Mass Effect 3's Ending Was Intended To Polarize

mgs16925

Mar 28, 2008
Raesvelg said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Which would still take them about five years to get to the closest galaxy cluster.
Assuming you're talking about open clusters (the parlance of galactic cluster typically refers to a cluster of galaxies these days, the nearest of which is millions of light years away), I believe my response is:

So what?

Actually, my first response is: You're wrong.

The nearest open cluster is the Hyades cluster, which is only 46 parsecs from Sol. Which is only about 150 light years, in case you don't feel like doing the math. At 12 light years per day travel time, that means that the nearest cluster is only about 13 days away. The next, about 13 more days.
The wiki puts FTL at 12 light years / day, but the in-game codex puts it at 16x lightspeed, 30x for the reapers. Even if we accept the wiki numbers, interstellar communication used comm bouees linked through the relays.

The galactic economy no longer exists, interspecies politics no longer exist, most colonies are isolated fromtheir homeworlds; it would be like if our society woke up tommorrow had no internet or phones beyond our own neighborhood, no airplanes, and no ships faster than the Santa Maria, but cars still worked.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Kroxile said:
Its just a bunch of people who have a sad that Shepard actually fucking dies at the end of her trilogy.

Sorry not everything is shit rainbows and vomit skittles in magic fairy wonderland, but sometimes shit just doesn't end that way.

That said; they ought to at least put something in to detail the outcome of the player's choices throughout the game. Other than that the endings were good; leave them alone.
To me Shepard can die a thousand times over, just give me something that it is mildly rewarding (regarding my decisions) and makes a little bit of sense.

BuddhaGeek

May 12, 2010
...*sigh* I consider myself a pretty good expert on nerdrage (I've played World of Warcraft). This is the first time I've actually felt as if the rage is justified.

I feel like I've wasted 120+ hours of my life and that one of my favorite fictional characters got his knees shot out 10 yards from the finish line.

It is great to have an ending that you don't want people to forget. It is NOT so great when what people will remember is how terrible it was.

....*grumble*...

Death to the Star Child and Space Magic!

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
YodaUnleashed said:
Now let me argue in greater depth, why I think ME3's ending, far from being a terrible dissapointment, is actually a stroke of brilliance. Moral ambiguity has been a central part of the Mass Effect series without being plainly obvious. Most people think the actions and decisions we as players make via the paragon and renegade system is a good vs evil like mantra: a moral dualism that is very black and white. This is most certainly true but with ME3 we are now seeing that many of the decisions we might have made in ME2 or even ME1 such as saving the Rachni, re-writing the Geth heretics or retaining the Genophage data, can have seemingly unforeseeable and negative consequences. Thus, whilst the actions we make might seem black and white, the outcomes and consequences of many of those far-reaching decisions are anything but. The ending to Mass Effect 3 takes this idea to the extreme, giving us three choices to choose from, none of them being either simply right or wrong.
So basically the ending just makes it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR for even the dumbest idiot that black & white morality way of think is.......utterly useless an unreliable.
GASP!! Did i say that out loud? How is it possible that a concept that has been deconstructed and explored over and over and over through all mediums came across as a new thing? Gee, i dont know maybe because people are too lazy to actually care to search for a older and better game/movie/book that already did something like it or because they rushed through the game to get laid ASAP and the ending came very quickly.

