Maybe I'm old but....What the F.....Fortnite

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If you're going to put a Sonic character in Fortnite, at least make it Shadow. He's got a history of using firearms after all.

That said, I expect you'd have to increase his height as well. Same as Mario and Crash for that matter (the latter of which, incidentally, HAS used firearms).

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
If you're going to put a Sonic character in Fortnite, at least make it Shadow. He's got a history of using firearms after all.

That said, I expect you'd have to increase his height as well. Same as Mario and Crash for that matter (the latter of which, incidentally, HAS used firearms).
Eww like a weirdly streched Sonic and Shadow with ugly long arms and shit?

No thanks.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its called Eliminations, we don't use the word "kill" in battle royale
Ehh, eliminations doesn't work as well as kills.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Speaking of Fortnight, ya'll remember PUBG?

I remember saying when that game first popped up that the moment a AAA-company comes along and makes a BR game with a budget then PUGB is fucked. And I just looked on Twitch and PUBG I couldn't even find. I can't remember or even know if that game ever even got a update after it got ported (terribly) to Xbone.

At least Fortnight keeps the ball rolling with stuff I guess, so whatever.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Speaking of Fortnight, ya'll remember PUBG?

I remember saying when that game first popped up that the moment a AAA-company comes along and makes a BR game with a budget then PUGB is fucked. And I just looked on Twitch and PUBG I couldn't even find. I can't remember or even know if that game ever even got a update after it got ported (terribly) to Xbone.

At least Fortnight keeps the ball rolling with stuff I guess, so whatever.
I distinctly remember saying on Twitter that Fortnite will never come close to beating PUBG at its own game, because PUBG is PUBG.

It is important to remember that at this point, PUBG was hitting its peak of 3.2 million concurrent players on PC alone jeez, that is a lot

I guess I severely underestimated how successful a game could be, that was competently built, available on all platforms, free-to-play, and had the backing of an established developer.

God, I'm an idiot.

PUBG is still wildly popular, and is consistently one of the most-played games on Steam (usually in the Top 3) - with a 24h peak of around 450k concurrent players, but it is a far cry from its golden days.

So, I guess it has gone from making all of the money, to just a lot of it.

Nowadays, between Fortnite, COD Warzone and Apex Legends, If I was looking for a Battle Royale fix, I'm spoiled for choice. I honestly see no reason why anyone would choose to play PUBG over any of those three games, but apparently 100,000's of people make the choice to play PUBG every day, so what do I know?

At least there is that new game in the "PUBG universe" to look forward to. Whatever that means.

Last edited:

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Fortnite's building mechanic makes it a total trash game though. It's becoming more and more a social media platform. Which means marketing targeted to the lowest common denominator.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Steam claims PUBG has a current 222,000 players with a 416,000 peak. That puts it above Rainbow Six: Siege, Apex Legends, Valheim and GTA V and third only after CS:GO and DotA2. PUBG is not dead by a long shot but the introduction of bots killed the appeal for me personally.
I found PUBG frustrating: I never had any real sense of where my bullets were going with various weapons. So much of the learning experience is suddenly dying without even seeing an enemy, so I never got a real grip on the fighting mechanics. I remember firing at a group about 2-300m away with a scoped AK in single shot mode, and I swear I fired two clips and don't think I scored a single hit nor had any awareness of what I needed to do to get the target. Early on I just tried unloading at a guy less than 10m away with his back to me using an assault rifle: in all games I'm used to like CS:S, tthey'll be full of bullets and game over no matter what they do. In PUBG I have no idea where all my bullets went to, but evidently not many on target and the guy just turned round and killed me. And I was spraying because times I'd been aiming I just didn't seem to hit (maybe lag screwed my accuracy, who knows?)

