Meet X-Men: Apocalypse's Younger Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Meet X-Men: Apocalypse's Younger Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey

Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) will be portraying the younger version of Jean Grey in X-Men: Apocalypse.

X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer has just announced via Twitter [https://twitter.com/BryanSinger/status/558437540831567872] who will be portraying the younger versions of iconic X-men Cyclops, Storm, and Jean Grey in the upcoming flick. Alexandra Shipp will play Storm, Tye Sheridan will star as Cyclops, and, perhaps most notably, Sophie Turner, Game of Throne's Sansa Stark, will portray young Jean Grey.

While Turner is obviously the most well-known, many may recall 18-year-old Sheridan from his roles in the 2012 coming-of-age drama Mud and Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. 24-year-old Shipp is a relative newcomer to the big screen, and is perhaps best known as KT Rush in the Nickelodeon mystery show House of Anubis.

X-Men: Apocalypse is the sequel to last year's Days of Future Past, which involved a lot of freaky time-travel to retcon a lot of the more... questionable decisions of X-Men 3, including the deaths of Jean Grey and Cyclops. We don't know too much about Apocalypse, but we do know it will be set during the 1980's, around 10 years after the events of Days of Future Past.

Turner, Malick and Shipp will be taking over from Halle Berry, Famke Janssen and James Marsden, though at this point it is unclear what (if any) role the original actors will play in the new movie.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/23/x-men-apocalypse-casts-young-storm-jean-grey-and-cyclops]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
So I guess no Wolverine in this movie, huh? Would be a bit weird to have 50-year old Hugh Jackman coming on to Sansa Stark.

What about Xavier, is that gonna be Stewart or McAvoy?

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
So I guess no Wolverine in this movie, huh? Would be a bit weird to have 50-year old Hugh Jackman coming on to Sansa Stark.

Teenage Jean Grey could totally have a teen girl crush on Wolverine. If he reciprocates, THAT would be creepy. :p

I suspect McAvoy will be the go-to Xavier from here on out.

Has Sophie Turner done anything where she speaks 'Murrican? I'd be curious to see/hear it.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
That's great news for Sophie, I always like seeing actors being able to play outside their potentially inevitable typecast role.

And damn she looks the part very well.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I would be happy with no Wolverine in this movie. Its amazing when you have the xmen license which has hundreds of characters to chose from. They just stick Wolverine at the front. I do wonder if they will ever branch out and do an Uncanny XMen or Generation X movies as spinoffs?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I wish they made a feature film about their more interesting characters like Sabretooth and Dr Essex instead of those goody 2 shoes all the time. They need to shake things up a bit b/c all those Marvel movies blend into one another. I understand that making every movie family friendly rakes in the largest amount of cash, but the most interesting stories are published in the Marvel Now line-up. Many of which would make for excellent movies. (like X II Origins for example).

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So I guess no Wolverine in this movie
LOL, I am almost certain they will find a way to shoe horn old claws in to the story. After all isn't that the whole point of the Xmen movies, sorry the continuing adventures of Wolverine and his mutant buddies?

Other than that the Xmen movies have taken a steady slow decline in to the region of meh! save Old School which was different enough raise a whole ummmm!

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Casual Shinji said:

It's already been announced that neither Patrick Stewart or Ian McKellen will be in Apocalypse.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
I hope Sophie Turner does well in this. I think all of the young actors in Game of Thrones have serious potential, but you never really know until they start popping up in other works.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

It's going to be McAvoy. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30871156] I'm guessing this means we won't see most of the original cast bar Hugh Jackman (Was there any doubt?). Hopefully we'll see them in the one after- Not that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender aren't really damn awesome, but they're not the definitive movie Professor/Magneto to me.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Casual Shinji said:

It's going to be McAvoy. [http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30871156] I'm guessing this means we won't see most of the original cast bar Hugh Jackman (Was there any doubt?). Hopefully we'll see them in the one after- Not that James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender aren't really damn awesome, but they're not the definitive movie Professor/Magneto to me.
Well, Fassbender takes up the mantel quite flawlessly, I think. McAvoy slightly less, but then it's pretty much impossible for anyone to compete with the awesome quiet, cool, collected nature of Patrick Stewart.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Casual Shinji said:

Well, Fassbender takes up the mantel quite flawlessly, I think. McAvoy slightly less, but then it's pretty much impossible for anyone to compete with the awesome quiet, cool, collected nature of Patrick Stewart.
Eh, I think McAvoy is good enough, he works with what he has. They've been trying so hard to show Prof X's character growth into the sagely old Professor we know that they started really far off the mark, making First Class's Professor basically the polar opposite. The plus side I guess, is that it'll only get better.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Eh, I think McAvoy is good enough, he works with what he has. They've been trying so hard to show Prof X's character growth into the sagely old Professor we know that they started really far off the mark, making First Class's Professor basically the polar opposite. The plus side I guess, is that it'll only get better.
Oh definately, McAvoy is great, I just think he has slightly bigger shoes to fill acting wise.

