ME: Andromeda: A Postmortem

Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so, I want to talk about Andromeda.

First, I should start with a warning about the incoming wall-o'-text. I'm going to get pretty thorough here. Also, as a disclaimer, the Mass Effect Trilogy is my favorite franchise, so take however much salt with my opinions that you think is required.

Also SPOILERS, if anyone cares.

I saw and heard many of the same things all you fine people did leading up to this game's release. The ME3 ending effectively fucked any possibility of a sequel to the franchise, and prequels would be pointlessly boring, so what the hell else could they do to continue it? Some people liked the idea of ignoring the ending by jumping to another galaxy, some people hated it, some people just want EA to go fuck a fondue pot, etc. I thought it was the only option with any potential.

As the game's release date got closer, I heard a lot about a rushed production, about awful character animation, about a racist development team member, about Bioware putting an inexperienced team on the project, about how EA should go stick their dicks in boiling cheese, etc. I never bother to pay attention to pre-release hype because marketing is all bullshit, but I also try not to judge a game based on assumptions before its release either. And I can't recall any non-COD game that had been so thoroughly judged before anyone had played it like ME:A had.

So I decided to wait a while to play it. I heard they were doing some patches to fix some of the glitches and inconsistencies, and I wanted to give them time to make it a better game. I was going to play it at some point, I can't not play a Mass Effect game, but I was going to wait 6 or 8 months for it.

Then my wife bought me the game as a present, and that plan went by the wayside. I might as well play it if I have it. And guess what, motherfuckers?

I really, really liked it.

I honestly think I enjoyed it more than ME1. It's no ME2 or ME3, but overall, it's my third favorite Mass Effect. Let's dive in to why I think this is so.

I guess we can start with the story. It's pretty boilerplate. Even in another galaxy, you can't go a lightyear without running into ancient technology left by a super advanced civilization. There's an ugly bad guy with a fleet of things to kill, he barely ever shows up even as he threatens to murder everything everywhere, and you have to chase him and his minions and try to piece together his ultimate plan. This is basically ME1's plot re-skinned.

I certainly won't say this was a fantastic story or anything, but I will say that it gets the job done. You want to know one of the things I really like about Mass Effect? It's story. A repeat of that may not be impressive, but it is comfortable and engaging enough to give me a reason to continue. Overall, this aspect was not great, but not disappointing.

Next, characters. Characters are why we play Bioware games, right? I've heard people pointing out that if all the characters we got to love over the Trilogy are gone, then what's the motivation to play this new game? Well, okay, I miss them too, but then what's the motivation to play the original game? You don't know anyone before you know them, that's...how linear time works. You have to play new games to become familiar with new characters. So that's what I did.

As a whole, they aren't as compelling as the Trilogy's cast is. But looking back, the squadmates in ME1 are actually a lot less engaging than I remember. It's not until ME2 that you get legitimate conversations and in-depth loyalty missions to get to really know these people. I'd argue that of all 6 squaddies in ME1, only Wrex gets some true character development, and that's if you don't kill him on Virmire. The Andromeda 6 actually get a lot more time and personality than the original cast, with their long-form loyalty missions and far greater interaction among each other. It does a good job at making them feel more rounded and less like Ryder is the very center of their lives.

And finally, some human squadmates that aren't like walking Ambien. The general consensus is that Kaiden and Jacob are total bores, Ashley is a racist, and Miranda is a ***** with crippling daddy issues. Well here's Cora and Liam, some humans who actually rival the rest of the cast with real personalities and humor, with issues that feel more real and relatable, and who don't drone on like Kaiden or whine all the time like Miranda. (To be honest, I don't mind Kaiden and I actually like Miranda, but we all know the boxes they've been put into.)

Peebee is a bit too far on the quirky side (and why is she always making references to 21st century human culture?!), and I didn't get to know Drack or Vetra very well this first time through. But Jaal is terrific, he's different from any previous companion in the series, and as closely tied as he is to the main plot, it always felt important to talk to him and get to know him. I think they did a great job with the new alien race, making them different enough from the other races to make me want to learn about them.

The rest of the cast is expansive and varied as you would expect from a Bioware RPG, and a few of them are even likeable, like the Salarian Pathfinder. The other crew members on the Tempest are reasonably fleshed out, especially Gil the engineer, who has a unique little side story going on a subject that rarely gets covered in video games. And hey, for once a Bioware protagonist who actually has living family! I'm glad that whichever Ryder twin you didn't pick wasn't immediately killed off, and actually has some impact on events.

Next, the gameplay. I really like the combat. It's familiar and recognizable as a Mass Effect combat system, but putting it in open environments and giving you a jet pack for maneuverability does absolute wonders. I quite liked ME3's shooty bits, but this game easily has the best shooting of the franchise. The weapons are extremely varied, and while the encounters do get samey later in the game that's only because the game has so much frickin content. In short, I loved the shooter aspect of this shooter/RPG.