Ideally, we're meant to as players really struggle with the choice because there is seemingly no easy or 'right' answer (or for that matter any wrong answer). It is this moral ambiguity which I think makes Mass Effect 3's ending really stand out in a good way from most other long-spanning series' of any genre, because it is ambiguous, it isn't just Commander Shepherd defeating the Reapers and saving the day. Instead, it's unpredictable, unexpected, and seems to intentionally challenge how we might have perceived all the events leading up to the final moment. Sure, you might validly criticise it for being tonally inconsistent or lacking a greater sense of closure or being poorly executed with the copy and paste cut-scenes but personally I think you'd be overlooking what it does achieve very effectively, arguably even profoundly; that of suggesting that sometimes there is no easy, straightforward answer, and sometimes events do occur beyond our control, but we must choose nonetheless.
Again...it has been done before so there isnt really anything that Mass Effect has to stand out other than the horrible implication that people just plain FORGOT years of gaming history (Deus Ex 1, Legacy of Kain. Games that are around making choices on events beyond of their control)
The sole idea that the people here are complaining about not having a happy ending makes me believe that they are complaining less about the bad execution of the endings but more so on the "I AM COMMANDER MOTHERFUCKING SHEPPARD, I SLEEP MY WAY TO THE TOP AND I WANT TO MAGICALLY RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM BY SHOOTING PEOPLE IN THE FACE AND GET PRAISED FOR IT!!"
It almost feel.....Twilight-esque even. The way that people unrealistically believe that there is a romance in that thing makes me feel the same about Mass Effect 3 fiasco is the unrealistic expectations that they were supposed to shoot their way into victory.

Is the fanbase of this game THAT bloodthirsty? Why are they supposed to be any different of the people who play Gears of War??

My main complaint with the ending is that they didn't give you a choice not to choose any of those presented, if for instance, you felt like you were being manipulated or if you felt that all of the choices were terrible and that refusing to accept any of them was actually the right choice, even if it did mean the destruction of all life and the continuation of the reaper cycle.
Good call on that. I also a fourth option, where you use the Reaper technology to brainwash all the ladies of all species to have Unlimited Kinky Sex Works :D (that is what everyone is going to pay for the next DLC ending, of course)

This 3 endings remind me of "Making an Ending for Dummies". More precisely: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoldenMeanFallacy

The choices that were on the game that were black and white became now "Straw Choices" over a third option that its more a Win or Win situation. In the Straw Choices, one side gets fucked over the other but in the "real choice" or the "sane choice" both sides merge together into a perfect species and everybody lives happily ever after. There isnt really a choice when one of the "choices" is clearly designed to appeal more than any other. That is unless the third choice was actually a trap (like you said) and was hinted in the narrative of the game but nop, there wasnt any surprices.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
McMousey said:
Now I remember why I avoid message boards.

I look forward to my banned account, but whatever. GO FUCK YOURSELF SELF ENTITLED FANBOY SHITS
You win an Internet and a special message from the past:

We need urgently a gaming equivalent of Red Letter Media to do a full analyze that is coherent enough to point out what is the deal with Mass Effect 3 ending. The fans are making a miasma cloud of useless opinions that will reinforce the idea that the game ending is working as intended (to polarize) when in reality the people are too dumb to actually think about if it was well designed.

Cranky

Mar 12, 2012
So...Bioware made it suck on purpose just to see the shitstorm it would create. Haha. Sure...

Rynozeros

I'm on a boat
May 13, 2009
I support the push for a DLC to fix things but I certainly won't be spending money on it. I already paid for the game, it should be free. That ending, between the major plot holes, lore errors, disregard of everything in the series and severe lack of closure, is the storytelling equivalent of a game-breaking bug. You wouldn't expect a patch to cost. You shouldn't have to expect this end game fix to cost either.

Sadly, it will. And people will buy it.

Maybe I do feel I'm entitled. But I have a right to be. And I will certainly be voting with my wallet.

Rynozeros

I'm on a boat
May 13, 2009
DioWallachia said:
We need urgently a gaming equivalent of Red Letter Media to do a full analyze that is coherent enough to point out what is the deal with Mass Effect 3 ending. The fans are making a miasma cloud of useless opinions that will reinforce the idea that the game ending is working as intended (to polarize) when in reality the people are too dumb to actually think about if it was well designed.
I think this article sums it up very well.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

Valok

Nov 17, 2010
Rynozeros said:
DioWallachia said:
I think this article sums it up very well.

