Mass Effect 3: Retake This

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I love seeing so many people getting trolled by this.

BECAUSE WEBCOMICS R SRS BSNS. Also, because pretty much no one is getting the punchline.

On a side note, why did you draw Penny's eyes staring into my soul? ;_;

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smilomaniac said:
So you're saying that the me that is the me I see inside myself isn't the me that other people see but I shouldn't care about that me because the only me that really matters is the me that I see myself as? Seriously, my thoughts on the end to Evangelion are if you needed therapy before seeing the end: you won't any more. If you didn't need therapy before seeing the end: you most certainly will afterwords. :p

Anyways, joking aside and back to the point: I'm not begrudging people for being extremely passionate about the game. I consider myself pretty passionate about it as well. However you cannot allow that passion to blind you to the facts. The facts remain that Bioware made a product. The consumers bought that product. The consumers didn't like the ending, but there's nothing that says Bioware HAS to make an ending everyone would like, just that they're expected to try their best to do so.

Well they failed miserably.

To use your motorcycle example, it would be like you demanding that Harley Davidson (don't know if that's what you ride, just using it as a name) give you a snow mobile every winter because you don't like the fact that you can't ride. It'd be absurd for them to do so because a snow mobile isn't the product they sold you, they sold you a motorcycle.

So too is ME 3 the product they sold us. We were all willing to pay for it and experience it. Again, it REALLY sucks that the ending was so god-awful, but them's the breaks. I could be wrong but I don't remember Evangelion fans absolutely blasting the creators of the series, making petitions, involving charities, and sending them 400 gundam action figures in order to get the ending changed. I believe the creators saw all the negative reviews and decided "You know what? We CAN do better!" and so they took it upon themselves to change it (again, I could be COMPLETELY wrong at this and won't hesitate to admit it if you have evidence that this is wrong).

In my eyes, the ideal situation would be for everyone to just have written negative reviews of ME 3, blasting the ending as chopped up BS and that it's a damn shame that Bioware managed to royally fuck up the ending to their epic saga. Now this has already happened - obviously - but the Retake ME movement went further and started harassing the developer, DEMANDING that they give us a new ending. It would have been better if Bioware had taken a look at all the negative feedback and decided "You know what? They're right. We could have done WAY better than what we did. Let's give them something they'll enjoy."

Random berk said:
RJ 17 said:
That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.
This would be an acceptable trade-off for what the fans frankly are entitled to do in my opinion- because don't give me that artistic integrity bullshit, it'd be one thing if the ending was hopelessly bleak, or enigmatic yet well written, but artistic integrity should not extend to allowing the artist to sell a product that he didn't bother to finish- but unless they actually allow this to happen, or unless the new DLC actually fixes the mess (at this stage, it won't) then the fans can say what they want about Bioware.
And that's actually kinda what I was talking about above: the fans CAN and SHOULD say what they want about Bioware. Bioware gets to swim in allllllll the negativity that their failure of an ending brings their way. We can blast them. We can flame them. We can say they're the biggest choke artists since the Fat Guy Strangler in Family Guy. And from that feedback, Bioware can either say "screw it" and move on or say, as I mentioned above, "The fans are right, we can do better than this. You know what? Let's give the ending another shot."

They just shouldn't be - in the worst cases - actually threatened into changing the ending. It should be a decision they come to naturally, not something they're coerced into doing.

:p But yeah, pretty sure EVERYONE would be satisfied without a new ending so long as we all get to kick Casey Hudson in the balls.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Reet72 said:
I...I want to be angry but...my sarcasm meter is off the charts. I do not understand.

My brain hurts.
Have a hint = Everyone in the merchandise warehouse in the last panel work at the game reviewing site that Erin works for.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Great comic. Always laughed how people treat this issue like its the civil rights movement or something.

jedizero

Feb 26, 2009
Fawxy said:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.
Uhhh....No? They're pretty much saying that anyone who is saying that they need to change the ending is being an entitled little shit.

But y'know? After paying over a hundred dollars to continue the game where one of the major selling points is how the world can be defined and altered in a zillion little ways, and screwing over the consumer base by simply giving you THREE endings which all do the same fucking thing no matter what you choose, I think I've earned a right to say "This blows, and if you want to prove that your games are going to be worth purchasing in the future, you better fucking fix it."

May 17, 2010
I dunno what to say, you seem to be interested in some instigation.

Meh, I laughed though.

Just to be clear though, I hope those prostitutes are worth selling your soul. You monster.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
RJ 17 said:
They just shouldn't be - in the worst cases - actually threatened into changing the ending. It should be a decision they come to naturally, not something they're coerced into doing.
Unfortunately, it's not likely a decision an Electronic Arts-owned entity is going to come to without some form of coercion. (That is, threats to their public image and resignation of customer loyalty.)

Hell, we don't even have any way of knowing what the duo supposedly responsible for the ending (Casey Hudson and Mac Walters) think about it, since they've effectively been gagged since March 17.

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
RJ 17 said:
When you pay for a book and don't like the ending, you don't demand that the ending be rewritten. You write up a critique and say "Well the book was good but the ending sucked."

That's why people are calling the Retake ME movement "entitled crybabies." Does it absolutely suck that the ending to ME 3 sucks so much? Yes, yes it certainly does. Does Hudson deserve to be kicked in the balls by every ME fan? Yes, yes he most certainly does...with steel-toed boots.
It's kinda hard to rewrite the ending to a book - with a game so loaded with DLC it wouldn't have been that hard to alter the ending... with the state of affairs, given that the ending is absolutly attrocious, a "proper ending" should have come naturally and free.

