Maybe I'm old but....What the F.....Fortnite

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Yes.

Fortnite has been doing cross-promotions for years.

Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Halo, John Wick, Borderlands. Whatever. Its all there.

The game also added Batman a while back. Nothing will be more jarring than watching Batman running around with an Assault rifle, killing a dude, and then doing the floss.

If you come to Fortnite for characters acting in a lore-appropriate ways, you aren't going to find it here.

But seriously, I literally have a packet of Call of Duty sponsored Mac and Cheese in my cupboard. This is the boring distopia that we live in. Everything is fair game at this point.
Its called Eliminations, we don't use the word "kill" in battle royale

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
You know what's really sad? Someday, the younger generation will think these figures came from fortnite, and won't even know the great movies they originated from
I doubt it. First, the Internet is a thing. Second, back in Super Smash Bros., I can attest that for myself and my friends, it was the first time we were introduced to characters like Samus or later on, Roy and Marth. None of us ended up believing that SSB was the origin of these characters, and if anything, the fact that Roy and Marth were in Melee led (partly) to Fire Emblem finally being released in the West.

People might associate such characters with Fortnite, but it's doubtful they'll believe it's the origin of them.

Reactions: sXeth and BrawlMan

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I doubt it. First, the Internet is a thing. Second, back in Super Smash Bros., I can attest that for myself and my friends, it was the first time we were introduced to characters like Samus or later on, Roy and Marth. None of us ended up believing that SSB was the origin of these characters, and if anything, the fact that Roy and Marth were in Melee led (partly) to Fire Emblem finally being released in the West.

People might associate such characters with Fortnite, but it's doubtful they'll believe it's the origin of them.

Yeah at the time I played Super Smash Bros, I didn't know who Samus or Ness were. Or Jigglypuff (though I got that it was a pokemon). The Gamecube roster I had basically no idea who any of the new ones were except the Zelda ones.

I'm sure there's kids who see Fortnite skins that originate from some IP or another that they don't recognize. But they probably just think its a weirdly named ninja costume, or something. AFAIK Fortnite BR doesn't have any actual characters (Saves the World barely had 2 consistent ones, and a handful of mostly one-note joke side NPCs)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012

You mean these right heeeerrreeee?

Yea.

I mean, I left out the Final Fantasy and Witcher ones, cause those sort of tried to incorporate into a way that actually made lore sense.

Come ot think of it, there was an Assassins Creed one too. And Resident Evil. And Horizon Zero Dawn.

DMC one actually caused a bit of a stink. Cause (it changed later when they added transmog basically), the Dante gear was actually fairly high tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
They are now adding in a bunch of Lara Croft skins to the game.

You know, upon reflection, im a bit conflicted about Fortnite. On one hand, I think it is really cool that this game is just a massive mash up of a whole bunch of games and movies.

On the other hand, I really don't like Battle Royale games as a genre, and Fortnite is no different. There is also a substantial amount of tonal whiplash, seeing as all characters function the same way - ie, Batman should not be running around with an assault rifle, nor should Chun Li, or Iron Man.

But, I also understand that creating a character that functions just like the character in question would, would take a lot of work.

I just kind of wish that there was a Smash Bros... that was bigger than Smash Bros

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009

What the hell is this? Fortnite is a shooty shooty bang bang game right? Why are there Street Fighter characters in the game now?

Has Fortnite just become a promotional tool now? From movie trailers, to concerts, to...Capcom characters?

Oh also people on twitter are complaining about Chun-li's ass being.....too much of an ass I guess. The more things change the more they stay the same I suppose.

What time is that state of play? I'm so bored today!
Emptiest of empty money-making: save yourself having to have any creative effort and just licence someone's IP instead.

I felt a little bit about this with Lego. I mean, the original plastic bricks stuff. The great thing about Lego was you were creative and made your own stuff. Yeah, you can build the castle / spaceship / house on the box, but chances are you'll do that and then pull it apart and make your own thing. Then they licensed IP and you build the Millenium Falcon and it's the Millennium Falcon and kids use it as the Millennium Falcon because they're supposed to have the Millennium Falcon. Say goodbye to your creativity, kids: moneymakers want to do the thinking for you, and bill you as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Emptiest of empty money-making: save yourself having to have any creative effort and just licence someone's IP instead.

I felt a little bit about this with Lego. I mean, the original plastic bricks stuff. The great thing about Lego was you were creative and made your own stuff. Yeah, you can build the castle / spaceship / house on the box, but chances are you'll do that and then pull it apart and make your own thing. Then they licensed IP and you build the Millenium Falcon and it's the Millennium Falcon and kids use it as the Millennium Falcon because they're supposed to have the Millennium Falcon. Say goodbye to your creativity, kids: moneymakers want to do the thinking for you, and bill you as well.
Lego I can understand, because not every kid has the craftability to create the thing they actually want to make with a bunch of random bricks. As a kid I played with Kennex a lot, and I always just built the thing that I was supposed to. Those who want to create something else, will, even if the set is designed with something else in mind.

