Mass Effect 3: Retaliation Arrives Next Week

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
**sigh**

So even more things that aren't Asari for me to get in my Premium Spectre packs.

My N7 score is over 300. I've been playing this game for fricken ever. I have unlocked every type of Drell there is, repeatedly, enough to get patterns and skintone.

I hate Drell.

I have unlocked no Asari. At all. Not even Asari Vanguard, which is supposed to be uncommon rather than Rare.

Arg.

Well, fighting Collectors will be kinda neat. Although... didn't Shepard kill them all in ME2?

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
Nicolaus99 said:
Oh look, more multiplayer DLC garbage tacked onto our perfectly good 1 player rpgs; leeching lifeblood funding out of it so some soulless hollow suit corporate who can't tell the difference between SEGA and Sony except for their share prices can steeple his fingers and hiss "Eeeexcellent..."
Have you even played it? It is pretty fun and the whole reason why it is free is because the people buying packs is what funds the multiplayer dlc.

I really doubt it takes much if any money from the single player. It is developed by Bioware Montreal. Not by the main Bioware people and by the people who made the singleplayer.

Not to mention that as long as the multiplayer is around, Bioware has reason to invest in Mass Effect 3. It means people are playing who would probably buy single player dlc.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Falterfire said:
They need to stop advertising these as 'free'. (NOTE: after reading this, I figured I may as well add the counterpoint to the obvious argument: Yes, you can technically unlock the entire thing for free) I would happily pay real money to unlock these things if I could, but I can't. I can pay $2 for the chance to possibly unlock part of the DLC. It's freemium at it's worst, where even paying money doesn't let you get to the point faster.

I stopped playing after a couple weeks of completely failing to unlock the specific classes I was looking for while pulling 10+ Turian Soldiers. I would have paid $5 or maybe even $10 to unlock all the DLC classes and weapons on release, but it's really not worth it to pay $20+ to possibly maybe have almost all of the DLC.
''freemium'' lol. +1

It's part of EA's new 'micro-transaction lottery' to maximise revenue from the player's that have even more disposable money. Quite ingenious really. Shame they used ME3 as a prototype.

EA needs to die. If that means killing Bioware with it then so be it..before the virus spreads.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
Yeah, how dare Bioware update a fun multiplayer with free DLC. The nerve!

You can't have Pay2Win in horde mode. There's nothing to "win" when you're all on the same team. If I haven't spent a nickel on packs and a person in my group has spent $1000, who cares? It makes no difference

The single-player and multiplayer teams are separate. They aren't holding any SP content back to get MP out faster

If you're going to whine, at least have a valid reason to do so

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice to see a new enemy added, especially a cool one. Too bad they haven't introduced new modes though. As someone who played a ton of the MP early on I can honestly say that's something that would definitely bring me back. I enjoyed the play for sure but just got a little bored with the constant horde mode approach.

teh_Canape said:
Studsmack said:
crazyrabbits said:
Studsmack said:
I don't know how BioWare convinced EA to make these packs free every time, but good on them!
Microtransactions. The multiplayer uses a "pay-to-win" format - it pays for itself many times over because it's comparatively cheap to produce, as opposed to single-player DLC.

As of right now, it's pretty much the only thing the game still has going for it.
You're referring to the load-out packs that you can either unlock or purchase using actual money, right? Do people actually foot the bill for the (what is it?) $2 weapon unlocks?

I suppose if one was strapped for time...
it's also pretty hard to "pay-to-win" when your equipment chances are the exact same as the others', everything is randomized
Yep. I totally don't get the pay to win commentary. It's like going to a sports card shop for a pack of baseball cards. You can either buy the pack outright, or help out in the shop for an hour and have the owner give it to you for free but, either way, it's still a pack of randomized cards that may not contain anything that you want or find of value. That said, of course, people are probably spending a nice chunk of change on the packs (I know I bought a handful back when I was playing the ME3 multiplayer) but it's hardly pay to win.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
lord said:
why it there only still horde mode?
really, the mp exp would be so much better if it played out similarly to how the story was and felt like a battle ish. star wars battlefront 2 never gets old but horde mode does no matter the maps or even one new fraction to fight. at least give the team up to ten members, just anything so it feels less like horde mode and more like mass effect
You want competitive Mass Effect multiplayer?

