Mass Effect Comics Free For 24 Hours

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hm. I've read Redemption before.

It, uh... wasn't very good. In fact, it was rather bad.

Can't say I'm exactly giddy with excitement at the prospect of reading the rest of 'em.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
Zhukov said:

Can't say I'm exactly giddy with excitement at the prospect of reading the rest of 'em.
The Mass Effect story seems to work better as a game. I'm sure it could be changed into something more easily consumable in movie, book, or comic form... but it might lose its sparkle without player choice.

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
Richardplex said:
Thanks for pointing this out, guess I know what I'm going to camping for the next 21 hours *reaches for flask of earl grey tea*
Good sir, I shall be doing the same. "reaches for pot of black coffee and IV drip*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
MmmFiber said:
Zhukov said:

The Mass Effect story seems to work better as a game. I'm sure it could be changed into something more easily consumable in movie, book, or comic form... but it might lose its sparkle without player choice.
I think it was the pacing that screwed it, at least for me. Packing a fairly complex story, complete with plot twists, into a few 30-page comics necessitates a major development every 5 pages or so. The end result comes across as rather... frenetic.

Also, Mass Effect's dialogue can be a bit corny at the best of times. The lack of convincing verbal delivery does not help.

TehAardvark

Apr 4, 2011
Evolution was pretty good, but yeah that was the only good one I've read. I think the problem was the amount they tried to cram in. Evolution was better paced because in-universe it all happened in a fairly short time period.

Roserari

Jul 11, 2011
"Oh, hey, look, we're giving away things for free!" Said the owners of the massively popular franchise. "I'm betting nobody will get it tho. So no need to soup up the servers"

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Great idea, few millions of fans of a game... Let's make them all want to download our stuf.

Whoops. What do you mean servers have capacity? WHY IS IT NOT UNLIMITED, YOU'RE FIRED.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
They're not free right now.

$5.97 for the Mass Effect: Redemption bundle.
$7.96 for the Mass Effect: Evolution bundle.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Managed to add the comics to my collection so far but when I click to read them I just get a page with the comic's title printed in bold capitals.....

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
Finally able to log in, no comics though. On any other day, this would have been an epic DOS attack, from the likes of Anonymous.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
erbkaiser said:

I added them to my checkout with that listing price and in the checkout it lists them as $0.00, strange system but whatever works.

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
erbkaiser said:

Just read them anyway. They won't charge you. Not until the deal expires anyway.

Finally managed to grab them this morning. Last night when it was announced I couldn't go anywhere on the site. I guess it's because the US is sleeping right now, hehe.

I actually have Redemption comics somewhere in the house, but doesn't hurt to grab the digital version. Saves me from having to get them out of their sleeves.
008Zulu said:
Here's a caveat;

Free to read, if you want to keep you still have to buy it seems.
If you create an account, it gets added to your collection when you read it. Thus, you "own" it.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Okay, I'm officially lost. I can't even find the checkout on the Dark Horse website so I can't get my comics. Can somebody help please?

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Hagi said:
Managed to add the comics to my collection so far but when I click to read them I just get a page with the comic's title printed in bold capitals.....
I've got the same issue. Can anyone help with this?

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Anezay said:
Hagi said:
How did you add them to your collection exactly?

Anezay

Apr 1, 2010
Amethyst Wind said:
Anezay said:
Hagi said:
How did you add them to your collection exactly?
Follow the link to the store. Click on one of the collections. There you'll see a link that says "read now"

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Anezay said:
This is what it looks like, by the way:
I got that. I've got all of Redemption and Evolution in my collection (as well as an issue of Hellboy for some reason), no idea how to actually read the things now.