Mass Effect 4 Will Not Feature Shepard or "Shepard 2"

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
So they gave you that crappy ending to the trilogy... and then they are continuing the series?! I dont see why they didnt just do what I said they should do, especially given that they are continuing the series as that is the primary concept behind my idea.

Basically my idea was that Shepard failed against odds that he really shouldnt have beaten anyway, and the series continues 50,000 years later with new races who have a better chance of beating the Reapers because of your efforts in the first 3 games and the things Shepard and the Alliance left behind. That would have explained a 4th game in the series, the current ending certainly does not.

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
They'll bring Shepard back in some way. She won't be the main character, and she probably won't be in the game itself for very long, but they'll find a way to give her a cameo.

My question is this: Assuming they set the game after Mass Effect 3, how are they going to do it? While each ending in 3 is pretty much the same, there are some HUGE differences between them. Is BioWare just going to pick one of the three endings and decide, "Yep, that's what happened," or are they going to make it so the game can read our save files?
It'll likely take place before ME3 and have little to nothing to do with the original trilogy's plotline.

This isn't a surprise since they all but said this at 2's announcement. Personally I can't wait to see whatever they do and I'm really anxious to see what direction the franchise goes.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Legion said:
Not even a soldier? Even after sacrificing so many of the decent story elements in order to make Mass Effect 3 a great third person shooter?

We always knew it wouldn't be Shepard though. They said before ME3 even came out that it'd be the last game based around them. Obviously Bioware are not particularly well known right now for saying things and sticking to them, but it's not that surprising that they have ended Shepards story.
Mediocre 3rd person shooter.

Metals Arms: Glitch in the System was a great third person shooter. After ME1 Bioware didn't know if they wanted to make a cover based shooter or an RPG, and ended up doing both at the cost of doing neither very well. It's competent, at best, but don't mistake it for something better than it is.

Shitty ending and everything else aside, I really don't see how they can top the ME trilogy with another ME series unless it's set after Shepherds final choice was made. And if they did THAT they'd basically have to write and develop 3 different games because different people chose different endings.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Jonathan Bolding, thank you for putting this out here. Might of been diluted into thinking Shepard might come back and have a happy ending otherwise.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
I know I'll repeat myself, but anytime I hear Shepard2 only thing I can think is this
That's what happened to Shepard2 :D

LongMuckDong

Aug 23, 2011
The King is Dead (probably...)

Long live the King (Commander Kintaro 'Shepardio' or whatever universal last name is thought up by 2014) :)

Nelires

Mar 9, 2011
No no no no no no no. Just no.
*slaps Bioware*

Mass Effect is done. It ended. Don't go trying to milk your money cow until she's nothing but an unattractive skinbag with bones. Let her end looking beautiful like she was in life.

It's not Mass Effect without Shepherd and Bioware's only going to ruin a good thing if they pursue an ME4.

jamesbrown

Apr 18, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
For everyone asking what implications regarding the Reapers will have on ME4, consider this: The Collector Base's impact on ME3.
This is the most intelligent thing I have heard on this forum: +10 kudos

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
I'd buy the game if I can be an alien from any race. Being a human made me stand out as a sore thumb in the Mass Effect universe and honestly the Alliance had nothing going for it. All the soldiers and human characters were dull compared to every other character i've gotten to know such as Wrex, Tali, Garrus, Liara, Legion, Mordin, Thane, EDI, Javik- these guys were as developed and human like as a .. well, human! Only human characters I felt close to were Jack and my own Shepard.

Hopefully ME4 can be a great game that has an amazing storyline, even if we can't be an alien ourselves. We'll still most likely have alien companions, someone to be with romantically, and further ourselves into the ME universe. Or it can crash and burn leaving Bioware in the biggest ditch a person can dig for him/herself... but I like being optimistic so GO ME4!!
#IwouldplayasanElcor.jpg

On topic however:
Short answer: No
Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooo.....oooo....oooo.

I never played the trilogy, but, with me being spoiled on what it is, there should be no more.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Aurora Firestorm said:
BaronIveagh said:
But who would buy it at this point, after so much fail on 3?
All of us who liked 3's ending, like me, or those of us who didn't care about the 10 less-than-good minutes at the end of a 3-game series. You guys are all whinier than Star Wars fans. Good grief.
For me, what i've heard and seen of Mass Effect 3 dissapointed me enough to make me not buy and play it at all. I was expecting my choices to have more weight than a few numbers and some minor differences at the end.