Master Wii Hacker Joins Microsoft Ranks

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Usually stuff like this excites me. However, I can't seem to grasp what he'll bring to the table. Unless he's done something else and hasn't shown it, what he's done is what Sony did at their conference.

Of course, he probably knows more about that sort of thing than he let off, which is cool beans. I just don't see his use in what Natal is.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
LOL, you people think... Nintendo didn't hire this guy because they are stupid? Sorry, but Nintendo is the smartest gaming company this gen, anything they do is for good reason and overall M$ and $ony are pretty much walking into their trap.

Nintendo is a Japanese company, MS isn't (the guy looks like an Asian American, how the hell is that going to help a Japanese company?). Nintendo comes ups and creates dozens ideas but most of them don't see the day of light for good reason, you guys are ignorant idiots if you actually think Nintendo hasn't seen this.

They MADE the technology, they KNOW all the power is in the wiimote, they know their system inside out... Thinking that this one guy on youtube is smarter then the whole company and that no one from Nintendo saw one youtube video is BEYOND stupid. They have good reason for this, and TBH from a business P.O.V. they don't need...

There are SO many possibilities for why Nintendo isn't working on this technology or isn't showing it.... First, you have to be REALLY close to your TV to get any REAL benefit from seeing objects in 3D. And other examples... Secondly, this is messes with 3d so much the processing power for COMPLEX games (not those simple things on a youtube example) would most likely be through the roof (just think about all the dimensions that need to be processed)... And lastly, Nintendo could use something like this later as an ace-in-the-hole against M$ and $ony for all we know.

I was able to think of those few examples in a few seconds yet so many people can't even think to why Nintendo might or might not do stuff?

Seriously, the stupidity here is amazing. Grow brains people.

Paulrus_Keaton

Apr 23, 2009
Nintendo would have tried to arrest the bugger instead of employ him.

Nintendo should consider this a wake up call; they have missed a HUGE opportunity.

somerandomguy76

Sep 6, 2008
Wingmna said:
LOL, you people think... Nintendo didn't hire this guy because they are stupid? Sorry, but Nintendo is the smartest gaming company this gen, anything they do is for good reason and overall M$ and $ony are pretty much walking into their trap.

Nintendo is a Japanese company, MS isn't (the guy looks like an Asian American, how the hell is that going to help a Japanese company?). Nintendo comes ups and creates dozens ideas but most of them don't see the day of light for good reason, you guys are ignorant idiots if you actually think Nintendo hasn't seen this.

They MADE the technology, they KNOW all the power is in the wiimote, they know their system inside out... Thinking that this one guy on youtube is smarter then the whole company and that no one from Nintendo saw one youtube video is BEYOND stupid. They have good reason for this, and TBH from a business P.O.V. they don't need...

There are SO many possibilities for why Nintendo isn't working on this technology or isn't showing it.... First, you have to be REALLY close to your TV to get any REAL benefit from seeing objects in 3D. And other examples... Secondly, this is messes with 3d so much the processing power for COMPLEX games (not those simple things on a youtube example) would most likely be through the roof (just think about all the dimensions that need to be processed... And lastly, Nintendo could use something like this later as an ace-in-the-hole against M$ and $ony for all we know.

I was able to think of those few examples in a few seconds yet so many people can't even think to why Nintendo might or might not do stuff?

*giggle*

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
somerandomguy76 said:
Wingmna said:

There are SO many possibilities for why Nintendo isn't working on this technology or isn't showing it.... First, you have to be REALLY close to your TV to get any REAL benefit from seeing objects in 3D. And other examples... Secondly, this is messes with 3d so much the processing power for COMPLEX games (not those simple things on a youtube example) would most likely be through the roof (just think about all the dimensions that need to be processed... And lastly, Nintendo could use something like this later as an ace-in-the-hole against M$ and $ony for all we know.

*giggle*
Yes it is funny, someone is still able to make a stupid post straight after mine.

