Mass Effect 3 will be incomplete

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Zeel said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:
Let me get this straight. Content is being removed for 10 extra dollars and the jury is in: It's okay because it's not vital? HUH!!!?

PLEASE DEFEND THE REMOVAL OF CONTENT NOT HOW INSIGNIFICANT YOU THINK IT IS.
I am sooooooooo tired of you guys mudding up the issue.
It's not being removed. It's being added.
Please stop making issues up.
"Added" Does original development cycle mean a thing to you? But lets just say its being added for argument sakes; why are they charging us 10 dollars or an extra 20 dollars for content that didn't cost them an additional dime? Fair? Or unethical?

You clearly dont understand the issue.
Urgh. This is why I usually avoid these threads.

Unless you worked on the game you don't know how the planned it. If they initially planned it as DLC then that was taken into account during the development cycle.
And how did it not cost them extra? A highly trained team spent hours working on it. Do you think they were working for free?
Frankly, get over yourself.

Dec 14, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:
Let me get this straight. Content is being removed for 10 extra dollars and the jury is in: It's okay because it's not vital? HUH!!!?

"Added" Does original development cycle mean a thing to you? But lets just say its being added for argument sakes; why are they charging us 10 dollars or an extra 20 dollars for content that didn't cost them an additional dime? Fair? Or unethical?

Unless you worked on the game you don't know how the planned it. If they initially planned it as DLC then that was taken into account during the development cycle.
And how did it not cost them extra? A highly trained team spent hours working on it. Do you think they were working for free?
Don't bother with Zeel, the guy's just come off suspension for pretty much the exact same thing in another ME3 thread.

All you'll get is 'you're warping the issues' over and over again.

It's just easier to ignore him.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
EDIT: Whoops, messed up my quotes. Fixed now.

SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Zhukov said:
No, it's all speculation.

Why anyone would throw these childish online tantrums over purely speculative matters is a mystery to me.

Fucking gamers, man. Most entitled pack of whiners I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
I know, right? How dare the demand value for their money and condemn shameful business practices! Bunch of dicks.
Ah, how timely. I just wrote a post elsewhere [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.351823.13931737] that basically says everything I would have said to you here.

In a nutshell, if you don't think you are being given sufficient value for your money, then the obvious course of action is to simply not hand over your money.

Moving on...

Zeel said:

You don't understand the processes of game development.

In fact, you are wilfully ignorant of said processes, since I have seen more knowledgable and less whiny people explain them to you in detail.

Now hurry up and call someone a moron again so you can get banned.

Aug 25, 2009
I don't care overly, especially because I'm suspicious as to whether he will be vital to the lore as is claimed. I don't think Bioware would leave out an absolutely essential character, I think they'd leave out someone like Zaeed or Kasumi.

However, I do think the whole idea of DLC released on the first day is questionable, and I can see it starting a trend I do not support, and actually predicted back when DLC was young (and got promptly mocked for on this website in particular, funny that)

A game should be released as complete. A full story with all characters and plotlines that it was able to develop for the release date included. If the developers can get it ready for the release date, it should be in the game. DLC is for stuff that couldn't have been gotten ready for release day. It was too complicated, it was superfluous to the main storyline but nice to add to the universe, whatever the reason. It is finished and thus released later, but for less money.

This has been released on release day. They clearly had it ready for that date, but are releasing it separately in order to make more money. This is exactly the situation I predicted nearly three years ago when DLC first really exploded as a means for developers to add content to games.

It speaks of a situation when they really do release games incomplete, and charge full price for the unfinished game plus extra for the content to finish it. My new prediction is that within the next three years that will become the norm.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
EA seems to be doing nothing but give me reasons not to buy Mass Effect 3. Making it Origin-only was a deal breaker for me, now they're doing release-day DLC bollocks. Fuck 'em.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
00slash00 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri0vrJ-y2zM&feature=g-u-u&context=G2d57caeFUAAAAAAAAAA

basically, an extremely vital part of the mass effect lore and story has been cut out and will be sold as dlc on launch day. it will be free if you have the collectors edition but everyone else will have to pay $10 for it. now im all for giving people a reason to buy a game new but this does the exact opposite. i have no reason to buy the game new anymore because just to get the complete story i will have to buy the dlc anyway. it just strikes me as a big "fuck you" to the fans. bravo, EA, bravo.
This is an interesting way to raise the price. So will more games start coming out at $70 now?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Snippy.

Don't bother with Zeel, the guy's just come off suspension for pretty much the exact same thing in another ME3 thread.

Noted. This is why I tend to steer clear of these things.
I'm sure he'll consider this a 'win' now that I'm just ignoring him.
I find myself not giving a fuck. :)

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Zeel said:
Ranorak said:
It's optional.

If you want it, or you're afraid you'll miss out on something, buy it.
If you think it's not worth it, don't.

Zaeed and Kasumi were fun, independent side quests, and nothing more.
I doubt this guy will totally alter the perspective on Mass Effect for anyone.
you are warping the issue. Is it right of EA games to dice up the game for extra cash?

Is there any other industry that can get away with this horseshit? Doesn't matter how "significant" it is. IS it RIGHT?
Yes, yes it's right!

There are plenty of businesses that let you purchase additional extra's for their product, besides it's main use.

Phone companies let you buy additional software all the time.
Hell, some might already be on the phone but in order to use it, you'll have to pay.

It's why they are called EXTRA.