The driving was also fun, for the most part. At first it was extremely annoying having to switch driving modes every few seconds, but I got the hang of it eventually and it became a seamless system for traversing long distances and climbing steep cliffs. And I appreciated that, while the Nomad is certainly a necessary tool for exploring planets, they didn't force you into combat sections with it like in ME1, which consisted entirely of scooting back and forth at long distance to avoid enemy fire while you waited for your cannon to cooldown.

I was also quite impressed with the as-previously-referenced frickin huge amount of content. I never played DA: Inquisition, but I know many people were worried that the apparently endless list of fetch quests and collect-a-thons that game used for side quests would infect Andromeda as well. Well, it didn't. There are a crazy amount of side quests here, and only a fraction of them are the MMO kind. They are varied, they are rich with story, and many of them feel impactful.

The conversation system left something to be desired. I realized before long that it was the same as ME3's system, in that it cut the options in most dialogues from 3 down to 2, which is a mighty shame. On the other hand, it was freeing to not have to worry about Paragon/Renegade points and if I could pass the next speech check. It was simply about roleplaying which Ryder you wanted to be, and it worked just barely well enough in that regard.

Now, I know all the talk about fucked up faces and weird animation glitches put a lot of people off, even me a bit. But I encountered precisely one facial glitch that ruined the tension of a single scene for a few moments. Maybe it was worse before patching, I don't know, but in my experience it was no worse than any other Bioware game. I get that some people can't overlook the glassy stares and oddly disconnected movements, but this is par for the course for Bioware, and either you can live with it or you can't. I can, and the apocalyptic predictions about Andromeda being unplayably glitchy are comically exaggerated.

I will admit the voice acting was below average for a Bioware game, which makes it far better than most games. Scott Ryder is as generally dull as Male Shepard was, and many of the minor characters sounded very inexperienced with saying lines in a sound booth, but all the major characters were fine, and some of them were great.

---

Okay, so, I have more to say, but these are the highlights, and I'm hopeful that the comments will prompt me appropriately. If you want a TL;DR: ME: Andromeda is a good game, I loved it, come at me bro.

Seriously, I just want to say that I really liked this game, and I really want to talk about it. I know I'm going to get some comments on my questionable taste, so bring them on, I can take you all at once!

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Re: Companions

I liked Miranda exactly because she was a total ***** with all sorts of character flaws despite her pretense to perfection (like her overconfidence in her abilities leading directly to screwups if you listened to her, i wish there was options to slap her after those for messing up so badly and even getting other companions killed xD). I don't need all my companions to be virtuous paladins, it's nice to have an unpleasant character companion choice.

The real crime in a companion is being utterly boring and bland, and that's where Jacob and Ash/Kaiden tend to come in short.

Otherwise as someone who still ain't played ME:A and in all likelihood won't for a long time, interesting enough read.
It's nice to see impressions from someone who liked the game but a fair few lines just indicates to me we have greatly differing tastes (having conversation choices being one and clearly ME:A drops the ball in that regard) so I'm happpy to wait until it starts going on sale for super cheap, ideally waiting until the full new trilogy is released so I get word on if it's worth bothering with.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i do agree for the most part, i just finished the trilogy and started andromeda and yeah 1 is missing serious character development.

for me i was disappointed in the game initially, it didnt feel like mass effect and most importantly they werent my shepard and my crew. it took about 20 hours for the game to grow on me but by the end i was really enjoying myself and the new crew.

not to mention i really grew to love my ryder who was quirky and awkward.. hitting on suvi made me loose it. i loved not being limited by paragon or renegade anymore.

its sad for me knowing there will probably never be answers for the questions asked in the game

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I agree that ME:A is a good game. The combat is fun, the story isn't fantastic but it certainly was good enough to see me through to the end. I think the game got a lot of hate due to the buggy nature of it's release. I don't know about consoles, but on PC there was a patch that made all the animations and dialog scenes 100% better, so that isn't even an issue anymore.

Good game that got more hate than it really deserved due to the nature of it's release. That's all.

I'd still buy it if anyone is interested in it. Especially if you get it on sale.

Dec 10, 2012
I'm glad to see some folks who also enjoyed the game. It's seems all I've heard since it was announced is negativity, so now I don't feel like maybe I'm crazy for liking it. It even took me several hours to decide that I did like it, but from there it grew on me very quickly.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
TheVampwizimp said:
I'm glad to see some folks who also enjoyed the game. It's seems all I've heard since it was announced is negativity, so now I don't feel like maybe I'm crazy for liking it. It even took me several hours to decide that I did like it, but from there it grew on me very quickly.
i know right.. sitting there not sure if you actually like the game.. weird feeling

i will say that im disappointed that we wont get answers to the big questions, at this point im not even sure we will get new story dlc

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I could've accepted a lot from this game if I liked the characters. But they were just boring reskins of the previous trilogy's characters. That's basically the entire game in a nutshell; a boring reskin. And besides that the writing was ghastly.

