Me, Myself and I - A thread for we few fans of ALIENS: Colonial Marines

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Chairman Miaow said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Because they're fans of Aliens and don't like having a sub-par product - especially not one that has been as hyped as this one - released as a blemish on the franchise. But if they haven't played it, how can they judge? I hadn't played it and thought it would be awful. I played it, and found myself really enjoying it.
Well, they're being responsible consumers. They see and hear that it's (by their standards) awful, and they make sure everyone else knows not to buy it. And I've never accepted "haven't played a game" as a shield against judging a game - if the quality they've presented with me thus far to get me to play the game hasn't worked, then I'll judge the game based on that instead. Either way, the game has taken a major misstep.

And it's hardly a convincing argument anyway, when a lot of the people who like the game admit they haven't touched single-player yet. Oh? Don't judge a game until you play it, huh? Alright. Well when you've finished the game, then come back and say that, hmm?
!
I have. I enjoyed it a great deal. I see and hear everywhere that Will.I.Am does great music, should I convince everybody to buy his records? Fine if you make the decision to not buy the game, but stop driving people away, let them make the decision themselves, and stop telling people a game they like is objectively the biggest disaster since Chernobyl.
Please stop exaggerating and speak using actual terms.

If you think Will.I.Am does great music, then yes, telling your friends and strangers you like his records and they might enjoy them too is perfectly reasonable. In the same way if you think your friends won't like Justin Bieber, you tell them they probably won't. There's no true vitriol there, is there? And besides. If every review of Will.I.Am's music says it's the best thing since sliced bread and you agree (and man, you really love sliced bread!) then why not spread the word? Entertainment is entertainment and we all crave more, right? And we all need advice on what to spend our money on next, yeah? Hell, even Colonial Marines. You had to have found out about that at some point. You didn't just walk into the store and say "I will have whatever I dunno Aliens I guess," and even if you did you saw the packaging and were influenced by that.

Now, in proper circumstances, such things are to create an environment where someone can form enough of an opinion to then make their own choice regarding whether or not they should, say, listen to Will.I.Am's records, or not buy Justin Bieber's records. Nothing is forced - it's called advice, "suggestions" - no one's poking anyone with cattle prods to the cashier.

And no-one is saying it is "objectively" the "biggest disaster since Chernobyl". They might be saying it is the biggest disappointment since Duke Nukem Forever, though. I haven't played the game, I can't say it's a trainwreck or not, but from what I hear its quality is at least under what was promised and what was expected, and that has caused people anger and distrust and disappointment. It could be a disaster, but it's definitely a disappointing release.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Because they're fans of Aliens and don't like having a sub-par product - especially not one that has been as hyped as this one - released as a blemish on the franchise. But if they haven't played it, how can they judge? I hadn't played it and thought it would be awful. I played it, and found myself really enjoying it.
Well, they're being responsible consumers. They see and hear that it's (by their standards) awful, and they make sure everyone else knows not to buy it. And I've never accepted "haven't played a game" as a shield against judging a game - if the quality they've presented with me thus far to get me to play the game hasn't worked, then I'll judge the game based on that instead. Either way, the game has taken a major misstep.

And it's hardly a convincing argument anyway, when a lot of the people who like the game admit they haven't touched single-player yet. Oh? Don't judge a game until you play it, huh? Alright. Well when you've finished the game, then come back and say that, hmm?
!
I have. I enjoyed it a great deal. I see and hear everywhere that Will.I.Am does great music, should I convince everybody to buy his records? Fine if you make the decision to not buy the game, but stop driving people away, let them make the decision themselves, and stop telling people a game they like is objectively the biggest disaster since Chernobyl.
Please stop exaggerating and speak using actual terms.

If you think Will.I.Am does great music, then yes, telling your friends and strangers you like his records and they might enjoy them too is perfectly reasonable. In the same way if you think your friends won't like Justin Bieber, you tell them they probably won't. There's no true vitriol there, is there? And besides. If every review of Will.I.Am's music says it's the best thing since sliced bread and you agree (and man, you really love sliced bread!) then why not spread the word? Entertainment is entertainment and we all crave more, right? And we all need advice on what to spend our money on next, yeah? Hell, even Colonial Marines. You had to have found out about that at some point. You didn't just walk into the store and say "I will have whatever I dunno Aliens I guess," and even if you did you saw the packaging and were influenced by that.