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H_A7SeawU4&feature=g-all-s&context=G2255890FAAAAAAAAAAA

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
mgs16925 said:
The wiki puts FTL at 12 light years / day, but the in-game codex puts it at 16x lightspeed, 30x for the reapers. Even if we accept the wiki numbers, interstellar communication used comm bouees linked through the relays.

The galactic economy no longer exists, interspecies politics no longer exist, most colonies are isolated fromtheir homeworlds; it would be like if our society woke up tommorrow had no internet or phones beyond our own neighborhood, no airplanes, and no ships faster than the Santa Maria, but cars still worked.
The Codex in ME 1 and 2 clearly stated that FTL speed is limited by charge buildup on EZ cores.

Meaning ANY ship, including reapers, can only travel FTL until the charge on core reaches critical levels. Charge has to either be discharged in planetary or solar magnetic fields or it short circuits the core taking the ship along with it.

Lets see numbers proposed here:
- light-speed is equal to c ... it is also equal to 1 ly/year for obvious reasons
- 12 ly/day is about 4380 ly/year
- 30x light-speed comes out to 30 ly/year

So the numbers given here vary vastly, but none of them was explained in relation to charge limit on EZ core. Unless BioWare retconned the charge limitation, these numbers lack an important parameter: the distance to next possible discharge spot (i.e. next star).

You can go 4300x light speed with ME FTL pseudoscience, but only a very short while due to fast charge buildup. So in order to discharge the core safely, you can only go at speed that will not force your core to short out before you reach next star.

Bottom line: Unless you are a synthetic and have a HUGE amount of time to FTL over long distance, you are screwed without mass relays.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I should preface this right now by saying that I get aggressive and sarcastic in this response. Please know that I am addressing the arguments you are presenting and not you yourself.
I mean no offence, is what I am saying.

Also to other readers:

[HEADING=1]SPOILERS[/HEADING]

YodaUnleashed said:
I don't understand, isn't that what you get? I mean, at the very end, the game throws a deus ex machina at you and gives you three choices, two of those choices being prior ideas beforehand. The third is really the only new choice that you'd probably never considered and or imagined and is obviously the middle ground, the compromise as it were between destruction and domination. Despite what you might think, all your herculean efforts to bring the galaxy together did in a way result in you having these choices in the first place. The Catalyst itself says something along the lines of 'but you are here, my priorities have changed'. The very fact you reached it after all your struggles and are now presented with the three different ways to save the galaxy tells you that what you did was not in vain, that those who sacrificed themselves did so ultimately that you could reach here at the eleventh hour. Sure, you were always going to reach here because it's the end of the game, but if you look at it from a story perspective rather than purely a gaming experience, you realise that everything you achieved has led you here.
That whole thing with the three choices comes out of nowhere and doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's also contrived and silly that the relays blow up no matter which choice you make and it plays out the same way no matter what that choice is. It also spits in the face of quite a few philosophical themes of the franchise in the process.
Plus the Reapers motivation is just dumb.

As for the more specific choices you made in the game, such decisions are ultimately too far-reaching into the future for the ending of Mass Effect 3 to wrap them up in a satisfying way. Better to leave them hanging for possible future explanation then try and shoe-horn them in at the end in a very half-assed and rushed way.
You don't need to give hugely detailed showings of everything to give a sense of the future, just give some kind of indication that these choices are at least acknowledged and have some kind of impact.
Case in point:

Besides, how would you convincingly convey either the Quarians and Geth getting along or reverting to war or the Krogan peacefully breeding or aggressively expanding?
A brief scene where we see a Krogan (like Wrex) shaking hands with a Turian Councilor and maybe a brief clip of Geth and Quarians working together to rebuild Rannoch.
I'm not asking for a massively huge scene, just a little scene that acknowledges that these events happened at all. That's 'leaving it up to interpretation' because it actually gives us a scene to interpret. Cutting to black and never explaining or alluding to it again is NOT the same thing.

