Men: Now a Minority in PC Gaming.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Keoul said:
JediMB said:
Not a sociopolitical minority, but it's literally a statistical/numerical minority.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Are you parodying something? Because that would be the definition of a minority.
You're not wrong.
It's just that it feels kinda desperate to start saying "YOU'RE ALL MINORITIES NOW!" over a 0.2% lead. Not to mention this is based solely in America so it's kinda misinforming people with a title like that. You'd think with such bold claims it'll at least be a study done in at least 3 countries.

But don't let me stop you or anything.
You seem to be inferring meaning that isn't there. All this means to me, personally, is that the oft-used argument that women are a small minority (especially among RPG players), and should therefore not be prioritized, now holds even less water.

rhubarb_j

Oct 31, 2014
First off let me state that I think every person on the planet should be able to enjoy a hobby like computer gaming, be it Farmville, Diablo III, CoD or some weird hentai JRPG - without being prejudiced or harassed.

That having been said, I believe there are only 2 genuinely valid ways to define the term "gamer":

1. The only definition the industry is interested in: how much money do you spend on gaming (including hardware, ad revenue for browser-based games etc.)?

2. The vague definition we as "gamers" like to use - which games you play, which platform you use, how often and long you play, how serious/passionate/competitive you are, and so on.

I am 100% certain that by using either of these definitions, the vast majority of gamers are still males. VAST majority.

If anyone else can think of another relevant definition of "gamer", i'd certainly love to hear it...

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Savagezion said:
Um...YES! If you steal something you are by definition a thief! If you gambled, you are a gamblier. If you looked at someone naked (Intentionally that is) you are a pervert. If you lied, you are a liar. You can drop the habit, just like you can drop gaming, but that's it.
Well then this thread is filled with nothing but lying, perverted gamers cause I know you have all done both of those, be you man or woman. We're just a bunch of lying perverts. I wouldn't call someone who gambled 2 years ago, a gambler. I wouldn't even call someone who bets $20 on the super bowl every year a gambler. I wouldn't call someone who played a game 2 years ago, a gamer. I wouldn't call someone who once told a lie (or even lies on an average of once every 5 years at that) a liar. If you think looking at someone naked makes you a pervert, art colleges must be a really creepy place for you. Has someone who has been sober for 2 years still an alcoholic in your eyes?

I get wanting to be inclusive but if we are to be inclusive we need to categorize gamers because people have different gaming habits. The community spewed vile all over the first attempts at categorizing with "hardcore" and "casual". "Everyone who plays games is a gamer" they said with contempt for the idea. Well, they got their way and now 'studies' like this don't mean shit because the field is too ambiguous by its own nature. Casuals are not separated even though they spend far less money and time on the industry. Someone like me that spends hundreds of dollars every year on games from all genres except fighters and sidescrollers is no different than someone who only plays free apps on their phone and facebook titles. I have only allowed myself a $300 budget on gaming this year and I feel constrained as hell. Especially, with the next gen out. But it isn't like that information is important to anyone out there. We're trying to include every last person we can like a bunch of desperate hopefuls about... feminism, I guess. It's not like this information could be used to find out who is spending money on the hobby and actually supporting it or anything.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Savagezion said:
Did you miss the part where I said that you can drop the habit? Because I did say that. Wait, you were saying that we called a person who played a game once and then never again a gamer? I'm pretty sure that isn't where we were going with this.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
erttheking said:
Savagezion said:
Did you miss the part where I said that you can drop the habit? Because I did say that. Wait, you were saying that we called a person who played a game once and then never again a gamer? I'm pretty sure that isn't where we were going with this.
No, I saw it and acknowledged it but it only served to steer around that specific hyperbolic scenario. If you drop the habit you are not a gamer anymore. If someone no longer lies all the time would you go around calling them a liar because they used to be? Ditto with all the other scenarios? Dropping the habit IS dropping the title. "I used to be" a gamer is way more accurate. I am currently starting a new DnD campaign. I mentioned it to my buddy who is going to play about it and his wife heard us. Her exact words were "I used to be a big DnD nerd when I was younger" and proceeded to tell me about all the stuff she had and how much she played. However, I wouldn't tell someone that she IS a DnD nerd.

