Mass Effect Movie in the Works

deeminllama

Jun 18, 2010
I say the following as an avid enthusiast and watcher of science fiction?

The Mass Effect universe has the potential to make for an extremely good and profitable franchise. I think that this is the summary of my following exposition as it is the point I constantly return to.

I would like to start with a few of the comments I?ve read on the post here. Firstly, for all those who complain about the movie due to the fact that it destroys the personal choice of how the story unfolds, the RPG experience etc. and how this would ruin the movie?nobody cares. For it would do so only for you. The people making this movie are not going to, and should not, worry about what the (I think optimistically) 5 million people who bought the game thinks. They are not, and they should not be, planning on making their profit of off you (the gamers) whilst there is a much larger, already established science fiction fan-base or simply an already much larger and established movie-going population. In connection with this: it?s the same old book VS movie-based-on-book argument. They are two completely different mediums through which to tell a story and subsequently there will be differences because everything simply does not translate both ways ? so stop complaining that it wasn?t like the book.

Secondly, you can not and should not try to make a single, 2 hour movie from the first game. Sheppard can not save the entire galaxy the first time round. The fictional world is too big, there is too much information for audiences to pick up in a single dose. I was playing Mass Effect 1 recently and realized that, if done and written correctly, then up until the point where Sheppard gets the Normandy will be a good first film. This will give more than a good enough introduction to the world and set the scene for the following movies. This of course brings me essentially to my main point:

The Mass Effect universe is extremely large, complex, deep, and well fleshed out. As such it would make for a good science fiction franchise - franchise being the operative word here. Lets face it, the only 2 major franchises we have is that of Star Wars or Star Trek. I am a fan of both but something new in the science fiction department would really be welcomed. Furthermore, Mass Effect fills a niche which I think neither Star Wars or Star Trek does. You have your space opera Star Wars on the one hand (the more action and special effects driven sometimes) that mostly draws a younger crowd and on the other your more intellectual, sophisticated, plot-driven Star Trek that mostly draws an older crowd. I know that I am extremely simplifying things but I would not be the first to do so between these two. Furthermore, both Star Wars and Star Trek however lean more towards the ?fantasy sci-fi? ? if I can phrase it like that. Technology is so far ahead of us that it is to some extent magical and mystical in that it can do everything ? in Star Wars it is never explained and in Star Trek it is essentially ?techno babble?. In essence, the science fiction aspect there of is to some extent far removed from us.

Mass Effect however presents both an action orientated universe as well as the possibility of an intellectual and smartly written one. Furthermore, I think it gives us a science fiction universe that is more immanent, more tangible, more real, and more easily understandable (and therefore able to connect to) then either Star Wars or Star Trek does.

With the current upswing in science fiction interest within the movie industry (Google a bit) I think that Mass Effect, if done properly, could become an incredibly good science fiction franchise. A franchise that can bring at just the right time something fresh into the mix and probably rake in the growing interest. A franchise that could give the rebooted Star Trek franchise a serious run for its money.

I really do hope that the people who are working with this realize this and are not so short-sighted that they treat Mass Effect as a quick buck to be made but that they see the potential franchise that lies behind it.

gamerchic

Jan 18, 2011
ME1 and ME2 cast list-------
shepard- SAM WORTHINGTON or hugh jackman or gerard butler
tali-zoe saldana
garrus-wentworth miller
wrex-mickey rourke
joker-seth green or james marsden
dr chawkwa-ellen mirren
samara-rebecca romijen or michelle pfeiffer
thane-daniel craig
jacob-vin desiel
liara-halle berry
ashley-angelina jolie
illusive man- ian mckellan
jack-famke janssen or natalie portman
grunt-liv schrieber
mordin- hugh jackman (bc he sings the same song in Kate in leopold) lol
miranda-naomi watts

anyway thats what i came up with. :)

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Be awesome if it was high quality CGI and could use all the original voice actors. If it must be live action maybe even the voice actors themselves if they could pull it off well.

I've never seen her in an action role but Mila Kunis might be able to work as Ashley. They have similar looks and voices. And they'd have to get Seth Green to be Joker. Actually, a fair number of the voice actors have already been on the big screen, might as well use them. Martin Sheen as The Illusive Man, Keith David as Anderson.. And they never showed Admiral Hacket, if he showed up might as well be Lance Henrickson.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Mass Effect's visual style is far too "old comic booky" to translate well to film, it'll end up look like those silly Batman & Robin costumes sans rubber nipples.