These large events need a more thorough and detailed telling and don't really belong in the conclusion of Mass Effect 3; they seem to be issues best left up to the imagination, for now.
Like I said, a simple scene showing how things are currently allows the player to interpret and imagine how it might turn out is favorable to never even acknowledging it happened. I'm going to say it right now, if an author cuts down on content and demands audiences imagine what might have happened without any clues or indications, it is a BAD ENDING.
Somehow I doubt Lord of the Rings would have been very memorable if right after Mt Doom it essentially cut off save for one confusing epilogue and demanded that people 'imagine' what happened next.

Who knows, even with the Mass Relay's kaput, whose to say the races who have been using them for centuries or more wouldn't perhaps have some chance of recreating them and thus allowing a future game in the series (set considerably far in the future of the Mass Effect universe) to show the far-reaching ramifications of Commander Shephards choices in the first three games, through new eyes of course.
Unless this means that they are ready to make a million different versions of this hypothetical new game to account for all the possible changes to the galaxy depending on player choice, then we've run into the big problem here.
They would have to make choices 'canon' in order to make a new Mass Effect game with this model in mind. Which means that the illusion that this is 'our game and our story' falls flat on its face and dies.
All the more reason to, again, give everyone an ending that is at least satisfying.

As for your hope for the future, the shining ray of light, doesn't that final cutscene satisfy?
NO. It bloody does NOT.
Millions upon millions dead, the relays destroyed, galactic society crippled, entire colonies depended on relays destined to starve to death, entire planets unable to ever truly repair themselves and an entire multi-species fleet now stranded in the Sol system with no way to ever leave. Over population, starvation and mass extinction will follow as the Turians can't eat human food, the Salarians don't have enough females to breed, the Quarians can't adapt and the human race has no way to accomodate all these aliens AND repair the damage to Earth.
Best case scenario, only Krogan, Human, Asari and Rachni still survive in the Sol system. And they are all forced to feed on each other to survive.
Galaxy saved!

Also while I'm here let's go ahead and mention how for reasons impossible to understand the Normandy happens to be far away from where Shepard is, near a relay and somehow the whole crew, including whoever you brought with you on the final mission, teleported back on board and get caught in a relay explosion, stranded forever on a distant alien world.
A colony of thirty or so people set to recreate a population based on inbreeding and cannibalism. No closure, no resolution for character arcs, nothing.
Character closure!

It infers to us that life did survive at least in some way
After plagues of famine, inbreeding, disease and technology being pushed back to medieval times. Sure.

and that Commander Sheperd's sacrifice was not in vain,
Not just Shepard's though. How about Legion? Giving its own life so that the Geth may be free and fully sentient and that the Quarians and Geth may be able to coexist in harmony at long last.
Rendered moot by the destroy ending when all the Geth die and the Quarians are stranded millions of lightyears away from the planet that they fought to retake. Or the fact that despite this whole moment of 'peace is possible between machines and organics' the ending told us 'nah, they will always go to war so they must die'.

even if some of the details have been lost to history. That's actually inferring more than just hope for the future, it is the future.
What a lovely future this is...

Regardless of whether you liked the ending or not and were pleased with it or not, these fans making online petitions demanding the ending be changed are acting ridiculously, and here's why...
Look I agree that lashing out with petitions and hostility is immature and pointless (as you can see, all I care about are those action figures) but all the same I really think fans have a right to be pissed off because....

'Hey Bioware, we don't like the creative decision you made, and have the right to make, as authors with an artistic vision, and we, self-entitled thinking fans, believe we deserve a better ending, what with all the time we've invested in this franchise, and so we are petitioning you to give us one, disregarding or ignoring how you guys (the games creators), feel the story should end. Disliking it is not enough, we demand you change and alter you're vision to suit our needs.'
'Hey Bioware we don't like the poor decision you made, while you have a right to make it, as developers who promised that the ending would actually acknowledge our choices and be satisfying. As paying customers who bought the game based on the promise YOU made, we believe you owe us a better ending and so are petitioning that you make a new one that actually delivers on what you promised and more importantly makes sense.
Understand Bioware that you have told us from day one that this is OUR story, which means we have the right to be angry when the ending is just bad.'