Now, in proper circumstances, such things are to create an environment where someone can form enough of an opinion to then make their own choice regarding whether or not they should, say, listen to Will.I.Am's records, or not buy Justin Bieber's records. Nothing is forced - it's called advice, "suggestions" - no one's poking anyone with cattle prods to the cashier.

And no-one is saying it is "objectively" the "biggest disaster since Chernobyl". They might be saying it is the biggest disappointment since Duke Nukem Forever, though. I haven't played the game, I can't say it's a trainwreck or not, but from what I hear its quality is at least under what was promised and what was expected, and that has caused people anger and distrust and disappointment. It could be a disaster, but it's definitely a disappointing release.
You aren't getting it, and I am no good at explaining it in text. Either way, please go to one of the other threads made to complain about Aliens. That is not what this one is for, I'm done talking to you.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Alternative said:
Rowan/LSWSjr
The game play isn't generic, its just like any other shooter on the market.
[/quote]

LOL.

... I am the only one that sees a BIG contradiction here?

Speaking as someone who is not interested in the alien series at all (As in, both movies and the game as well), this just made me LOL.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
So you make a thread, get mad when people disagree with you, and get madder when people (rightfully) call you out on your illogical arguments.

This thread is going nowhere good.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
aguspal said:
Alternative said:
Rowan/LSWSjr
The game play isn't generic, its just like any other shooter on the market.
LOL.

... I am the only one that sees a BIG contradiction here?

Speaking as someone who is not interested in the alien series at all (As in, both movies and the game as well), this just made me LOL.
Dang, you shouldn't shot for the "ace attorney; OBJECTION" opportunity.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I find it hilarious how people find it okay to walk into a thread FOR THE FANS and slander it, only to become offended the second someone fights back. FOR THE FANS doesn't mean walk in and slander, it means if you like it come in here and discuss. I found enjoyment, I saw the purported bait and switch demo and didn't get pissed when the game was slightly different. Now before I pull out the "T-WORD" I'm going to flat out say troll, because a bunch of people in here are trolling, instead of being a discussion this turned into "look someone likes a game lets heap as much crap on him as possible and then when he tries to defend his opinions and the thread he created call a mod in."

If you haven't played the game then do us a favour and leave because honestly I've had enough of the skite people are tossing on something they haven't taken the time to play. AI and gameplay are average for games these days and yet instead of attacking the latest cod fans you attack us for being slightly different. Everyone has a right to not buy, or to buy, but attacking a product when you haven't even touched it is called slander. Show us your proof, beyond "oh no alien 3 may be slightly changed lets attack the thing that slightly changed a minor detail because as we all know that was the greatest of all the alien films" and bland space marines. Show me how gears of war, call of duty, battlefield 3, medal of honour, resistance, etc. are so such special snowflakes compared to this then maybe I won't ask you to leave because that would mean you actually made an attempt at discussion.

Garyn Dakari

Nov 12, 2011
While I haven't played the game yet(And most likely won't for at least a couple years), it looks to me like most of the criticism has been because the trailers and demo for the game looked really fantastic, but the finished product was simply nowhere near that level of quality. People(Myself included) were expecting/hoping for a great Aliens game, and the game itself just didn't live up to the hype or people's expectations.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Yeash, I haven't seen such passive aggressive posts since Lilithslave left.

OP, your tone and formal writing style may suit a business email, but on the internet it makes you look like a sad sockpuppet.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Again, I can't help but notice that a lot of the criticism comes from people who haven't actually played the game, while the people defending the game have done so.

Obviously I'm not saying you have to play the game to comment on it, but when we're discussing quality, it helps a great deal. For example, if I hadn't played it, I might have found it to be a bug-ridden mess simply from word of mouth. Having played it, however, I found it to be a stable game with no technical issues. One issue among others.

Ed130 said:
Yeash, I haven't seen such passive aggressive posts since Lilithslave left.
Now you got me all misty-eyed!