Metal Gear Solid 5 Introducing User-Generated Content

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
I've never played the series, but wasn't Snake dying at the end of the last one? He looks kinda young again in that picture...
Snake is a clone of Big Boss and MGS V has Big Boss in it, both are incredibly similar and shared the same voice actor for a while (I'll never forgive Konami for ditching out David Hayter :mad: ), but both have very different personalities.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Able Seacat said:
Have you read the article on IGN about a recent gameplay demo? Apparently it's reminiscent of Splinter Cell Conviction.
I haven't gotten around to playing Conviction yet, so I can't say whether that's a good or bad thing.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Marik2 said:
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:
So this game is a prequel?
It's Chronological Order time! Here's a list of the canon games and their main characters:

[HEADING=3]These games come first, and feature Big Boss (aka Naked Snake) as the protagonist:[/HEADING]
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

[HEADING=3]From this point on, Solid Snake is the main character:[/HEADING]
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Solid Snake in the first chapter, Raiden for the rest of the game)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Only Raiden is playable this time. Neither Snake even makes an appearance)

I hope this clears things up for you.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. In spite of chronology, it's probably best to play the games in release order. Some of the older ones can be rather frustrating if you get too accustomed to the added features and significantly improved controls of the series' later entries.
Isn't portable ops technically not canon? In terms of character development yeah, but the events in it contradict the timeline. And Kojima doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it cuz he didn't work on it.
Portable ops is considered Canon cause it explained a few minor details in the story like how big boss met frank yagor. (sorry about bad spelling) But ya according to the wiki it is canon.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Marik2 said:
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:
It's Chronological Order time! Here's a list of the canon games and their main characters:

[HEADING=3]These games come first, and feature Big Boss (aka Naked Snake) as the protagonist:[/HEADING]

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Solid Snake in the first chapter, Raiden for the rest of the game)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Only Raiden is playable this time. Neither Snake even makes an appearance)

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. In spite of chronology, it's probably best to play the games in release order. Some of the older ones can be rather frustrating if you get too accustomed to the added features and significantly improved controls of the series' later entries.
Isn't portable ops technically not canon? In terms of character development yeah, but the events in it contradict the timeline. And Kojima doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it cuz he didn't work on it.
Well, they used clips from Portable Ops for flashbacks in some cut-scenes in MGS4 so I will say yes.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Zer0Saber said:
Marik2 said:
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid

P.S. Thanks

Well, they used clips from Portable Ops for flashbacks in some cut-scenes in MGS4 so I will say yes.
Wait what?

Only one that I remember was when they used footage from hte original metal gear games.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
Marik2 said:
Zer0Saber said:
Marik2 said:
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid

((((((MGS4 Spoiler)))))

It was either when Big Mama was explaining something or at the end when Big Boss was explaining things. Little tiny panels were scrolling on the screen with clips from various MGS games and I noticed the scenes from PO.

P.S. Thanks

Wait what?

Only one that I remember was when they used footage from hte original metal gear games.
(MGS4 Spoiler)

It was either in the cut-scene with Big Mama explaining things or at the end when Big Boss explained things. Little panels were scrolling across the screen with clips from various MGS games and I remember seeing clips from PO. Also I had to type this again because when I posted it it just posted quotes and not what I typed.

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
I SERIOUSLY hope that this turns out to be the best sandbox game of all time and revolutionizes both sandbox gaming AND stealth gaming. MGS is a great series, and I hope that they don't mess it up with this game

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Able Seacat said:
Sounds interesting, I hope that creators are given lots of tools.

immortalfrieza said:
As long as they can retain the stealth aspects and the codec conversations the series is known for, I don't mind it being an open world game at all. However, if those things are gone, the game will have lost what made the series good.
Have you read the article on IGN about a recent gameplay demo? Apparently it's reminiscent of Splinter Cell Conviction.
MGS is always evolving.
relevant bits from article;

''Boss sprints, slides, climbs, and tags enemies like Sam Fisher has since 2010?s Splinter Cell: Conviction. Aggression takes precedence over delicacy, but still plays an important role in slithering through shadows. He?ll hurl enemies from ledges too, but nothing feels more foreign in Ground Zeroes -- and by association, the whole of Metal Gear Solid V -- than the slow-motion executions.''

