Mass Effect 3's Ending Was Intended To Polarize

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
oh yes, we intended to make the ending shit! really! it was all part of our brilliant plan!

what a load of BS

EDIT: fuck them, I'm buying this game used now. Normally I buy bioware games new to support them, But fuck them.

EDIT2: I wonder if the EA marketing team has something to do with this, would make sense

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
The worst part is the little message following that ridiculous final cut-scene telling us to buy their fucking DLC. Its like they've got an actual good ending they're holding hostage to glean more money from us. Bastards...

Jul 22, 2009
They created a divisive ending so fans wouldn't forget about it?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't an incredible ending that truly reflects on the decisions you have made possibly be a tad less forgetful than just a confusing ending that does nothing to tie up the story?

We could've had something really epic, but we didn't and now they're saying it's on purpose?

I just don't buy it.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
bz316 said:
The worst part is the little message following that ridiculous final cut-scene telling us to buy their fucking DLC. Its like they've got an actual good ending they're holding hostage to glean more money from us. Bastards...
I will put money on them actually pulling a broken steel here. But the problem is that the motivation is wrong. They planned this out to make you buy the DLC, I can almost guarantee it.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
So he purposely made it bad so people would remember it!? OMG, this explains the Star Wars prequels, Uwe Boll movies and Twilight!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
So they intentionally made it so that the last five minutes of Mass Effect 3 would make everything you had done in all three games completely meaningless... to make it memorable?

The thresher maw killing a Reaper was memorable. Killing a reaper on foot by shooting it with the entire Quarian fleet, curing the genophage and ending the war between the Quarians and Geth were memorable. That ending was just a slap in the face that made me want to down half a bottle of my anti-depressants and hope to wake up the next morning having only dreamed it.

Mass Effect 3 is amazing until you get to the end. Now I can't even import my next Shepard because I just can't get invested in it anymore after that "fuck you" ending.

Hell I thought of playing the first game again just to wash the bad taste out of my mouth, but I just can't get into that anymore either. Thanks BioWare, you managed to ruin the entire series for me.

Neotericity

Legal Assassin
May 20, 2009
...Great single player content to look forward to in the future. Why can't I have great single player content with the actual fucking game. I've been a huge fan of the series since it came out in 2007, but the dlc never interested me, I don't want to play bite-sized chunks in this universe I play mass effect to dive into an epic journey. This series could have been one of the greatest series of all time, and it still has done so-so-sooo many things right, but to come to the end of a 'supposed' trilogy just to find that the culmination of all your choices is virtually meaningless in both the end decision and the final assault itself is just heartbreaking. I don't mean to sound dramatic with that word choice, but after devoting so much of my personal time and energy into a universe that I absolutely love it truly is heartbreaking to see the team at Bioware's hard work and creativity just end with this truly unsatisfying conclusion, and have the only real difference in the endings being the fucking colour of the laser. But I think the final kick in the cohones had to be the message at the end informing of these 'great' dlc opportunities that'll be arriving shortly, I didn't buy this game to buy dlc. And this entire ugly situation has just completely turned me off of videogames these past few days (I'm sure that'll fix itself soon), but my point is is that going through my mind is if it can happen to Mass Effect, a series absolutely bursting with creativity energy, what else can it happen to? Sorry for the rant, but I obviously feel strongly about the matter so I have quite a lot to say.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
So wait... does that mean...that Casey Hudson intentionally created what can be called the Star Wars of video games...set all this up for the finale...and let us down for the sake of trolling us? Were we just trolled? Was this an all-too elaborate prank just for the sake of screwing with us? Is Bioware run by Lulzsec? Escapist don't ban me for the onslaught of rhetoricals, but this truly does baffle me. As to the actual reason of an artist essentially sinking his own ship. You can't just say,"Oh, I meant to do that," after this. You can say,"I meant to do that," if your buddy tries a backflip and ends up hitting his groin, you can say I meant to do that if your playing with a slingshot and some absurd chaos shot happens that makes something cool happen, you can't say,"I meant to do that," after this. That's bogus, and really immature.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
Sexy Devil said:
Somehow we got through Fallout 3's Broken Steel without seeing a surge of "pay for the ending" games. The only company that's legitimately dumb enough to do that is Square Enix.
Oh, you're absolutely right, I'd completely forgotten about Fallout 3. And ME3's ending couldn't possibly have been worse than Fallout 3's atrocity of an ending.

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Hey guys, check this out: http://i.imgur.com/xjXdX.png

I hope this is true. It comes from the same guy that discovered the future MP DLC characters. I highly doubt it will be free though.

I love the new captcha system: baked in a pie

I love pies.
I despise you.

I was there, ready to write-off ME3 as the best attempt at doing Sci-Fi well in decades. My mind was leaning over the edge on the precipice of acceptance. Then you have to go and post this bullshit!

Then... then I had to go investigate. I devoured Youtube videos pointing out unconscious objections I had while playing through the end; presenting them in a format which brought the disjointed occurrences - that I had convinced myself were due solely to shitty writing - in a coherent fashion which forced me to critically interpret the last few hours of gameplay on an entirely different level.

You and the Youtube video about the Mysteries of ME3's ending have brought me back onto the precipice. I sit in rapt, agonizing anticipation - confirmation or denial of the DLC purported to exist in that image. If the ending was, indeed, an architecture used to display Shepard's altered perception with an intended follow-up package that offered closure...