Gratz to Johnny Lee anyway, but I don't expect him to keep his job after M$ makes cut backs once this thing fails. M$ is failing to understand what Nintendo is doing, they are the 'Birdmen'.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Now, see? They needed this guy on stage at E3, not that windbag Molyneux. So instead of saying, "Um, ok? Why am I supposed to believe this is an amazing piece of technology and not some carefully choreographed CG video?" I'd be saying, "Ahhhh, so that's how it works! Now that makes sense!"

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Now, see? They needed this guy on stage at E3, not that windbag Molyneux. So instead of saying, "Um, ok? Why am I supposed to believe this is an amazing piece of technology and not some carefully choreographed CG video?" I'd be saying, "Ahhhh, so that's how it works! Now that makes sense!"
I agree. Every time Peter speaks, a kitten dies.

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Wingmna said:

There are SO many possibilities for why Nintendo isn't working on this technology or isn't showing it.... First, you have to be REALLY close to your TV to get any REAL benefit from seeing objects in 3D. And other examples... Secondly, this is messes with 3d so much the processing power for COMPLEX games (not those simple things on a youtube example) would most likely be through the roof (just think about all the dimensions that need to be processed)... And lastly, Nintendo could use something like this later as an ace-in-the-hole against M$ and $ony for all we know.

So, they are smart because they didn't incorporate any of what this guy showed in his videos two years ago why? The guy knows his stuff and did a wonderful job manipulating it, and Natal looks a lot less "fiddly" then using those nasty Wii remotes.Honestly it takes awhile to be able to keep that thing perfectly straight, and use it accurately.

Sure, complex games probably won't use this but who says they are gonna use it for ALL games? I HIGHLY doubt Nintendo invented motion sensing, seeing as those motion detectors have been around for ages.

If Nintendo was so "amazing" to make their sensing better, then it would be easier to control and graphics would be better. It is like saying Apple had a trap planned for Microsoft when they stole their technology......and then stole over 95% of the market.....and the trap comes....when?

This even though it looks a little skeptical, really looks interesting, instead of PS3's Wii remote (oh sorry I mean Magical Wand!) and the AMAZING technology that the Wii has brought along. A real step to better motion sensing, not the shaky remotes but using your actual body.

You may call me stupid but.... explain to me how "They have good reason for this" seeing as they are being left in the dust by their own selling point for the Wii, MOTION SENSING!!!!

"yet so many people can't even think to why Nintendo might or might not do stuff?" Lack of money? Developers to lazy? Not worth the effort to improve their technology vastly? Any of those insane reasons make any sense to you?

I am done flaming you because I was disgusted at how you flamed everyone else. I don't think Nintendo is a little ninja waiting to slit the competitions throats when they think they are ahead. They seem more of a "lets produce this because we can! Mario Party XXXI!!!! With mildy improved graphics, and the same games as XVI!!! Sounds fun and it will sell!" They probably don't care because of the DSi.......

Deadman Walkin

Jul 17, 2008
Kwil said:
Wingmna said:
They're a company like every other, and they make their mis-steps like any other. Do the words "Virtual Boy" ring a bell? The Wii was a great move, no question. It was also a couple years ago.

Who said they think Nintendo hasn't seen this? As for your racism, I have no words. Perhaps you don't realize that Nintendo has an American division.

Ah. You mean like Bill Gates, who made MS-DOS, knew the system inside and out, which is why he limited DOS to 640k. He knew nobody would need more than that. And yeah, I firmly believe one guy can be smarter than a whole company, because at the end of the day all a company is is a collection of people, and when you track the bright ideas back, sooner or later you find they originated in the mind of some individual person in the company.

Well.. they could have, but you see, they have no patent on it, and without a patent if there's ever an argument, it goes in favor of the guy who first demonstrated the product. And guess what, MS just hired that guy -- so you can bet they'll have a patent on it in the next couple weeks. And oddly, processing power doesn't seem to be a problem for Microsoft's Xbox 360 or even their Natal. Can we really say that about the Wii?

And the level of thought you put into them is clear.

Seriously, the stupidity here is amazing. I need to Grow brains people.
Fixed.

High five for flaming the same guy!

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
They're a company like every other, and they make their mis-steps like any other. Do the words "Virtual Boy" ring a bell? The Wii was a great move, no question. It was also a couple years ago.
You ignored all my points on why they couldn't have hired him, why? And I never stated Nintendo was prefect.

