Mass Effect Comics Free For 24 Hours

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mass Effect Comics Free For 24 Hours

For the next 24 hours, Dark Horse Comics is offering the entire breadth of its two Mass Effect comic series free of charge.

This generous move comes in anticipation of the upcoming Dark Horse/BioWare panel at this year's San Diego Comic Con (scheduled for July 23).

This also serves to generate hype for the newly announced Mass Effect: Invasion comic, which Dark Horse will launch in October. From the official announcement:

BioWare, a division of Electronic Arts, and Dark Horse Comics announced today Mass Effect: Invasion, a four issue comic series detailing the events following Commander Shepard's epic journey in the critically acclaimed Action Role Playing Game Mass Effect 2. Starting today only fans can visit the Dark Horse Digital Store to download previous issues of the Mass Effect comic book series and will also get an exclusive first look at Mass Effect: Invasion.

With a story by Mass Effect lead writer Mac Walters and an original script by John Jackson Miller, best known for his work on Star Wars: Knight Errant, and art from Omar Francia who also did work on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, Mass Effect: Invasion focuses on Aria T'Loak, a self-appointed queen of Omega, a space station catering to the galaxy's underworld. T'Loak is a key figure in the Mass Effect universe and must defend her territory from a terrifying new threat unleashed by the pro-human black-ops organization Cerberus. Mass Effect: Invasion will launch its first issue this October.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that word of this publicity stunt has washed over the Internet geek culture like a voracious swarm of geth. Prospective fans have flooded the firm's servers, and the Dark Horse Digital Store is currently down [https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/11/].

The promotion ends on July 14 at 3PM EST, so hopefully at some point in the next 21 hours the flood of server requests will abate. Until then, find some way to amuse yourselves. I hear BioWare is making interesting games these days.

Source: Dark Horse Comics [http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/495/mass-effect-invasion-announced-digital-extravaganz]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have both minis already, but I might download it simply because its free.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Thanks for pointing this out, guess I know what I'm going to camping for the next 21 hours *reaches for flask of earl grey tea*

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
The bad news is that word of this publicity stunt has washed over the Internet geek culture like a voracious swarm of geth. Prospective fans have flooded the firm's servers, and the Dark Horse Digital Store is currently down [https://digital.darkhorse.com/browse/11/].
Much like the Genophage this is good news and bad news. On the one hand, I'd love to check out the comics for free. On the other, I can't.

Fappy said:
I have both minis already, but I might download it simply because its free.
Fappy, I love your Mao avatar, my brother has one too over on his forums, gg sir.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
damn it to bloody hell! the page is down.....is it piracy if i "liberate" a copy of the series online in the 24 hour period?

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Their servers didn't ask for this.

Edit:
008Zulu said:
Here's a caveat;

Free to read, if you want to keep you still have to buy it seems.
Nothings stopping you from saving the images somewhere on your computer... Right?

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Gather said:

Edit:
008Zulu said:
Here's a caveat;

Nothings stopping you from saving the images somewhere on your computer... Right?
Morality. So, yeah, no.

OT: Looks cool. I don't like the art style, but I will forward this to my friend who is a huge fan of this.

Brainst0rm

Apr 8, 2010
CM156 said:
Gather said:

Edit:
008Zulu said:
Here's a caveat;

Morality. So, yeah, no.

OT: Looks cool. I don't like the art style, but I will forward this to my friend who is a huge fan of this.
They are offering their product digitally, on the internet, for free.

Context can trump morality. If they undertook this expecting anything else, then morality should compel us all to do it, so that they learn their lesson and never do it again. We're just saving them heartache in the future ;D

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
I don't get this, surely they must have known people on the internet are sometimes interested in free stuff? And they are showing large high quality images to everyone, one at a time and don't even allow people to download stuff directly but force them to navigate through their website everytime they want to switch to a new site.

Seriously, how could they not see the downtime coming?

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
twaddle said:
damn it to bloody hell! the page is down.....is it piracy if i "liberate" a copy of the series online in the 24 hour period?
...You know... that is a REALLY good question.

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
twaddle said:
You mean so that you can read it for free whenever you want after the 24 hour period is up? Because if that's what you're talking about, yeah, probably.

Brainst0rm said:
Context can trump morality. If they undertook this expecting anything else, then morality should compel us all to do it, so that they learn their lesson and never do it again. We're just saving them heartache in the future ;D
This is why we can't have nice things.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Oh cool, once the servers get back up I'll definitely be downloading these.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Until then, find some way to amuse yourselves.
Back to Cthulhu Saves The World then!

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Sadly the site is not back up yet... and for a while I was actually able to view the first one for a brief time before the site timed out.

:(

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I wants, but I can't since:
- not using my computer
- store is offline last I checked, so no download.