I'm happy that I didn't buy ME3 in the first place after I lost interest halfway through ME2 and had a gigantic WTF moment at it's end.

ME3-extended cut is the absolut lowest form of scumbaggery that I ever thought possible and makes me think that executives at EA have lost any semblance of sanity. Next step: DLC quest, retail price edition : buy the game for 49.99, then add 10 bucks for the hud, 10 bucks for save/load functions and 10 bucks every half hour of gameplay +10 bucks extra for the ending.

No thank you - too many other companies have better games then these.

On topic: Monetizing the anger of fans over monetizing the exitment of fans over a fictional character...
I think we need to go deeper on this one and examine how companies like the escapist profit from artists that discuss these topics...

eventhorizon525

Sep 14, 2010
While it could just be mocking how easy it would be to monopolize on the rage surrounding mass effect 3, instead of being an overly aggressive piece of flamebait, given how most of the big names on the Escapist have been treating the retake movement (yes there are obviously problems with it, but nothing is simply a binary good/bad thing) and especially the text that went along with the last comic, it is hard to not default to assuming the latter option. I sincerely hope it is the former though.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Grey Carter said:
You may be feeling a little upset at this point. Don't worry, that's perfectly natural. We can get through this together, just follow these simple instructions.

Take a deep breath.
Read the strip again.
Think about it for a while.
Refresh the page a few times
Don't forget to breathe!
Ask Grey how much Bioware and EA paid him to write this comic.
Show your friends, they might be upset too.
Why not follow Cory and Grey on Twitter so you can tell them how upset you are?
and right about here, is where it got awesome XD

well played sir, well played

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
jedizero said:
Fawxy said:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait...

Why the fuck are people taking this strip seriously? They're obviously poking fun at the whole situation, not just the fans' supposed "entitlement".

Lighten the fuck up, people.
Uhhh....No? They're pretty much saying that anyone who is saying that they need to change the ending is being an entitled little shit.
That's NOT what it's saying.

You don't understand the last panel, do you?

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Yeah, umm, okay.

I'm not a part of Retake (I could never be bothered enough to do something like that) but I don't see why the people who are part of it deserve such abuse. They're saying "we want a different ending to ME3". They're not saying "legalise rape" or "down with democracy". I think a little perspective is in order.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Scrumpmonkey said:
Whilst this was funny, i think that ironically you guys seem kind of mad at the legitimate points brought up by many on last week's comments. Retake Mass Effect may be a little... extreme but at the heart of it they have a legitimate point; The ending sucked. The ending sucked really really really hard. It disregarded the choices the game put so much weight on throughout 3 games, its kind of like Bioware was going "Now all these choices you make are super important and carry over though 3 games- lol jk it didn't mean shit!"

The major selling point of the mass effect series was the customizable personal story you could craft with tour choices. No amount of pundit dismissing will diminish the ending being a bit of a kick in the balls.

Jim seems able to grasp this, why is everyone else effectively dodging the issue and trolling?
And you have stated why I found the comic last time to be so funny. Just read the part that I put into bold.
poiumty said:
Rule #1 of lazy comic writing: when out of ideas, use comic to relieve personal frustrations.

whoops, better stop writing or he'll start ridiculing me too

edit: love how the "release date" in the information box says "Q4 2011". Someone hasn't updated the database in a while.
Well considering 90% of the last comics comments were all railing against him and how he didn't get it and was paid off by EA to be nice about the game. Even though the comic had nothing nice to say about the game. Or anything about the game for that matter.
Patrick Anderson said:
Fans point out plot holes and inconsistencies with the ending and how it doesn't fit in the story

Game journalists and their websites that are plauged with EA ads call us entitled

Real journalists from Forbes, BBC News, CNN, NY Times, NY Daily news, etc... say the fans have a point and point out all the quotes Bioware said about the ending and how it ended up being lies.

Yeah, and you wonder why no one takes game journalists seriously anymore. I bet most of you game journalists cringe seeing more credible sources like Forbes rip you apart while you have nothing but petty comments to respond with.
And people point out the plot holes and inconsistencies with 90% of what is made after there are already things out there of that series. I also didn't find any major plot holes in the ending to be honest. For one I never actually saw my crew mates with me charging the reaper portal thing. Second Anderson clearly states that he must have been sent to a different part of the citadel than Shepard and that he is moving forward. And then states that he got there before Shepard over the intercom. Its TIM that comes up from behind not Anderson.
The only really big inconsistency is that depending on your ending depends on who leaves the Normandy regardless of who you have in your crew.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Guy Jackson said:
Yeah, umm, okay.

I'm not a part of Retake (I could never be bothered enough to do something like that) but I don't see why the people who are part of it deserve such abuse. They're saying "we want a different ending to ME3". They're not saying "legalise rape" or "down with democracy". I think a little perspective is in order.
Well the last comic had the "Retake" moving giving blowjobs for a better ending. Pretty much saying the ending sucks so we will suck for a better ending.
I don't think a lot of people got that joke.
Then they took the comments to say how Carter was paid by EA how they weren't entitled little shits and how he just doesn't get it. Without really thinking about how exactly the strip was a joke.