Metal Gear Solid Considered for Remake -UPDATED

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Metal Gear Solid Considered for Remake -UPDATED

Hideo Kojima is looking into an outside studio to handle a possible remake.

While the Metal Gear franchise actually dates back to the late 1980s, the franchise as we know it today saw its foundations laid down in Metal Gear Solid, released on the PlayStation in 1998. A classic of its time, it was unprecedented in its implementation of both stealth gameplay and cinematics. That being the case, you might forgive modern gamers for looking back at it and seeing more rough edges than smooth ones. Just from a visual standpoint, games on the original PlayStation tend not to have aged all that well.

Perhaps recognizing this, series-creator Hideo Kojima has shown interest in remaking Metal Gear Solid using the Fox Engine, which is currently being used to make Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. During an E3 roundtable a fan expressed their desire to see remakes of both Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 2. Responding to this, Kojima stated that he was already looking into an outside studio to remake Metal Gear Solid with the Fox Engine.

While unbridled excitement is the first thing that comes to mind with this news, a potential Metal Gear Solid remake also comes with questions. Most important is what a potential remake would retain from the original game and what it would change. The setting of Shadow Moses island, for instance, is kind of small when compared to locations in later games. While purists might want nothing more than a graphical and gameplay update, it could arguably be a good idea to expand on the game's setting as well. Also, the return of David Hayter would be a must. <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124689-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Casts-Kiefer-Sutherland-as-Snake>Keifer Sutherland will undoubtedly do a good job in The Phantom Pain, but the original Metal Gear Solid sans David Hayter as Solid Snake? That there be blasphemy.

Updated: According to Hideo Kojima, the source article that originally published his comments pointing to a Metal Gear Solid remake had made a mistake in its translation. "There's a rumor about remaking MGS1+2, but that's not true," said Kojima. He stressed that while he'd love to see a remake, his studio has far more present priorities, namely Metal Gear Solid V. Nonetheless, he added that he "wouldn't mind if a talented creator from an outside studio could [make] this happen." So you never know. A Metal Gear Solid remake may not be in the cards currently, but the future could always change that.

Source: GameReactor via <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/kojima-looking-to-remake-mgs1-with-next-gen-fox-engine-6410686>GameSpot

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
Why does no one remember Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes? It was an absolutely brilliant game that deserved to be ported several times over.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Why?

Why does this need to be done again?

I think it would be more interesting to remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 instead of Solid. But that doesn't seem like the sort of job an external studio could do.

I guess it's not entirely bad. Another studio would handle this instead of Kojima, so as long as he finds a studio capable enough then it could work. Although I think he should skip a MGS1 remake (since there already exists a remake) and remake 2. That makes me wonder how much good the Fox Engine would do when you compare the expansive and dynamic open environment of MGS5 to the cramped Big Shell environment in MGS2.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I'd be up for a remake. Though I agree Hayter has to voice Snake again or it will just seem weird.

Verrenxnon said:
Why does no one remember Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes? It was an absolutely brilliant game that deserved to be ported several times over.
Agreed, I never got why this was never ported over to other consoles or even re-released in the hd collection. I tried Twin Snakes on the Gamecube but playing MGS with the Gamecube pad felt really awkward for me so I didn't finish it.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
@Tohuvabohu think Nintendo holds exclusivity rights to that one
That's part of the reason why actually and Nintendo doesn't wanna let go of those rights. It's a similar issue when it comes to the Megaman Legends games, mainly the first one as the first one was on the N64 (titled Megaman 64) and on the Playstation.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Artificially Prolonged said:
I'd be up for a remake. Though I agree Hayter has to voice Snake again or it will just seem weird.

Verrenxnon said:
Agreed, I never got why this was never ported over to other consoles or even re-released in the hd collection. I tried Twin Snakes on the Gamecube but playing MGS with the Gamecube pad felt really awkward for me so I didn't finish it.
Well, to be fair, the fan who asked Kojima about the remakes wanted one for MGS2, as well. Since Twin Snakes had graphics on par with that game, he probably wouldn't consider it adequate.

And likewise, I hated Twin Snakes on the Gamecube controller. I might have toughed through it, but I also found myself disliking some of the more Matrix-y moments the developers injected into it.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Nintendo have exclusivity rights on The Twin Snakes. Much like they do with Eternal Darkness as well (also by Silicon Knights)

Anyway, I'd definitely be up for this.

Although perhaps a little less of the Twin Snakes ridiculousness =P

As for what outside studio it would be, I would guess Bluepoint? They did do well with the MGS HD Collection after all.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Verrenxnon said:
Becuase Silicon Knights. After they did Twin Snakes they went off and made thier own game, sued Epic when it flopped, lost their lawsuit and Epic's countersuit, and now theyre a gutted studio that exists only to pay thier dues to Epic and then finally die while the gaming community ridicules them for not knowing when to give up.

And porting games across systems was usually more trouble than it was worth for the Japanese publishers in those days.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Or, you know, you could just port Twin Snakes...
Although I don't know how much of that game is retained by Nintendo and Silicon Knights.

And yes, I liked Twin Snakes a lot, some stuff was definitely better than the PS1 original (having played the original like 10 times), but... dem backflips...

Sledgimus

Aug 15, 2008
What would be the point of remaking MGS2? I guess you could cut out a load of unnecessary cut scenes, but you're then left with about thirty minutes of game. Just do something new.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sledgimus said:
What would be the point of remaking MGS2? I guess you could cut out a load of unnecessary cut scenes, but you're then left with about thirty minutes of game. Just do something new.
I think it'd be neat to see remakes of Metal Gear 1 and 2 from the MSX.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Remaking Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? Okay. The former could even need some addional stealth and less "guess where you need to go next".
Metal Gear Solid 1? Well, I don't see why not. It was basically THE Metal Gear Solid game. Okay, there is another one, which is...
Metal Gear Solid 3. Oh boy, I would KILL for that. Especially a 1:1 remake just with improved visuals. Same gameplay (Subsistence Camera, of course), same story, same cutscenes, better graphics.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I already have Twin Snakes somewhere around here... Fuck it. I'll buy Metal Gear Solid again. Can't have too much Metal Gear

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Nintendo have exclusivity rights on The Twin Snakes. Much like they do with Eternal Darkness as well (also by Silicon Knights)

Anyway, I'd definitely be up for this.

Although perhaps a little less of the Twin Snakes ridiculousness =P

As for what outside studio it would be, I would guess Bluepoint? They did do well with the MGS HD Collection after all.
Oh man I'd forgotten about the back flips. Clearly Snake's talents are wasted in Tactical Espionage, he'd fit well in Olympic Gymnastics :p

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Verrenxnon said:
it was ok, it would have been better if they didn't fill it with lame acrobatic cutscenes and actually improved the game's difficulty to accommodate the change in gameplay.

what i would actually like to see first is a remade version of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 combined into one game to follow off from Phamtom pains to round it off and to add some more depth to the MSX Titles.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Oh man I'd forgotten about the back flips. Clearly Snake's talents are wasted in Tactical Espionage, he'd fit well in Olympic Gymnastics :p
Don't forget about the jet noises that Snake emanated when he triggered slow-motion. ;)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'd love a modern MGS1 remake. The Twin Snakes was atrocious, thanks to some serious gameplay changes (first person shooting, ledge hanging, significantly improved enemy AI) without level design changes to compensate. Even ignoring the questionable creative decisions, it was awful from a pure gameplay standpoint. Metal Gear Solid deserves a better remake than that.

P.S. Thanks