Now, because you believe this isn't an extra, but a part of the whole product, and other people disagree. As earlier DLC-characters have proven. Then maybe you're perspective on what is an extra and what isn't is a bit sided.

Dec 14, 2009
Zeel said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:

Except I presented points and an argument. Might want to learn how to read.
More personal attacks?

You really don't want to be here, do you?

You presented points, yes, but none of them were absolutely correct. You're just as guilty of supposition as the people you claim are wrong.

TotalerKrieger

Nov 12, 2011
Zeel said:
Higgs303 said:
Zaeed and Kasumi were hollow and sloppily implemented compared to the vanilla crew, I imagine this prothean squadmate will follow the same formula...particularily since Bioware admitted that the whole concept was a post-gold afterthough. I don't think I will be missing anything important or interesting by not purchasing this somewhat manipulative DLC.
you realize the difference is Zaeed was free with any purchase?
The prothean costs 10 dollars. Who cares how insignificant it is. They are hacking off games to squeeze more money out of you.
The Kasumi DLC cost a similar amount. I was pretty disappointed with the quality of the mission and the character. Why was there no recruitment mission to further flesh out the DLC characters? Why couldn't the DLC characters engage in proper conversation? The Shepard voice actors must charge a pretty penny for a few bits of dialogue...

This Prothean DLC is clearly a marketing ploy to boost intial revenue. EA/Bioware knows how intregral the Protheans are to the Mass Effect lore, and they know many will not be able to resist something as "controversial" (perhaps not the right word) as a prothean squadmate (probably using the popularity of Legion as a gauge of success). I expect consumers will get a worthless tacked-on character and mission that was really designed to add an extra &10 to the base purchase price. I doubt they hacked anything integral off the base game, but it is a similarily low tactic...

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Maybe I am not understanding this but it seems like this is an evolution to Project $10. With Project $10 buying new got you the Day 1 DLC for free and now they have moved to this where the Day 1 DLC is only free to those who buy the CE (but they are still paying for it).

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Zeel said:
Ranorak said:
It's optional.

If you want it, or you're afraid you'll miss out on something, buy it.
If you think it's not worth it, don't.

Zaeed and Kasumi were fun, independent side quests, and nothing more.
I doubt this guy will totally alter the perspective on Mass Effect for anyone.
you are warping the issue. Is it right of EA games to dice up the game for extra cash?

Is there any other industry that can get away with this horseshit? Doesn't matter how "significant" it is. IS it RIGHT?
Actually there are a lot industries that do that. The auto industry does it. You want heated seats? that is going to cost extra.

Housing Industry. You want nice hardwood floors in your new house? Well that is going to cost extra.

Food industry- you want extra cheese? that is going to cost extra.

I know you are going to say. Hey that is not the same thing! but it is exactly the same thing. Extra time money and resources were spent developing that content. It is not something that is required to finish the game. So why can't they charge more for their effort to provide you a little extra experience.

I think people are under the impression that some big wig walks into the studio and goes hey we need to have some day 1 DLC to charges to customers 10 dollars for so go ahead and cut this part out of the game. When more then likely the decision to add day 1 DLC was more then likely made long before the actual DLC existed.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Zeel said:
Zhukov said:
You don't understand the processes of game development.

In fact, you are wilfully ignorant of said processes, since I have seen more knowledgable and less whiny people explain them to you in detail.

Now hurry up and call someone a moron again so you can get banned.
oh yes, Mister game designer tried to 'explain' it to me back on my thread. What happened? HASAHHHHHHAAA I debunked his meager points.

please oh please explain to me how the "gold period" when artists/designers are free is enough time to write, voice, design and program a squademate and a mission. Either there was enough money and time in the budget or there wasn't.
I must admit, I'm not entirely sure what "HASAHHHHHHAAA" is supposed to mean.

If by "debunked" you mean "threw one of your signature textual tantrums and quickly resorted to hurling insults" then yes, you certainly did that.

As for time and budget...

- DLC projects get their own budget, which is recouped through the purchasing price of that DLC.
- The time is the downtime, often to the tune of 6 months or so, in which content creators would usually be either twiddling their thumbs, looking for a new job or working on other projects while the QA programmers do their thing and await licensing approval.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Zeel said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Zeel said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:
Blunderboy said:
Zeel said:

Except I presented points and an argument. Might want to learn how to read.
More personal attacks?

You really don't want to be here, do you?

You presented points, yes, but none of them were absolutely correct. You're just as guilty of supposition as the people you claim are wrong.
DUDE. Are you kidding me? YOU are allowed to attack me personally but when I CALL YOU OUT ON IT. you want to get all "WAAAAAAH" on me. YOU SAID and I'll paraphrase "IGNORE HIM HE HAS NO ARGUMENT" when I TOLD YOU that is NOT HOW. IT. FUCKING. IS. LEARN. TO.READ. you come back with "OMG PERSONAL ATTACKS"

Stop PERSONALLY attacking me then? FOR FUCK SAKES!!!!

Oh so now its points but because its not absolutely correct everyone should just ignore it. Here's a suggestion, point out the flaws in my argument instead of this "band together lets ignore him" bullshit I keep seeing.
Calm down, seriously.
Crazy stuff.

Anyway, this DLC doesn't sound so great anyway. If I don't buy a version that doesn't have it free I'll probably just not buy it. No big deal.
And if people don't buy it, maybe EA will pay attention to them or something.

Who knows.