That's the thing you are missing here, Bioware promised us more then this. It's not being 'entitled' to demand a developer follow through with a promise that they made. As far as the argument 'Bioware can do whatever they want in the ending of their story', Joe Dirt said it best:
"That's the thing, it's not what you like, it's what the consumer likes."

You make a game like this for the fans and for the people who will play it. Fans who have followed the game for over five years, fans who have bought DLC, comics, novels, toys, posters from the franchise who were all waiting to see how it ends.
This is NOT a story for Bioware's sake, it is supposed to be for OUR sake, as Bioware consistantly said throughout the marketting for five years. We paid for the games, we fell in love with the characters, we immersed ourselves in the game world. These games touched us and impacted us on an emotional level.
Bioware may have the right to do whatever they want but they should also have responsibility to the fans to not dissapoint.

Now let me argue in greater depth, why I think ME3's ending, far from being a terrible dissapointment, is actually a stroke of brilliance.
We must disagree on that. 'Normandy disappears into relay and your team have magically teleported onto it in the last five minutes and vanishes into the ether and finds itself having to being a whole colony on an unknown planet' does not wow me.
That's the thing, it's not just depressing, it's idiotic as well.

Moral ambiguity has been a central part of the Mass Effect series without being plainly obvious. Most people think the actions and decisions we as players make via the paragon and renegade system is a good vs evil like mantra: a moral dualism that is very black and white. This is most certainly true but with ME3 we are now seeing that many of the decisions we might have made in ME2 or even ME1 such as saving the Rachni, re-writing the Geth heretics or retaining the Genophage data, can have seemingly unforeseeable and negative consequences.
By which you mean, can be rendered totally pointless. Yeah?
Save or kill heretic geth?
Who cares, galaxy is fucked and the Geth all die.
Cure Genophage or not?
Doesn't matter, Krogan leadership is still doomed to be in ruin and it won't have any large scale effects anytime soon.
Save Rachni or kill Rachni?
Galaxy doomed, no point.
Stay faithful to Ashley or move on?
Given that you will unavoidably be seperated by the void of time and space, who cares?
Save the Collector base or destroy it?
Cerberus is evil no matter what and it doesn't stop the galaxy from being fucked in the end.

Thus, whilst the actions we make might seem black and white, the outcomes and consequences of many of those far-reaching decisions are anything but. The ending to Mass Effect 3 takes this idea to the extreme, giving us three choices to choose from, none of them being either simply right or wrong.
They. Are. All. The. Same.

Seriously it comes down to what color explosion you want for the ending. We get no indication as to what the future of the galaxy is other then the old man and the kid on the distant planet that, again, plays no differently depending on what you chose.

Ideally, we're meant to as players really struggle with the choice because there is seemingly no easy or 'right' answer (or for that matter any wrong answer). It is this moral ambiguity which I think makes Mass Effect 3's ending really stand out in a good way from most other long-spanning series' of any genre, because it is ambiguous,
Yes the eternal question of what color you want the ending explosion to be keeps me up at night, let me tell you.

it isn't just Commander Shepherd defeating the Reapers and saving the day.
Frankly I think you did more damage to the galaxy then the Reapers could ever dream of doing. At least with the Reapers it's relatively quick, now the galaxy gets to die much slower as, again, entire planets reliant on intersteller resources that needed the relays are doomed to slowly starve.

