Mass Effect 3: Retake This

Luciella

May 3, 2011
Bigeyez said:
Teresa Lass said:
trollpwner said:
Teresa Lass said:
Sigh
Let me put it in other words: when your laughed at is difficult to laugh at the joke.
Yeah, but the joke in this is squarely aimed at the people who deliberately stir up trouble to gain money... I'm not sure what it means if you consider yourself to be the 'victim' of the joke.
Well its aimed for moking the retake movement, in one way or another. So i guess as part of the movement i cant laugh at the joke.
While i dont consider myself victimized, in all and all its just a couple of ppl making a joke of already old news.

Again tho, cant laugh.
t

So you didn't get it at all then. They AREN'T making fun of the retake movement in this comic.

Okkkkk
before we continue this, click on the comic page --previous-- and read it.
Still thinking they are not making fun of the movement?

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
I was mad the first time I read this, but had to go to work. Then I came home, read it again, realized who said the last line, and then facepalmed so hard that I almost broke my neck. I should've paid more attention. This whole Mass Effect thing has me so on edge that I can't even take a joke anymore. Says more about me than anything else, I guess. Chilling out now...where can I buy that shirt?

Point: Good comic, but I get the feeling those new to the series would have taken it too literally, assuming they didn't start from the first Critical Miss comic and learn that the blonde haired woman is really...well, an obscene word.

Now I'm going to go bash my head into the wall for how much I overreacted to this comic. xP Sorry.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I don't recall those crybabies being so adorable. :3

Generally speaking, I'm just tired of the whole affair. I was pissed too, once, but I've long since cooled down. Now, whenever the issue comes up, all I can think is "get over it already."

Captcha: "labour of love" NOW DON'T YOU START!

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Landshark1 said:
j0frenzy said:
Landshark1 said:
Hagi said:
I probably don't get it. I'm not actually sure if I do. Either way, it's a bit disappointing.

If I do get it then well... that's just sad...

If I don't get it then well... there's this thing about having to explain your jokes...

I suppose it's a bit like having to explain your endings.
I'm pretty sure Grey's was trying to make fun of how these journalists are just in it for the page views and so they make articles that are purposefully inflammatory because they know it will draw people in. The text at the bottom was making fun of people that respond to the threads and giving the website even more money by sending the article to friends and such. They made a similar comic on Alyssa Bereznak.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9103-The-Bastards-Guide-to-Journalism
If I had the ability to like or upvote your comment would get so many of those right now.
The sad thing is that I'm definitely not the first to explain the comic's point either. If people would read through the other 6 pages before posting then there would probably be a lot less confusion.
I actually did read the whole thread.

I think there's about 5-6 different claims in there as to what the comic's supposed to mean, including yours, and who it's supposed to be trolling (if anything).

I'm not sure about you but, considering the fact that even you don't seem entirely sure about your theory, I'm going to have to refer back to having to explaining your jokes on this one.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
You better not be unironically using the word "Entitled". Makes you sound like some fox news talking head

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Sparrow said:
Stop speaking in circles. You downright accused me of having an opinion that is not my own then started to tell me why that opinion was wrong. You also remain ignorant to the fact that there are two sides to the story.

Are you seriously trying to say that I shouldn't support those who don't have a positive voice in the media they attribute themselves to? Gamers who dislike the ending and want a new one are being shovelled into a corner with those who demand an ending. They are not the same. My point was that these people are being treated like shit, not that I am being treated like shit. There are two sides to this story, and within those two sides there are another two sides and so on. I just want to represent those who are being ignored for having an opinion that the gaming media is so set against hating, is that so wrong?
I don't know how much you follow Major League Baseball, but let me relay a story to you. This is about an outfielder for the St. Louis Cardinals by the name of J.D. Drew. Before signing with the Cardinals, the Philadelphia Phillies were eager in trying to sign him. He made it very clear, however, that he did not want to play for the Phillies for various reasons (This was back when they were still the consummate underachievers, I believe. Definitely pre-2008 World Series.) Needless to say, this made him Public Enemy #1 for a while in the local Philadelphia sports world. This culminated in Drew's first game in Philadelphia as a Cardinal. When he was at his position in the outfield, he (along with those that watched the game on TV) noticed that people from the stands were throwing things at him, among them were batteries. It got so bad that the Cardinals went into their dugout and refused to continue playing until it stopped. Now this could have just as easily been brushed off as a few jerks who decided on their own to take things too far and they merely could have been found and thrown out of the stadium. They would have merely been written off as not being representative of all Phillies fans or Philadelphia citizens or baseball fans for that matter. But the Phillies, recognizing the seriousness of the situation, as a team and an organization decided to take it one step further. So before the Cardinals came back out to continue the game, an announcement came over the stadium that if anything else was thrown from the stands onto the field, the Phillies would immediately forfeit the game. Not call the game, FORFEIT. They were willing to give up and lose a game rather than risk letting an opposing player who didn't want to be part of their team be injured by the fans that are supposed to be supporting them. That sends a message that no matter how small the number, you will not embarrass us by committing some ridiculous act on our behalf without there being major repercussions for everyone affected. That's what you call integrity.

If you truly believe that these people that are demanding a new ending are not the definitive voice for those that are merely dissatisfied with it, don't just tell me, tell them. Let them know that they need to ease up. Say to them that they're making all of you look bad. Maybe then, people like me might actually believe it.

