Mass Effect

NeonFuneral

Nov 2, 2009
Greetings! I'm new to the website and I'm wanting to get a few opinions on Mass Effect. A friend and I were discussing Mass Effect and he said he didn't like it. I've been intrigued by Mass Effect, but I don't know if I want to pay the 20 dollars on steam to play it. Is it just a copy of KOTOR? Any feedback would be great.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Mass effect:
Story is good.
You don't get to play as a Krogan.
Story is really damn good.
Weapons are boring and generic.
The game is long so if you like it there is a lot of it.
RPG elements are shallow.
Did I mention how good the story is?

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Buy it. It's a great game, I'd say better than KotOR. Different fighting mechanic too.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The only similarity to KOTOR is the same similarity between most, if not all, BioWare games: excellent roleplaying choices. The combat is drastically different.

I, myself, would highly reccomend it if you enjoy third person shooters and epic sci-fi stories. And blue alien side boob.

NeonFuneral

Nov 2, 2009
Okay sweet, thanks for the quick response. On another note have any of you guys tried torchlight? That's another game got my attention

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
The cover system isn' the greateast thing in the world,The driving parts are really annoying,You're comrades will die faster then you can say Peanut Brittle, The RPG elements mainly only revolve around setting skills and picking and distrubiting new gear.

But the game looks beautiful, the Characters are awsome, The Story is great, and there is plenty to do in the game so it kinda evens itself out.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
It has a great story and I too was hesitant to get it at first because I had heard that the fighting is very chaotic. Once you get the hang of it though, it is a lot of fun and I enjoyed it. I would definitely say buy it.

Sep 5, 2009
NeonBob=Nuke the Whales
NeonFuneral=Odd highlighted whale thingy

Curious little coincidence there.

For $20? Absolutely, buy Mass Effect. It gets a little frustrating and annoying at times, but the story is pretty good, as is most if not all of the writing, and I thorougly enjoyed it. Have not tried Torchlight though.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I love Science Fiction, Epic Storytelling, shooting things with lasers, well rounded Alien and human characters, some witty and well written dialouge and just some great design choices... to conclude I think Mass Effect rocks
Third favourite game of all time. Hands down.

Veret

Apr 1, 2009
Mass Effect is well worth the $20. The story is vintage Bioware, and once you've seen the brilliant dialogue wheel they use for cutscenes, KOTOR will never look as good again. On the flip side, though, the side quests are repetitive and the guns are boring--so don't play as a soldier.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
NeonFuneral said:
Haha who is NeonBob?
Dude with the highest post count on the Escapist. If not for me he would be running things.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
It's definitely worth $20. I'm not sure its worth the price it had on release, but some people seem to think it was worth more...so I'd say give it a shot.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
NeonFuneral said:
Haha who is NeonBob?
Hi.
I have appeared now.
By sheer coincidence, really.
Your name was just too...alluring for me to not check out.
And yes, your avatar does make me chuckle.
Almost like the last time I went squirrel hunting X-D

Now then! Your topic.
Mass Effect is most certainly worth $20.
It's epic. There is no other word for it.
And if you are a loot whore, then Torchlight is perfect.
I've spent at least 3 hours a day on it for the past few days, and still love it.

IdealistCommi said:
Dude with the highest post count here.
Souplex said:
Dude with the highest post count on the Escapist.
You know...if not for the tiny little difference, this would be a case of perfect ninja-ing.
Again for you, Souplex.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I drop $20 for mass effect. The story was well done. However I found the RPG elements to be lacking when compared to kotor however I still had a good time. Actually I managed to beat it over 2 days in 21 hours.

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
Well worth the money. Streamlined enough to be user friendly without sacrificing a bit of RPG goodness, The conversation wheel is also fun to use and personally, I enjoyed the combat, especially if you play as someone with biotic powers.

Also, the world is very well realised. The sound, voice acting and music are great. The story is excellent and engaging.

There is also the added bonus of, if you like it, Mass Effect 2 uses you ME 1 save file to track certain things and to have had some pre-made decisions that change ME 2.

To be clear: YES! OH GOD YES! BUY THE GAME! *cough* please.