Mass shooting in Main

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I guess that's as close as I'll be getting to a concession.

I addressed the argument you made. You then fought and fought for umpteen posts. Now, finally, at least we're on the same page that the states taxing the rich the least are Republican. Just wish it hadn't taken so damn long.
I don't get why'd you'd rather hear something from me when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth (which I linked to to begin with)? The person(s) that did the research and work is going to better at conveying the message than me.

The main argument is that democratic states/cities cause minorities to be even worse off with their stupid policies. The tax thing is just a subset of that main argument. I moved to an area that's more red and it's just easier to live. But the overall narrative is that that can't be.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I don't get why'd you'd rather hear something from me when you can get it straight from the horse's mouth (which I linked to to begin with)? The person(s) that did the research and work is going to better at conveying the message than me.

The main argument is that democratic states/cities cause minorities to be even worse off with their stupid policies. The tax thing is just a subset of that main argument. I moved to an area that's more red and it's just easier to live. But the overall narrative is that that can't be.
Because we're not browsing YouTube, we're having a discussion on a forum. If you wish to employ someone else's arguments, learn how to express them in your words, or don't bother leaning on them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Uhrm, because I'm arguing with you, not the video maker. You made a claim and then posted a source that contradicted it. Sorry.

Yet your own source shows that outside of Washington, red states are generally more regressive, and blue states are less regressive.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Because this isn't an effort to iron out the falsehoods and leave only truth behind, it's an internet argument. They don't want to debate the entire internet about something, they want to argue with you, winning that argument is the motivation.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Because this isn't an effort to iron out the falsehoods and leave only truth behind, it's an internet argument. They don't want to debate the entire internet about something, they want to argue with you, winning that argument is the motivation.
I didn't see you picking apart the claims of three dozen unrelated YouTube videos last time we had a disagreement, y'know. You just responded to... the people you were actually talking to. Guess you didn't care about ironing out the falsehoods 🤷‍♂️

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I didn't see you picking apart the claims of three dozen unrelated YouTube videos last time we had a disagreement, y'know. You just responded to... the people you were actually talking to. Guess you didn't care about ironing out the falsehoods 🤷‍♂️
Exactly.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because we're not browsing YouTube, we're having a discussion on a forum. If you wish to employ someone else's arguments, learn how to express them in your words, or don't bother leaning on them.
I did, making a very minor mistake means the argument can't stand?

Uhrm, because I'm arguing with you, not the video maker. You made a claim and then posted a source that contradicted it. Sorry.

Yet your own source shows that outside of Washington, red states are generally more regressive, and blue states are less regressive.
I messed up one tiny word... Why is it OK that a democratically run state has the worst tax inequality in all the US? That's one of their core values but they can't even get that done.

That wasn't the argument ever made by me or by the video yet you keep repeating it.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Liberal hypocrisy squared
Liberalism, the notion that people should be free to do as they please (within limits of harming others), is consistent with the principle of permitting personal gun ownership.

Liberalism would then uphold restricting or even banning gun access on the rationale of harm done to others, with measures theoretically proportionate to the harm.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Liberalism, the notion that people should be free to do as they please (within limits of harming others), is consistent with the principle of permitting personal gun ownership.

Liberalism would then uphold restricting or even banning gun access on the rationale of harm done to others, with measures theoretically proportionate to the harm.
And what about handguns with combination of liberals happened in Canada?

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
And what about handguns with combination of liberals happened in Canada?
I neither know nor care.

I'm just pointing out there is no clear and consistent rule for how liberals should view gun ownership / control, and in practice significant variability between individuals.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This reminds me of the 1920s in Sweden, when the party calling itself liberal was split into two due to disagreements over whether Sweden ought to have a ban on alcohol.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I neither know nor care.

I'm just pointing out there is no clear and consistent rule for how liberals should view gun ownership / control, and in practice significant variability between individuals.
You do realize when someone using the term liberal they refer to the kind of people that are stereotypical liberals vs what the word actual means, it's used as a label; "damn liberals!" or "damn conservatives!" basically.

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
You do realize when someone using the term liberal they refer to the kind of people that are stereotypical liberals vs what the word actual means, it's used as a label; "damn liberals!" or "damn conservatives!" basically.
Well in that case it someone should make suitably clear whether they mean actual liberals or an untrue stereotype of liberals in order to avoid making embarrassing comments that defame a group of people unnecessarily.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Well in that case it someone should make suitably clear whether they mean actual liberals or an untrue stereotype of liberals in order to avoid making embarrassing comments that defame a group of people unnecessarily.
It was a joke so it should be taken as a stereotype, which are there for a reason most of the time.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Liberal hypocrisy squared
What is the hypocrisy in your eyes exactly?
It is not hypocritical to employ violence to stop an initiator of violence.
That's some bullshit sophomore philosophy student semantic nonsense.
It is not intolerant, to react to intolerance.
Especially if that intolerance is acting out because it's been worked into a zombie horde frenzy via the rightwing hate machine. It is right and good to not tolerate it, with extreme prejudice.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Once again, it falls on BrawlMan to get this thread back on track.

@Silvanus, and @Ag3ma, do either of you even care about the shooting at this point? Curiosity here. I don't like Phoenix, but this endless back and forth only serves to derail this thread, dishonor the victims, and only works in his favor. And even he doesn't get much out of this, if he bothered think for more than a microsecond.