This game got the right amount of scorn. Notice how I said 'game'.

Dec 10, 2012
MC1980 said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Nobody's crazy for liking anything. (Except maybe some sick shit.)

But acting like you liking something translates to it being of quality and everyone complaining were wrong to do so is obnoxious. Which was the content of your original post in the other thread.
My actual issue I mentioned in the other thread is that the game was buried before it was even finished. I can't count how many posts I saw declaring it the death of Bioware (as if we hadn't heard that before) and that it was an unmitigated garbage fire, without even playing the damn game! It was really aggravating. Maybe I came across condescending but I am legitimately annoyed at how we treated this game.

Casual Shinji said:
I could've accepted a lot from this game if I liked the characters. But they were just boring reskins of the previous trilogy's characters. That's basically the entire game in a nutshell; a boring reskin. And besides that the writing was ghastly.

Okay, here we go, something to discuss. I'd like to know what about the writing was ghastly. I'm totally serious, I started this thread to have this discussion, so have at it.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I liked being a biotic murder machine using physics as a blunt tool to throw people around and smash them into things.

Everything between those moments was simply a brief concession for my enemies to steel themselves before my next gleeful romp in the killing fields.

No but for reals, I enjoyed playing the game. Like, the core bit. The combat and movement. If I'm in the minority or have terrible taste according to this community, so be it. (It helps that the most vocally negative are also the people who seem to be negative and cynical about just about everything these days.(Cue 'Well maybe if everything weren't so terrible and devs had standards instead of just chasing a quick buck...'))

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I had fun with the game, but I didn't like how we got zero answers by the end of it. Heck, we were getting even more questions as the end of the game.

We don't know why the Scourge was deployed--or even what it really is or how to fix it.
We don't know why the aliens made the Angaran, what they were trying to do in this cluster, or even what these aliens are.
We don't know who the Benefactor is.
Your mother is still in cryo.
And to top it all off, we get a distress call AFTER we beat the game from the Quarian ark saying to stay away.

This is crap. We can guess on a lot of these things, but that's all. This is not how you tell a story. This is, "Trust us, we have this covered and you just need to buy the rest of the games." It's like The Force Awakens, but at least we know Disney is going to give us the rest of that story.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but for those of you who romanced PeeBee, did anyone else find it really jarring when she suddenly started acting all lovey-dovey? Like, she went straight to schoolgirl mode after you chose her--and only her--and it was just...out of character for her.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
I think an apt post-mortem would be that Mass Effect: Andromeda is a decent to good game that was sunk by the extremely high expectations that were attached to it by its brand name. A lot of rose coloured glasses were worn and people expect that characters which we saw grow through up to three games would be matched by their successors.

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
It's okay, I wouldn't say it's better than okay.

Not nearly as bad as everyone was saying but I also wouldn't say it lives up to the franchise.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
TheVampwizimp said:
MC1980 said:
Nobody's crazy for liking anything. (Except maybe some sick shit.)

But acting like you liking something translates to it being of quality and everyone complaining were wrong to do so is obnoxious. Which was the content of your original post in the other thread.
My actual issue I mentioned in the other thread is that the game was buried before it was even finished. I can't count how many posts I saw declaring it the death of Bioware (as if we hadn't heard that before) and that it was an unmitigated garbage fire, without even playing the damn game! It was really aggravating. Maybe I came across condescending but I am legitimately annoyed at how we treated this game.

Not only that but hating on it became a meme in and of itself to the point where it often wasn't even about the games quality.

And to be fair a lot of the "criticisms" were exaggerated for comic effect. I mean the animations aren't great but if you tell me that they were worse than ME1 (as quite a few did) then you're either joking or don't understand animation at all.

Dec 10, 2012
undeadsuitor said:
I don't think the new companions are any more or less compelling than the OT ones as a whole, but they have one really really really REALLY big problem

All their interesting character development happened off screen before you meet them

Liam already decided to stop being a cop and become a response rescue member

Vetra already went from a black market smuggler to a legit quartermaster

Cora already went through her training with the Asari

Drak is old and already experienced everything

All of these things would be 100 times more interesting than the minor problems you help them solve

To the point I'm not even sure where their characters could go in future games
Oh, I dunno about that. I mean, Garrus for example had already had some stuff happen to him, being a C-Sec officer who saw some shit and missing a chance at being a Specter, but he managed to have interesting things happen while you actually knew him. Wrex was already hundreds of years old in ME1, but his best days were still ahead of him. A decent writer could make something out of Vetra's ambitions and fears regarding herself and her sister, or Liam's hopeful but impulsive way of doing things that gets him in trouble.