Who said they think Nintendo hasn't seen this? As for your racism, I have no words. Perhaps you don't realize that Nintendo has an American division.
Well, that was one of my reasons why they didn't hire him, as well as knowing what their console could do anyway. So obviously your brain cannot connect, "oh he's saying that to give a reason to why Nintendo didn't hire him".

And lol? Racist? Are you serious? I'm a European Australian (I must be a racist for calling myself European!!). Calling someone who's blood line comes from Asia an Asian, how is that raciest? Wow, sorry but are you jsut being an idiot on purpose just to confuse me?

American division, sure, mostly for marketing for NA and/or translating and stuff like that. When it comes to the hardware specifics pretty much all the work is done in Japan. What are they going to do with him in America? Unlike M$ who's whole base of operations is in North America.

Ah. You mean like Bill Gates, who made MS-DOS, knew the system inside and out, which is why he limited DOS to 640k. He knew nobody would need more than that. And yeah, I firmly believe one guy can be smarter than a whole company, because at the end of the day all a company is is a collection of people, and when you track the bright ideas back, sooner or later you find they originated in the mind of some individual person in the company.
Wow, you really are an idiot aren't you?

I stated Nintendo knowing their stuff in reaction to people thinking Mr Lee knew Nintendo's system better then they did, which is idiot thinking... But not as idiot as you seem to be sir.

Well.. they could have, but you see, they have no patent on it, and without a patent if there's ever an argument, it goes in favor of the guy who first demonstrated the product. And guess what, MS just hired that guy -- so you can bet they'll have a patent on it in the next couple weeks. And oddly, processing power doesn't seem to be a problem for Microsoft's Xbox 360 or even their Natal. Can we really say that about the Wii?
Firstly, you are still confused about my whole post.

Secondly, what Lee could do with the Wii in his video is very different to what Natal is doing mostly. Sure Natal could track your head and you could see in an imitation 3d, but overall it isn't viable (see below).

Thirdly, no one actually knows what Natal processing power is like and what it needs, so you assuming that 360 can do everything Natal captures is jumping the gun a bit... But overall, yes 360 has better processing power then the Wii, but that wouldn't matter that much in the market since Nintendo would already have a new bag of goodies in store by the time this has finished development.

Otherwise, any insults aimmed at me are funny considering your inability to work out what I was talking about (a.k.a. all what I stated in my first post was in reply to people thinking Nintendo were stupid and wondering why Nintendo didn't follow what Lee did on Youtube).

So, they are smart because they didn't incorporate any of what this guy showed in his videos two years ago why? The guy knows his stuff and did a wonderful job manipulating it, and Natal looks a lot less "fiddly" then using those nasty Wii remotes.Honestly it takes awhile to be able to keep that thing perfectly straight, and use it accurately.
Again, Natal is completely different to what Lee did in his video. Sure, Natal could track your head movement and show 3d through that... But overall only ever work in one player contexts and I point out the basic problems in my first post, sure a guy on youtube can make a simple demo of it, but past that it gets a lot more complex (e.g. processing power required [imagine running a game like RE5 WHILE having these 3d effects on, the 360 would explode, you'd only ever be able to have basic games that get boring after 5 minutes of watching 3d on your TV screen], it is FAR from worth it if you don't have a big TV and aren't close to it). Sure, having 3d games whether through Wii or 360 will be great, but currently and for the next 10+ years they'll be nothing more then demos or mini-games (which won't get made anyway because they won't make any money).

Sure, complex games probably won't use this but who says they are gonna use it for ALL games? I HIGHLY doubt Nintendo invented motion sensing, seeing as those motion detectors have been around for ages.
Nintendo doesn't create anything. They take ideas, improve upon them and get them out into the mainstream. The 3d capabilities that Lee showed on the video are far from workable atm, sure he might be a tech nerd but saying "I want to see some games Nintendo!" at the end of his video really showed that he is only a tech nerd rather then someone that is capable of complex logic on everything from the market and from what people do in terms of console gaming.

