Mass Effect 3 Review

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Therumancer said:
Freechoice said:
They didn't get rid of the planet scanning mechanic? Jesus Christ.
Personally I was most disappointed with how it seems you have to run from the Reapers pursueing instead of there being a space combat mechanic implemented.

That said, I liked the way how they did the planetary exploration and mining in ME1, they just needed to put more stuff on the planet to make it a little more exciting. Skimming through my strategy guide (I don't want too many spoilers yet, and I have yet to get a copy installed) it doesn't appear there is even a vehicle component to this one, though I imagine it could be added later.
um would you like to fight a squadon of repears in a ship 1/10th their size?

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
gameplay looks choppy and lacked fluidity from my view. i never played the previous installments, was the cover system that poor before?

the alien character models are at least distinct and varied. not too close to star wars knockoffs

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
BaronIveagh said:
I'm not really surprised with this review, the escapist last night was announcing how Miracle of Sound was going to be on Bioware TV. Between that and the non-stop gushing about the trailers, not surprised at all.
Couldn't be because we think the game is actually that damn good, could it?

And of course we're going to encourage people to go watch Gavin - why wouldn't we? He works for us, and our readers really love him. How would we look if we didn't tell people to go watch him?

Dec 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
BaronIveagh said:
I'm not really surprised with this review, the escapist last night was announcing how Miracle of Sound was going to be on Bioware TV. Between that and the non-stop gushing about the trailers, not surprised at all.

And of course we're going to encourage people to go watch Gavin - why wouldn't we? He works for us, and our readers really love him. How would we look if we didn't tell people to go watch him?
Don't bother.

Most people have made up their minds as to whether they think ME3 is going to be good or not and any reviewer who gives the game a high score is going to be accused of, well, you know.

Remember the DA2 review?

Haters gonna hate, right?

I can't wait for the game. Stupid EU release date...

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
BaronIveagh said:

Don't be silly. You're clearly one of the EA marketing droids. No one could possibly just like the game.
That's insane!

OT - Like Daystar, I'm going to just play the game and enjoy the hell out of it, regardless of any faults. I'm sure I'll be called a corporate tool by some whiny little tossers but I really don't care.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Blunderboy said:
OT - Like Daystar, I'm going to just play the game and enjoy the hell out of it, regardless of any faults. I'm sure I'll be called a corporate tool by some whiny little tossers but I really don't care.
I cannot tell you how happy reading that made me. Good for you, man. :)

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
I didn't find the small squad pool to be a problem, and while I didn't love the game's ending(s), they didn't diminish the overall experience for me at all.
I didn't have a problem with the small squad either, I just figured that it will get filled in with DLC.

Sorry , in my case it broke the flow of the story for me badly and made the game feel as though it was rushed. It was a classic Deus Ex Machina and given Bioware's reputation for good storytelling, that's something they should know better then do.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:
Blunderboy said:
I cannot tell you how happy reading that made me. Good for you, man. :)
My pleasure. Writing it beats the hell out of the office stationary order I'm supposed to be doing right now. I can't wait til my preorder arrives. I hope it gets here in time for Friday.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Yes! Oh my gosh, I'm shaking with excitement! I couldn't go pick it up at midnight, but I will now. Thanks for the confirmation, Susan. Knew it would be great :D

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
All the butthurt bitching and moaning from people who haven't even played the game. It's delicious.

Dec 14, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
All the butthurt bitching and moaning from people who haven't even played the game. It's delicious.
You love the taste of butthurt, Gavin?

That's kind of weird, dude :D

FangShadow

Feb 18, 2009
This is turning out to be a good upcoming spring break for me.

Despite all the hate and controversy around the game, I'm just glad I finally get to get my hands on it and form my own opinion and have fun with it. I'm ready to see how the endgame plays out for shepard.

This plus Street fighter x Tekken and a new skyrim characters started = Best spring break ever!!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Still Life said:
Been playing it.

My. God.

It's pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I'm having a ton of fun!
On what system? PC getting a lot of bad word of mouth. I tried origin to try to get the demo and it wouldn't even start on my 64 bit windows 7 PC build.

I've heard Kinnect works with it, PS3 Move too?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
BaronIveagh said:
How dare Susan enjoy a game you didn't!

And how dare she support a co-worker of hers who got an amazing opportunity!

CORRUPTION I SAY! HARRUMPH! HARRUMPH!

(Goes back to enjoying ME3)

BaronIveagh

Apr 26, 2011
Susan Arendt said:

Susan, the problem is that I've been told what to write by my bosses about more then one EA release. DA2 was a 'GOTY' and a '9 out of 10' before they ever let me see it, because EA was dumping more advertising dollars on us then God. Then I got to play it and it sucked.

So, when I see a site start publishing gushing reviews when all we have is a trailer, it sends up all sorts of warning flags to me, because I once had to write those myself. Particularly when regulars like Gavin are getting something out of it, much as IGN is. I don't write reviews for (video) games anymore, and am glad of it.

MiracleOfSound said:
Sorry, nice try, but no dice. I have played it.

And at no point have I said that any of the non-staff posters were incorrect in the fact they liked it, I simply stated that I don't trust the review, because members of the staff (which I am including you in, right or wrong) benefited from it, albeit indirectly.

Personally, I didn't like the game, despite the fact that gameplay was fun (except the bugs) because I was playing it to find out the ending of the story, not because I needed another game to play.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Well, now I'm really excited for this game... Dammit Susan, I need to eat!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
BaronIveagh said:
Susan Arendt said:

Susan, the problem is that I've been told what to write by my bosses about more then one EA release. DA2 was a 'GOTY' and a '9 out of 10' before they ever let me see it, because EA was dumping more advertising dollars on us then God. Then I got to play it and it sucked.

So, when I see a site start publishing gushing reviews when all we have is a trailer, it sends up all sorts of warning flags to me, because I once had to write those myself. Particularly when regulars like Gavin are getting something out of it, much as IGN is. I don't write reviews for (video) games anymore, and am glad of it.
If you think I've been bought, don't read my reviews. Or the reviews of anyone here. Ever. Either you trust us not to bullshit you, or you don't.

I take my integrity very seriously. I can't imagine a payoff that would be big enough to be worth ruining my good name for. You can't get trust back once you've squandered it. Why the hell would I ruin my relationship with readers to please EA? People throw out accusations of corruption so casually, and I don't think they really think through what they're suggesting.

But whatever. You had a bad experience, so you assume all sites are on the take. C'est la vie.