Medal of Honor "Won't Necessarily Push the Genre Forward"

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Nothing new there.

At least there honest

So many of the best selling games just stick to the same formula, no one takes risks incase they lose money.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
reg42 said:
"Our game is generic. BUY NOW!!"

Not a great selling point.
Is "Oh look at our game. We claim it is so revolutionary but when you put in the disc you will find it is more of the same" better?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
yersimapestis said:
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:

Is "Oh look at our game. We claim it is so revolutionary but when you put in the disc you will find it is more of the same" better?
usually at least one thing is slightly better, this is gonna be a bastard child of mw2 and the other MoHs
I fully expect they have worked on improving on the core mechanics. Doesn't make it revolutionary or innovative though.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:

How bout they actually try make a game which may further the genre, instead of just saying "screw it, let's just do what they did" *points to an Infinity Ward poster*

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Gotta actually play the game before any judgments can be made, but I say good for them. Don't get me wrong, I love innovation, and it is desperately needed in the medium. Very, very few things will make me more likely to buy a game then seeing mechanics that try to explore new ground. However, making a quality product that refines and more thoroughly explores an existing concept is also completely legitimate. In some ways, the nitty gritty, detail work of refining an existing game system is harder then coming up with a new, innovative idea altogether. Everyone may clamor about how game developers are lazy, how there is no creativity left, and developers just put a new coat of paint on an existing game and call it done, but in the past few months, what are some of the highest rated, most enjoyable, critically acclaimed games? Modern Warfare 2? Bad Company 2? Assassins Creed 2? Mass Effect 2? All sequels. It might be time to stop crying about sequalitis, and admit that while Innovation is the lifeblood of the medium that keeps pushing us forward into new territory, Iteration is what achieves the pinnacle of gaming experiences.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
reg42 said:
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:

How bout they actually try make a game which may further the genre, instead of just saying "screw it, let's just do what they did" *points to an Infinity Ward poster*
How? What would push the FPS genre further? Remember it must also be practical by today's technology as well.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
To be frankly honest I'm not expecting anything from the MoH franchise anymore. As long as it plays good at all, that'd be fantastic enough.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:

How? What would push the FPS genre further? Remember it must also be practical by today's technology as well.
Well, I dunno. I'm no game dev.
Maybe they could be small things, like with controls or something. Just anything[i/] other than rolling on your back and copying MW2.

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
I don't really know what to think about this EA statement... seems a little stupid on their part. I hate when PM over hypes a game as much as everyone else, but people still buy his games. EA had better be able to come up with something more than "its gonna be really polished and shiny" if they want to sell this game over the huge competition.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
reg42 said:
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:

Well, I dunno. I'm no game dev.
Maybe they could be small things, like with controls or something. Just anything[i/] other than rolling on your back and copying MW2.

Other than control tweaks and graphics there isn't a whole lot they can do with it. They are limited to WW2. I fully expect a game like Singularity on the other hand to revolutionize the genre. The concept allows for more freedom than a realistic WW2 shooter.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
The latest MoH game I played, Airborne I think it was, had one good feature, the ironsights/leaning system, rather than moving if the direction buttons were pressed whilst looking down the ironsight, the character would lean in that direction, I liked that, reminded me of the leaning system in Rainbow Six 3.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
squid5580 said:
reg42 said:
Other than control tweaks and graphics there isn't a whole lot they can do with it. They are limited to WW2. I fully expect a game like Singularity on the other hand to revolutionize the genre. The concept allows for more freedom than a realistic WW2 shooter.
It's a modern warfare game though.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
I'm fine if all they want to do is deliver a fun, finished product. Innovation is nice, but it's not as necessary in the FPS genre. I still play Counterstrike for Christ's sake. I just wish single-player campaigns could be a little (a lot actually) longer with a better, more-plausible story.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
Journeythroughhell said:
Well, at least they're being honest.
I can respect that.
I fully agree.

Also if they do manage to release a brilliant first-person shooter then all the power to them, sometimes we don't need innovation just amelioration.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
Coporate code for "this game will be derivative and generic and we know it".

Bah, I wish this series would stay in cryogenics.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
u put BFBC2 destructibility into the corridor shooting style of MW2, u mite have something ;) just a thought :D

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
There being honest. Which is nice, although if there not pushing the gameing gerne forward, they had better be makeing a dammed good FPS.