Mass shooting in Main

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Let's look at how well this supports the claims you've made, then. Firstly: that "Income inequality grows greater because the rich are taxed the least which is directly caused by democratic policy of taxing the rich the least".

So, your source identifies 10 states with "the most regressive tax systems". I'll put an (R) or a (D) next to each one to show which party their governors belong to. Washington (D), Florida (R), Texas (R), South Dakota (R), Nevada (R), Tennessee (R), Pennsylvania (D), Illinois (D), Oklahoma (R), Wyoming (R).

So, that's seven Republican-run states and three Democratic-run states.

Secondly: your claim that "a fully democratic run state taxes the rich the least in all of America."

According to your own source, the state that taxes the top 1% the least is... Nevada (R). Second and third are Florida (R) and South Dakota (R). Washington comes in at about sixth.

Your source also identifies 10 states it says have a "more equitable", progressive tax system, putting more of the burden on higher earners and less on lower earners. They are...

California (D), DC (no governor, but Democratic mayor), Vermont (R), Delaware (D), Minnesota (D), New Jersey (D), Maine (D), New York (D), Montana (R), Maryland (D).

Huh! Eight Democratic-run states and two Republican!

So, uhrm, looks like you're full of it.
Washington has the worst tax code and that's one of the dems core values, how is that possible in a completely democratic run state where there are literally no republicans standing in their way? You act like taxes is the only point I made. California's housing prices and crisis is beyond ridiculous and all caused by democrats. Why don't you look at a list of states with highest housing costs? It's dominated by blue states yet affordable housing is one of the dems most important values. Why can't you admit complete ass democratic policy was they are complete ass? You don't even live here, why are you even a "homer" to either of these parties? Whether you prefer Ds over Rs is one thing but acting like the Ds aren't a shit party is pretty ridiculous.

1700059369001.png

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Washington has the worst tax code and that's one of the dems core values, how is that possible in a completely democratic run state where there are literally no republicans standing in their way?

View attachment 10145
Oh look, I did 10 seconds of research while driving: its because their Supreme Court says that Washington's constitution prohibits income taxes, a rule added by voters in the 1930s. Also, fucking hilarious argument to be making considering the next few entries on your list

You act like taxes is the only point I made. California's housing prices and crisis is beyond ridiculous and all caused by democrats. Why don't you look at a list of states with highest housing costs? It's dominated by blue states yet affordable housing is one of the dems most important values. Why can't you admit complete ass democratic policy was they are complete ass? You don't even live here, why are you even a "homer" to either of these parties? Whether you prefer Ds over Rs is one thing but acting like the Ds aren't a shit party is pretty ridiculous.
You're also doing the meme of the tall guy stepping over several stairs at once. Like, yes: Democrat's policy on housing isn't great, but the main cause of housing costs is Democrat policy generally being *fantastic* at wealth generation, making their areas highly desirable places to live and invest in.

We just need to kill the idea of the "investment property", which is, unfortunately, firmly supported by both main parties

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Oh look, I did 10 seconds of research while driving: its because their Supreme Court says that Washington's constitution prohibits income taxes, a rule added by voters in the 1930s. Also, fucking hilarious argument to be making considering the next few entries on your list

You're also doing the meme of the tall guy stepping over several stairs at once. Like, yes: Democrat's policy on housing isn't great, but the main cause of housing costs is Democrat policy generally being *fantastic* at wealth generation, making their areas highly desirable places to live and invest in.

We just need to kill the idea of the "investment property", which is, unfortunately, firmly supported by both main parties
You mean a state run completely by democrats and has a vast majority of demoratic voters can't change the state constitution that was originally changed by voters? It's like all the Californians for affordable housing but vote down any measures for affordable housing in their backyards. It standard liberal hypocrisy.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You mean a state run completely by democrats and has a vast majority of demoratic voters can't change the state constitution that was originally changed by voters? It's like all the Californians for affordable housing but vote down any measures for affordable housing in their backyards. It standard liberal hypocrisy.
Another ten seconds of research shows that to change Washington State's constitution, you need supermajority votes in both state chambers of congress and voters approval. That's a fairly high bar in the modern era, especially since the Dems went neo-liberal

Also still very funny as to who was #2, #3, and #4 on that list

Like, you get that the thing you are currently lambasting Washington liberals for is explicit and wanted policy for the GOP, right? The bastards keep trying to get rid of Montana income tax, and ours highest income tax bracket is *already* sub-minimum wage

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Funny how people start using these laws until after a huge tragedy strikes and big warning signs were already on the fucker, but no chose to do anything or ignored him out just making themselves feel better.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Washington has the worst tax code and that's one of the dems core values, how is that possible in a completely democratic run state where there are literally no republicans standing in their way?
OK. Any word on the fact that 7 of the 10 worst are Republican; 8 of the 10 best are Democratic?

