Me, Myself and I - A thread for we few fans of ALIENS: Colonial Marines

Rowan Tritton

Aug 29, 2011
I wanted to start this thread because there's way too much negativity being leveled at this game, much of it from people who haven't even played it, although that's pretty much business as usual.

To begin with I'm a fanboy of the expanded AvP franchise and have been since I was seven and saw ALIEN 3 for the first time back in 1993, of course it took a while for the younger me to recover from the horror of that film before falling in love with it's far more approachable predecessor.

I've played just about every Aliens game made, most through emulators, I generally rank AvP2+Primal Hunt as the best game despite its aging graphics, and unlike many others I hated Rebellion's AvP 1999 with a passion.

But now to the point of this thread, I personally enjoyed and continue to enjoy AL()ENS Colonial Marines. Sure it's not the best game in the series, but it's hardly worth the hatred being thrown at it. In my opinion the attention to detail with the sound, weapon, creature and environment design perfectly replicate the film it claims to be the continuation of.

In my playthrough of the campaign I took my time and clocked it in at around 10 hours, twice the game's reported length, but maybe that's because I wasn't just rushing through it so I could write a review. The stealth section of the game in particular, which Jim Sterling was far from impressed with, had some of the most tense moments for me. I was slowly checking over every inch, mainly to avoid any scripted jump scares (total: 0), but instead my pace resulted in a few instances of genuine fear as one of the crippled blind aliens managed to catch up with me.

I was also grateful to finally drive a powerloader around, sure the scenes with it were limited, but it was still something no previous FPS in the series has delivered on (ignoring AvP2's ALICE suit). It was also great to have reusable sentry guns and a welding tool which actually sealed doors, and even if which doors it can seal is completely subjective it's still more than AvP2 had where it did little more than burn through a handful of pad locks or bolts.

The animations aren't up to modern AAA standard, although they're better than all predecessors excluding AvP (2010), but that's great because it makes dealing with Aussie internet speeds easier during co-op and means more of my casual gamer friends can play it on their older computers, just like with Source Engine games.

The ability to modify and tailor, your armor (including appearance) and weapons was also a great new introduction, with options like swapping the Pulse Rifle's grenade launcher with a flamethrower, which will hopefully make multiplayer strategies more varied and interesting.

Also those willing to shell out the extra wages on the Collector's Edition were in for a real treat, with the impressive 8" tall, highly detailed, but so-so painted "Marine in powerloader fighting a warrior alien" model; then there was the massive box that was big enough to fit my head in, with the nice alien swarm protective collar; and to add to that was the sealed envelope stuffed with all kinds of fan-love documents, patches and other goodies. In my opinion, even without the game, the contents of the Collector's Edition were worth the higher price-tag alone.

I'm sure there's more I could comment on which is clearly in the game's favor, but I think that's enough for now to suggest that people should still give this game a chance.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Edit 1 - Thread Name Altered
Edit 2 - A few grammar errors fixed

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I also have been quite enjoying the game, admittedly I haven't touched the single player yet due to having plans to play with a few friends of mine yet not having managed to find an agreeable time for all of us.

It DOES have a few problems (Mainly animations and Alien wall climbing being very finicky and a bit buggy in MP) but in general it's pretty good and I think it could be patched up to fix those issues.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I would appreciate if you write your thread names correctly otherwise my thread filter doesn't work properly, thank you.

OT: Hey if you like it then yay for you, just remember that supporting full price products of this low quality means devs will not be forced to step it up but rather allowed to continue doing poor products.

Rowan Tritton

Aug 29, 2011
Mr.K. said:
OT: Hey if you like it then yay for you, just remember that supporting full price products of this low quality means devs will not be forced to step it up but rather allowed to continue doing poor products.
In your honest opinion what about the game was low quality?

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh, don't worry. I fully intend to buy A:CM.

When it hits about $10.

Which, given its brutal reception, will probably take all of about two months.

Nothing you've said even comes close to convincing me to pay $60+ of my hard-earned dollars on this game.

Rowan Tritton

Aug 29, 2011
Zhukov said:
Nothing you've said even comes close to convincing me to pay $60+ of my hard-earned dollars on this game.
What are the main reasons you're not buying this game? Especially when you admitted that you will buy it when it hits a 6th of its current price.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but there's a ton of A:CM and Gearbox related threads popping up all at once, and they're all largely filled with "new" members (many from dormant accounts). Add the ridiculous Tina Tiny controversy from the other week, and I'm starting to think there's professional trolling and anti-trolling going on.

Rowan Tritton

Aug 29, 2011
WoW Killer said:
Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but there's a ton of A:CM and Gearbox related threads popping up all at once, and they're all largely filled with "new" members (many from dormant accounts). Add the ridiculous Tina Tiny controversy from the other week, and I'm starting to think there's professional trolling and anti-trolling going on.
I'm not really much of a forum guy generally, the only reason I have an account is to collect Zero Punctuation badges, lame I know, but hey I'm a fan of Yahtzee. Also what was Tina Tiny?!?

I honestly enjoyed the game and I posted this thread because I wanted to know how many others own it and like it.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr

Edit 1 - Okay the best Google could do is Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2, but that still doesn't make sense as a reference to the forums... also I haven't play Borderlands 2 yet, heck I still haven't finished all the addons for the first one (although I finished the original story).

