Metal Gear Solid 5 Introducing User-Generated Content

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid 5 Introducing User-Generated Content

Players will be able to build their own missions in Metal Gear Solid 5 on their smartphones and tablets.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain looks poised to make some big changes to the way the long running franchise plays. While it should maintain the franchise's trademark tone of super-serious wackiness, it will be the first game in the series to implement <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124774-Open-World-Metal-Gear-Solid-5-Coming-to-Xbox-One>open world mechanics that, in turn, could revolutionize the way the game is played. Speaking about the title recently, series creator Hideo Kojima revealed some of the surprising reasons that his team opted to go the open world route.

"You can use smartphones and tablets to interact with the world," stated Kojima. "That's why we did an open world, because we thought about all these interactions on multiple devices." While we're sure there are probably some other reasons as well, his discussion of second screen functionality revealed a new, potentially exciting addition to the game: user-generated content. "Using tablets and smartphones you can also enjoy MGS V and create user-generated missions within the world."

A lot of gamers sometimes scoff when developers bring up things like second screen integration, but this actually sounds like a really useful and practical way to bring tablets and smartphones into the game. Coupled with the title's new open world structure, user-generated content could vastly expand on The Phantom Pain's replayability. Likewise, the idea that we could be sitting on the bus crafting an MGS5 mission on our iPhone is genuinely exciting. In the least, it could represent a big step forward for a series that has arguably struggled at times with giving gamers enough content.

Source: Official PlayStation Magazine UK

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
I don't really feel that this is a good way to go. Because of the smartphone's nature, the editing functionality will be incredibly limited. It could be interesting, but it's all in the execution, and I don't see that being very good. It could be a superb way of wasting time if done correctly, but... again: I don't see that happening, as it is improbable.

If such an editor was put on PC, and usable like CryEngine Sandbox (that is, intuitive to use), that would be a great thing. If we could import our own assets (models and textures) and change their in-game statistics, that'd be great too.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
I've never played the series, but wasn't Snake dying at the end of the last one? He looks kinda young again in that picture...

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
SonicWaffle said:
I've never played the series, but wasn't Snake dying at the end of the last one? He looks kinda young again in that picture...
That's not Snake.

That's Big Boss.

They're 2 different people.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
SonicWaffle said:
That's not Snake.

That's Big Boss.

Though in fairness, one is a clone of the other, so people can be forgiven in getting confused. Anyway, back OT, I like the idea of user generated missions.

Although, oh god, can you imagine some of them. I can see it now, one massive room, 20 guards, and 20 boxes for you.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Shia-Neko-Chan said:
SonicWaffle said:
That's not Snake.

That's Big Boss.

Weird, he looks exactly like Snake. Then again, the only one I put serious time into was MGS3 and apparently the character in that one was Big Boss, or something? I'll be honest, I got pretty damn lost.

So this game is a prequel?

EDIT:
Gromril said:
Though in fairness, one is a clone of the other, so people can be forgiven in getting confused.
I guess that would explain it :p

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
As long as they can retain the stealth aspects and the codec conversations the series is known for, I don't mind it being an open world game at all. However, if those things are gone, the game will have lost what made the series good.

Able Seacat

Jun 18, 2012
Sounds interesting, I hope that creators are given lots of tools.

immortalfrieza said:
As long as they can retain the stealth aspects and the codec conversations the series is known for, I don't mind it being an open world game at all. However, if those things are gone, the game will have lost what made the series good.
Have you read the article on IGN about a recent gameplay demo? Apparently it's reminiscent of Splinter Cell Conviction.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Okay, so let's get this straight - Kojima wants Quiet to be redesigned to be "cosplay sexy", but he's also adding in modding. If there's anything that modding has taught me, some of the first mods you're going to see are nude mods and clothing replacers that are more revealing and/or sexy.

...Why are you doing this extra work, again?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Do not give a fuck about tablets and smartphones. Let's just make sure this one is a stealth game, not a shooting gallery like 4 was, ok Kojima? Although user-generated missions do sound promising. Actually, that could be good fun if MGS5 comes with another iteration of Metal Gear Online.
SonicWaffle said:
Technically both. Sequel to Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker, and prequel to Metal Gear 1&2 on the MSX.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
So it'll be a sequel to Metal Gear Solid 3, except as if made in GoAnimate. Now I'm kind of glad that the series died for me in a tsunami of diarrhea in MGS4 :/

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
It's Chronological Order time! Here's a list of the canon games and their main characters:

[HEADING=3]These games come first, and feature Big Boss (aka Naked Snake) as the protagonist:[/HEADING]
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

[HEADING=3]From this point on, Solid Snake is the main character:[/HEADING]
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Solid Snake in the first chapter, Raiden for the rest of the game)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Only Raiden is playable this time. Neither Snake even makes an appearance)

I hope this clears things up for you.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. In spite of chronology, it's probably best to play the games in release order. Some of the older ones can be rather frustrating if you get too accustomed to the added features and significantly improved controls of the series' later entries.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
Okay, so let's get this straight - Kojima wants Quiet to be redesigned to be "cosplay sexy", but he's also adding in modding. If there's anything that modding has taught me, some of the first mods you're going to see are nude mods and clothing replacers that are more revealing and/or sexy.

...Why are you doing this extra work, again?
eh..where did you get the mod bit? It´s user generated missions, it´s a console game, ya not gonna be putting ya own stuff in.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Between this, the fact characters won't talk much and the focus on sexiness I don't know how I feel. Kojima's always had one hand in the sexy jar but going whole hog I dunno how I feel. As for the talking and user generated content...I dunno. I enjoyed all the talking, it makes the characters interesting and damn it I enjoy the story and user generated content always seems like a cop out so they don't have to make as much stuff.

NeedsaBetterName22

Jun 14, 2013
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:
It's Chronological Order time! Here's a list of the canon games and their main characters:

[HEADING=3]These games come first, and feature Big Boss (aka Naked Snake) as the protagonist:[/HEADING]

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (Solid Snake in the first chapter, Raiden for the rest of the game)

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Only Raiden is playable this time. Neither Snake even makes an appearance)

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. In spite of chronology, it's probably best to play the games in release order. Some of the older ones can be rather frustrating if you get too accustomed to the added features and significantly improved controls of the series' later entries.
Also Revengeance is non-canon according to Kojima.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
NeedsaBetterName22 said:
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid

P.S. Thanks

Also Revengeance is non-canon according to Kojima.
Except that Revengeance totally is canon [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BTtiAQuZ0] according to Kojima [http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/02/konami-and-platinumgames-talk-metal-gear-rising-revengeance/].

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Covarr said:
SonicWaffle said:

Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2
Metal Gear Solid

P.S. Thanks

Isn't portable ops technically not canon? In terms of character development yeah, but the events in it contradict the timeline. And Kojima doesn't seem to want to acknowledge it cuz he didn't work on it.

NeedsaBetterName22

Jun 14, 2013
Scrythe said:
Except that Revengeance totally is canon [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7BTtiAQuZ0] according to Kojima [http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/02/konami-and-platinumgames-talk-metal-gear-rising-revengeance/].
I'm behind on my information then, my mistake. In 2011 Kojima compared it to Acid (which is obviously non-canon).

Then again MGS canon is a clusterfuck only overshadowed by the X-Men movies.