Max Payne 3 Review

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
I was actually quite disappointed in the game.
Sometimes his internal monologues were hilarious because they just reminded me of something a 14 year old kid would say when they discover the 'emo' fashion. Very pretentious.

The transitions were nauseating and I missed the graphic novel feel.

The action was a blast though.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Nantucket said:
Sometimes his internal monologues were hilarious because they just reminded me of something a 14 year old kid would say when they discover the 'emo' fashion. Very pretentious.
Ha ha, have you played the previous games? You get such gems as:
"The sun went down with practiced bravado. Twilight crawled across the sky, laden with foreboding."

What does that even mean?

Does Max Payne 3 have less of the hammy, hardboiled metaphors? Or are they back with a vengeance? It always came across as amateurish - that people felt "well its a neo-noir story, it must have the endless monologuing!" No it doesn't. This isn't a book, and in a visual medium, visuals should tell the story. I don't need Deckard explaining everything to me in Blade Runner, whatever the producers might have thought.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
AC10 said:
Casual Shinji said:
AC10 said:
Well, if it's not noir style it's just not for me. Quite frankly, those cut-scenes look abysmal.
And you know the best thing about them? YOU CAN'T SKIP THEM!!! The game loads at a snail's pace, and by the time you can finally skip the cutscene it would've only lasted a few more seconds anyway.

This game is just badly made, it's an absolute mess. I've heard one reviewer say it's basically GTA with Bullet Time, and that's about right, including the bad controls and bad cover mechanics.

Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for putting something this broken on the market.
You know, i was kind of worried about this myself. IMO Rockstar has never really nailed the shooting mechanics in any game they've made, so I was incredibly wary of MP3. Thanks for confirming my fears! I'll probably stay well clear of this one.
The shoot-outs can actually be a real blast once the game finally gives you the reigns, it's just that everything else is extremely mediocre and annoying.
maninahat said:
Nantucket said:
"The sun went down with practiced bravado. Twilight crawled across the sky, laden with foreboding."

This is actually fun sounding dialoge in that over the top Sin City sort of way. Max Payne 3 on the other hand is, as Nantucket mentioned, just whiny and bitchy. You could have a drinking game everytime Max says something about shallow rich people. You'd think that with age Max would gain an old man's mentality, but it seems all the booze and painkillers regressed his mind to that of a know-it-all teenager.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Mike Kayatta said:
Max Payne 3 Review

Drunken time manipulation has never been so fun.

Read Full Article
You wrote: "Max Payne 3 finds Max where one usually finds Max: eyes down at the floor of a bar with a drink in his hand and ten more in his stomach."

The player has never found Max Payne like that. The only bars he was in in the first 2 games got shot up and he didn't have a drink first.

CAPTCHA: that hurts.

How fitting. This damn game hurts.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
I miss Sam Lake's writing.

It's not genius, and half of the time quite awful, but as it turns out, it was what Max Payne makes Max Payne.
The Nordic Mythology References, the self-awareness, the corny metaphors and overall the feeling that the story constantly is on the edge between goofy parody and compelling heavy handed drama. It was pastice, sort of what Tarantino does in most of his movies, imitating styles to thier extreme and embracing all the tropes and cliches to make a working story out of it.
Well rounded presentation aside, Max Payne 3 comes off as an average, predictable action thriller. In terms of storys in games, it may still be above many others, but it still comes off as a disappointment.

Two Chapters in, i sadly have to agree with Nantucket and Shinji.
In an obvious effort to make Max's monologues less weird and (endearingly) bad, it instead becomes drenched in constant, sometimes uncalled for bitterness and cynicism that makes Max sound like a whiny douche, and overall the story loses it's certain charm.
Oh, and it doesn't help that most of the supporting characters seem rather to belong in a GTA Game (i was surprised how much you see a distinct Houser writing style) than in Max Paynes.