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
I didn't find it to be such a bad game. Not a great game and only marginally holding onto its' good-rating, but still good enough that I don't feel entirely ripped off. The single player is kind of so-so, but it does show that whoever designed the levels have plenty of attention to detail and have really studied the movie. Most importantly the controls are smooth and responsive (on pc at least) and the gunplay is satisfying enough.

The multiplayer so far seems to be pretty good, at least the escape and survival mode elicit that feeling of panic as things start to go wrong that made the ambush scene in Aliens so iconic. Maybe that will change once people start picking up on the cheese-combos, but for now the MP might give the game some longevity for me.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I am an uber-massive fan of the series (except Resurrection. Fuck that movie!) and I was also surprised at the level of hatred being thrown at the game. Is it the best thing ever? No, not really. But I've played supposedly "better" games that didn't give me the same level of fun this one is handing out, and in the end, how much fun I get out of the game is all that matters. And in that regard, Colonial Marines isn't letting me down.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
People nitpicked about things in this game that are present/missing in most other games that score 8's year round. I think it's low reception is mostly due to people feeling betrayed by the better looking demo, which I only watched on Jim Sterling's show this week kinda makes sense but it's weird to judge the game(the game not the marketing department.) on that alone.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well, I liked it.

I can't quite explain fully why, to me it's just a fairly standard shooter with some admittedly poor visuals (though the art design is good, the actual graphics are pretty damn bad for a modern game). I plain haven't got some of the supposedly crippling issues.

Plus the multiplayer is pretty damn fun.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I enjoyed it too. But now that i got to browsing some of the hate threads, im starting to understand i was kinda lucky in that:
-I did not see the infamous demo which was apparently technically better
-Not have the technical problems some mention, if anything its the opposite. I got a crappy pc and ACM runs great on it.
-Did not give much of a damn regarding the controversial cannon breaking moment nor that story was mediocre (for me its just an excuse to tie the gunfights together, found the cameo pointless but not game breaking).
-Bad graphics? Where? Im the kinda guy who has a crap pc and usually runs most game on mediocre settings. For me "ps2 era graphics" is not an insult, in fact its my comfort zone. So yeh, until i started being told about ACMs horrible graphics i didnt even know i was supposed to think they were "disastrous" xD

Basically i bought if for the coop and multi, and i got my moneys worth in that front despite some niggles and hadn't followed the hype for this game so weren't aware of any promises or anything, so admittedly i did not have particular expectations to be broken. If it was playable, runs on my pc decently, and can play with friends, that was my main criteria ^^ Has problems in my eyes, but "worst game ever"? Please, that is just ridiculous, the game is not technically broken.

Oh and the stealth section with exploding aliens.. Fuck off, i liked that sequence :p

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
there is no way a game like this can be defended.am an aliens fan and i wont support the maker for making a game like this

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
FargoDog said:
Your post pretty much reads like 'Sure, it's nowhere near as good as it should be and doesn't reach anywhere near the standards it needs to in today's saturated shooter market, but I might lose my job if the game doesn't sell.'
It actually looks a little bit like someone from Gearbox made an account to try and sell this game.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
CoffeeJack said:
FargoDog said:
Your post pretty much reads like 'Sure, it's nowhere near as good as it should be and doesn't reach anywhere near the standards it needs to in today's saturated shooter market, but I might lose my job if the game doesn't sell.'
It actually looks a little bit like someone from Gearbox made an account to try and sell this game.
haha if only had they put in half as much effort in actually making the game better

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I bought the game and I played it single player by myself for the first mission. It was okay, but I was really disappointed. I couldn't place my finger on why though. Something about how the game looked. Then I watched "What the Hell Happened to Aliens: Colonial Marines?!" on Youtube and it clicked. Go watch that.

However, for the second mission I switched over the campaign co-op. I joined a group that played the first mission on Ultimate Badass and that, THAT felt like the Aliens game I was looking for. Panic as the motion tracker picks up, unloading massive amounts of ammo because they just keep coming, frantically trying to hold off the swarm while someone hacks a door. That was fun. Best part: first level when O'Neal's hacking those two doors to the hanger control room. One of our team went down on the walkway. The remaining three made it to first door as O'Neal started to hack. One went back to try to save the down man and got torn to shreds. Just me at the other guy now. O'Neal hacks the first door just as the other guy goes down. I try to revive him, but five of those things are coming for me. I back into the room just as one of them grabs me and rips my face off with its second month. Classic Aliens moment right there and I had a blast with it.

Sadly, the majority of people I seem to play with prefer Recruit and just rushing through the levels. That kills the game completely. I really only bought this game to kill time until my friend picks up Dead Space 3. I want to do that in co op and I don't want to spoil myself, so I'm just waiting for him. So for me, this game is doing exactly what I wanted it to do: kill time and have a bit of fun. A pity that it could have been so, so, SOOOOOOOO much better.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
I feel like it's my duty to post this article, just in case anyone has second thoughts about skipping this game after reading this post: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/ Rather than a traditional review, it's more, "Look, I know you've prolly read the reviews by now. So here's a list of all the horrible things I ran into."

Not that you can't spend your money however you like, but... buyer beware.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I don't like or play a lot of shooters in the first place, but having watched a livestream of this game for about an hour, I can honestly say it was one of the most pathetic and vacuous gaming experiences I've bore witness to in quite some time. The glitches were by FAR the most entertaining aspect of this game.