Gratz, you can move around your room and get different angles on your TV, but what is that seriously going to do for anyone? Sure, it'll be fun to dodge to your right and then have the objects on screen move like they are real. But.... 1) you need to be the only person in the area... 2) you will have limited space to do it in (you will need a large area for where your 360 is placed)... 3) in the end you are STILL controlled by the centre of the room so the affect of actual movement is EXTREMELY limited...

The most this thing can do is mini-games like 1 player boxing. Nintendo no doubt looked into this and probably thought the basic idea was AMAZING, but also saw that it is impossible in our current societies.

If Nintendo was so "amazing" to make their sensing better, then it would be easier to control and graphics would be better. It is like saying Apple had a trap planned for Microsoft when they stole their technology......and then stole over 95% of the market.....and the trap comes....when?

This even though it looks a little skeptical, really looks interesting, instead of PS3's Wii remote (oh sorry I mean Magical Wand!) and the AMAZING technology that the Wii has brought along. A real step to better motion sensing, not the shaky remotes but using your actual body.
Nintendo was hugely limited at the start of this generation. To think that only NOW are the major corporations that have HUGE pools of knowledge in technology are only showing off better stuff now is amazing considering Nintendo is only a gaming company (Sony builds a huge range of hardware, and MS has huge range of divisions in software).

Not only that, but these devices are still years away... And these things won't even SELL, Nintendo are making these huge giants do useless stuff when they already have the audience. And by the time they do actually release these things, Nintendo would already have released information about their next development.

And yes, this technology is amazing, and Lee I'm sure is a smart guy and it is good that he got hired. But my post was in reaction to people trying to post against Nintendo with stupid reasons with no logical backing.

You may call me stupid but.... explain to me how "They have good reason for this" seeing as they are being left in the dust by their own selling point for the Wii, MOTION SENSING!!!!

"yet so many people can't even think to why Nintendo might or might not do stuff?" Lack of money? Developers to lazy? Not worth the effort to improve their technology vastly? Any of those insane reasons make any sense to you?

I am done flaming you because I was disgusted at how you flamed everyone else. I don't think Nintendo is a little ninja waiting to slit the competitions throats when they think they are ahead. They seem more of a "lets produce this because we can! Mario Party XXXI!!!! With mildy improved graphics, and the same games as XVI!!! Sounds fun and it will sell!" They probably don't care because of the DSi.......
Left behind in the dust? What? Nintendo knows what MS and Sony are up to, but they don't know what Nintendo is up to. That is all I see here, Nintendo is playing the game well and have the two others by the balls. Nintendo has the cheapest, least impressive technology in mainstream gaming and still kicking arse, how is that 'being left in the dust'??? Technologically you mean? Well like I noted, we don't know what Nintendo is doing, they are the best secret keepers in the game. If their motion sensing was release TODAY, yes, Nintendo would be behind technologically... But they aren't, so yes, you are wrong.

Lol, a whole company getting lazy is moronic, what are you... 12? Grow up buddy. And no, those reasons aren't insane, they are just ignorant.

And gratz on flaming me(?). Because that is all you could do, your points were worthless and stupid.

If you actually think Nintendo just ran into all these money on a sunny day just because of luck, then you are as ignorant as I thought. Keep believing your 12-year-old, 'I don't understand how the world works' crap buddy.

High five for flaming the same guy!
Meh, great minds think a-like, I'm guessing it's the same for idiots too.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Wingmna said:
Lots of words
I think you missed a big point about Lee's new job: that he isn't a game designer and was hired by a company thatpublishes very few first-party games.

What MS probably hired Lee for was to fund out just what could be done with Natal when you push it to its limits. This inormation will be used to help developers know what is feasable to develop. I'm convinced that MS hired Lee because they themselves are not quite sure of what Natal can do, and they want a second opinion from someone with experience in the field. I wouldn't expect to see any crazy game ideas come from Lee, but he may be credited with coming up for a new technique for game development.

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
Wow. Lots of angry words flying around here. I think I'll duck out of this argument quick-like.