Is it possible your issue is just specifically with Washington?

You act like taxes is the only point I made. California's housing prices and crisis is beyond ridiculous and all caused by democrats. Why don't you look at a list of states with highest housing costs?
Because you made specific claims about tax, and I'm addressing those specific claims. You said the state that taxed the rich the least is Democratic. I pointed out your own source says that's untrue.

If you want me to engage with other stuff, fine, we can look at that afterwards. But it's like pulling teeth trying to get you to acknowledge any single mistake, so we can do this claim-by-claim. Otherwise you'll just speedily move onto 100 other vague claims without ever acknowledging the first one you made was bunk.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Another ten seconds of research shows that to change Washington State's constitution, you need supermajority votes in both state chambers of congress and voters approval. That's a fairly high bar in the modern era, especially since the Dems went neo-liberal

Also still very funny as to who was #2, #3, and #4 on that list

Like, you get that the thing you are currently lambasting Washington liberals for is explicit and wanted policy for the GOP, right? The bastards keep trying to get rid of Montana income tax, and ours highest income tax bracket is *already* sub-minimum wage
Democrats easily have super majority in Washington. Why do you keep making excuses for something dems could easily do if they wanted to? This isn't like the House of Senate of the US where that's basically impossible. I moved from Illinois (blue state) to Indiana (red state) and Indiana has a more progressive tax policy without even fucking trying. How is that a thing when Illinois is supposed to be for liberal values and Indiana isn't yet is beating Illinois at that? Dems say they want XYZ, but they are liars. Both parties are 2 sides of the same coin.

OK. Any word on the fact that 7 of the 10 worst are Republican; 8 of the 10 best are Democratic?

Is it possible your issue is just specifically with Washington?

Because you made specific claims about tax, and I'm addressing those specific claims. You said the state that taxed the rich the least is Democratic. I pointed out your own source says that's untrue.

If you want me to engage with other stuff, fine, we can look at that afterwards. But it's like pulling teeth trying to get you to acknowledge any single mistake, so we can do this claim-by-claim. Otherwise you'll just speedily move onto 100 other vague claims without ever acknowledging the first one you made was bunk.
How is something like tax equality one of your main goals and it's acceptable that you're last in it? Other blue states are in the top 10 as well. Red states are supposed to bad at that, they never claimed not to be. It's worse being a wolf in sheep's clothing than just admitting you're the wolf. Why can't you just admit something your team did (even just in one state) is bad when it's fucking bad? It's like people defending companies like Nintendo or Microsoft or Sony (since video game forum and all) when they do bad shit, why do you care so much about a company (/party) that doesn't care about you? Hell, you don't even live in America. Yes, it's exactly like pulling teeth...

My claim wasn't that blue states are on the whole worse than red states in tax equality, it was how the fuck are you worst in something you claim to very much care about and be important to you (while also having complete control/power to do so whenever you want)? And you guys yell at me for strawmanning when you all are the ones changing the argument to something else constantly.

I just mentioned one thing from the video, that mentions several other things. Not my fault you won't watch a rather short video, you're acting like I linked to an hour video or something, 15 minutes is sooooo long. If you want something that's dominated by blue states being bad at that they aren't supposed to be bad at, look at cost of housing top 10 lists. Affordable housing is so important and a basic human need!!! That's a giant fucking lie.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Democrats easily have super majority in Washington. Why do you keep making excuses for something dems could easily do if they wanted to?
Quick question: have you bothered checking to see if Democrats have a super majority in Washington?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Quick question: have you bothered checking to see if Democrats have a super majority in Washington?
I thought they did based on the video as democrats have full control (but not supermajority), my bad on that. However, voters keep voting that to stay in place with most democratic voters also being for keeping that law in place as well as republican voters.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I thought they did based on the video as democrats have full control (but not supermajority), my bad on that. However, voters keep voting that to stay in place with most democratic voters also being for keeping that law in place as well as republican voters.
Man, you just gotta find a way to blame liberals for everything, huh. Even *if* you had a bunch of Democrats shake their neo-liberalism for a cycle, they'd still need to actually win a supermajority, hard in states without super aggressive gerrymandering, because they'd have to go it alone because there's no way in fuck a conservative is gonna go for an income tax

As *amply* demonstrated by the next few entries on that list, who you don't say a bad word about

Reactions: BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I thought they did based on the video as democrats have full control (but not supermajority), my bad on that.
So. When you said "Democratic policy", you were in fact only referring to a single state-- because as I've shown, outside of Washington, most regressive tax policies are in Republican-governed states.

