Mass Effect Fans Stand By Child's Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect Fans Stand By Child's Play

Only a "handful" of people requested refunds of their Retake Mass Effect 3 Child's Play donations.

The wildly successful Retake Mass Effect 3 Child's Play donation drive took on a tinge of ugliness when Jerry Hokins, better known as Tycho of Mass Effect 3 [http://www.penny-arcade.com/], which led to a "high number of people asking for their donations back."

The thought of hordes of angry gamers willing to fork over a few bucks for a "better" ending to a videogame but not to help out seriously sick kids doesn't make the best impression ever, but as it turns out, things weren't actually as bad as all that and the demand for refunds stayed pretty much flat even in the wake of the Retake drive.

"PayPal disputes are not uncommon - people have stolen cards, donate in error or a host of other things, and we are always happy to refund money," Child's Play Project Manager Jamie Dillion told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/12/retake-mass-effect-3-donations-remained-largely-with-childs-p/]. "It does make it impossible, though, to pinpoint which refunds may have been from Retake Mass Effect and which are related to regular disputes."

"Essentially, there were a handful of people who requested their donation returned, which we did," she said. "The large majority of the funds were not returned and will be distributed to the hospitals as normal."

That's good news. No matter what you may think about the Retake campaign, coming up with 80 grand to support such a worthwhile charity is an amazing show of kindness and generosity, and it's heartening to hear that the stories of aggrieved Mass Effect fans demanding their money back because it wasn't going to buy them a new ending were overblown.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Its good to see the charity finally come out and confirm this. People were really blowing the refund thing out of proportions. Generalizations are a specialty of the gaming community >.>

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Fappy said:
Its good to see the charity finally come out and confirm this. People were really blowing the refund thing out of proportions. Generalizations are a specialty of the gaming community >.>
Hey the people in charge of Retake Mass Effect said as much when they announced the cancellation two weeks ago! But no one listens to a bunch of spoiled fanboys. Did you hear about the campaign to take Dark Souls off GFWL? FIRST they want a company to keep it's promises and NOW they want to actually be able to PLAY a game!?!THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE! Why Back in my day...
Yeah, what a bunch of assholes! God forbid the gamers actually TRY to hold publishers/developers responsible and fix the shitfuck fuckshit that the industry has gotten itself into because greedy asshats.

Ceratops

Jan 25, 2012
Such a nice ending to this story. The fanboys get some DLC, and the charity gets a substantial donation to a worthy cause.

May 17, 2010
Well I'm glad the charity wasn't inundated with requests for cash back. And it was just a handful of bad eggs that wanted their cash back.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Why Back in my day...
Back in your day, a single game would be released on a book of floppys in episodic format, and you would sometimes even get the third episode of a game in any given series.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Roboto said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Why Back in my day...
Back in your day, a single game would be released on a book of floppys in episodic format, and you would sometimes even get the third episode of a game in any given series.
A....third episode? Such a thing is possible?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
In before "OMG THIS DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING" and "YOU ARE ALL STILL TOO ENTITLED WTF BBQ" posts.

Or the more annoying variant, "This is just a vocal minority, the truth is out there!!".

Pontifex

Mar 17, 2010
Das Boot said:
Fappy said:
Well actually the only thing the article says is that its impossible to determine the number of people from the mass effect donations wanted refunds.
No, it says that they couldn't tell how many of the refund requests were related to pissed off Retakers, but that the number of refunds given was around the same level as it usually is.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
RaNDM G said:
Way to go, Tycho.
This was my first thought as well. Mr. Holkins actually lied, or at least misrepresented facts, to the detriment of a group supporting his charity. Considering how much I respect the PA guys, that is rather disappointing.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Surprised at Tycho here.... funny how one carelessly structured/ throwaway sentence can wrongly influence a whole conversation topic.

Im also suprised at the complete absence of anti retake mass effect trolls screaming 'spoiled fan boy etc.' on this thread.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
Considering the nature of EA/BW's response, thus far, I think the majority of those mindlessly raging for and against the matter have been placated/gotten bored.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Nice to hear that the fans realize taking money away from children because it wasn't directed at making a new ending for them doesn't help their cause. Good on you. Now send me cupcakes.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Oh, it's good to know it was only a handful. Though asking money back from a charity is still a messed up thing to do.
Anyway, hurray for the children :)