P.S.: To everyone out there that's still getting angry after reading the comic,
YOU'RE......BEING......PLAYED.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Dr.Nick said:
Grey Carter said:
Seventh Actuality said:
Grey Carter said:
Suggesting people be civil to keep from sabotaging their own arguments is retarded?
Commenting solely on the failings of one side when the disproportionately vast majority of the uncivility, immaturity and 'intellectual dishonesty' is coming from the other is pretty retarded, yes.
The vast majority? Really? I've seen maybe 20-30 full-fledged journalists take a negative stance on the issue, maybe half of which were insulting. I take more personal insults than that from readers on a daily basis, just for doing my job. The female journos I know take maybe twice that. Journalists should remain professional, of course, hence today's strip. But that's because I care about journalistic standards, not readers' hurt feelings.
I've noticed this same thing. Many "journalists" have taken a stance supporting Bioware where as the vast majority of non journalists and fans are heavily protesting the ending. I think the journalists are in the wrong on this issue. Not only that but you seem to lauding over the belief that these "journalists" opinions are somehow more valid than non journalists. These are the SAME people who rated the game so highly despite its many flaws that caused huge controversy among consumers. Game journalists themselves admit that they often don't have much time to even play through a game completely. Are you sure their limited time gives a better representation compared to a player who spends hundreds of hours exploring a game? Who really understands the game better?

The ending was bad. Just plain bad. I'm not just talking about the last 10 minutes but many parts of the mission on earth as well. A turret scene that pops out of nowhere....a comms station where you can magically have a few meaningless lines of dialogue with everyone. Then there was the reported controversy of the ending being written solely by the one writer while the rest of the game was worked on by the whole team. Even if you don't think it's bad you have to at least mention all the flaws and sloppiness the game has. The funny thing is that journalists seemed to miss these gaping narrative wounds but when hundreds of thousands of players point them out they are attacked as being "entitled." Every time a journalist defends the ending of Mass Effect it makes them look like an idiot. It ruined one of the best science fiction stories ever.

Then to make matters worse you have journalists that all seem to be jumping on the band wagon of bashing gamers for this made up thing called "gamer entitlement." Gamers do feel strongly about these products but it is NOT entitlement. We spend hundred of hours and hundreds dollars on these games. We put huge investment into these games. I think we deserve some say.

Times have changed with consumer feedback in games just as they have in journalism. We have a direct line of communication with game publishers and developers via electronic means. We can make our voice heard instead of just being a blind crash test dummy who just sits there after a game comes out whether it was good or bad. We can let the developer know whether the made a great game or screwed up and we can do it in force.

Journalists and developers should care what readers and players think. We are the force that supports this industry.

PS: I might be completely misinterpreting your post but I mainly just wanted to state how I felt about the whole issue and how I think it's very complex.
"Where is the majority of legitimate journalists/nonjouranlists/fans are heavily against the ending"

O'rly. I bet you have lots of facts to support that reasonable claim.

Bwah!. Seriously, this 'movement' is getting more childish by the minute. You have this vocal minority that has gone from merely flaming bioware at every turn to just making up numbers and claiming they represent the majority. When infact the number of actual members in said movement is 60-100.000 people. Far from the number of people who bought it and while 'very' large. All we can be sure of is that those numbers support it. Not actively contributing to the movement. And its far from certain that they represent the majority.

If a political party gets 60.000/10.000.000 voters. And 5.000.000 didnt vote. The 60.000 cant just go and claim that they represent those five million. Its stupid. Sure its widely accepted that the ending was bad, but I feel its the majority who wants to go to extreme lengths to attack bioware 'and/or' its writers. And I think an equal number of people. Journalists or not, support Bioware, even with its failings. And I dont mark them off as blind zealots like some others who favour the easy solution of making everyone disagreeing with them extremists.

frobisher

Jul 7, 2010
Whoa, 8 angry pages about a comic that migth as well be interpreted as satire about Escapist and the fact ME3 controversy generates traffic... as long as there is *something* about it on the front page...almost all the time... for weeks and weeks.

Cephei Mordred

Jul 23, 2011
In all of the uproar and melodrama, I think you're all missing the important part of all this.

It's not that Mass Effect fans are acting entitled.

It's not that Bioware put forth supposedly a subpar masterstroke to their series.

It's not even the trolls and agitators who are fanning this controversy for their own lulz.

No, the important thing is that Penny is back.

Cephei Mordred

Jul 23, 2011
chiefohara said:
Primary school level trolling trying to pass itself off as clever 'satire'

Poor form critical miss.
They got over 250 comments, plus whatever they got on facebook.

I say they succeeded.

KasraF

Nov 7, 2011
Hey Cory and Grey, how much did EA and Bioware pay you to write this?

P.S Sorry, I don't have a twitter account :(

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
chiefohara said:
Primary school level trolling trying to pass itself off as clever 'satire'

Poor form critical miss.
Being clever is somewhat relative to others, so considering the number of people who didn't get it, kicked off, and then made themselves the arse-end of the joke (the actual final panel is the comments section), I'd say it's very clever.

Let this be clear to people who still don't get it: you are not the butt of the joke if you supported the Retake Mass Effect thing. You are the pay-off for the joke if you threw up a *****-fit in this comments section about how the strip is insulting you for supporting Retake Mass Effect, and began claiming that this strip was yet another example of game sites taking sides with BioWare.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder how many more comics Cory and Grey will devote to this issue. They seem fixated on it.