Mass Effect 3's Ending Was Intended To Polarize

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Oh the endings definitely aren't as simple as A, B, and C. It's more like R, G, and B.

I expect there's going to be single-player DLC, but the message at the very end makes it seem more like it will be more side content and not a new/continued ending. Not to mention you get thrown back to before starting the Cerberus base mission that kicks off the end game.

Side content DLC works (relatively) great when you can still do it post-game, but as is, it would be pretty weak.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
The Jakeinator said:
I think this is a good case of insane troll logic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InsaneTrollLogic

"Want people to remember the ending to your game."

"MAKE YOUR ENDING SO CONTROVERSIALLY SHITTY AND UNSATISFACTORY, THEY'll REMEMBER IT."
Naaaah, they could have done the Avatar/Fergully/Dances with Wolfs thing where you get hammered with the TECHNOLOGY IS BAD or ORGANIC LIFE ARE ALL MADE OF PURE EVIL bullshit.

Could have been worse

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Isn't it a requirement for something to be "divisive" that a reasonable number of people actually liked it? So far the only meaningful difference in opinion I've heard was on whether the endings were terrible, or merely garden-variety bad.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
"Oh it's okay, we'll give you a real ending later- you'll just have to PAY EXTRA FOR IT."

I know it may not be tactful or diplomatic, but if I had the opportunity to respond to this man's statement in person what'd come out would likely be an unending string of profanity. Seriously, **** you.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
More memorable moments in gaming:
-The bossfights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution
-The entirety of Deus Ex: Invisible War
-The final planet in Knights of the Old Republic 2
-E.T.: The Game for the Atari
-General Custer's Revenge

'Memorable' is not an indication of quality.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
You know what else is memorable, Mr. Hudson? Having a bottle rocket go off in your face.

But then what else is he supposed to say? "We're sorry, but we just didn't have enough budget or manpower to accomplish every possible ending depended on the choices you made in all three game."
That's still no excuse for an ending this shit.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Hey guys, check this out: http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

I hope this is true. It comes from the same guy that discovered the future MP DLC characters. I highly doubt it will be free though.

I love the new captcha system: baked in a pie

I love pies.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Does it surprise anyone that they would try to take a PR spin on the backlash by saying "We meant to do that."?

So after weeks of pure frothing rage, Bioware is pretty much declaring that it was all intentional, and then taking credit for the whole fiasco?

This is why they need to hire proper PR teams, and not the developers.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I don't get all this Death stuff, Shepard was Alive at the end of my game.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I just finished it 6 hours ago. For me the grief about the ending (and only the ending really, the final final portion - because I thought the rest of the game was as enjoyable as I could have expected it to be, even with some surprising perks I never expected) is too near. I do not so much argue with the "choices" - because the last choice was always going to be hacked together at the end of something SO massive and laden with decisions small and large - as with the lack of closure on all fronts and implausibility. I like Joker, hell I love the guy, but there are so many others it was on such a massive scale, that he cannot represent the whole of the outcome to me in any way. To scale it down that far from being so vast an impact just doesn't work.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Hey guys, check this out: http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

I hope this is true.

I love the new captcha system: baked in a pie
I don't see how. Shepard was pretty much vaporized in 2 of the endings.
And the Normandy crew is still stranded on an unknown planet with no way back.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
After all this I have one thing left to say Mr. Hudson:

I played three games.
Invested over 150 dollars.
Waited five years.
Was promised so much and got THIS.

They lied about the ending, they lied about treating every LI the same, they lied about our choices and now they are lying about having a plan.

Screw you Bioware the only gaming company I listen to anymore is Bethesda anymore.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"I didn't want the game to be forgettable, and even right down to the sort of polarizing reaction that the ends have had with people-debating what the endings mean and what's going to happen next, and what situation are the characters left in", he told Digital Trends.
Ironically the ending is extremely forgettable. The controversy is not, but the ending itself is hardly worth mentioning outside of the context of it's suckitude. It's important to remember that less is not always more. A game that had a memorable ending was Fallout: New Vegas. After storming Hoover Dam and killing the general, you're given a slideshow of all you've accomplished. THAT is memorable.

Grey Carter said:
There may be hope for those disappointed by the ending, however. In the more recent interview, Casey mentioned that players will be seeing some "really great single-player content" in the future, lending some credibility to the numerous theories that the game's endings aren't as final as they might first appear.
"We know the ending is controversial, but we intended it. On the bright side, we'll be making lots more DLC for the game that may not have any relation to endgame. But we're under the impression that it will make everyone feel better anyway."

So, Casey, did EA finally decide to devour Bioware's soul, or what?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Casey pretty much has to take this stance. The game releases later this week in Asia and there is no way in hell they are going to admit to any mistakes until they've made bank over there.