Massachusetts Town Announces Videogame Exchange Program

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
mattaui said:
The biggest problems that children and adults face with video games isn't the content, but the amount of time they spend on them and the risks it could possibly pose to school or work.
Which makes it deliciously ironic when they offer "get out of homework free" cards in exchange.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
You know... I think he wants attention. I mean he really needs to focus on say... The horrible pothole ridden streets of his instead! Those spawn many a episode of road rage; much more then any video game normally could.

Salakayin

Apr 1, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'
I don't see an issue with that. Nothing works wonders on one's outlook like a Whose Line marathon. (Plus, I'm not sure its exactly 'non-violent'. Still a great show, though.)

On topic: the whole thing seems silly, but particularly the whole get out homework shindig. Because being ridiculously strict about video games is so much more important then the folks' educations, eh? Its a very reactionary response that seems to be quite common after these sorta tragedies, despite the fact they're usually misaimed.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
*bangs head on the desk*
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Ok, how much longer are we going to have to deal with this 'ignore the real problem and blame video games' crap? Because this shit is just getting stupider and stupider by the minute. And coupons? Really? Yeah what a deal. Give in a $60 USD game for 20 cents off you next Big Mac. Real stellar deal.

You know what? Let's just nuke the planet so that we can destroy everything, so that we run no risk of anything causing anyone to snap and kill people. Also, we'd kill everyone, so that they'd be no more bad people to snap, and no more innocents to be killed in the first place! Problem solved! C'mon, let's ignore the real problem and jump to implement this stupid ass solution! Chop, chop motherfuckers!

FizzyIzze said:
... leaving viewers to choose between reruns of 'How It's Made' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'.
American Whose Line or English Whose Line?

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
*sighs* I just...I mean....UGH! Don't these people get it? The same people that are shouting for no more violent media were the same people that grew up watching Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry and watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre when they were teenagers.

And is it just me or are we as a culture trying to do our best to make certain that our future generation has NO individuality whatsoever? "Oh kids you can't have that, that actually looks fun and might make you have ideas about the world. No no no, we need to give you these pieces of cotton. They're pastuerized, homogenized, sterilized, safety approved, violence-free, cruelty-free, free-range, home grown, with no dyes, no perfumes, no high fructose corn syrup,no calories, no fat, no substance whatsoever and it's even WHITE which is the best color of them all! Oh! but first we need to tape your mouths shut, can't let you chance eating it! And to make sure you don't take the tape off or hurt yourself by using your hands in an unapproved way, here's some lockable mittens that we, your loving parents, will keep the key too! Don't forget your helmet, your knee pads, your elbow pads, your neck brace, your diaper, and this bullet proof vest! Have fun! And remember don't ever think for yourself!"

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Salakayin said:
FizzyIzze said:
'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'
I don't see an issue with that. Nothing works wonders on one's outlook like a Whose Line marathon. (Plus, I'm not sure its exactly 'non-violent'. Still a great show, though.)

On topic: the whole thing seems silly, but particularly the whole get out homework shindig. Because being ridiculously strict about video games is so much more important then the folks' educations, eh? Its a very reactionary response that seems to be quite common after these sorta tragedies, despite the fact they're usually misaimed.
To be quite honest, there's a lot of hands in the shape of guns on that show. We're watching you, improv people!

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
soren7550 said:
FizzyIzze said:
... leaving viewers to choose between reruns of 'How It's Made' and 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?'.
American Whose Line or English Whose Line?
It will be a combination of both. In order to minimize confusion, the original UK Whose Line will be branded as 'Canadian'.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
"I'm not saying people shouldn't have [violent games and toys], but, I am trying to imply it as heavily as possible."

At least this sort of suggests society is making progress; they're encouraging people to get rid of them instead of trying to institute laws banning them.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Someone should ask this mayor if trading in a gun would be valid for his program. I get the feeling he'd be FAR less supportive of that...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
gettin some bad vibes about the homework coupons lol

still, we're not doing anything with all these copies of steel battalion...

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
soren7550 said:
*bangs head on the desk*
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggg...

Ok, how much longer are we going to have to deal with this 'ignore the real problem and blame video games' crap? Because this shit is just getting stupider and stupider by the minute. And coupons? Really? Yeah what a deal. Give in a $60 USD game for 20 cents off you next Big Mac. Real stellar deal.

You know what? Let's just nuke the planet so that we can destroy everything, so that we run no risk of anything causing anyone to snap and kill people. Also, we'd kill everyone, so that they'd be no more bad people to snap, and no more innocents to be killed in the first place! Problem solved! C'mon, let's ignore the real problem and jump to implement this stupid ass solution! Chop, chop motherfuckers!
Of course they're ignoring the real problem. After all the real problem is the folly of humanity We've accumulated so much human arrogance over the centuries that most people can't even conceive the notion that humans are horrid, primitive, and massively inferior creatures.

As far as we're concerned their is no such thing as a "defective human." However, this belief is proven false over and over again. Yet we ignore it because "humans r teh bestors!!!!!"

The word "human," along with all other words and phrases with "human" in them, are revered the highest. Just look at Star Trek for one of the biggest examples of human arrogance, portrayed in a positive light, in film. When Kirk tells Spock "everyone's human" it is meant to be seen as the greatest compliment of all time. Bullshit!

We have so much glorification of "humanity" in our art, science, philosophies, and everyday lives. Is it really a surprise we don't know how to deal with the reality of our own failures when they force their way into the spotlight? Is it really a surprise that we'd rather blame inanimate objects or virtual worlds when people do bad things, instead of taking responsibility for our shortcomings as a species?

Oh, and Escapist. You have the wrong picture for this article. I think this is more appropriate.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
If these people are so concerned about their children why do they have these games in the first place?

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Violent videogames. I'd talk to my kids about them, since they'll have access to any media about them anyway and are often interested in trying them at the very least.

Say, does that town have a hotline for "I've been bullied in to being a recluse almost-suicide and need to talk to someone" ?

Or a gun exchange program, you know, devices that aren't toys or are used casually for what they were originally designed for (murder) ?

Or do the people and/or schools of that town teach students just how much aggressive gang behaviour(e.g. jocks) hurts people mentally ?

If not, those people will lose a lot more than a few video games. They're likely to lose some people, like they are currently.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Only in America...Computers games are perceived to be more of a threat than a gun.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Airon said:
Or a gun exchange program, you know, devices that aren't toys or are used casually for what they were originally designed for (murder)?
What, like a gun buyback? Those have a few problems, not the least of which is that gun stores sell cheap guns in bulk (things that barely fire that you couldn't get more than $50 for) and then people trade them in for $200. Which they use to purchase new firearms or fund shooting camps [http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07/10/pro-gun-group-uses-chicago-firearms-buyback-program-to-fund-nra-shooting-camp/]

Battle Pope

Nov 2, 2009
For the greater good of the state of Massachusetts, I will take one of those Beachhead 2000 cabinets.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm surprised none of this communal wrath has been brought to Koei since they supposedly found Dynasty Warriors in the Sandy Hook shooter's room.

http://kotaku.com/5969340/british-tabloids-are-blaming-call-of-duty-and-dynasty-warriors

Granted, it's based on a tabloid report, but if we're going to jump to ridiculous conclusions, why not go all the way right?

Wonder if arcade cabinets will start switching content - no more of those Terminator shooters that cost 2 bucks to play (my guess for what those "people in the bathroom" heard since those games are absolutely everywhere).