This is great for Microsoft. I might not agree with their business model necessarily, but they make solid products that do what they're supposed to, usually with a minimum of trouble. There are only two reasons I use Linux: a) It's free. b)It's chuckle-fuckin' free! What more reason do I need?

Natal interests me, and I think it's the right direction for the future of console gaming, or at least, a right direction.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090605.jpg

hypothetical fact

Oct 8, 2008
Wingmna said:
American division, sure, mostly for marketing for NA and/or translating and stuff like that. When it comes to the hardware specifics pretty much all the work is done in Japan. What are they going to do with him in America? Unlike M$ who's whole base of operations is in North America.
Why does this moron think the man is cemented to the ground? In this day and age we have these wonderful inventions called planes that can take us all over the world so Nintendo deeloping hardware in Japan is not an excuse. Neither is the belief that he couldn't have worked in the American division and sent his work to Japan.
Wingmna said:
Thirdly, no one actually knows what Natal processing power is like and what it needs, so you assuming that 360 can do everything Natal captures is jumping the gun a bit... But overall, yes 360 has better processing power then the Wii, but that wouldn't matter that much in the market since Nintendo would already have a new bag of goodies in store by the time this has finished development.
Hmm so making assumptions about natal is wrong but making a million and one assumptions about Nintendo's bag of goodies or their ace in the hole and other crap which Nintendo have shown no evidence of in any demonstration is fine?

Face it, you're a fanboy with a big N glued to your face and some day you will realise that Nintendo is a company and just like any other, they just want your money. (Or your parent's money depending on how old you are.)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
The Shade said:
Well, if some guy I've never heard of says Project Natal is going to work, that's all I needed to hear.

Seriously.

o_0
You have seriously never heard about that guy or watched his videos? He's a freakin' genius, a magician.

Wingmna

Feb 10, 2009
Wingmna said:
Lots of words
I think you missed a big point about Lee's new job: that he isn't a game designer and was hired by a company thatpublishes very few first-party games.

What MS probably hired Lee for was to fund out just what could be done with Natal when you push it to its limits. This inormation will be used to help developers know what is feasable to develop. I'm convinced that MS hired Lee because they themselves are not quite sure of what Natal can do, and they want a second opinion from someone with experience in the field. I wouldn't expect to see any crazy game ideas come from Lee, but he may be credited with coming up for a new technique for game development.
Actually wrong. I never generalised about what MS did or didn't need from Lee, I know they hired him because he knows technology... Actually I state that.

Unlike you who generalised what my meaning and intent was. Yes, I referenced what he did in terms of the Wii, that is only natural considering that is why he has fame. And I only mentioned it because the people I was quoting referred to it.

Odd. I quoted every line in your message. So if I missed something, it's probably because you didn't put it in. Perhaps your typing got ahead of your thinking.
Wow man. Just wow. I meant you missed the purpose of my post. Just give up man, not even on the same intellectual level.

Clue in. You just said that Nintendo wouldn't hire a guy who isn't asian. So I assume you're accusing Nintendo of being racist. Either that means you're unaware that they have a North American division, thus obviously no problems with hiring someone not of Japanese descent. Or you hold the racist ideals that people of Japanese descent are racist against those who are not. Or.. I suppose it could be that you simply are incapable of writing out what you're thinking in a coherent manner. This would actually match the problem we had in the first paragraph.
Firstly, you do know I wrote that? If anyone has a 'clue in' it is me?

Okay, do you know how sentences work? Well, basically words are added together and become meaningful. Should I let you re-read what I said? Or should I grace you with telling what is meant from that sentence?

Since I'm such I nice person, I won't torture you over the meaning. Well, you see, in Japan (hence Japanese company), they speak a different language. This language is called Japanese. Now assuming that Lee sounds like he knows the English language quite well, and he probably knows much about the Chinese/Mandarin language. That is of course assuming he is Chinese American rather then actually being Japanese (since I don't think Lee as a surname is common in Japan). Not only is there a language barrier, but a culture one too. But you get the idea about what trouble it may cause Nintendo to hire a man who lives in America.

Was that simple enough for you that time? Not so racist now is it? Next time, read stuff more carefully before throwing racist around at a guy who had thousands of his 'people' protect Jews at the cost of their own lives from racism in WW2.