EDIT: For the record I tried getting her to play as well because of this which she resisted showing zero interest in playing. Hence, why she said "I used to be".

"You can drop the habit, but that's it" is saying "you can stop playing, but we're still gonna count you as the same as someone who still plays" It reeks of desperation.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
Gethsemani said:
So when "SJWs" posts studies like this they are false, cherry picking and serving an agenda, but when GGers post the same studies they are proof that men are actually getting shafted in gaming? Yeah, seems legit.
A) When did GGers post this and claim that (at least I didn't see it here)?
B) If you actually READ the comments people here seem to be saying that it's false as well.
So unless you're reading a different forum/stuff than I am I have no idea where your comment came from.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Silentpony said:
I keep reading statistics like this, and I'm sorry, but I never see the evidence. The way its phrased, one would imagine female gamers are everywhere, all the time, playing their games. In the almost 30 years I've been alive, I've met 1 female gamer.
How do you know? Do you regularly ask all of your colleagues, your neighbours, your doctor and dentist and dog-walker?
Because this kind of claim always strikes me as bizarre - you've probably met a variety of female gamers and just didn't know.

Sure, one can guess sometimes. The people in line at a game shop*, or the people who pull out their Vita or DS on the train, or (as I saw this morning) the woman wearing the Dragon Age shirt at the dog park - those are fair guesses. But you have no idea about anyone else - those people reading on the train or playing (gasp!) mobile games on their phone may be heavy gamers too, but you have no way of knowing.

*And I don't think shops are particularly representative in any case, especially now that everything is available online - a lot of them are clearly catering to specific subcultures and can be uncomfortable (if not hostile) to a whole host of people (not just women) who don't appear to be their in-group. There's an independent game shop in my old neighbourhood that (in theory) I'd love to be able to support, but they're unwelcoming and snobby - and what's worse is that I don't think they even recognize themselves as such.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
A study on gamer population is met with disdain on the escapist because it includes games they don't like. How surprising. I get that there are a whole lot of issues with the study, but I think the main point it is trying to get across is that the gaming industry, while still very fragmented in terms of population mix, is becoming more diverse. That's a good thing guys! Some of that 50% who play farmville WILL end up trying out a couple of so-called "core" games a result of their time in Farmville. That's not a bad thing!

rhubarb_j said:
First off let me state that I think every person on the planet should be able to enjoy a hobby like computer gaming, be it Farmville, Diablo III, CoD or some weird hentai JRPG - without being prejudiced or harassed.

That having been said, I believe there are only 2 genuinely valid ways to define the term "gamer":

1. The only definition the industry is interested in: how much money do you spend on gaming (including hardware, ad revenue for browser-based games etc.)?

2. The vague definition we as "gamers" like to use - which games you play, which platform you use, how often and long you play, how serious/passionate/competitive you are, and so on.

I am 100% certain that by using either of these definitions, the vast majority of gamers are still males. VAST majority.

If anyone else can think of another relevant definition of "gamer", i'd certainly love to hear it...
I agree with this sentiment, though not the specifics. As far as companies go, while the term "gamer" makes for a good tag to a market segment, is really ineffective. The main reason is that gaming as a past time has become mainstream enough that you can't be looking at it strictly from a "these people are gamers, and these people are not." The moment you get into that kind of thinking, you end up making definitions on thin air as to what constitutes a "real" gamer and what doesn't, which often ends with people saying things like "this is not a real gamer" vis-a-vis another person's gaming habits. If any of the executives listened to what some of the people here considered "real" gamers as their barometer for making business decisions, the industry would be a lot smaller and you'd see a lot less content being made, since you'd have less money invested into it, and less companies would crop up to make new content.

I submit that we should stop looking at people who play games on a binary yes/no identity check box, and more on a scale/quadrant of "how much do you play" and "what do you play". Because at the end of the day, the only reason such a segmentation scheme would exist is to figure out what what the consumer will want / play.

