Metal Gear Solid IP May Be Licensed Out; Kojima Possibly Seeking Microsoft Partnership

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Great now I have to get an Xbox Series X in the future as well as a PC. Unless SSD prices decrease then PC only.

Edit: I am going to go on a rant. Can someone please just win the console wars already or end this exclusive crap? I am sick of having to buy multiple consoles just to get all the games I want, and a PC to boot. Yeah I know I could just get a PC, and ignore switch/Nintendo. But a PC is just more expensive period. A PC lasts 3-5 years, but a console yes lasts 3-5 years but costs way less, and you don't need to upgrade during those years. The problem with PCs is that SSD and high-end graphics cards cost bonkers right now, and yes I have the money for it, but I live in America where a health emergency could bankrupt you. I swear if Amazon does the same thing as Google, and does Stadia 2.0 we are screwed because Microsoft and Amazon will fight each other with exclusives, and no one will win in the gamer community. Gaming should be accessible to all and should be not be a luxury, yes I know first-world problems. And before anyone tells me that competition is good...

1. Look at the streaming services, between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney Plus, and HBO you have to sub to all of these when you should just sub to Netflix
  2. Even if Microsoft or Sony won the Console War they would have to complete with PC specs, so if they stagnate they die off.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Speaking of sony, did you see this by any chance?

Yeah just watched it. I guess I can deal without trophy support on it if I ever need to jailbreak it. That’s why I’m cleaning up some for my favorite games now just in case.

Design Flaw? More like on purpose feature. Why have Digital Games be so connected with the CMOS battery?

Apparently something to do with trophy support, and it’s not just digital games but discs too. Whether or not they accounted for it initially in the design idk, but it seems to make sense since IIRC trophies will still pop regardless of being online or not, but then needing a PSN connection to sync with the servers.

I’m also wondering if the PS3 would have this same problem.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  1. Look at the streaming services, between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney Plus, and HBO you have to sub to all of these when you should just sub to Netflix
  2. Even if Microsoft or Sony won the Console War they would have to complete with PC specs, so if they stagnate they die off.
As far as streaming service is go, all I care about is HBO Max and Netflix. For the Disney plus shows, I rather wait till they come out on DVD and blu-ray.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
As far as streaming service is go, all I care about is HBO Max and Netflix. For the Disney plus shows, I rather wait till they come out on DVD and blu-ray.
That's still one more streaming service than you should have in an ideal economy. Most people don't get 2-3 cable contracts.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That's still one more streaming service than you should have in an ideal economy. Most people don't get 2-3 cable contracts.
I always prefer physical copies. The good thing about HBO Max's case is that if I'm on the fence about a show/film, I can just watch it through the streaming service. If I don't enjoy it, I won't own it. The same applies to Netflix too.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Yeah, remember when streaming was supposed to be simpler than cable? Now we need a damn flow chart to determine who has what available where and when, for how long, and we haven’t even talked cumulative cost to the consumer yet.

I’m with BrawlMan and hope HBO Max stays decent, with Netflix for everything else.

I’m wondering if something will come around offering package deals on all these streaming services, because it’s become a bit of a clusterfuck having to sign up for another service like Hulu just for that one show you want to watch. I guess Firestick kinda does this already, but it’s still not as convenient as flipping to a different channel on cable.

Then we have reliability issues. Shit, we’ve had to call customer support three times in as many months for our Firestick (300mb connection by the way, where my Steam downloads are the only thing consistently able to utilize even 1/10th of that), and it’s app-specific. First was Paramount, then ABC, then Hulu. All involved problems with streaming quality. Typically it ended up just taking an app reinstall, update or restarting the Firestick to correct, but ffs if this is supposed to be the future.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Metal Gear Solid 3 Remastered by Blue-Point and with Ground Zeroes Controls.
Pretty sure we'd have to sacrifice something we love for that to happen. I just don't want to make suggestions because Konami would probably take us up on it and then give us a pacikoslot anyway.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I am going to go on a rant. Can someone please just win the console wars already or end this exclusive crap? I am sick of having to buy multiple consoles just to get all the games I want, and a PC to boot. Yeah I know I could just get a PC, and ignore switch/Nintendo. But a PC is just more expensive period. A PC lasts 3-5 years, but a console yes lasts 3-5 years but costs way less, and you don't need to upgrade during those years. The problem with PCs is that SSD and high-end graphics cards cost bonkers right now.
PCs are more expensive up-front, but between increased game prices, and that you need a subscription to play games online, software costs bring console prices in-line pretty quick.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who is turned off by that upfront cost, but once you have a decent PC, you only ever really need to upgrade the GPU every few years, and everything else follows you around.

The only real problem right now, is that, as you say, GPU prices are bonkers. It definitely is not a good time for someone to be in the market for a new gaming PC.

But once you are in, you're in - you know?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
And before anyone tells me that competition is good...
Ahem...

But really, I can understand the frustration. Only a little though to be honest, Microsoft and Nintendo have never put out anything I've been particularly interested in. But letting a whole industry be controlled by one entity doesn't sound like a good idea. Imagine if Microsoft had won the 7th generation and we were stuck with the Xbone and it's Kinect/no sharing of games for all of the 8th generation, euugh.

