Mass Effect 3 will be incomplete

Nfritzappa

Apr 1, 2010
"From Ashes" is optional. Completely. But in your case I'm starting to wonder if twisting words just to get people riled up was your goal in the first place.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
WAAGH! Bioware is charging extra for DLC that was created after the game was sent for certification and therefore separately budgeted! WAAGH! EA is worse than Hitler! WAAGH! I know everything about this piece of content that I haven't seen a single screenshot of based on a single piece of leaked information! WAAGH! I'm entitled to get it for free, just because.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I really doubt that the Protean is going to be such an enormous deal in ME3 (sadly), otherwise they wouldn't have made it DLC (I'm going to have to trust Bioware on that). No doubt he's going to add a lot to the lore, but probably not that much to the actual story of ME3. Other than that, I'm getting CE, so I'm not bothered.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Ok, Really, the I doubt the Prothean will turn out to be some essential part of the story or W/E. More likely, it will be like the Back to Karkand BF3 DLC: A fan service. Its not necessary, its not 100% needed, it is cool to have if your a fan of the series and know the game and its lore - much like a collectors edition would be.

How much of a role the Prothean will play remains to be seen, but I remain highly sceptical that it is some all important piece of story or W/E, beyond a fan service.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Another thread proving how self entitled some gamers are?

Right. I'm off too punch a badger.
Save a badger.
Punch a self entitled twat instead.

Dec 14, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Another thread proving how self entitled some gamers are?

Right. I'm off too punch a badger.
Save a badger.
Punch a self entitled twat instead.
It's okay, badgers are reknowned for their ability to take a punch to the face.

Self entitled twats tend to call the police.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
[HEADING=1]READ THIS IF YOU AREN'T AFRAID OF MASS EFFECT 3 SPOILERS![/HEADING]

Having read the spoilers in the leaked script (the actual proper leaked script, not the shockingly crappy draft) I can confirm that the arguments about the Prothean being super important and essential to the plot are false.
In the original draft, he was central to the story. However in the actual script of the game his role has been decreased dramatically, to the point that there is virtually no difference between a game that DOES have him and a game that DOESN'T. To put it simply he is no longer key to the plot, and the plot goes along perfectly well without him being in it at all.
The only thing that happens if you download him is you get an additional mission and then he's a squadmate, that's it. He has no vital intel or central conflict that the game would be lost without, just a minor mission that has little to no bearing on the actual story itself and after that he, like Zaeed and Kasumi before him, just exists on the ship with nothing more to say to you.
He is not 'removed' content, he is 'tacked on' content.
Hell, I'll give you a little fun fact about his DLC mission:
He can DIE, minutes into his recruitment mission. He basically wakes up, ragdolls a few Cerberus soldiers and then sees Shepard and Company, panics and Shepard has to convince him that he's not a threat, otherwise kill him.
Yeah that's a fitting treatment for a character who is apparently super duper mega important to the plot.
That's one of the benefits of being a poster on BSN, if you can wade through the creepiness, you find out new news about Mass Effect 3 faster. It also gives you perspective on what to be pissed off about and what to dismiss as 'nothing worth worrying about' and if you ask me, while Bioware are in the naughty stool for me for a lot relating to Mass Effect 3, this isn't one of them.
Bioware redesigning established female characters just to give them sex appeal? That's something to be pissed about. Bioware relying on gimmicks to market the game? That's something to be pissed about. Bioware adding an IGN reviewer to the cast in Mass Effect 3? Something to be pissed about (arguably). Bioware still not giving any info about whether or not they've given the approval to the Play Arts Kai line of action figures? Something to be pissed about (though I would be shocked if they didn't approve of them, they look great).

Bioware making a day one DLC be a bonus mission and squadmate that has no bearing on the game story whatsoever? Not something to be pissed about. If you want, you can be pissed that Bioware decided to add something to the story that should be important but turned it into a gimmick, or pissed that Bioware would make a dumb decision like adding a prothean to the plot in the first place (I think it's dumb anyway). All I'm saying is, do a little research first and know what should and shouldn't be hated on.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Zaeed and Kasumi were hollow and sloppily implemented compared to the vanilla crew, I imagine this prothean squadmate will follow the same formula...particularily since Bioware admitted that the whole concept was a post-gold afterthough. I don't think I will be missing anything important or interesting by not purchasing this somewhat manipulative DLC.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Zeel said:
Let me get this straight. Content is being removed for 10 extra dollars and the jury is in: It's okay because it's not vital? HUH!!!?