I'm no great player - I was an above average public server player on stuff like CS:S, but I was really poor at PUBG the minute any fighting started.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I found PUBG frustrating: I never had any real sense of where my bullets were going with various weapons. So much of the learning experience is suddenly dying without even seeing an enemy, so I never got a real grip on the fighting mechanics. I remember firing at a group about 2-300m away with a scoped AK in single shot mode, and I swear I fired two clips and don't think I scored a single hit nor had any awareness of what I needed to do to get the target. Early on I just tried unloading at a guy less than 10m away with his back to me using an assault rifle: in all games I'm used to like CS:S, tthey'll be full of bullets and game over no matter what they do. In PUBG I have no idea where all my bullets went to, but evidently not many on target and the guy just turned round and killed me. And I was spraying because times I'd been aiming I just didn't seem to hit (maybe lag screwed my accuracy, who knows?)

I'm no great player - I was an above average public server player on stuff like CS:S, but I was really poor at PUBG the minute any fighting started.
I think the feeling of inconsistency in these games comes from the armour/damage mitigation items. One guy will go down in one shot, whereas another will take a dozen.

My experience with BR games seems to end in 1 of 3 ways:
1) I see nobody for an entire match, I make it into the Top 10, and then I get absolutely destroyed.
2) I get murdered by someone 100m's away, who I cannot see.
3) I finally get the drop on someone, but they have top-tier armour/a way better weapon, or whatever, and beat me in a gunfight.

In the few hours that I have spent in games like Apex, PUBG, and DayZ, I think I have collectively killed about 5 people.

I don't really like these games.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Fortnite is encroaching on Smash territory.

Sakurai needs to send some goons to the Epic HQ.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Im sure PUBG scratches an itch for those people who dont like cartoony bullshit and want a realistic graphical style. Or more importantly dont want to deal with building mechanics because they think it is dumb.

Yesterday when i checked on twitch, PUBG only had 9k viewers and they were all Russian or Korean maybe i couldnt tell which flavor of Kanji the writting was.

If steam says there are 200k people concurrently, i dunno if that is inflated from bots or maybe it is just world wide numbers and isnt much happening in the west with that game.

Usually when the big streamers move on, it is over. Like how is Fall Guys and Among Us doing now?

Either way it doesnt look like PUBG is going to get any further support and that might be fine for some people. There are other less known BR games that have a small but dedicated audience like Escape From Tarkov.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
In the few hours that I have spent in games like Apex, PUBG, and DayZ, I think I have collectively killed about 5 people.
I would say my kill:death ratio in PUBG was just below 1. I had a few good games where I killed about 3 people, mostly I died without even knowing I was in anyone's crosshairs, and I got several top 5 finishes but mostly by avoiding combat wherever possible.

Yeah, PUBG takes a really simulationist to its weapons. Not only do different guns have different muzzle velocities but different bullet drops and recoil patterns as well. On top of that every gun has a "grace period" between shots during which you can not reliably hit anything because the gun is still settling back from recoil. And just to make it all even more complicated all guns have individual weapon sways and accuracy loss depending on firing stance.
Yes - I don't mind that: it's learnable like anything else although had been a long time since I've put serious time into one when I played PUBG. With no sort of "testing ground", just the battles themselves, and the combat too sparse and short, I just found too little experience to learn how the guns felt and worked.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
If steam says there are 200k people concurrently, i dunno if that is inflated from bots or maybe it is just world wide numbers and isnt much happening in the west with that game.
Steam I think records how many people with Steam accounts are playing a game - it's monitoring Steam users, not the game servers. So for instance I have some games like Elite: Dangerous I play direct from the Frontier Dev portal, and therefore I'm not sure Steam will pick me playing E: D up in their stats. If this is the case, it won't pick up bots.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Fortnite's building mechanic makes it a total trash game though. It's becoming more and more a social media platform. Which means marketing targeted to the lowest common denominator.
You know, being as insanely popular as it is with kids, all this makes me think is it’s probably also the biggest draw for child predators and possibly even sex traffickers. If the developers were smart they’d use the game as a means of baiting and catching some of these shitheads.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
You know, being as insanely popular as it is with kids, all this makes me think is it’s probably also the biggest draw for child predators and possibly even sex traffickers. If the developers were smart they’d use the game as a means of baiting and catching some of these shitheads.
I'm sure there's more than a few law enforcement agencies taking that tack.