Besides, I think we're slowly shifting a timed-exclusive thing now. Sony's been putting out a few of it's exclusives on PC, something I thought I'd never see. I think waiting for a few years is a good enough compromise.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I’m kinda hoping he does do an Xbox exclusive and it kicks ass, just to maybe help Sony see how ridonkulous they’re getting this gen with killing off seemingly everything except proven AAA IP’s.
Does anyone ever learn in the entertainment industry? Like ever? Even when they do they'll forget again anyway.
Look at the streaming services, between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Video, Disney Plus, and HBO you have to sub to all of these when you should just sub to Netflix.
This is why I refuse to get Apple TV to watch Wolfwalkers, eventhough every review tells me to get it because the movie is just that good. And I'm sorry, but no. Even for just a free trail, no, fuck you, I'm done with this shit.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone ever learn in the entertainment industry? Like ever? Even when they do they'll forget again anyway.
This is why I refuse to get Apple TV to watch Wolfwalkers, eventhough every review tells me to get it because the movie is just that good. And I'm sorry, but no. Even for just a free trail, no, fuck you, I'm done with this shit.
Apple tries selling us on Apple TV (or worse, was it Apple TV +) with the purchase of a new iPhone, but they have no reasonable explanation as to why, even with a subscription to the service, you’d have to pay a premium cost on top of that to even begin watch anything worth a damn. This is like paying for the “privilege” of being in some club, then getting slapped with a cover charge nearly every time you enter.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
PCs are more expensive up-front, but between increased game prices, and that you need a subscription to play games online, software costs bring console prices in-line pretty quick.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who is turned off by that upfront cost, but once you have a decent PC, you only ever really need to upgrade the GPU every few years, and everything else follows you around.

The only real problem right now, is that, as you say, GPU prices are bonkers. It definitely is not a good time for someone to be in the market for a new gaming PC.

But once you are in, you're in - you know?
What about CPU prices? What about the power supply which will need to be upgraded in the computer when the CPU, and GPU are too power-consuming after upgrading. What about SSD prices.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
What about CPU prices? What about the power supply which will need to be upgraded in the computer when the CPU, and GPU are too power-consuming after upgrading. What about SSD prices.
What about any of those things?

Im still rocking my Corsair 750W PSU that I have owned for what must be close to a decade by now. Power usage of components doesn't really rise from generation-to-generation, and good quality hardware doesn't pop. Having a quick look on Amazon, PSU prices have also barely moved, from memory. PSUs really aren't an issue.

CPU prices have also barely moved, and the bang-for-buck that you can get these days is insane. My girlfriend is using an i3 10100F which is a 4c/8t CPU, that I got for £80 from Amazon, and is supposedly on-par with a 7th gen i7, and performs dangerously close to my 9600K. CPUs also really aren't an issue.

SSD prices, if anything, have gone way down. I remember when I got my first 120GB SSD, and it was close to about £50. These days, you can get 500GB for that money, or 1TB for an extra £25, depending on where you look. It is only with the high-performance Samsung or WD SSDs, where the prices start to look eye watering, but even an entry-level SSD will do the job.

I think one thing that a lot of people struggle with, when looking at a gaming PC, is feeling like you need the biggest and baddest parts, but really, that isn't the case. Get yourself a Ryzen 5 or an i5, 16GB RAM, a good quality 600W PSU, a 1TB SSOD, or 500GB and a HDD, and then pump the rest of your budget into a GPU, and you will be golden. The only thing that you will need to think about upgrading would be the GPU, or the storage,

Hell, I still know people who are still happily rocking 2nd gen i5s.

But again, I wouldn't fault anyone for still thinking that the up-front cost is too much to justify.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
What about any of those things?

Im still rocking my Corsair 750W PSU that I have owned for what must be close to a decade by now. Power usage of components doesn't really rise from generation-to-generation, and good quality hardware doesn't pop. Having a quick look on Amazon, PSU prices have also barely moved, from memory. PSUs really aren't an issue.

CPU prices have also barely moved, and the bang-for-buck that you can get these days is insane. My girlfriend is using an i3 10100F which is a 4c/8t CPU, that I got for £80 from Amazon, and is supposedly on-par with a 7th gen i7, and performs dangerously close to my 9600K. CPUs also really aren't an issue.

SSD prices, if anything, have gone way down. I remember when I got my first 120GB SSD, and it was close to about £50. These days, you can get 500GB for that money, or 1TB for an extra £25, depending on where you look. It is only with the high-performance Samsung or WD SSDs, where the prices start to look eye watering, but even an entry-level SSD will do the job.

I think one thing that a lot of people struggle with, when looking at a gaming PC, is feeling like you need the biggest and baddest parts, but really, that isn't the case. Get yourself a Ryzen 5 or an i5, 16GB RAM, a good quality 600W PSU, a 1TB SSOD, or 500GB and a HDD, and then pump the rest of your budget into a GPU, and you will be golden. The only thing that you will need to think about upgrading would be the GPU, or the storage,

Hell, I still know people who are still happily rocking 2nd gen i5s.

But again, I wouldn't fault anyone for still thinking that the up-front cost is too much to justify.
I need to mod Elders scroll 6 with up to 1000 mods at 1440p, and many of them script mods. That demands a very good computer.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Plus you PC evangelicals people are very deceptive, and sus. Watch.

Oh well, that's only literally 1500 dollars, make it 2000 with windows 10, and a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.

1618875530864.png