Though I see what you're saying, and obviously since most of their baggage is back in the Milky Way they couldn't just revisit the past like any other characters could. They would have to do more to look forward rather than filling in backstories that no longer matter.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TheVampwizimp said:
Casual Shinji said:

Okay, here we go, something to discuss. I'd like to know what about the writing was ghastly. I'm totally serious, I started this thread to have this discussion, so have at it.
Well, overall the non-commiting tone of the dialoge in contrast to the severity of the plot.

The game starts off with one of the dumbest conversations, where Ryder wakes up from cryo-sleep and the first thing one of the crew members -- who I assume is part of the staff in charge of welcoming all who have been sleeping back to reality -- says is, 'Hey, you're part of the Pathfinder team. Can you find us somewhere warm and tropical?' They say this to someone who has just woken up from a 600 year long cryo-sleep.

Then we have Liam with his wonderful one-liner 'I think I pissed that one off. Probably because I shot him in the face.' And lest we forget the infamous 'My face is tired.' line.

Drack's introduction is another good example of how terrible the writing is. We see him shoot a varen type creature through a plate of glass and then tear somekind of trophy from its corpse. And he also has bones strapped across his armor. He's a badass, get it? Compare this to the first time we see Wrex in Mass Effect 1, where all we need is a soft spoken warning to a guard to show us this guy means business.

And above all else it completely squanders the alluring set-up of traveling to another galaxy on just doing the same fucking thing, except way worse.

oRevanchisto

Mar 23, 2012
Five years and they managed to make a game less creative, less ambitious and worse in almost every regard, besides combat, than Mass Effect 1. That's all that needs to be said.

RobertEHouse

Former Mad Man
Mar 29, 2012
This was a throw away game, just made to make a quick buck for EA. All I can say is EA never really made a true attempt to make a Mass Effect game. Instead they made something they thought would pass off as "good enough", and hoped the public would buy it like crazy. It did not work, it seems because people are actually smarter then they thought , and noticed the problems.

EA's new game coming out in 2019 better be something good because another flop like this will really hurt them.

Dec 10, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
TheVampwizimp said:
Casual Shinji said:

Well, overall the non-commiting tone of the dialoge in contrast to the severity of the plot.

The game starts off with one of the dumbest conversations, where Ryder wakes up from cryo-sleep and the first thing one of the crew members -- who I assume is part of the staff in charge of welcoming all who have been sleeping back to reality -- says is, 'Hey, you're part of the Pathfinder team. Can you find us somewhere warm and tropical?' They say this to someone who has just woken up from a 600 year long cryo-sleep.

Then we have Liam with his wonderful one-liner 'I think I pissed that one off. Probably because I shot him in the face.' And lest we forget the infamous 'My face is tired.' line.

Drack's introduction is another good example of how terrible the writing is. We see him shoot a varen type creature through a plate of glass and then tear somekind of trophy from its corpse. And he also has bones strapped across his armor. He's a badass, get it? Compare this to the first time we see Wrex in Mass Effect 1, where all we need is a soft spoken warning to a guard to show us this guy means business.

And above all else it completely squanders the alluring set-up of traveling to another galaxy on just doing the same fucking thing, except way worse.
I'd kinda like to know what you think of the original trilogy as far as the writing goes. If these are the best examples of terrible writing, writing so bad that the authors should be ashamed of what they made, I'm not seeing it. Any game with this many thousands of lines of dialogue is gonna have clunkers. Mass Effect did as well.

Liam's lines may not make him seem as flavorful and amusing as, say, Garrus, but it's hardly character assassination. He's a dorky kid, basically. You don't have to like him for that, but he seemed relatively consistent in his characterization, and saying dumb things like 'I think I pissed that one off. Probably because I shot him in the face' is toward that end.

Drack's introduction was awkward and eye-rolling, I agree there. But that's one moment in a series of rather more interesting interactions. Whereas Wrex was an atypical krogan by being thoughtful, clever, and not always interested in violence, Drack is atypical in that he's grandfatherly, good-humored, and likes cooking. I won't argue he's as good a character as Wrex, but his first appearance being a dud does not kill the character.

And really, the writing being less subtle and effective than that of Mass Effect is hardly a damning statement. Very few games are as well-written as the ME trilogy, and if this one cannot escape being compared to its predecessors, then we can at least try not to write it off completely for being less than the best.

Overall they did a good enough job of making me fond of most of the main cast; honestly, at about the same percentage as the previous games, just maybe without the great success of folks like Wrex, Tali, and Garrus. Though I did like Jaal quite a lot.