Instead, it's unpredictable, unexpected, and seems to intentionally challenge how we might have perceived all the events leading up to the final moment. Sure, you might validly criticise it for being tonally inconsistent or lacking a greater sense of closure or being poorly executed with the copy and paste cut-scenes
I'm glad you acknowledge that it comes out of nowhere with no explanation whatsoever. That's one of the reasons I hate it so much.

but personally I think you'd be overlooking what it does achieve very effectively, arguably even profoundly; that of suggesting that sometimes there is no easy, straightforward answer, and sometimes events do occur beyond our control, but we must choose nonetheless.
Yeah, okay that's an interesting point. But frustratingly, Shepard never addresses that and we aren't given a reason that makes sense for why these are our only three options. Part of me almost thinks that one of the reasons that the endings are all the same and don't involve player choice up until that point was as a way to accomodate the Action Mode playrs.
And if that's the case then I bloody want to kill everyone on Earth.

My main complaint with the ending is that they didn't give you a choice not to choose any of those presented, if for instance, you felt like you were being manipulated or if you felt that all of the choices were terrible and that refusing to accept any of them was actually the right choice, even if it did mean the destruction of all life and the continuation of the reaper cycle.
I'm just annoyed I couldn't make Shepard say this:
"So, you are a race of synthetics designed to destroy all advanced organic life so that advanced organic life can't be destroyed by synthetics. Please say that to yourselves out loud a few times and see if you can spot the glaring flaw here."

I mean, how earth-shattering (quite literally) would that have been, if after all you've been through, all you've committed to stopping the Reapers, that you're commander Shephard sees each choice as being as detestable as the other and would rather let the cycle continue, realising it is actually the 'right' choice. Of course, this could not be a canonical ending (unlike the other three which have the potential) because this would effectively re-write the Mass Effect universe meaning any future games could not include any of the races we already know. It would also be incredibly dark and bleak, even nihlistic and highly unsatisfying, but at least then you would still have the choice, which is what Mass Effect is all about right? Still, I understand why they didn't include it, assuming they considered it in the first place, probably because of its lack of canonicty viability and the fact you actually lose the fight as opposed to sort of win by changing the circumstances. Plus, it would probably grate for many people as being 'out of character' beyond mere divergence, but then characters are hardly fixed and can change given the right circumstances.
This is all very interesting stuff and I'm not really inclined to argue. Look understand that I'm not going to harrass Bioware or their staff or hammer on their door or protest or sign petitions. I'm in the 'acceptance' stage of my Mass Effect grief (with a bit of bargaining with the Play Arts Kai line) but I both understand and feel is justifed, people's reasons for being pissed about this.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
mgs16925 said:
I never actually saw a reference to an established FTL speed in the codex, other than saying it goes as high as 200x light speed. The 12 ly/day is, however, from an in-game statement made by Ashley.

16x light speed, on the other hand, is ridiculous. The Reapers would have invaded while Shepard were still in the opening stages of ME1 if that were the case. 16x means it takes months to reach the closest stars, and the average mission had Shepard traversing significantly more than that, twice. The mass relays aren't in every system, after all, just the framework of a way to get within, say, 50 ly of your target system and use normal FTL to travel the remaining distance.

And yes, the old system used comm buoys. But, if you were paying attention, people were installing the quantum entanglement communicators aboard ships and planets between ME2 and 3, so there's actually a form of instant communication available at that point.

There's some question as to whether or not the QECs were sufficiently widespread to form the backbone of a new communication system, but even if they weren't, it would be the matter of a single human lifetime to propagate such a system across the entire galaxy if sufficiently motivated.

And let's not forget, if you took the Destruction or Synthesis endings, you have all these dead Reapers lying around. Lying around with their supposedly incredibly massive eezo cores.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
"There may be hope for those disappointed by the ending, however. In the more recent interview, Casey mentioned that players will be seeing some "really great single-player content" in the future, lending some credibility to the numerous theories that the game's endings aren't as final as they might first appear."

Oh, well that makes it better. They gave you 3 crappy endings but if you buy the DLC, you can get the "True" ending. Maybe the Antispirals come back and you can go all Giga Drill Breaker on them again.. er wait that's Gurren Lagaan. I keep getting them confused.