To me, it is abundantly clear that the single spectrum of "how much of a gamer are you" is no longer sufficient, since the population of people who play games have become far more diverse and far more complicated in consumption behavior. If you MUST categorize a consumer's behavior as a game player in a general sense, you are really asking two questions:

1. how much knowledge / convention of games do you have? (be it depth or variety, this question tests your consumption of things that relate to but are nominally outside of playing the game itself)
2. how much do you actually play?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Why is this thread making people so angry? Why are so many people going "ya, but Farmville!" and glosssing over the RPGs statistics. Whether or not the sample makes the statistics valid or not is a reasonable thing to debate, but in all seriousness, why are people so angry about this?

Also, if you don't care, and don't think it's important, why post in the thread? I swear, a lot of the attitudes in this thread make it sound like people don't want more women to be gamers.

Anyway, here's my attempt at answering the OP's questions:

1. Because they're more hardcore than us. As far as I'm concerned, you're more of a hardcore gamer for playing RPGs that you are for playing CoD.
Okay, joking aside, I really don't know. I'm a guy and I've always preferred RPGs to shooters (unless the shooter has a lot of roleplaying elements). Maybe it's because shooters typically are played online and women don't really want to interact with some jackass making sexist remarks to them constantly. You might be saying "oh please, you're exaggerating." I'm not. Back when I used to play CoD, my sister wanted to play a match. As soon as she confirmed that she was not a 10 year old boy and in fact was a teenage girl, she immediately had some graphic, sexual remarks made to her by two different people. Maybe she was just unlucky, but I all I know is, I've never had someone tell me that they wanted to "fuck me in the ass" while I was playing a game and yet this was leveled at my sister on her very fist gaming experience. It was really quite sickening.

Yes there's a mute button, but if you have to use it more often than not, there's something very wrong with the situation.

2. Again, this is just speculation, but maybe we like the competitive nature. I'm not saying that women don't like competition, just that maybe men like it more. Again, just speculation, I could be completely wrong.

3. I don't count them. Judging from the percentages, if we stopped counting these kinds of games, men would be the majority again but still, I think the RPG statistics shows that female gamers are only going to become more prevalent. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.

Edit: I had an extra "3." at the end of my post. Must be tired...

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Why is this thread making people so angry? Why are so many people going "ya, but Farmville!"
i think it's general disdain/fear of the current trend pushing for social justice (excuse the term, can't think of anything better / more neutral at the moment) in games. heavily skewed statistics like this make the situation look in a way that it quiet isn't and can be used for justification of pushing more "serious" non-social games gaming (again, sub-optimal term, but i can't think of something better) into a direction that many (myself, as a girl, included) is harmful to the quality of games.

Guerilla

Sep 7, 2014
Good God I'm so sick of the intellectually dishonest bullshit of SJWs. Does anyone, anyone actually believe that in real gaming and not this mobile puzzle "game" crap men are a minority?

This is like saying that 20% of movies are pranks because you classify youtube clips as movies. And if these "games" are just as important as core games why do SJWs always obsess over core games?

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
Kathinka said:
RedDeadFred said:
Why is this thread making people so angry? Why are so many people going "ya, but Farmville!"
i think it's general disdain/fear of the current trend pushing for social justice (excuse the term, can't think of anything better / more neutral at the moment) in games. heavily skewed statistics like this make the situation look in a way that it quiet isn't and can be used for justification of pushing more "serious" non-social games gaming (again, sub-optimal term, but i can't think of something better) into a direction that many (myself, as a girl, included) is harmful to the quality of games.
I get the sense it has a lot to do with fear. Mostly that there is a fear whereas they used to be the core audience that the industry serves. With this kind of shift, they might not be the most profitable demographic to serve anymore, and they fear that as a result, more of the money in the industry will be spent on catering to other players. And lord knows that if there is one thing people can't stand, it's the idea that this "other" group might now have more stuff than they do.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Kathinka said:
RedDeadFred said:
I don't see how that could happen since any game developer would look at these statistics and realize what the numbers are coming from. Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by using a poll like this to push games in a direction that is harmful to their quality. Are you saying that they might start sexualizing men a lot more to try and appeal to the larger, female audience? I'm not saying you're wrong here (statistics are used to push harmful agendas all the time), just give me an example of what they might do. Maybe I'm just not very imaginative.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Kathinka said:
RedDeadFred said:
I don't see how that could happen since any game developer would look at these statistics and realize what the numbers are coming from. Also, I'm not really sure what you mean by using a poll like this to push games in a direction that is harmful to their quality. Are you saying that they might start sexualizing men a lot more to try and appeal to the larger, female audience? I'm not saying you're wrong here (statistics are used to push harmful agendas all the time), just give me an example of what they might do. Maybe I'm just not very imaginative.
oh no worries mate, my brain is all mushy today, i'm somehow having difficulties properly expressing what i mean. :)