It is completely obvious the one of the reasons why Lee got hired is because of his current location. Hell, the is obvious again considering this is AMERICAN news that is on American websites, the Japanese will hear none of this.

Ironic, you thinking I'd missed the point of your paragraph when actually you completely missed the point of mine. I used Bill Gates as an example of someone who, it turned out, didn't know his technology as well as people from outside his company.. who eventually developed memory expanders to go well beyond his expectations of what could be done with his technology. Perhaps I was a bit too optimistic in guessing what you'd be able to infer from the fairly obvious example. My error, I should have tried harder to write to the level of my reader.
You do know what replying means don't you? Your post must be a reaction to my post, that is what replying means.
You came up with a defense of 'oh Bill Gates was really smart so im right and ur wrong', not much of a point considering Bill Gates. One, this is a completely different situation, Bill Gates developed his stuff in secret. Two, you really have no idea what Nintendo does or does not know, it is moronic assume the worst and think Nintendo has never even thought of what other things their Motion Sensor can do and it is even MORE moronic to think Nintendo hasn't seen a Youtube video that has had 10million view (not including the video being on other sources, e.g. other video sites or passed on via file on email). Three, Bill Gates developed that in a totally different condition, this isn't the 80s or 90s anymore. And of course, you really have no idea if this is true in this situation because it hasn't panned out like the Bill Gates thing did, ATM it is Nintendo who is the Bill Gates that knows exactly what they are doing and the markets prove this... While all you have is "LEE IS LIKE BILL GATES JUST JUST JUST CAUSE MS HIRED HIM!!!!"

So yes, your meaning was confusing since you didn't specifically state at all, "this is an example of how one man can do what a whole company hasn't and this relates to Lee". Sorry, but again, it is moronic to actually believe that Nintendo is only a shell company and that everyone knows what they are like by looking at the tiny peak of the iceberg rather then think there is a huge mass under the water.

Oh, do try to keep up. Developers received their development kits for Natal during the E3 conference.. ergo, the hardware is ready to go. If Nintendo is going to put together a bag of hardware goodies, they'd best do it soon if they hope to have it out before the third-party developers for MS start putting out actual software for Natal.
You do know developer kits are basically just media kits don't you? They pretty much contain what MS should at their conference. Developer kits contain no hardware.

And I doubt this will be ready within 2009, if it was they would have released AT LEAST an estimated time frame. There is nothing atm, with the complexity of natal it would take huge amounts of time to develop it enough to be ready for public release. We all know what happens when MS released something before it was ready....

Actually, no, that wasn't at all what you stated. It may have been what you meant, but it certainly wasn't what you wrote. This is the problem we're having. As for the insults, had you not felt the need to include insults in your post, you would have received none in return, as, if you'll care to note, any I made relied almost entirely on your previous ones.
The 'all I stated in the first post' thing was a direct reference to my first post noting ALL of what I said in it, not 'I'm repeating myself here just like my first post'... Are you seriously that much of an idiot that you thought that when I stated that, that I was referring to what I said within the same post then referring that bit to my first post?

Anyway, that's what I think you mean, you can't seem to understand very much, you are taking everything out of context and making it mean something totally different.

So, if you STILL don't understand, the paragraph that YOU quoted (the "otherwise, any insults...) was referring to MY FIRST POST, which I made because people were spamming saying Nintendo were idiots like good like PS3 and Xbox360 fanboys who are so blind that they can't that MS and Sony are failing to understand how the market works and failing to understand what Nintendo is doing. EVERYONE knew, including Nintendo that if Wii took off they were going to copy them... BECAUSE SONY AND MS ARE A VOID OF EMPTY IDEAS, whether in gaming or in business.

Why did you only reply to one paragraph btw?
Oh yes, I guess the whole thing at once is too hard for you, and you'd rather get lazy and just take one part of my post out of context and reply to that.

Insulting: my first post wasn't a reply to you, so I don't know where you get this idea that I started this when you were the first one that called me a racist. My 'the stupidity here is amazing' was not directly aimed at you, or rather anyone since I didn't specifically mention one or some persons.