But, sorry EA, Square Enix had the idea of selling the real ending separately first. Please try and be insufferably evil and exploitative of your customers in new and different ways.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
PingoBlack said:
The Codex in ME 1 and 2 clearly stated that FTL speed is limited by charge buildup on EZ cores.

Meaning ANY ship, including reapers, can only travel FTL until the charge on core reaches critical levels. Charge has to either be discharged in planetary or solar magnetic fields or it short circuits the core taking the ship along with it.

Bottom line: Unless you are a synthetic and have a HUGE amount of time to FTL over long distance, you are screwed without mass relays.
50 hours is the stated figure that a ship can run, on average, before it has to shed charge. That can vary up and down, depending on size of the ship/core, but it seems like a reasonably solid number.

12 ly/day is an in-game stated speed phrased specifically as nothing special (only a dozen light years, no more than a day's cruise), so that means that the average ship in the ME universe has an effective range in excess of 25 light years.

I challenge you to find a space where you can't find a single solitary planet to discharge your cores at within 25 light years. And let's not forget, the galaxy is reasonably well surveyed at this point, at least within the established corridors of the mass relay network. This isn't blind exploration, just simple planet hopping.

Seriously people; if you want to be upset with the endings for a decent reason (lack of narrative flow, lack of resolution, etc), feel free to do so. I'm rather irritated with the lack of resolution myself.

But the whole "OMG GALAXY TOTALLY DOOMED EVERYONE DIEEEEEESSSSSS!!!" bit is just... wrongheaded and irritating. Sure, some of the minor space stations and outposts are screwed, but the rest? Not so much.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
Since when did Hedeaki Anno joined Bioware? Because only that man could come up with that kind of endings.

Or did Bioware just have a Neon Genesis Evangelion marathon during the development phase?

Because this one of the most infuriating examples of a Gainax Ending [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GainaxEnding] since Neon Genesis Evangelion.
(btw the endings are already an entry on the trope page)

Hell the NGS ending is now looking better than the shit endings that Bioware gave us.

So is Mass Effect 3 going the Fallout 3 Broken Steel like recton DLC?

I hope so, because if Bioware don't fix this Dragon Age 3 will suffer and I'm pretty sure it won't sell well or won't reach the target sale EA have hoped for.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Raesvelg said:
50 hours is the stated figure that a ship can run, on average, before it has to shed charge. That can vary up and down, depending on size of the ship/core, but it seems like a reasonably solid number.

12 ly/day is an in-game stated speed phrased specifically as nothing special (only a dozen light years, no more than a day's cruise), so that means that the average ship in the ME universe has an effective range in excess of 25 light years.
Uhm, this is not correct. Sorry. Let me break it down:
- 50 hours is a measure of time. But it is not enough data to define a data point, as you didn't mention at what speed. I pointed out before, charge buildup is related to the speed, so faster you go faster charge builds up. So your core can run 50 hours before shorting out ... But at what speed? (valid data point would be 50 hours of FTL @ 15x c)
- 12 ly/day is a measure of speed. This is a combination of time and distance. Again, the number itself is not a valid data point, because it ignores the charge buildup rate. So you know that very high speed of 4400x c is possible, but you have no info how long it can be sustained. (valid data point would be (12 ly/day for max duration of 1 hour before core shorts).

Effective range cannot be determined from these data points.

Eveonline100

Feb 20, 2011
VonKlaw said:
Why? Why would you deliberatly make an ending this "divisive"...and not even in a good way? Isn't the whole point of media to get people to LIKE your media (all of it, including the ending) so they buy more?
congrautlaution your now smarter than bioware.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
In other words: Everyone got trolled by EA and Bioware.
Well, at least I can admire the balls it took to break the hearts of all those gamers.

Me? I'm used to "Scorched Earth" endings in Sci-Fi stories.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
I'm still amazed at how the ending is a total rip off from Deus Ex.

Seriously, it's the exact same options.