I'm guessing you'll end up with something visually quite different.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
As much as I desperately want this movie to be good I'm kind of hoping they don't go ahead with it. There's just too many inherent reasons why this could go wrong, mostly concerning the length and depth of the games and having to condense it into a 2 1/2 hour film as well as making it appealing to the mainstream to recouperate the inevitably large budget. Nontheless I cannot help but get involved in this game of pick your own cast so here's my selection:

Shepherd - Jon Hamm
Garrus - Johnny Depp
Tali - Parminder Nagra
Wrex - Mickey Rourke
Kaidan - Joaquin Phoenix
Ashley - Ellen Page
Liara - Natascha McElhone
Captain Anderson - Keith David
Joker - Seth Green
Saren - Viggo Mortensen
Benezia - Isabella Rosselini

gamerchic

Jan 18, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Mass Effect Movie in the Works

Mass Effect [http://masseffect.bioware.com], BioWare's epic sci-fi videogame that looks like a movie, is now on its way to actually becoming a movie.

BioWare [http://www.legendarypictures.com/] co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, along with Mass Effect Project Director Casey Hudson, will serve as executive producers.

The report claims that while a big-screen translation of Mass Effect would require a "massive commitment," the success of Avatar [http://www.amazon.com/Avatar-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-DVD-Combo/dp/B002VPE1B6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1276636916&sr=1-1] has demonstrated that audiences will "follow and invest themselves in non-human characters if given a reason to, which opens the door" for more films in which alien species and settings play a major role. Mass Effect, of course, features numerous alien races interacting in a galactic partnership in which humanity is very much a junior member.

I don't disagree that Mass Effect could be made into a great movie, I'm just not convinced that it should. I've begun to think that the reason videogame movies fail is simply that for the so-called "built-in audience," which is to say gamers, the experience is inevitably diminished. Why would I want to watch Shepard when I've already been Shepard?

Still, the prospect of a Mass Effect movie does have one undeniable upside: We get to play a new round of Cast That Film! Which is a bit of a hairy prospect itself since, as pointed out to me by a Concerned Fan, a lot of Commander Shepards out there are of the female persuasion. So I'm nominating Mickey Rourke [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000620/] for Wrex but beyond that, I'm pretty much out of ideas. Who's it going to be?

I think this would be a really cool movie if they stuck to the game and didnt try to put it into a 2 and half hour movie. They should split up the games into about 4 or 5 movies and make a franchise. Since we are playing the casting game heres what I came up with. I think its pretty legit but hey it is my idea. Thoughts?

ME1 and ME2 cast list-------
shepard- SAM WORTHINGTON
tali-zoe saldana
garrus-wentworth miller
wrex-mickey rourke
joker-seth green or james marsden
dr chawkwa-ellen mirren
samara-rebecca romijen or michelle pfeiffer
thane-daniel craig
jacob-vin desiel
liara-halle berry
ashley-angelina jolie
illusive man- ian mckellan
jack-famke janssen or natalie portman
grunt-liv schrieber
mordin- hugh jackman (bc he sings the same song in Kate in leopold) lol
miranda-naomi watts
saren-viggo mortenson

anyway thats what i came up with. :)
This movie better not suckkkk...

Codot Hawke

Jul 5, 2011
No offence people, but those are some pretty gruesome casting calls-- Like flipping through People magazine, closing your eyes and pointing.

I'm not saying I could do any better, but I'm going to give it a whirl now.

FemShep- Diane Kruger
MaleShep- Henry Cavill
Ashley- Rachel McAdams
Kaiden- Matt Cohen
Garrus- Gary Oldman (Voice)
Illusive Man- Martin Sheen (He did the voice so well.)
Miranda- Genevieve Padalecki
Tali- Larisa Oleynik
Dr. Chakwas- Emma Thompson
Mordin- Steve Coogan (Voice)
Joker- Seth Green (I concede this.)
Liara- Sarah Polley
Jacob- Michael Jai White
Samara- Cate Blanchett
Jack- Natalie Portman
Thane- Michael Fassbender
Grunt- Steve Blum (Voice)
Wrex- Steven Barr (Voice - Why change a good thing?)
Saren- Jeremy Irons (Voice)
EDI - Ellen McLain

Speaking as a filmmaker, I can say it would be a nightmare to have every role filled by a top-billing celebrity. I'm all for 'dream castings', but you need to have some foot in reality.

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
We have a problem. A big problem.In the interview Legendary pictures did, they said that they will a) Not take Seth Green as Joker b) Include Shepard in the story c) Shepard will be male d) May be a single movie.
We wanted a movie about in awesome game.
Instead, we are getting "The Citadel" from in-game.