Metal Gear Rising: why the hate?

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I think it's just because nobody really likes Raiden. Like, at all. And I don't get that, I like Raiden. I actually prefer him to Snake, a statement that has earned me hatred up to and including death threats from hardcore Metal Gear fans.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Because it's incredibly over the top and just generally completely absurd.

Which I personally approve of, mind you, but I can see how it would bother some people. Honestly, this looks more over the top than DMC, if anything, like some sort of Metal Gear version of Asura's Wrath.

Okay, maybe not quite that silly.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I have no idea, Platinum have nothing if not a great record. I for one am patiently awaiting this game.

kordan11

Jul 31, 2008
It has nothing to do with Raiden, or how it's not a stealth game. I doubt it was really going to be stealth originally anyway (although if you watch the documentary Konami has released, the problem was they actually wanted it to be both stealth and action).

It's the feel... If you watch the original trailer, then the new one, you'll get what I mean. PlatinumGames does action in a much different way than the Kojima team, and it just shows. From big changes (Ray thrown into the air, "IT'S TIME FOR JACK TO LET EM RIP!!!"), to not so big ones (notice how in the first trailer it took one cut to kill a soldier, while in the new one Raiden just wails on them till he gets super mode and cuts then to ribbons).

I'll probably still be playing it, it's going to be a great game. Just not Metal Gear I think.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Galite said:
Because when it was first announced it was supposed to be part of the actual story. Instead they did a complete 180 after a year with no news and decided to remove any element that made it a metal gear game people love and made it into what will probably be a generic action game spin-off title. The first trailer was promising even to any of the metal gear fans, that I knew anyway. We weren't horribly thrilled that you were going to be playing as Raiden (I've always liked that snake was more or less just another human) but the promise of stealth and choice between killing or disabling enemies was still there.

That's my reason anyway. Even then I don't think it looks like a bad game but unless something big happens that changes my mind it definitely won't be a game I pay $60-$70 for.
Basically, this. People were expecting another MGS game, but got DMC with Raiden pasted in without much warning.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
Because its such a drastic departure from the main series and was initially pitched and shown as a semi steath game where you had sword instead of a gun and would have to make use of movement to remain stealthy, on top of pretty drastic story changes ie taking place after 4 instead of between 2-4. Is it really that hard to imagine that most fans of the series aren't looking forward to what when initially announced was supposed to be a stealth sword game has become a hack and slash with some pretty major changes. It's just not what the majority of fans expected or even want.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
It annoys me because if it's considered canon then there's no point what so ever in having any other character ever.

If Raiden is capable of slicing up hundreds of metal gears on his own without breaking a sweat then that's it, game over. Raiden rules the world because nothing can kill him and the whole metal gear universe just goes to pot.

Why call in snake when you can just get Raiden to obliterate everything?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Galite said:
Because when it was first announced it was supposed to be part of the actual story. Instead they did a complete 180 after a year with no news and decided to remove any element that made it a metal gear game people love and made it into what will probably be a generic action game spin-off title. The first trailer was promising even to any of the metal gear fans, that I knew anyway. We weren't horribly thrilled that you were going to be playing as Raiden (I've always liked that snake was more or less just another human) but the promise of stealth and choice between killing or disabling enemies was still there.

That's my reason anyway. Even then I don't think it looks like a bad game but unless something big happens that changes my mind it definitely won't be a game I pay $60-$70 for.
You're aware that Kojima had actually cancelled MGS:Rising yes? That's why there was no news for a year. After they had the initial concept and the idea for the stages/environments they realised that they wouldn't be able to make it work as effectively as they had imagined. So rather than say any of this, they just swept it under the rug and hoped that nobody would ask questions about it.

The reason it did a complete 180 is because Platinum said "Yeah...we can make it work" and make it work they did. I find it funny that people are complaining about it saying that this isn't what Rising should be like despite the fact that aside from the trailer from over a year ago there is no other way it had been done.

People are bitching and moaning and crying "RUINED FOREVER!!!" without realising that if Platinum Games hadn't come along, the game wouldn't exist at all.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Sober Thal said:
Gamers throw fits when they think games aren't named 'properly'.

It was fine when it was called Risen these past 2 years or so. The minute they added Metal Gear, its time to ***** and complain like it's the end of the world. It's not a new phenomenon.
When was it called Risen? Risen is a completely different game...
Doh!

I uhm, er... yeah. Rising, not Risen.

EDIT: To anyone saying 'this isn't what the game was supposed to be like', can you link what story made you think so? It's always been a hack and slash from what I've heard.
I was a bit confused there, glad that's cleared up. I also thought it was just going to be a hack and slash. I mean, you're a robot ninja. The first trailer I remember seeing involved tearing out a robo-spine. What do you expect?

Daniel Elfrank

Apr 8, 2010
Doesn't matter if it's 'different than what was once shown', as that game was about to be scrapped entirely. Platinum Games volunteered to take up the project, and Kojima asked that they meet two conditions: Raiden moves fast at a steady 60 FPS and that the controls are buttery smooth.

mad825 said:
Metal Gear Rising is no longer going to be on the PC so I have the right to hate....Oh wait, this is a fan issue.
I'm mainly a PC gamer who loves games all around and hate seeing this attitude among PC gamers. Quit making us out to be a bunch of condescending pricks.

Also, does anybody else think that the Rival Cyborg looked like Shunsui from Bleach?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I'd imagine they're pissed because the game's been completely changed from what it was announced as.

Not to mention that atrocious fucking subtitle. I find that insulting, and you couldn't pay me to play MGS.

'Revengeance'. *shudder*

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
I've read comments on another thread that MGS4 wraps things up pretty well...all of it. So apparently Rising has some explaining to do and hopefully it won't be a complete ass pull.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 4 is the one game that makes me feel the pain of not having a PS3. Every other game I want to play either came out for the 360 or I don't care about (well, maybe that and The Last Guardian).

So I was quite excited we'd be getting a Metal Gear game for 360. And I only grumbled a little bit when I found it would be starring the "guy" nobody liked from MGS2. But this new trailer makes it look like they tossed the stealth out the window, and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the fighting in a Metal Gear game.

So yeah, maybe it'll be good on its own merits, but it doesn't look like it'll build on the things I loved about past games in the series. I might play it, I might enjoy it wholeheartedly, but if I don't get to creep around in a cardboard box then the 360 still won't have a Metal Gear game.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I liked the other Metal Gear games, but I never thought they were that good gameplay-wise, so it might improve on that while still involving giant robots.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I don't hate it, I just don't care at all about that game. I love the MGS games, so it has nothing that interests me.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
Galite said:

Basically, this. People were expecting another MGS game, but got DMC with Raiden pasted in without much warning.
And also the fact that it was originally was made to be Between 2 and 4 to show Raiden how he became his Cyborg Ninja. But now they changed the story to AFTER, which makes no freaking sense. EVERYTHING was solved at the end of MGS4, no cliff hangers, no secret villians. Nothing.