Mass Effect the First - Evolution problem

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Some people think the improved combat in the later games proves that the series is less of an RPG now. Those people are wrong.

To the topic: Yeah, the first Mass Effect's combat was utter shyte.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
I replayed ME1 a lot of times before playing Me2 precisly because I knew something like this was going to happen.

I had experienced this before with Xenosaga.

Sadly, the ME3 ending just killed any replay ability for me aside from the MP.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
I've not touched the 3rd game but, well compared to the second, ME1 is pretty damn good so far as I'm concerned. Had no trouble replaying it, despite being turned off the series by the second one. Honestly changing the game mechanics in the middle of a story driven series is really jarring on its own, making them worse is annoying and from there to barely bother to explain why everything works so differently is so lazy.

You wanna keep things fresh add new mechanics, don't change it up, you just change your target audience and leave people annoyed.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
My real issue with the first one was the repetitive nature of the Mako missions. I hated the planetary exploration, but I did enjoy the actual stories behind the missions. My renegade ruthless Shepherd meeting up with Admiral Kyle...my Shepherd who survived Akuze meeting up with Toombs...little things like that really hit home.

Sep 14, 2009
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Mass Effect the first is infinitely better than its sequels. You are all mad. MAD!
for once i agree with you, hah (not meaning that in any bad way of course)

OT: mass effect held true to being more RPG than shooter, while keeping real time combat. As you progressed through the game, you became progressively better. hell by the end, with upgrades and all, i was a walking death machine of ammo constantly spitting out of me. While some people hate this, i think they misunderstand that part of it. (I will agree however that some of the mechanics were a bit shoddy, such as how you attached to cover and such, it wasn't near as good as me2 or me3's was)

i have no problem with any of the 3 games combat, but i definitely feel like the firsts story arc was much more epic and captured the true feel of the ME universe, and i still to this day get chills in the ending (from the point you jump through to the citadel via mako)

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
I would agree that the First was damn annoying in combat, but also the inventory management was fairly near shit. The two times I played through it were both infiltrators, I just kinda like the idea of the class more than anything truly about the skill set... other than sniper rifles.

The first time was annoying combat, either the scope was floating around and my aim was off, or the sniper rifle was useless in close combat and the I didn't think to use anything but the pistol cause I didn't have the skill.

The second time through was much more fun. I stuck to the assault rifle and sniper rifles, only put points into the skills I was going to use, maxed decryption and electronics first thing, and willingly gelled or sold all equipment that wasn't the highest or second highest I had at the time.

Combat in the game sucks, but you know about what's going on in any place so either play with biotics or be one and try to have fun with the ragdolls.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Reading this thread, I am having a sudden surge of nostalgia.

I've gotta buy a new cooling pad and take another run through ME1 - maybe as an Vanguard this time, or an Engineer.

Yeah, the combat was kind of shit, but it had one major advantage over ME2/3 - free-roaming on planets.

One of my favorite things to do was find some enemies on a planet, then get out of the Mako (because it sucked) and fight on foot. My sniper could hide behind scenery and take out enemies from afar - I loved fighting Geth Colossus that way, because I my cool-down took just as long as it did to strafe behind cover, wait for the Colossus to blast said cover, and then step back out and put another bullet in it's face. If I screwed up, it was usually an instant kill (or close to it) but that's what made it exciting.

The battles where I was actually supposed to be on foot, like inside bunkers (it was always those rectangular bunkers) were usually pretty dull, but the outdoor battles made up for it.

One of the saddest things about ME2's Firewalker DLC is that you can't get out of the stupid Hammerhead and fight on foot. If they'd let you get out of that stupid thing, then the Firewalker DLC would have been insanely fun!

Oh, and another thing - I liked that you could ambush enemies in ME1. If you successfully snuck up on enemies and started sniping them, they wouldn't know what the fuck was happening and wouldn't get into cover (or they'd get into cover the wrong direction) making your ambush all the more awesome. In ME2/3, enemies (usually) just spawn in and instantly know your location (unless it's plot that they don't). The multiplayer is particularly guilty of this, with enemies constantly and instantly knowing your location at all times.

Don't get me wrong, I loved ME3, but... I do miss certain aspects of ME1. A game that had ME3's combat, and ME1's free roaming would be the perfect combination.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I actually prefer the combat from the first game.
NO WAIT! Hear me out!

I pretty much play only as a Soldier in the SP and the shooting mechanics pretty much haven't changed. What has changed though is the space bar now does EVERYTHING which makes the tough fights on insanity difficulty stupidly annoying when you're trying to jump in and out of cover or sprint or whatever. -.-

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Normally, I think it's important to have respect for different opinions on something as subjective as a game, but it actually blows my mind how anyone could think ME1's combat was good.

I mean, some of the problems are so basic I can spot them, and I'm not a video game designer.