PLEASE DEFEND THE REMOVAL OF CONTENT NOT HOW INSIGNIFICANT YOU THINK IT IS.
I am sooooooooo tired of you guys mudding up the issue.
It's not being removed. It's being added.
Please stop making issues up.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
00slash00 said:
it will be free if you have the collectors edition but everyone else will have to pay $10 for it. now im all for giving people a reason to buy a game new but this does the exact opposite. i have no reason to buy the game new anymore because just to get the complete story i will have to buy the dlc anyway. it just strikes me as a big "fuck you" to the fans. bravo, EA, bravo.
Wow, I didn't know spending an extra 20 pounds or dollars for a collectors edition's special stuff was classified as 'free'. Essentially, everyone will have to/is paying for that piece of extra content however the people purchasing the Standard edition will be getting that small chunk at a slightly pricer cost if you separate and price the extra content of the CE, unless you also get the Normandy armoury included as well then everyone will be getting fairly the same amount of content for the same/similar price. Just be glad they didn't hold it for a month and reveal it after everyone has already completed their X amount of playthroughs of the game before going onto something new.

Additionally, we don't know how much this character will actually lend to the game's story in terms of interesting stuff such as character interactions and contribution. If Bioware is having the character as an incentive then it really suggests that he/she/it is in no way critical to the plot or characters. Yes it is an interesting lore character but I wouldn't expect much more than a few conversations and side/loyalty missions to crop up for it. So if you buy the game, you will be getting the full story. Though logically thinking the fact the Prothean is alive (and apparently rastafarian) is extremely questionable of Bioware. It completely goes against the Reapers and the idea of that machine race having killed entire universes multple times. Also, It also doesn't make sense.

Anyways, it all boils down to if you don't want the DLC, then don't buy it. People who want it already have but no one is forcing you to.

Captcha:
Dammit! How am I meant to write this!

Edit: Just checked a post describing the DLC's content on Bioware forums it will be including the character, a return to Eden Prime, a weapon(potentially weapons) and Alternate Appearances for everyone, Oh Hooray! /sarcasm. Now if the the Eden Prime revisit is seperate from the Squad mate's missions then I'm okay with this DLC. So in the name of the court, Bitchin' and Moanin' Motion Denied!
[sub]Now I need to go and actually buy the game...[/sub]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
00slash00 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2d57caeFUAAAAAAAAAA

basically, an extremely vital part of the mass effect lore and story has been cut out and will be sold as dlc on launch day. it will be free if you have the collectors edition but everyone else will have to pay $10 for it. now im all for giving people a reason to buy a game new but this does the exact opposite. i have no reason to buy the game new anymore because just to get the complete story i will have to buy the dlc anyway. it just strikes me as a big "fuck you" to the fans. bravo, EA, bravo.
As Mr. Zhukov pointed out: this very topic has been made several times already. So I'll post here what I posted elsewhere and hope (but doubt) that you'll put things into a bit more perspective.

RJ 17 said:
While I can understand your frustration with all of this, I have to say that I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective, as are a great number of people.

Indeed, there are a lot of exclusive DLC codes that come with the action figures and art books and collector's edition and everything else. But here's the thing: they're not selling you the codes and giving you an action figure/art book/collector's edition, they're selling you one of the previously mentioned items and, as a bonus, giving you a code. Does it sweeten the deal? Indeed it does...but the DLC codes are not the entire selling point. People that buy such things are super-fans of the series. People that actually want to collect the action figures etc etc. They're buying those items because they want the items. If they get a DLC code with it, kick ass. But that's not why they're buying them. I dare say that anyone who buys those items specifically for the DLC codes quite frankly deserves to be ripped off because they're a frickin' moron.

So you can look at it as them wanting to milk more money from the game by having people buy the collector's edition or pay to download the character. Or you can look at it as them rewarding the fans that are loyal enough to be interested in all the other stuff that comes with the collector's edition by adding a free character to that pile of extra stuff while also offering other people the chance to download that character if they really want to.
Seriously, I wasn't around this site when ME 2 first came out, but I'd have to hope that there was no bitching about Zaeed seeing as how that's likely going to be the exact same case with this DLC. You'll get a bit more story, a bit more lore, but I'm betting that when you go to talk to this extra character, they'll just spout out random lines the way Zaeed and Kasumi did...that alone means "No, they are not integral parts to the game."

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
It's optional.

If you want it, or you're afraid you'll miss out on something, buy it.
If you think it's not worth it, don't.

Zaeed and Kasumi were fun, independent side quests, and nothing more.
I doubt this guy will totally alter the perspective on Mass Effect for anyone.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
So if I refuses to buy this DLC does the game freeze 10 before the end right before Shepard is about to delivery the last series of killing blows? Does a store screen then pop up and state that it I don't buy said DLC then I can not finish the game?

......................................No? then shut up!

If the Reapers are defeated, the game is Completed.