I have no problem with this. Note that MGS5 is open world now and multiple open ended infiltrations need to be balanced by a more manoeuvrable snake. You can see this is action in the demo-it's very encouraging.

''Before a guard enters an alert state, you?ll get a button prompt indicating you?re busted. Hold the left trigger, and you?ll briefly freeze time, giving you the opportunity to pump a couple quiet bullets into an alarmed enemy?s eyeballs. It?s an elegant means of avoiding detection that comes with a Mark and Execute sense of style, but I?m terrified this neuters the importance of evasion''

So it's not mark and execute- it's optional bullet time as soon as you are discovered.
In MGS4 you had lock-on shooting, octo camo, 2 factions busy killing each other to worry about you and it was near impossible to run out of silencers. You could also grab/take out a 'newly alerted guard' before he has a chance to call for help/radio in.

The only thing that could possibly be a cause for concern is the 'freeze time' feature. Is it intrusive?optional? operational even when discovered from behind? dependant on range?
MGS4 was so open-ended in terms of playstyles you could easily not use a feature and have loads of fun. It's not like other games i.e. absolution; where you need to use 'instinct' or play it as a non-hitman game.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Give the modders something like the Creation Kit, and then you'll have my attention.
The Creation Kit is the worst piece of Software I've ever used, less usable than even Blender was to me when I first tried it. I had to watch a god damned 30 minute video just to figure out how to do basic stuff in the CK, and after the 10th crash/freeze I just abandoned any efforts at modding an ES game at all.

The interface rivals Microsoft Access in terms of how bloated it is (only that in Microsoft Access, all the functions actually seem to do something half way to useful). The renderer can't do shit without crashing. Relocating items inside a level without a 40 minute tutorial on the basics of item placement is impossible. Getting a model imported into a level is something I'm not even going to try. It is literally easier to use a text editor and edit game files yourself, provided you can translate them into a somewhat readable format.

How you do a modding SDK right would be CryEngine Sandbox or UnrealEd (with the latter being a bad example, as it literally gives you nothing to start with and no idea what buttons you should press to accomplish it). Or even Hammer for SOURCE. But Hammer is nigh unusable on a single monitor (UnrealEd has the same problem: if you don't want to constantly switch windows, you're going to have to use a second monitor).

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Mcoffey said:
Matthi205 said:
Mcoffey said:
Give the modders something like the Creation Kit, and then you'll have my attention.
The Creation Kit is the worst piece of Software I've ever used, less usable than even Blender was to me when I first tried it. I had to watch a god damned 30 minute video just to figure out how to do basic stuff in the CK, and after the 10th crash/freeze I just abandoned any efforts at modding an ES game at all.

The interface rivals Microsoft Access in terms of how bloated it is (only that in Microsoft Access, all the functions actually seem to do something half way to useful). The renderer can't do shit without crashing. Relocating items inside a level without a 40 minute tutorial on the basics of item placement is impossible. Getting a model imported into a level is something I'm not even going to try. It is literally easier to use a text editor and edit game files yourself, provided you can translate them into a somewhat readable format.

How you do a modding SDK right would be CryEngine Sandbox or UnrealEd (with the latter being a bad example, as it literally gives you nothing to start with and no idea what buttons you should press to accomplish it). Or even Hammer for SOURCE. But Hammer is nigh unusable on a single monitor (UnrealEd has the same problem: if you don't want to constantly switch windows, you're going to have to use a second monitor).
Fair enough, it was just the first thing that came to mind. My point is something with that level of versatility is far more interesting to me than user missions that are little more than variations of the missions that are alreadty there.
I know it's the first thing that comes to mind, just wanted to actually make it known to people that it's not as good as most that haven't used it make it out to be.
I'll agree, though. Just little user-created missions are a lot less interesting than a fully fledged editor (on that note: why the hell did they invest money into making a new engine when licensing the CryEngine (Unreal doesn't do gritty graphics that well) would've been cheaper? And enough? And provided people with modding tools by default, with a non-atrocious content packaging method...? Why exactly?