One word. BIOTICS.

You don't want competitive Mass Effect multiplayer.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Wait wait wait, wait.
Bloody Collectors? I thought they were trying to have the multiplayer take place in the same universe as the single player, is this a step away from that, or are the collectors back from the dead?

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
It's Free, Can't complain though the damn grinding to unlock everything is going to be, YET another hassle -.-. I mean come on, I've been playing a little every week, I want that damn N7 Fury and that N7 Typhoon, but like I said, "Free" so... it's ok I guess.

mygocarp

Apr 2, 2012
Eh, until they come out with new game modes there isn't really that much of interest. Not worth a reinstall for me. I might just watch a youtube video or two to see what the new stuff looks like.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Looks pretty cool...thinking I should get back into ME3 multiplayer, forgot how much fun it could get.

Also, Harbinger's back! Never thought I'd say it, but I actually missed the taunting bastard.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
**sigh**

So even more things that aren't Asari for me to get in my Premium Spectre packs.

My N7 score is over 300. I've been playing this game for fricken ever. I have unlocked every type of Drell there is, repeatedly, enough to get patterns and skintone.

I hate Drell.

I have unlocked no Asari. At all. Not even Asari Vanguard, which is supposed to be uncommon rather than Rare.

Arg.

Well, fighting Collectors will be kinda neat. Although... didn't Shepard kill them all in ME2?
I'll trade you the three Asari I have for some God damn KROGAN!?!

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
StriderShinryu said:
Yep. I totally don't get the pay to win commentary. It's like going to a sports card shop for a pack of baseball cards. You can either buy the pack outright, or help out in the shop for an hour and have the owner give it to you for free but, either way, it's still a pack of randomized cards that may not contain anything that you want or find of value. That said, of course, people are probably spending a nice chunk of change on the packs (I know I bought a handful back when I was playing the ME3 multiplayer) but it's hardly pay to win.
The whole "pay-to-win" format has been used frequently for games that give players the option to "pay" their way ahead by buying better equipment/items. The Spectre packs notably have higher-level gear and weapons that the standard packs, and (unless you're willing to grind for a couple hours to get the credits), you're going to pay real money for them. It's not that hard to understand.

The difference between your analogy and this example is:

(a) baseball cards aren't designed to be competitive (unless you're talking about a purely comparative price-value, which isn't applicable to this game)

(b) A pack of trading game cards would have resale value, even if it's very little. The in-game gear has no resale value - it's cash in only, no cash out.

(c) A pack of random trading cards is just that - a mix of common, uncommon and rare. The Spectre packs guarantee you high-level equipment, making it a much more sweet deal for those willing to buy them and get access right away.

Any game where you can pay money for advantages (no matter how minute they may be) is, by definition, pay-to-win.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Blunderboy said:
I only have a Krogan Soldier (I'd love to play a Krogan Vanguard, but it is also locked).

And if I could trade you, I would. **sigh**

There you go, EA - a feature where people trade weapons and classes. That is some free DLC that would excite me.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Blunderboy said:
I only have a Krogan Soldier (I'd love to play a Krogan Vanguard, but it is also locked).

And if I could trade you, I would. **sigh**

There you go, EA - a feature where people trade weapons and classes. That is some free DLC that would excite me.
Agreed. :)
Or at least allow me to choose what I unlock at a greater cost in credits.
So let me unlock a spectre pack for 60,000 credits or a specific class and two specific weapons say 100,000 credits.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
While Mass Effect 3 is a good/great game with a flawed story, I gotta say Multiplayer, while enjoyable, has turned people into gamblers... unlocking items is the equivalent of playing the slot machines and I hate that. They should've added more unlocking options, slot machine type ones, buy only what you want to use... etc.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I haven't played ME3 MP in ages, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not interested in this DLC.

I mean, that Turian had a JETPACK for crying out loud!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Wait wait wait... the Collectors coming back is kind of a big deal, and they're just being wasted on the multiplayer component of the game? Why not do this for single player as well?

It's especially frustrating because this looks like it could be really interesting.

Oh well, moving along.