Oh, what fates you tempt by bringing this information to the light. The mightiest troll, the purveyor of hope, and the instigator of my personal Mass Effect hell. You are all of these things.

sharpe95th

Dec 2, 2009
I for one would've prefered it if at the end of Return of the Jedi Endor and the rebel fleet exploded for no reason and then it cuts to that little dribbley round faced alien that was lando's co pilot crash landing the milenium falcon in a jungle and he gives an enigmatic smile. BUT THEN C3PO wakes up from robot sleep and it was all a dream.

disgruntledgamer

Mar 6, 2012
Casey Hudson doesn't realize there's a difference between "Making a ending the fans will never forget" and "Making an ending the fans will never forgive"

Mass Effect 3 ruined Mass Effect 4 for me it's literally the Spider Man 3 of the franchise except you know worse. I have no interest in this series anymore or buying DLC, it's almost like Bioware is purposely trying to ruin every single one of their franchises one by one.

Here's a good article on the ending and whats wrong with it

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/3/

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
Tank207 said:
Mass Effect 3 is amazing until you get to the end. Now I can't even import my next Shepard because I just can't get invested in it anymore after that "fuck you" ending.
I know exactly what you mean. While I was still dazed, being blind-sided by my utter disbelief at the ending, I made the choice to Synthesize. Afterwards I'd concluded that it's probably better to Control the Reapers, but I'm finding it very, very difficult to play through the last hour or so after they plop you at the Illusive Man's base because I know I'll have to experience some incredibly good chunks of gameplay right before I get blasted again straight to the face with the shit-cannon.

I feel like a recovering alcoholic who just got invited to the company Christmas party. Do I play the game once more to satisfy my moral impedance and satisfy my artificially constructed argument for the Control ending, or let it quietly eat away at me with the understanding that no matter what I do the outcome is guaranteed to be hazardous to my health and mental state of well-being?

*sigh*

Don't worry Liara... We'll always have the masterfully crafted Lair of the Shadow Broker... *sniff*

OH WAIT, THEY PRETENDED LIKE THAT NEVER HAPPENED IN ME3... SONS OF BITCHES!

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Kroxile said:
Its just a bunch of people who have a sad that Shepard actually fucking dies at the end of her trilogy.

Sorry not everything is shit rainbows and vomit skittles in magic fairy wonderland, but sometimes shit just doesn't end that way.

That said; they ought to at least put something in to detail the outcome of the player's choices throughout the game. Other than that the endings were good; leave them alone.
The ending was a mind fuck, as I'm sure 90 others have told you. It should have been a bleak ending, not a ending that was dismissive of all before it and basically a room with three levers, each one a different ending. But they are basically the same room with a different painting on the wall with little things changing on the painting. Like a tree, or a person's face, maybe even a grave.

It pulled what Lost did and try to make it look super sophisticated and smart, but really was just because they had writer's block at the time.

Aiddon said:
at this point I wish people would shut up and move on. Maybe if people were a bit more constructive and respectful instead of acting like mean-spirited little brats who abuse User Reviews I would take them seriously. Whoever resorts to insults first is usually the side not worth siding with. And, of course, it's the gamers. It's ALWAYS the fucking gamers.
Well when you spend 100 hours investing in a world and generally being a giant fan of a certain thing, then that thing basically takes your hard works, burns it, pisses on it and then throws it in the garbage, you should be able to get irate without the Publisher calling you entitled. Then the Dev getting in there and trying to weasel out of your anger.

Granted, anger shouldn't take the place of constructive critism, but as humans we need a place to vent, and here is one of them.

I can understand why people would be pissed, especially about a RPG game. You spend hundreds of hours grinding, finding and getting the best gear, killing bosses and overall trying to perfect the game. But then when all your work is thrown out the window, you complain. Then when you complain the publisher [EA in this case] comes over to tell you your a entitled fuckwad of a person and should get over it. Finally the developer notices you and says that your just being stupid for not understanding their highly deep ending. Yes, because we don't have a right to complain about people's work. If a carpenter builds a house with only one support beam and we complain about it falling over one afternoon they shouldn't say that they meant for that to happen all along.

Now, my take on this. So it was all a big-bang of controversy to sell more copies? But you didn't expect people to get pissy about how you end it. Come on now, foresight and hindsight are helpful, since living in the moment may hurt you later. I haven't beaten Mass Effect 3, but its a ending, which is something that I can watch to experience, not play to.

Out of all of them I liked the Synthesis ending, but my biggest problem is that there is zero closure, and like said previously, its basically pulling a fucking lever to get the ending, not based off of actions*. They all are basically the same freaking thing but a different color of explosion, not much else or less.

*Strangely, this is wrong, since you have to make a action to get a ending, but your past actions don't matter.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
We wanted it to be unforgettable, so we channeled the spirit of Ed Wood.
Hey come on: at least his films were consistent, none of it made any sense....

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
Mass Effect was memorable to begin with; Hudson didn't need to create such divisive endings to ensure it remained so. Frankly, they should have focused on making good endings; the memorability would have come all by itself. Now all Bioware has to show for it is an even more divided fan base than before and some pretty bad PR.

And just so we're clear, BioWare, I won't be buying any DLC for this game, and unless you lot clean up your act, I'm going to hold off on buying any of your games in the future. It's too bad; I'd been wanting to check out Jade Empire.