But well, the shooting is fun and well made, so it's hardly a complete failure.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012
maninahat said:
Nantucket said:

Does Max Payne 3 have less of the hammy, hardboiled metaphors? Or are they back with a vengeance? It always came across as amateurish - that people felt "well its a neo-noir story, it must have the endless monologuing!" No it doesn't. This isn't a book, and in a visual medium, visuals should tell the story. I don't need Deckard explaining everything to me in Blade Runner, whatever the producers might have thought.
I have played the previous games but it has been years since I have.
Max Payne 3 is full of hammy metaphors. There is a scene where he's just in his apartment spouting them nonsensically. I understand why he is brooding and depressed but knock off the poetics for just five minutes.

saintchristopher

Goes "Ding" When There's Stuff.
Aug 14, 2009
frankly if I hadn't enjoyed the script so much I wouldn't have played this game for more than a night. the gameplay never, ever changes. The only thing that makes this remarkable at all is how good James McCaffrey is as Max himself.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
Nantucket said:
maninahat said:
Nantucket said:

I have played the previous games but it has been years since I have.
Max Payne 3 is full of hammy metaphors. There is a scene where he's just in his apartment spouting them nonsensically. I understand why he is brooding and depressed but knock off the poetics for just five minutes.
I think the monologues get better when the story progresses and it feels like there is a better reason for it. I know some of the dialogue made the chapters better near the end when you finally found out what was really going on. I will admit in early chapters the narration could have been cut in half or really just silent levels.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow... those cutscenes look like they would give me a headache.

I was apprehensive when this game was announced and this review has made me even more so. The clips where Max was spouting his usual metaphor heavy, pesamistic monologues amongst the bright colours of Sao Paulo were just laughable. Honestly, the two don't look like they fit.

In Max Payne 1 and 2 the city of New York was a character in itself and I LOVED that because both Max and his home were as dark, despairing and downtrodden (woo aliteration!) as each other. It was a perfect fit. I miss the old setting not because I am a fanboy with entitlement issues but because it was a major part of what made the games great for me.

If anyone has played the game and can convince me otherwise, please, be my guest.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels.
I love you right now. That's my favourite line from the original games. Along with:

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free."

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
Wow... those cutscenes look like they would give me a headache.

I was apprehensive when this game was announced and this review has made me even more so. The clips where Max was spouting his usual metaphor heavy, pesamistic monologues amongst the bright colours of Sao Paulo were just laughable. Honestly, the two don't look like they fit.

In Max Payne 1 and 2 the city of New York was a character in itself and I LOVED that because both Max and his home were as dark, despairing and downtrodden (woo aliteration!) as each other. It was a perfect fit. I miss the old setting not because I am a fanboy with entitlement issues but because it was a major part of what made the games great for me.

If anyone has played the game and can convince me otherwise, please, be my guest.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels.
I love you right now. That's my favourite line from the original games. Along with:

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free."
The game does have flashbacks to New Jersey and most of sao Paulo takes place in the slums mostly. The game plays off of Max in the "fish out of water" and stupid American stereotype in Sao Paulo.

Derelict Frog

Jun 7, 2010
AC10 said:
Casual Shinji said:
AC10 said:
Well, if it's not noir style it's just not for me. Quite frankly, those cut-scenes look abysmal.
And you know the best thing about them? YOU CAN'T SKIP THEM!!! The game loads at a snail's pace, and by the time you can finally skip the cutscene it would've only lasted a few more seconds anyway.

This game is just badly made, it's an absolute mess. I've heard one reviewer say it's basically GTA with Bullet Time, and that's about right, including the bad controls and bad cover mechanics.

Rockstar should be ashamed of themselves for putting something this broken on the market.
You know, i was kind of worried about this myself. IMO Rockstar has never really nailed the shooting mechanics in any game they've made, so I was incredibly wary of MP3. Thanks for confirming my fears! I'll probably stay well clear of this one.
Seems weird that you'd immediately decide not to buy a game based on this one random guy who played it, and not the stellar review under which your comment resides...

Also people keep seeming to equate noir with darkness and New York. Having completed Max Payne 1 and 2 there I can outright say that if it weren't for the game specifically saying that you were in New York you would have had no idea that you were there. It could have been any big city at night really. Apart from meaning black in French, noir doesn't have to be set at night. It's just a descriptor for a piece of work that emphasises sex and cynicism.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Derelict Frog said:
AC10 said:
Casual Shinji said:
AC10 said:

Seems weird that you'd immediately decide not to buy a game based on this one random guy who played it, and not the stellar review under which your comment resides...