The only casting decision I really take issue with is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, as well as the writers' decision to make her the 'younger sister/confused protegé' character.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
The bigger question is will Cyclops be less of a jerk in this?Yes, I know; a movie, not a comic, but my question still stands. (I...didn't really like Cyclops that much when I got a little older. I later learned he was...kind of an A-hole in the then recent comics. Wolvy and Gambit on the other hand? I liked. Wonder if Channing Tatum can do a good Cajun accent?)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
SonOfVoorhees said:
I would be happy with no Wolverine in this movie. Its amazing when you have the xmen license which has hundreds of characters to chose from. They just stick Wolverine at the front. I do wonder if they will ever branch out and do an Uncanny XMen or Generation X movies as spinoffs?
Ohh god, please don't...

But this is hardly a point of the movies alone, right? I like Wolverine as a character, but everywhere he is in (comics, movies, cartoons, etc), so much seems to revolve around him that they should be renamed The W-Men. I mean, there are at least 2 animated adaptations where Wolverine was the head of the school in the absence of the professor...

I am sure they will find a way to make him appear, even if it means being careful that he doesn't interact with the young characters. Or even then, Brian Singer and the X-Men movies, even at their best, are known for creating plot holes big enough to drive a space shuttle through them... I am sure a small temporal paradox is not going to stop him.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I don't know this Alexandra Shipp girl, but the one thing that reeeeeeally grated with me about Storm's character as portrayed by Halle Berry was the fact that she didn't even have a tinge of a foreign accent. She's not from the US, she's from Kenya, I believe. That was always one of her defining characterisitcs: in her home village she was not ostricized, she was worshipped as a goddess, but she always felt very burdened by that role, which made her a very controlled person. That NEVER comes accross in the X-men movies, she's just a regular citizen of the United States with mutant powers.

Also,
ArcaneGamer said:
The bigger question is will Cyclops be less of a jerk in this?Yes, I know; a movie, not a comic, but my question still stands. (I...didn't really like Cyclops that much when I got a little older. I later learned he was...kind of an A-hole in the then recent comics. Wolvy and Gambit on the other hand? I liked. Wonder if Channing Tatum can do a good Cajun accent?)
I'm still firmly against Channing Tatum. He's not shown in any of his roles an acting persona to portray Gambit. He'd be quite older than cyclops, jean and storm, iceman, rouge, etc... when he's supposed to be about the same age as his team mates. He'd be as old as Professor X himself. His powers don't extend to prolonged youth or regeneration like Mystique or Wolverine, so he'd be out of comission by the time the core X-team is grown up. Also, in my opinion, he doesn't even have the same body type. The only thing they have in common is being from somewhere in the greater region defined as "the South".

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Great for Sophie Turner [even though I'm already wincing at whether she can affect a decent American accent], and That Kid From The Tree Of Life Tye Sheridan, but for me the Fox X-Men franchise corporate experiment has been one long, continuous train wreck, viewed in meticulous slo-mo over the many, many years. They've tangled themselves up in junked or wasted arcs, shitty versions of characters, weird casting, and continuity that reveals they never had any real vision to any part of the project, and are just trying to ride the ongoing crash till it all grinds to an ugly halt. Or explodes. Although there's been a lot of explosions along the way.

...and like the franchise, this metaphor has gone rogue (arf.. ).

I'll watch Apocalypse eventually, but Fox won't get a single penny out of me where box office is concerned, and I still hope the films fail.

Glen Compton

May 31, 2014
shiajun said:
I don't know this Alexandra Shipp girl, but the one thing that reeeeeeally grated with me about Storm's character as portrayed by Halle Berry was the fact that she didn't even have a tinge of a foreign accent. She's not from the US, she's from Kenya, I believe. That was always one of her defining characterisitcs: in her home village she was not ostricized, she was worshipped as a goddess, but she always felt very burdened by that role, which made her a very controlled person. That NEVER comes accross in the X-men movies, she's just a regular citizen of the United States with mutant powers.
Go reread Uncanny x-men #102. Storm is HALF kenyan, born in new york and raised in harlem before they moved back to her mother's home country which was kenya. Her father was an american journalist.
Nothing about an american actress would be completely out of character for her.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Casual Shinji said:

I think with the exception of Hugh Jackman we have probably seen the last of the original cast, that scene at the end of Days of Future Past with them all crammed into five minutes felt a lot like a "Last Goodbye" moment. It does make me sad in a way as I think many of the original actors, particularly Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen gave stand-out performances in their respective roles - even if they were held back by some questionable writing at times.

Slightly off topic I am getting kinda weary of the constant recasting of the X-men characters. I can totally get on board with a young cast and an older cast, but if they wanted to do young Cyclops and Jean Grey maybe they should have given that some thought before already introducing us to young versions of these characters in Origins and The Last Stand respectively. It just seems sloppy and really breaks the immersion for me.

Say what you want about that Marvel Cinematic Universe but at least they can maintain a continuity without any of this bullshit.