I'd be proven wrong. This makes me sad, I really want to play Mass Effect 3.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Nurb said:
And now buying it pre-owned will be required for me to play Mass Effect 3 on PC
Don't requiring Origin mean pre-owned isn't an option? Unless Origin supports transferring licenses, which I doubt.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
LookingGlass said:
It's certainly what I expected, including the part where they say it won't on Steam at launch.

It's not a complete deal-breaker for me... but it's definitely an extra thing to think about. If I think the game will be amazing, I'm in and I'll just have live with Origin, at least during my playing time. If I think it will be good but not great, it'll go the way of Ubisoft's PC releases where I deem it not worth it overall.
It is a complete dealborker for me. I will not have that spyware on my system.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I already have Origin, and games on it, whilst I'm not a huge fan of the spyware, you know what, for me, it's really not that big a deal. So ME3 is definently still on the cards.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
PlowmanMk said:
This was quite obvious unfortunately.
It's nothing to do with Origin being 'Spyware', it's just less convenient then Steam.

Also, Origin is far from 'Spyware'. It gathers information about your peripherals and software. So what? So do several other programs and websites (Facebook included). Not to mention credit cards and store loyalty cards.
I've said this in other threads, and I'll say it again. It's purely for marketing. Nothing else.

Believe it or not, consoles operate in a similar way.

People need to stop getting so upset over little things.
Facebook collects 'information about your peripherals and software'? Please link something to backup this statement. Also care to name some other software that collects and sends this info without your express permission.

OT. And another EA game like BF3 that I wanted to buy but now will not, unless EA change this part of their data collection to opt in like Steam.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
sms_117b said:
I already have Origin, and games on it, whilst I'm not a huge fan of the spyware, you know what, for me, it's really not that big a deal. So ME3 is definently still on the cards.
No, when it does become a big deal it will be too late to complain about it. Like when you are banned from all your Origin games for having a NO-CD patch.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Not necessarily going to prevent me from purchasing it, but I'm not gonna do it until there is a crack around. Origin is not going on my PC, period.

PlowmanMk

Oct 7, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Facebook collects 'information about your peripherals and software'? Please link something to backup this statement. Also care to name some other software that collects and sends this info without your express permission.
By that, I meant that Facebook collects information about you. Not particularly software or peripherals, but other information (ie. personal details, how the website is accessed, pages/groups that you 'like' etc)
Proof: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info#inforeceived

Programs like Steam and Itunes are other examples of programs which collect user data. Neither of them (Origin included) go through your personal documents and pictures.

EDIT: Also, it isn't 'without your express permission'. You usually have to agree to this stuff before its installed/signed up.

Apr 24, 2008
Not surprised.

Is anyone else having trouble with origin remembering passwords? I have to click the "forgot your password" link and reset my password every time I want to log in...

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Athinira said:
Not necessarily going to prevent me from purchasing it, but I'm not gonna do it until there is a crack around. Origin is not going on my PC, period.
I can guarantee you that a no Origin crack/fix will be published within the first 4 days of the release for PC. Same happened to BF3 and thats even multiplayer.
OT:
I dont really care since Im getting it on xbox anyway and neither am I supprised since well..
its EA.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Thank God I have it for PS3. But I still think EA are shooting themselves in the foot. I don´t know if the people who actually say this thnigs will stick to their guns, but if they do, thousands of potencial costumers will be lost. For what? To see some software and hardware information? Even if they plan to sell the info, how can it be worth it? I doubt that it will make up for thousands of lost sales in each and every game they make for PC.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
still dont understand. origin is shit, yeah, but whats the big fuss about that info? its not like they sell it to al-qaida. you people need to chill the fuck out. i am ao anonymous, you say.
do you use facebook guys? know what? it does the same thing.

Apart from it being 2002-Steam, it is same.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Mojo_22 said:
Athinira said:
I can guarantee you that a no Origin crack/fix will be published within the first 4 days of the release for PC. Same happened to BF3 and thats even multiplayer.
OT:
I dont really care since Im getting it on xbox anyway and neither am I supprised since well..
its EA.
Don't recall saying anything about needing to buy it on release day. I'm patient and can wait.

I might even wait a few months until the price has dropped or there is a sale.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
I'm getting pretty tired of having a different account for every set of games, it's too much of a hassle and yet another security flaw to my personal information, Steam is enough of that, thank you.

Guess I won't be playing EA games until they learn their lesson and return to steam.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
ph0b0s123 said:
sms_117b said:
No, when it does become a big deal it will be too late to complain about it. Like when you are banned from all your Origin games for having a NO-CD patch.
So Origin would scan your other games for a NO-CD patch and then block you? I can see how that would be, well, completely unfair, but most of my CD games I've re-brought on steam if I still play them, but I don't tend to play them, in fact currently I don't have a single CD/DVD game installed on my PC...in fact all I have atm is Audiosurf, Dragon Age 2, Skyrim and TOR.

So still, for ME (and clearly just me), Origin hits up no problems that I can't deal with.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
What a shame.

Guess I'll be a) hoping for a Steam version later on while b) playing the 360 version at a friend's house.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
PlowmanMk said:
ph0b0s123 said:
By that, I meant that Facebook collects information about you. Not particularly software or peripherals, but other information (ie. personal details, how the website is accessed, pages/groups that you 'like' etc)
Proof: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info#inforeceived

Programs like Steam and Itunes are other examples of programs which collect user data. Neither of them (Origin included) go through your personal documents and pictures.

EDIT: Also, it isn't 'without your express permission'. You usually have to agree to this stuff before its installed/signed up.
Right so Facebook does not collect this info and to be fair the info you chose to give Face is entirely your choice.

As for Steam it collects the info but it is up to you whether it gets sent to Steam. If Origin worked the same way most of the spyware calls would disappear. For me this is not an anti EA boycott but an anti taking hardware and software info without permission issue.

For Itune plase post where you have seen that it collects and send your hardware and software data without your permission.

Otherwise you have not proven that other software is as bad as Origin for collecting this data, hence why people are annoyed by it.