Memorable game OST's and background music?

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
What is your favorite or beloved music you heard in the game, which you be happy to share? I really adore King's Bounty series music because of it appeasement and atmospheric accordance, like "Under the Shadow of Oak".

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
I've always loved the Golden Sun OST; to me, it's the ESSENTIAL "going on an epic fantasy journey" music
JRPG OST's always brings some nostalgia to people, who played in his childhood on PSP, Nintendo etc.
Golden Sun sounds really brightly and mystically, that suits for an adventureous team. I enjoy the sounds, and there are surely atmospheric for the game that kind)

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
When Warframe released its Fortuna and Orb Vallis expansion, they gave it a cinematic to introduce the city of Fortuna and its people, and it quickly became a fan favorite.

An older favorite of mine is Setting Sail/Coming Home from Bastion, which plays over the credits, and I just love the way it works. It combines two songs, "Build that Wall" - a warsong - and "Mother, I'm Here", which is pretty much a dirge...and they combine so well as an optimistic backdrop to whichever ending you choose, whether you retroactively rebuild the shattered world that you called home, or evacuate what's left with the intent of building a new home. It's beautiful.

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
That Warfarme music from video reminds me some of the scene, where dwarfes were smelting anvils, and the music feels similat. Still, that actually was a point of cinematic to give viewers that feeling.

Aiddon

Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
United States
Anything by Hitoshi Sakimoto

Guilty Gear

Xenogears

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
A few Monster Hunter tracks really stick with me. Basically every battle in Monster Hunter ends up being a life or death duel between the monster and the hunter party, and the music really helps sell how epic that can be.

"Thunderpuppy" here being a personal favorite because Zinogre was the monster which made Monster Hunter really 'click' for me as a game of reading and reacting to the monster.

Last edited:

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
I am, personally, a big fan of the OST from Drakengard

and Lisa the Painful

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Journey has a great soundtrack, particularly Road of Trials. GRIS with Incipt and Windmill, Dishonored with the main theme and menu music etc.

I tend to like particular tracks and there aren't many games that I like the whole OST for. The closest is probably Assassin's Creed II (Brotherhood's is good, but doesn't quite have the nostalgia and original feel as II, for me).

For now though, nothing like watching weapon teams tear shit apart to the sound of Vermintide and Without Re-Mors:

Reactions: Bernzz

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Ahh, thanks for the nostalgia. Love me some Golden Sun.

As for my own, I could wax lyrical all day about game soundtracks, from Metroid (especially the Metroid Prime games), to Zelda, to Doom (classic and new), but right now I'm all about Command & Conquer.
This is due to being hyped for the remaster in June, so I've been listening to the soundtracks of my two childhood C&C games:
Red Alert:

And Tiberian Sun:

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
This is always a classic for me (and, fittingly, the ending theme of the first game I ever completed):

Reactions: Bernzz

Latif

Apr 13, 2020
Country
Arabicastan
I am, personally, a big fan of the OST from Drakengard

Refined taste, my good friend. Though Chapter 1 in the Sky is what hooked me in the Drakengard soundtrack.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Ezy pzy, Persona 5, 4, and 3. Each game has it's own genre for the soundtrack and it's amazing.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Aquaria has one of the best OSTs around, does a great job of giving the feeling of a lonely world.

Also, you have to give it up for the Forest of Hopes and Dreams from Deltarune, the whole sound track is great but this song is a standout among already great songs.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Play the game first for maximum emotional impact)
Mountain Hymn
That’s the Way It Is

Silent Hill -
Tainted Town (motion picture version. The one from the game gets...interesting.)

And for something a little different than the usual Castlevania and Final Fantasy plugs, there’s Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Or how about Eternal Sonata.

Oh, and I can't forget Bloodborne specifically Omen, The Hunter and Cleric Beast. It admittedly tops any of the Souls games, and is probably the best orchestral soundtrack I've heard in a game, and that's going up against the outstanding Killzone 2, which is the first videogame soundtrack to win an Ivor Novello. The opening track's menu music was amazing, and this track pumping while you're blasting through a Helghast stronghold with all the atmosphere this game is drenched in was one of the greatest shooting experiences on console or PC.

Last edited:

Self-Confident Jester

Apr 12, 2020
Country
Ukraine
Red Dead Redemption 2 (Play the game first for maximum emotional impact)
Mountain Hymn
That’s the Way It Is

Silent Hill -
Tainted Town (motion picture version. The one from the game gets...interesting.)

And for something a little different than the usual Castlevania and Final Fantasy plugs, there’s Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

Or how about Eternal Sonata.

Oh, and I can't forget Bloodborne specifically Omen, The Hunter and Cleric Beast. It admittedly tops any of the Souls games, and is probably the best orchestral soundtrack I've heard in a game, and that's going up against the outstanding Killzone 2, which is the first videogame soundtrack to win an Ivor Novello. The opening track's menu music was amazing, and this track pumping while you're blasting through a Helghast stronghold with all the atmosphere this game is drenched in was one of the greatest shooting experiences on console or PC.
Eternal Sonata has a miraculous playlist and i'm impressed, because it has my favorite music instruments, means choir, violo and piano. Good to know there are people, whose are fascinated by this kind of music)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Chrono Trigger had great music, but the followup Chrono Cross had incredible music.

When I went to a Video Games Live concert the medley mixing Radical Dreamers and Time's Scar was the finale. In a concert that featured music from Castlevania, Halo, Final Fantasy, and many others... Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross wrapped things up (except the acoustic singalong of "Still Alive" that was the encore for fun.)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hm, I tend to feel a bit iffy sharing soundtracks as they tend to have their strongest effect when actually playing/watching the game/film and can lose something along the way when isolated like this. So I spose this would be a sneaky recommendation for playing the damn game, especially as music is neatly tied into the story and character.

Hades better not hold back on the music front either!