And now it turns out that in the one single state to which your argument applies, the Democratic gov lacks the power to change it.

That cover it?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Man, you just gotta find a way to blame liberals for everything, huh. Even *if* you had a bunch of Democrats shake their neo-liberalism for a cycle, they'd still need to actually win a supermajority, hard in states without super aggressive gerrymandering, because they'd have to go it alone because there's no way in fuck a conservative is gonna go for an income tax

As *amply* demonstrated by the next few entries on that list, who you don't say a bad word about
And liberal voters constantly vote against things that they claim to support just like how California is filled with NIMBYs and vote against anything that would make housing more affordable. Supermajority is one of those things that makes sense in theory, but in practice (especially how the American 2-party system has devolved), it doesn't work at all.

So. When you said "Democratic policy", you were in fact only referring to a single state-- because as I've shown, outside of Washington, most regressive tax policies are in Republican-governed states.

And now it turns out that in the one single state to which your argument applies, the Democratic gov lacks the power to change it.

That cover it?
I never claimed that it wasn't one state or a few states (also Illinois for example). And the liberal voters vote against it as well just like Californians.

Also, you totally ignored the fact that the top 10 lists of most costly housing is filled with blue states.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I never claimed that it wasn't one state or a few states (also Illinois for example). And the liberal voters vote against it as well just like Californians.
You said it was "Democratic policy", worse than Republican policy, doing this. That clearly doesn't limit your point to a single state. But your own source categorically shows that outside of a single state, Republican states are far more likely to be worse.

Also, you totally ignored the fact that the top 10 lists of most costly housing is filled with blue states.
Because that's your attempt to change the argument. I'm happy to move onto it as soon as you've acknowledged your errors on tax.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You said it was "Democratic policy", worse than Republican policy, doing this. That clearly doesn't limit your point to a single state. But your own source categorically shows that outside of a single state, Republican states are far more likely to be worse.

Because that's your attempt to change the argument. I'm happy to move onto it as soon as you've acknowledged your errors on tax.
But republican policy isn't to tax the rich, they aren't expected to be good in that. It's the lying and hypocrisy that makes the dems even worse. Republicans at least say point blank what they want. I moved out of Illinois to Indiana and Indiana has a better tax policy for example and it's a red state (only 2 counties IIRC vote blue).

That was in the video that I posted, the tax thing is just one thing from said video. Not my fault you didn't watch it.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
And liberal voters constantly vote against things that they claim to support just like how California is filled with NIMBYs and vote against anything that would make housing more affordable. Supermajority is one of those things that makes sense in theory, but in practice (especially how the American 2-party system has devolved), it doesn't work at all.
...you've just spent the last few responses lambasting Washington liberals for not easily fixing an unfair tax law (and continue to do so) because of the rules for change you now say doesn't work at all.

Can you just say, that in this narrow circumstance at least, that liberals aren't the root of all evil here?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
...you've just spent the last few responses lambasting Washington liberals for not easily fixing an unfair tax law (and continue to do so) because of the rules for change you now say doesn't work at all.

Can you just say, that in this narrow circumstance at least, that liberals aren't the root of all evil here?
I said, I understand why the politicians can't. However, voters are liberals too and they vote against this stuff too. It's why housing is so expensive in California because the liberals are NIMBYs.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
But republican policy isn't to tax the rich, they aren't expected to be good in that. It's the lying and hypocrisy that makes the dems even worse. Republicans at least say point blank what they want. I moved out of Illinois to Indiana and Indiana has a better tax policy for example and it's a red state (only 2 counties IIRC vote blue).
So you prefer policy that's functionally worse (as Republican tax policy is outside of a single state) just so long as the legislators are honest?

Dunno man, I'd just prefer policy that's less awful.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I said, I understand why the politicians can't. However, voters are liberals too and they vote against this stuff too. It's why housing is so expensive in California because the liberals are NIMBYs.
"This stuff", i.e. income tax, in Washington hasn't been up for a public referendum because it needs the supermajority votes first. Don't deflect back to California because you made a hilariously bad argument on every level about taxes in Washington