1) When you fire a gun in a game you expect the occasional reaction from whatever you're shooting, whether it's a stagger, a vocalization, just anything to give the sense that you're firing a projectile with velocity rather than playing laser tag.

2) Having separate cooldowns might have seemed like it would make the game more tactical. However, it's never worth waiting very long to use a power when it's come off cooldown (unless it's highly situational, i.e. not worth using) so there's no real strategy to it.

3) If you're going to make a very powerful defensive power to use as a panic button when things get rough, don't make it possible to reduce the cooldown to below the power's duration. Hello immunity, can I have my trophy for winning the game already?

The soldier is the worst offender, but most of the advanced classes aren't choices in ME1, they're right and wrong answers.

Also, what is the point of Tech? I have played the game through three times with tech using classes and I've never figured this out. Biotics almost always work better and are more fun to boot. From ME2 onward, tech classes are my favourite classes, but in ME1 it's almost unbearable to play as an engineer.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
the third game had the best gameplay of the lot, IMO, leaping over cover is far smoother. I always find it satisfying to slide over chest-high walls.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
evilthecat said:
1) When you fire a gun in a game you expect the occasional reaction from whatever you're shooting, whether it's a stagger, a vocalization, just anything to give the sense that you're firing a projectile with velocity rather than playing laser tag.
This so fucking much! Same as in Bethesda games - shoot them with arrow, they don't notice!

Also, ME2 incorporated SOME tactics as in this for shields, that for armor, and in ME1 it's just shoot it till it dies xD

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Mass Effect the first is infinitely better than its sequels. You are all mad. MAD!
There are a few things in this world I just don't understand. That opinion is one of them. I have gone on my rant why I don't like the first one I am not going to repeat myself.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I loved Mass Effect for what it is and tried not to compare it to it's sequels.

Sure ME2\ME3 was tons better combat and visual wise, but at the time (Without knowing as we do now of the ending of ME3) it was amazing and I actually thought each action will eventually have a consequence.

Story wise, being the first Mass Effect that it is, it was absolute amazing.
So if I can put 40hrs into it and enjoy it all the way through I'm not going to complain now, that just wouldn't be fair.

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
Well, the main trick about the first Mass Effect is that they largely considered the Overheat to be your "ammo" counter. Meaning that you would be prompted to more often take cover and open fire and then pause and try to move around because of the "Heat" monitoring you would need to do.

However, people unfortunately grew attached to "ammo", always wanting to have the reloading, and see the clips drop, and all those things. So, Mass Effect people decided it would be better to bring those into play to give people what they wanted. Combat in ME1 feels bland because...well, it wasn't too much the focus really, and it was just a fun little idea they tried, but then they heard of a more popular one. Personally, I more enjoyed the ME1, simply because its nice to have unlimited ammo, and customizable guns, and all that stuff.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Had the same problem mate, played the second game first, couldn't get into the first game at all after that. Tried several times and failed, finally forced myself to do it when ME3 came out. It's not too bad once you get yourself through several missions, you get used to it, but yeah, getting into it ain't easy after ME2.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
Well I certainly hit a wall with all three games. I loved them all for the first play through that I have done with each one, but I am unable to play through any of them a 2nd time.

It is not the combat, because I think the combat is shit in all three games, but it can just be downright tedious to search through every area, I just don't have the patience I used too.

Although, oddly enough I was able to play through dragon age origins twice, and I was very thorough in searching through every area in that game. In fact I am thinking of making another run through of that game. So, idk, go figure. I do like the combat in origins though, maybe that is why I can bare through it.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Eddie the head said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
There are a few things in this world I just don't understand. That opinion is one of them. I have gone on my rant why I don't like the first one I am not going to repeat myself.
I'm sorry, but your opinion is actually incorrect. It's a proven fact that the first in the series is the best.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Eddie the head said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
What I don't understand is why you seem to insist that anyone who read and understood your rant has to agree with you, come to the same conclusions as you.

To paraphrase..."Someone on the internet likes something I don't like, even after I tell them why I don't like it? They must be STUPID!".

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
Grey Day for Elcia said:
Eddie the head said:
Grey Day for Elcia said:
I'm sorry, but your opinion is actually incorrect. It's a proven fact that the first in the series is the best.
Yeah I mean it just has the worst combat, worst characters, and worst story layout. But yeah I am arguing how good it was, not how good I remember it being witch is what most people are.
Vegosiux said:
What I don't understand is why you seem to insist that anyone who read and understood your rant has to agree with you, come to the same conclusions as you.

To paraphrase..."Someone on the internet likes something I don't like, even after I tell them why I don't like it? They must be STUPID!".
I said I don't understand and I don't much care. I never claimed anyone was stupid I just said I don't get them never made sense to me and likely never will.