Metal Gear Solid 5 Will Contain Plot "Inconsistencies"

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Vivi22 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Like how they turned Para Medic from MGS3 into Dr. Clark, the 'guy' who tortured Gray Fox.
To be fair, in the original Japanese MGS script, Dr. Clark's gender was never specified. I'll take off my nerd hat now.
Maybe.

Even still, having Para Medic - a ditzy coms tech who likes movies - become this cruel scientist is quite a stretch. It's like Mei Ling turning into Revolver Ocelot.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I read that is "We're still mostly ignoring everything that happened in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" since that's the stance the series wants to take.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who catalogs the inconsistencies between thousands of issues of DC comics, but I just find it strange how much they ignore the roots of a franchise. And yes, the minor details bug me too (OILIX, Dr. Madnar, etc), but I will give Kojima credit for at least giving a few shits about keeping things in line. More than what could be said for... well, a lot of franchses, really.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Vivi22 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Like how they turned Para Medic from MGS3 into Dr. Clark, the 'guy' who tortured Gray Fox.
To be fair, in the original Japanese MGS script, Dr. Clark's gender was never specified. I'll take off my nerd hat now.
Maybe.

Even still, having Para Medic - a ditzy coms tech who likes movies - become this cruel scientist is quite a stretch. It's like Mei Ling turning into Revolver Ocelot.
Yeah hopefully they show just how she turned into an unethical doctor.

The same goes for Zero; really hope they find a good way to explain why both of them snapped.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
ShakerSilver said:
Oh god I really want to believe this but its so goddamn stupi... oh wait Metal Gear.

This is officially canon.

OT:
I don't mind the plot holes and dumbfounded crap that happens to the canon cause gameplay wise these games are just solid in terms of gameplay (no pun intended) and thats why people love them. But i'd be lying if I say didn't enjoy the story, minus MGS4's garbage 3rd act. I love all of the silliness the game has to offer. Nothing beats fighting bipedal robots whilst listening to anime music pass itself as drama.
Is MGS3 even canon?! Its the most normal in the series to be...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
In other news Kojima is saying Metal Gear Solid 5 will be his last Metal Gear game.

I think the greatest thing about the franchise is that it's reached the point where the only way they can mess it up is if they're boring. We expect crazy and if the series isn't stamping on every convention of what 'good' should look like then it's not doing it's job properly. I want immortal vampires who are called vamp, not because of the blood sucking thing, but because they're super sexual and then to have the game tell me with a straight face. 'No it's not something as silly and unrealistic as magic. Nanomachines did it.'

And in the same way I want a story that retcons all it's stupidly complicated backstory seemingly on whim(to make it even more complicated and for little to no reason).

Heck this is how the franchise started. In Metal Gear 2 they started speaking about Big Boss and Snakes backstory as though it had actually existed in MG1. And every game since then has done the same thing.

Heck the games retcon things which have never actually existed. Metal Gear Solid 2 had a teaser for the plot of Metal Gear Solid 4 and MGS4 just casually references the teaser as a lie.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Well, they already had advanced AI war machines in the '70s with Peace Walker, despite AI-controlled armaments showing no signs of existing until Metal Gear Solid 2.

So whatever MGSV does will probably be minor in comparison.

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Man I am so disappoint at the lack of a PC version :( I really don't wanna have to shell out for a next gen console just for MGS5...
My understanding is that it's going to be for Xbox 360 and PS3 as well as the next-gen consoles.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MisterGobbles said:
SkarKrow said:
Man I am so disappoint at the lack of a PC version :( I really don't wanna have to shell out for a next gen console just for MGS5...
My understanding is that it's going to be for Xbox 360 and PS3 as well as the next-gen consoles.
I'd rather play it in as pretty a way as possible without corners being cut for it to run on the current gen.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
I gave up on the story wayyyyyy back in MGS2

As long as its fun and not nauseatingly emotional (Jack's GF having a domestic mid mission) it'll be fine with me.

Cuddly Knife

May 20, 2009
BrotherRool said:
In other news Kojima is saying Metal Gear Solid 5 will be his last Metal Gear game.
riiiiight. he's been saying that since the development of mgs2. i've kind of become convinced that mgs is all kojima knows how to make anymore. pretty lame, imo.

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
I would be severely disappointed if the plot was consistent.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Why is Snake looking down the iron sight with the eye that has a patch over it?
Big Boss have been doing that since Metal Gear Solid 3. How he actually manages to hit something like that is anyone's guess.

SkarKrow said:
If the PC version of Metal Gear Rising, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 sell well I would not be surprised if we see a PC port of Metal Gear Solid V eventually, especially since Kojima have showed some interest in porting it to PC.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I guess this is what happens when you awkwardly shove a prequel midway into a series that's not only reached a sound and magnificent conclusion but also had a comprehensive prequel that pretty much does everything you could want a prequel to do.

At first I thought Kojima was just trying to challenge himself, but if there will be plot 'inconsistencies' I guess I can't even assume that. Ah well, the game looks awesome anyway. Just as long as these loose deviations are small things, like the minor instances in MGS3.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Kojima doesn't make games.

He just writes hilariously homoerotic scenarios and ties them together with idioticly confusing and long story sequences, then hiding from people a little bit more - and strings it all together with GameMaker.

And really, when did MGS have canon? Wasn't each game pretty seperate from each other in terms of plot? I can't remember.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
It's a Metal Gear game, why isn't this being taken as read that there are going to be plot holes?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Mr.Amakir said:
I would be severely disappointed if the plot was consistent.

Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Why is Snake looking down the iron sight with the eye that has a patch over it?
Big Boss have been doing that since Metal Gear Solid 3. How he actually manages to hit something like that is anyone's guess.

SkarKrow said:
If the PC version of Metal Gear Rising, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows and Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 sell well I would not be surprised if we see a PC port of Metal Gear Solid V eventually, especially since Kojima have showed some interest in porting it to PC.
1) Big Boss does not need sight. He feels the gun. That is all.

2) That's true and hopefully it does find it's way to the PC, although of those things I already have Lords of Shadow and am interested in the sequel, Rising did not tickle my fancy so to speak.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Cuddly Knife said:
BrotherRool said:
riiiiight. he's been saying that since the development of mgs2. i've kind of become convinced that mgs is all kojima knows how to make anymore. pretty lame, imo.
It was a joke =D I was basically saying 'In other news incredibly obvious things are obvious'. I don't know if he's actually said it.

Him repeatedly doing Metal Gear games doesn't have anything to do with his capability of making other games. How can it, he's never tried and the times he has tried he's very well reputed and popular games. I think he's both way too obsessive and gets sucked in by seeing other people and wanting to correct their mistakes and he feels a large amount of responsibility to his company (which is more common Japan) and he can't endanger their flagship enterprise