Fortnight has such a young audience that I can't imagine they even know what half the characters are. And it isn't like there is a creativity tool in Fortnight really. Sure you can be creative in tactics I guess, but nobody is going to let anyone build something awesome in any given game. Maybe they are trying to just appeal to the "cool" factor for stupid kid money? That's probably it.

I always think to myself, "Man I can't wait for kids to move on from Fortnight" but then I remember that I was a stupid kid obsessed with Power Rangers. I'm old and I think everything meant for kids is dumb. And if it weren't Fortnight, it would be something else I think is stupid like Fall Guys or Among Us.

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU DAMN KIDS!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lego I can understand, because not every kid has the craftability to create the thing they actually want to make with a bunch of random bricks. As a kid I played with Kennex a lot, and I always just built the thing that I was supposed to. Those who want to create something else, will, even if the set is designed with something else in mind.

Fortnight has such a young audience that I can't imagine they even know what half the characters are. And it isn't like there is a creativity tool in Fortnight really. Sure you can be creative in tactics I guess, but nobody is going to let anyone build something awesome in any given game. Maybe they are trying to just appeal to the "cool" factor for stupid kid money? That's probably it.

I always think to myself, "Man I can't wait for kids to move on from Fortnight" but then I remember that I was a stupid kid obsessed with Power Rangers. I'm old and I think everything meant for kids is dumb. And if it weren't Fortnight, it would be something else I think is stupid like Fall Guys or Among Us.

At least Power Rangers could be fun. now the series did have its bad seasons every now and then, but most of the stuff was either regular good or decent. The action director, Isaac Florentine, got his career started by doing episodes of the later power rangers series. then he did wmac masters, and eventually he started doing direct to DVD action films. There's always a jumping off point for someone and he definitely benefited from it. Not to mention, a lot of the actors that did power rangers are really cool and easy going. Most of them are good or decent people.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
At least Power Rangers could be fun. now the series did have its bad seasons every now and then, but most of the stuff was either regular good or decent. The action director, Isaac Florentine, got his career started by doing episodes of the later power rangers series. then he did wmac masters, and eventually he started doing direct to DVD action films. There's always a jumping off point for someone and he definitely benefited from it. Not to mention, a lot of the actors that did power rangers are really cool and easy going. Most of them are good or decent people.
Do you remember the cartoon Gargoyles? I really really loved that one.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I don't like anything in popular culture that I can't avoid and fortnite is at the top of that goddamn list. I don't know what it is, but when something becomes so popular that I can't watch TV or youtube or whatever without being constantly assaulted with commercials for it I immediately start hating it and refuse to give it any of my money or time.

In this case I think it's less Fortnites fault and more Capcoms. While I appreciate that they still make good games on occasion man do they ever sell their souls at every opportunity. Skins? Hell try figuring out what DLC you need to buy these days to actually get the full character roster on SFV.

tumblr_ff187268aed4ee3c6bba77d2332aa59b_2bd9a1e3_400.gif

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I somehow made it through my kid years (‘98 grad) largely ignorant and indifferent of the Power Rangers craze, or anything involving real people in stupid looking costumes (unless we count Sesame Street, but IIRC those were all hand-worked puppets? Plus they were legit cool looking on a kid level). Barney too thankfully; that might’ve scarred my love of dinosaurs.

My off-the-rails moment for a while was probably PeeWee. But was he really that bad though? If it wasn’t for the *incident* he’d most likely still have a great rep as a kid’s show. Not on a Mr Roger’s Neighborhood level, but still.

Personally the swan song of my kid era just so happened to be the God-Tier production known as Batman: TAS, so we’re all good here.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
this case I think it's less Fortnites fault and more Capcoms. While I appreciate that they still make good games on occasion man do they ever sell their souls at every opportunity. Skins? Hell try figuring out what DLC you need to buy these days to actually get the full character roster on SFV.
It's why I waited 4 years and bought the champion edition. it came within recent DLC characters and most of the costume dlc. You're still not getting the complete package because they're still other DLC costumes. I checked them out on YouTube and they're not worth it so, I don't bother with them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Do you remember the cartoon Gargoyles? I really really loved that one.
The thing I remember most about it was being the first time I ever heard a Disney cartoon character swear (In the premier, David Xanatos says "pay a man enough money, and he'll walk barefoot into Hell"). The other thing I remember most about it was it basically being a Star Trek: The Next Generation reunion for Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm fine with it. I'm probably never going to play the game unless it becomes compulsory, but I hope all the people who do play it can enjoy it. Would like them to add Steve Buscemi as a character if they haven't already.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Man WTF they put Lara Croft in it this time?

soon all games shall be Fortnite! It will consume all and become ALL!!!!
They have not gotten Streets of Rage or Sonic yet. Nor Mario or Crash. They can have Gears and Halo; no one cares.