Mass Effect 3: Retaliation Arrives Next Week

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them! If you think about it, though, it makes sense to develop a community or fan-base around ME3's unproven multiplayer component by offering free incentives.

Unfortunately, I can bet anything that Mass Effect [insert number/subtitle] WILL have paid DLC packs, compliments of EA.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
CPunchMaster said:
Collectors and Harbinger? Did they realise they forgot about them in ME3? I wonder if this means they'll be in single player DLC next...
They already said about a week ago that single player DLC focusing on Omega was coming, so maybe they show up in that, hopefully also along with more multi-player weapons transitioning to the campaign.

I look forward to fighting Collectors again (although I don't quite see how they'll be able to write them back into existence after ME2). However, all positives and negatives of this news in the article were instantly rendered irrelevant when the trailer showed the Turian Havok Soldier using a jet pack. Do Want!

Mysten

Sep 28, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
CPunchMaster said:
Collectors and Harbinger? Did they realise they forgot about them in ME3? I wonder if this means they'll be in single player DLC next...
They already said about a week ago that single player DLC focusing on Omega was coming, so maybe they show up in that, hopefully also along with more multi-player weapons transitioning to the campaign.

I look forward to fighting Collectors again (although I don't quite see how they'll be able to write them back into existence after ME2). However, all positives and negatives of this news in the article were instantly rendered irrelevant when the trailer showed the Turian Havok Soldier using a jet pack. Do Want!
Well you did only destroy a single base in ME2 - the location of which you only determined from navigational data from a single cruiser. It may have been their main base but that doesn't mean the Collectors are completely wiped out. Their base was hidden in the freakin' galactic core after all, it's not like it's completely implausible for them to remain hidden whilst regaining their strength until now.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
CPunchMaster said:
Well, they were in the From Ashes DLC...which was a flashback...50,000 years in the past. They were completely wasted in 2...any attempts now to shove them into the narrative (whether it's via BW staff tweets saying they're fighting against the Alliance 'elsewhere' in the galaxy) or into multiplayer is just a narrative-retconning waste of time.

Studsmack said:
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them!
Microtransactions. The multiplayer uses a "pay-to-win" format - it pays for itself many times over because it's comparatively cheap to produce, as opposed to single-player DLC.

As of right now, it's pretty much the only thing the game still has going for it.

Studsmack

Sep 28, 2012
crazyrabbits said:
Studsmack said:
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them!
Microtransactions. The multiplayer uses a "pay-to-win" format - it pays for itself many times over because it's comparatively cheap to produce, as opposed to single-player DLC.

As of right now, it's pretty much the only thing the game still has going for it.
You're referring to the load-out packs that you can either unlock or purchase using actual money, right? Do people actually foot the bill for the (what is it?) $2 weapon unlocks?

I suppose if one was strapped for time...

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Mysten said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
CPunchMaster said:

Well you did only destroy a single base in ME2 - the location of which you only determined from navigational data from a single cruiser. It may have been their main base but that doesn't mean the Collectors are completely wiped out. Their base was hidden in the freakin' galactic core after all, it's not like it's completely implausible for them to remain hidden whilst regaining their strength until now.
this
also it's not so hard to piece together that, since Collectors "reproduce" by direct cloning, there would be DNA storage "backups" saved
on the other hand
>Praetorians
>they can now insta-kill
fuck me

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I'd rather a DLC set in the campaign so we could find out just what the hell our choice about the Collector base would have apart from a piss poor writeoff.
Yeah. Remember how many threads we had on here just centered around that one decision? Everyone that it was going to be a huge thing. But it really just amounted to interior design. They really fucked that one up.

Anyway, haven't played the multiplayer in many months now. And I doubt I will again. I'll replay the main game a bunch, though. I still love it, despite its many dipshitty flaws.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Studsmack said:
crazyrabbits said:
Studsmack said:

You're referring to the load-out packs that you can either unlock or purchase using actual money, right? Do people actually foot the bill for the (what is it?) $2 weapon unlocks?

it's also pretty hard to "pay-to-win" when your equipment chances are the exact same as the others', everything is randomized

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Studsmack said:
crazyrabbits said:
Studsmack said:

Mm-hmm. They make out like thieves on those packs - John Riccitello has even gone on record saying he would make people pay for ammo clips in Battlefield if he could. ME3 is just their test case, and it seems to be working very well, to the point that most of EA's output for the next year is all P2W games using dormant franchises.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
Clearly the whole Mass Effect 3 thing was so downgrading for him, that Harbinger has now brought it upon himself to forcefully "Assume Direct Control" of things.

...I'll show myself out now. Preferably not the airlock.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Mysten said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
CPunchMaster said:

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others out there, but I was referring more specifically to when Harbinger 'released control' just before the base got fucked. Wasn't the whole purpose of the Collectors to be sleeper agents for the Reapers, observing the development of species in this cycle and gathering data while the Reapers were in dark space. Now the Reapers have arrived, that purpose is now void; and in the other task they were given (namely pave the way for the arrival by removing humanity, whom Harbinger perceived as the biggest threat after Sovereign was destroyed) they failed, meaning Harbinger no longer views then as effective thralls, so why would he use them?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Sorry, I cant be arsed to give a fuck about ME3 MP anymore. Cant stand the system they chose to allow you to unlock things.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
This sounds like the kind of thing that would be really awesome if I had actually stuck with the ME3 multiplayer.

Seriously though, I don't think the multiplayer was actually bad per se, it just seems like Bioware are putting a huge amount of effort into trying to sustain this thing and that would be really awesome if it was a more compelling experience in general.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
This sounds pretty cool. Its been a while since I've played ME3's multiplayer. Course we always knew (or rather assumed) that the Collectors would be another enemy to fight against. And hey, its all for free, and Harbinger actually spoke!

And Praetorians...*shudder* Those must be fun to fight against. Reminds me of that funny pic of one from ME2 with a caption that says "What do you mean we are out of Rockets?!" Good times. Gooood times.

A shame my Xbox has no space on it though. Didn't even have enough for their last free DLC either. Probably going to have to get rid of most of the Multiplayer DLC just to download the Omega DLC that is coming soon. Looks pretty fun though!

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
WOOOOOOOT!

The collectors and environmental hazards will do wonders to add some much-needed variety! I am super happy about this.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
They need to stop advertising these as 'free'. (NOTE: after reading this, I figured I may as well add the counterpoint to the obvious argument: Yes, you can technically unlock the entire thing for free) I would happily pay real money to unlock these things if I could, but I can't. I can pay $2 for the chance to possibly unlock part of the DLC. It's freemium at it's worst, where even paying money doesn't let you get to the point faster.

I stopped playing after a couple weeks of completely failing to unlock the specific classes I was looking for while pulling 10+ Turian Soldiers. I would have paid $5 or maybe even $10 to unlock all the DLC classes and weapons on release, but it's really not worth it to pay $20+ to possibly maybe have almost all of the DLC.

RedBerserkerD

Mar 5, 2012
GREAT another DLC with more stuff to unlock.I still haven't unlock any male quarians or N7 class. Thanks EA but I think I'll pass. When you have a DLC that allows me to buy or trade pack to unlock stuff. I don't have the time or money for this crap.

lord's voken

Oct 9, 2011
why it there only still horde mode?
really, the mp exp would be so much better if it played out similarly to how the story was and felt like a battle ish. star wars battlefront 2 never gets old but horde mode does no matter the maps or even one new fraction to fight. at least give the team up to ten members, just anything so it feels less like horde mode and more like mass effect

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Damn! That's Harbinger and his voice actor. It gives me hope that Bioware will eventually make a DLC where we get to actually fight the bastard.