Also people keep seeming to equate noir with darkness and New York. Having completed Max Payne 1 and 2 there I can outright say that if it weren't for the game specifically saying that you were in New York you would have had no idea that you were there. It could have been any big city at night really. Apart from meaning black in French, noir doesn't have to be set at night. It's just a descriptor for a piece of work that emphasises sex and cynicism.
Well, to say he's a random guy is false. He's been on here for about 3 years (and 4 myself). You kind of get to know people's opinions and tastes if you hang around somewhere for that long.

In reality though, I really just generally dislike Rockstar games almost every time, so that's what was really keeping me away. It's just that I truly enjoyed MP1 and 2 so I had a small iota of hope for 3. It just looks like an all the way different game in a style that just doesn't give with me. The game really just looks very "rockstar" in my eyes and, personally, that's not a good thing.

Shadeovblack

Jul 4, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:

The metaphors. The similes. Two companions as reliable and true to the Max Payne series as a pair of Desert Eagles and a lifetime's prescription of painkillers. Gone. There's a bullet-shaped hole where the metaphors should be, and Rockstar are the ones fingering the trigger. Seeing the third game, it's like kissing your love goodbye, only to find she's already dead.

Looking back, you see the graphic novel cutscenes, the noir tropes... like a doomed romance, you only get the full picture in hindsight. The way the serious clashes with the surreal, the over-the-top meets the understated. You realise how the developers used the absurd to underscore the emotional content... and like any doomed romance, you finally realise just how they broke your heart. Mona, Vinnie, Vlad, Woden... they're all dead. And where you once had the memory of them, now all you've got is a drunken void where your memories should be. A gaping hole, growing deeper behind you.

Playing Max Payne 3, thinking about death is unavoidable. It's a weight chained to your ankles, a pocket full of stones dragging you into the sea. The death of the dream sequences. The death of the meta-TV shows. The death of the femme-fatale. Every sly wink and knowing nod made to the gamer, replaced with a scowl and a flip of the bird. It's like watching your own funeral, except it's not you in the casket, but a bloated old man with a shaved head and a terrible taste in shirts. Looking around, you see how things have changed. You're no longer a pastiche of noir cliches, but a character from Miami Vice. Where you once saw symbols in everything around you, painted onto the world like cave paintings, like hidden clues, now you see cheap moralising and Sunday morning preaching. Where you once saw the snows of the Fimbulwinter, and the beginnings of Ragnarok itself, now there's just the heat of a Brazilian summer's evening.

Metaphors. Similes. Metafiction. This is what I see when I look back. These moments, blinding as snow, they kill you, change you. You die and live again, remade.

Thank you, that's all I need to know to make my decision.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
I was just about to make a thread about those stupid fucking cutscenes. I couldn't care less about Max's monologues in this game, because I can barely process what he's saying due to those stupid fucking flashes and those goddamn floating texts and-FOR THE LOVE OF MIGRAINE MEDICINE THOSE FUCKING CUTSCENES ARE ANNOYING!

I remember back when they were releasing those trailers for the aspects of the game, guns, bullet time, etc, etc. One of them was about storytelling and I believe the man speaking said:

Random Announcer Guy said:
"With Max Payne 3, Rockstar has tried to make a uniquely cinematic action game that uses a series of presentation innovations to move the game seamlessly from cutscene to gunplay"
Yes,they tried...and failed miserably. It's unique in the fact that it's the only game to ever give me a migraine without actually having to play it. Oh and here's another one:

Random Announcer Guy said:
"The game transitions gameplay to cutscenes using a range of cinematic editing techniques, without ever showing a loading screen"
Yes, instead you just put up a bunch of flickering lights and made everything disorienting, even when Max was simply walking down a fucking street or casual talking to someone in a completely lit area! Seriously Rockstar, there are easier ways to hide a cutscene. And besides, I'm pretty sure there's a loading icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen at times. There goes your "smooth" transitions.

In fact, that entire trailer displays mostly everything that's wrong with Max Payne 3. The "cinematics," the "Noir graphic style," and well, most of what I'm listing has already been stated here.