And... You do know you were the first one telling me that I should grow a brain?

Wow, can't even remember what you posted. Hypocrite much? No wonder I keep calling you an idiot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually a proud Wii owner and supporter, and I don't think any software developers have come anywhere near to tapping the full potential of the wii-mote to date -- and that includes Nintendo. But missing out on hiring innovative thinkers like Lee is part of the reason why. Are his tech-demos whizz bang impressive? Sorta. They're rather small, and crude, like you point out, but they're also revolutionary in that they take things that were possible only through massively expensive systems, and translated them down into a couple hundred bucks.
I just spent my list few posts explaining why Nintendo didn't hire him and why they didn't need to hire him.
Lee didn't come up with that idea, of sticking something on your head and the screen follows it to imitate 3d. Sure he worked it out and showed perfectly how it could be done, etc, but I have no doubts that Nintendo already thought of it considering the design of the Wii itself (the Wii being the motion sensor and having all the power rather then the sensor bar having it). The internals of all companies have vast and vast amounts of information and knowledge that doesn't get out into the public, whether MS, Sony or Nintendo, the public only ever sees the tiny tiny tip of the iceberg that these companies are.

This is where Nintendo needs to be concerned, because if Lee can pull this off on his own, unfunded, with consumer grade parts, think of what he'll be able to do funded by Microsoft and with access to the latest tech money can buy + some tech that money can't. Yeah, Nintendo's done great by marketing a system that meets the needs of the masses at a price point they can afford. Jonny Lee has managed to replicate a system that sells for upwards of five figures regularly (go price out a large multi-touch whiteboard) for just over 200 bucks -- and made it portable in your pocket at the same time. He's managed to put single user 3D into a normal display system for about the same price point, something that previously either simply wasn't done or would tend to invoke eyestrain and nausea. (Oh, and incidentally.. your claims about the amount of processing it would take aren't true. Games like RE5 already make all the calculations about what you see based on your position in the game. Lee's system simply changes that to your actual position in front of the television.) What you don't seem to understand about Lee's work isn't that it's huge, but that it's so amazingly simple and elegant.. that's a hard thing to come by, and it's something that Microsoft, if it wants to hit the mass market, really needs.
Like I noted earlier, Lee is a smart guy and he got a job, doesn't make him revolutionary. There are many hackers on the Wii, doing all kinds of things with it... And Nintendo knew all these things could be done because they designed the Wii and made sure any normal person couldn't use those aspects on purpose. E.G. Wii can play DVDs technically, but Nintendo doesn't let users use this aspect because of some important reasons (because Nintendo is sticking solely to gaming, because they would have to pay for the DVD rights, etc) and this is exactly the same for the head movement. Nintendo knew that the Wii Remote had a IR camera, thousands of tech people already knew what this technology did and guessed what it could do via hacks. Good for Lee for expanding it and getting it into the public, but it isn't a special flower, it has been known for a long period (most likely when it was announced) that the technology in the Wii remote can be used else where.

Great, Lee found a job, I'm happy, but Nintendo had very good reasons not to hire him. He isn't a special and is the only one who knew what this technology could do, he was just the one to blog about it and get his video on youtube. He will be a great asset to MS, but that never meant Nintendo would or even could hire him.

The Wii is far from "only does tracking", of course he could do IR tracking outside of the Wii, the Wii is made for games... Not ONLY IR tracking, again, this isn't revolutionary. Saying he can do what the Wii does in a pen is moronic considering Wii is a gaming system and not something you solely use for writing on boards with. Sorry but thinking the IR in a pen that comes from a Wiimote is as good as a Wii is beyond idiotic, Wii is a gaming platform, it is far more then just an IR machine. Anyway, the technology he uses he got from a wii, so how would 'making into a pocket pen' when the pocket pen is using the Wii's technology?

Can RE5 run in imitation 3d? Maybe, personally I don't think its that simple, they'd need to create a new process for enabling it and it would probably be impossible on current gen consoles and even the game since it might require a totally different way of processing information, a way that wouldn't exist on current gen consoles.