i agree that publishers are smart (and greedy) enough to check out any statistic they base their businesses strategy around very very closely. i don't really see it happening either. but the direction is a bit there.

as for what i meant with the development being harmful to the quality..maybe i can explain it better via an example.
when arma 3 was made, there was a relatively small, but very vocal and rather obnoxious group pushing hard for the inclusion of the female player models. now, in this case the devs stayed clear of that and stuck with male player models.
however, if this obnoxious and vocal minority gains more moment, maybe they'll be able to push devs into catering to their agenda, expending resources, budged and development time that could much better be used for game play improvements. rather than to shut up one nagging group that represents a small minority of the fan base.
i hope that example illustrated what i mean a little more clearly, sorry for the confusion earlier. :)

Artaneius

Dec 9, 2013
RedDeadFred said:
Why is this thread making people so angry? Why are so many people going "ya, but Farmville!" and glosssing over the RPGs statistics. Whether or not the sample makes the statistics valid or not is a reasonable thing to debate, but in all seriousness, why are people so angry about this?

Also, if you don't care, and don't think it's important, why post in the thread? I swear, a lot of the attitudes in this thread make it sound like people don't want more women to be gamers.

1. Because they're more hardcore than us. As far as I'm concerned, you're more of a hardcore gamer for playing RPGs that you are for playing CoD.
Okay, joking aside, I really don't know. I'm a guy and I've always preferred RPGs to shooters (unless the shooter has a lot of roleplaying elements). Maybe it's because shooters typically are played online and women don't really want to interact with some jackass making sexist remarks to them constantly. You might be saying "oh please, you're exaggerating." I'm not. Back when I used to play CoD, my sister wanted to play a match. As soon as she confirmed that she was not a 10 year old boy and in fact was a teenage girl, she immediately had some graphic, sexual remarks made to her by two different people. Maybe she was just unlucky, but I all I know is, I've never had someone tell me that they wanted to "fuck me in the ass" while I was playing a game and yet this was leveled at my sister on her very fist gaming experience. It was really quite sickening.

Yes there's a mute button, but if you have to use it more often than not, there's something very wrong with the situation.

2. Again, this is just speculation, but maybe we like the competitive nature. I'm not saying that women don't like competition, just that maybe men like it more. Again, just speculation, I could be completely wrong.

3. I don't count them. Judging from the percentages, if we stopped counting these kinds of games, men would be the majority again but still, I think the RPG statistics shows that female gamers are only going to become more prevalent. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing.
I'm all for more woman getting into gaming culture and communities. But that doesn't mean we include games that everyone knows mostly those who don't even consider themselves gamers play in massive numbers. Not to mention that if woman want more respect by the communities they have to earn it. I think that's the biggest issue that woman are having. They are expecting gaming culture to have the laws and rules that modern day governments force in reality. And that isn't the case. You want my respect as a gamer? Learn to wave dash and L-cancel and do well in a smash bros melee tournament. Post me up stats where you did extremely well in a online match of Quake or Unreal Tournament. Show me that your someone to actually care about and be respected as an individual, otherwise don't waste my time demanding for equality. I treat you the same way I treat men who don't have skill... like noobs. Lambs for the slaughter for those better.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Why do they ALWAYS include mobile/social games for these kinds of surveys? Just stahp.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
RedDeadFred said:

I think it's funny, personally. Watch these kinds of threads and see how long it takes for people to bring up casuals. Even in threads just about women who play games, the conversation shifts very quickly to casuals. Some people can't stop themselves.

And then the whole `but I have never met a female gamer!` thing. That's always a funny one.

I'd like to think that most people would either like more women gaming or are neutral on it. It'd be pretty damn weird to not want women to play games, but I have run into some people like that before.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Kathinka said:
RedDeadFred said:
Kathinka said:
RedDeadFred said:
oh no worries mate, my brain is all mushy today, i'm somehow having difficulties properly expressing what i mean. :)

i agree that publishers are smart (and greedy) enough to check out any statistic they base their businesses strategy around very very closely. i don't really see it happening either. but the direction is a bit there.

as for what i meant with the development being harmful to the quality..maybe i can explain it better via an example.
when arma 3 was made, there was a relatively small, but very vocal and rather obnoxious group pushing hard for the inclusion of the female player models. now, in this case the devs stayed clear of that and stuck with male player models.
however, if this obnoxious and vocal minority gains more moment, maybe they'll be able to push devs into catering to their agenda, expending resources, budged and development time that could much better be used for game play improvements. rather than to shut up one nagging group that represents a small minority of the fan base.
i hope that example illustrated what i mean a little more clearly, sorry for the confusion earlier. :)
What's wrong with giving people a choice in what gender they play as? I personally find it more immersive to play as someone who is of the same gender as myself. I imagine that many female gamers feel the same way. Sure, not all (and maybe not you), but I'm sure it would be appreciated. And really, how much extra resources could that possibly require? Actually, this post has just given me another answer to question 1 in the OP. RPGs (especially of the Western variety) tend to let you choose your gender. Maybe women are picking these games more and more because they can better relate to their character.

Anyway, I see what you mean in that maybe devs could get carried away and damage the quality of their games, but I don't see that happening unless women become the vast majority.
Edit: It would also probably require them to have a deep misunderstanding of what female gamers want. I mean, I don't they want shittier games. You having this conversation with me shows that.
Artaneius said:
RedDeadFred said:

I'm all for more woman getting into gaming culture and communities. But that doesn't mean we include games that everyone knows mostly those who don't even consider themselves gamers play in massive numbers. Not to mention that if woman want more respect by the communities they have to earn it. I think that's the biggest issue that woman are having. They are expecting gaming culture to have the laws and rules that modern day governments force in reality. And that isn't the case. You want my respect as a gamer? Learn to wave dash and L-cancel and do well in a smash bros melee tournament. Post me up stats where you did extremely well in a online match of Quake or Unreal Tournament. Show me that your someone to actually care about and be respected as an individual, otherwise don't waste my time demanding for equality. I treat you the same way I treat men who don't have skill... like noobs. Lambs for the slaughter for those better.
I didn't say that we should count those social/casual games that you are referring to. In fact, I said quite the opposite.

As far as them having to earn their respect... well, there's a difference between being respected and being treated respectfully and I hope you treat people respectfully no matter their skill level. Then again, I think this might just come down to how you and I treat noobs rather than have anything to do with female gamers. I'm not really sure what your point is. If you're talking about the example with my sister, yes, she was a noob. I can understand if people were pissed at her for sucking (though she wasn't even the worst on our team), I just can't understand why that would suddenly make it okay for them to sexually harass her. I'm not saying that you think it was okay, I'm just trying to understand the part of my post you're taking issue with. Maybe you're not actually taking issue with it and I'm just misunderstanding you. If that's the case, my bad.

Nielas

Dec 5, 2011
kasperbbs said:
Who cares? And it's most likely not true, unless you count facebook games and the like. In that case my mom spends at least 30 times more time gaming then i do and she mostly plays some mahjong game online.
Thinking about it, my mother probably plays more that I do at this point. My busy schedule prevents me from playing long gaming sessions as I used to. My mother has a very stressful job and has discovered that playing Plants vs Zombies in the evening relaxes her a great deal so she now puts in something like 1-2 hours per day playing that game.

terror55

Oct 21, 2011
OH NO! Thats terrible and further more.... oh wait, this affects me in no way whatsoever. Oh well back to gaming.