Metal Gear Solid: Rising Makes Mercy an Option

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
If it's a PS3 exclusive, theirs one unhappy panda here...

OT: I'd just try Torture then Mercy in both playthroughs, see there's any moral diffence..

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
The whole expression based moral dilemma thing sounds intriguing. I'm definitely becoming more eager to check this game out

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
i dont care if this comment harbers hate
im genuinly impressed
that takes ALOT of planning and work to put in
well done.

doodger

May 19, 2010
It's a great idea. Not killing people is sometime much more fun than killing them. Maybe raiden will be able to laugh at them on facebook or something.

Chameliondude

Jul 21, 2009
i did a no kill, no spots run in mgs4, but you do get tranquilizers then so probily alot easier, but if this works, it will be sick.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
Pacifism or torture? You know, I don't typically refrain from killing enemies MGS games. I don't cut a bloody swath, of course, but I pop the occasional cap. I guess that makes my Snakes or Raidens more anti-heroes or whatever, but it's typically done via a quick bullet to the head. I mean, when you have to drop a sucker to make the mission go smoothly, drawing out the act doesn't make too much sense. In other words, yes, I kill, but torture isn't my bag, baby.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
This bit of news strongly reminds me of one of the legends of Muramasa and Masamune:

A legend tells of a test where Muramasa challenged his master, Masamune, to see who could make a finer sword. They both worked tirelessly and eventually, when both swords were finished, they decided to test the results. The contest was for each to suspend the blades in a small creek with the cutting edge facing the current. Muramasa's sword, the Juuchi Yosamu (10,000 Cold Nights / 十千夜寒) cut everything that passed its way; fish, leaves floating down the river, the very air which blew on it. Highly impressed with his pupil's work, Masamune lowered his sword, the Yawarakai-Te (Tender Hands / 柔らかい手), into the current and waited patiently. Not a leaf was cut, the fish swam right up to it, and the air hissed as it gently blew by the blade. After a while, Muramasa began to scoff at his master for his apparent lack of skill in the making of his sword. Smiling to himself, Masamune pulled up his sword, dried it, and sheathed it. All the while, Muramasa was heckling him for his sword's inability to cut anything. A monk, who had been watching the whole ordeal, walked over and bowed low to the two sword masters. He then began to explain what he had seen:

"The first of the swords was by all accounts a fine sword, however it is a blood thirsty, evil blade, as it does not discriminate as to who or what it will cut. It may just as well be cutting down butterflies as severing heads. The second was by far the finer of the two, as it does not needlessly cut that which is innocent and undeserving."
Source: Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masamune#Legends_of_Masamune_and_Muramasa]

Who knows? Maybe this tale inspired Kojima Productions to allow for this (although the story is historically inaccurate, since the two never met).

Rogue426 said:
Probably already mentioned but...

Is anyone else noticing the recent trend cropping up with the whole *Lets NOT kill people* in games?

I mean Rising has the Mercy option, and Fallout New Vages has announced you can play the entire game start to finish as a pascifist and not kill anyone either.

Weird, but i like the idea. Makes the games more appealing as, while i have no objections to killing. Having a second *Non lethal* playthrough option gives me an excuse to pop the disk in a second time.
To be honest, I think it's already a good thing beacuse it offers players different playstyles they can employ and not necessarilly hack or gun their way through every game. I especially like the fact that it is possible in Fallout, where character interaction is important. But even in this game, it's nice to have the option.

DaGreatNoob said:
TerribleAssassin said:
If it's a PS3 exclusive, theirs one unhappy panda here...
No need to worry. It's for the PS3 and 360.
....and PC, too. =)

Infact, that is the biggest reason why I am excited for this game. There hasn't been a Metal Gear Solid game on the PC since Substance and I loved the original (although I never played the sequel; many people said it was terrible). It's very nice to see Konami finally taking notice of the PC demographic again.

This, combined with Front Mission: Evolved coming for the PC as well, makes me really happy. It's a good time to be a PC gamer.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
So a game that looks to have one of the most interesting sword fight mechanic I have ever seen now lets you NOT kill people.
What's wrong with that? Now you can slowly kill people or leave them to suffer after slicing off thier toes. If anything it make the game evem MOAR hardcore.

(I plan to leave as many people as possible missing some fingers =P)

Digital_Hero

Jan 27, 2010
soooo I can see how this is new in comparision to other games but in regards to Metal Gear, how is this any news?

I cant speak for the original MG's, but im dead certain that from Solid onwards, you could play through the entire game easily without killing anyone. The only issue was that the bosses still technically "Died" although you "killed" them by non-lethal means.

I can see how with the whole sword thing that it would be significantly harder, but still, I cant say im surprised that there will be an option for the no-kill run.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
sephiroth1991 said:
I like not haveing to kill people, in the other games i have rarely killed people unless i had to.
I like when I am able to play a game and not kill people.

That way when I do kill everyone it has some sort of meaning to me :).

Lord knows in Oblivion I sneak into enough houses and drive an arrow through the heads of sleeping people (I am sure to turn difficulty to easy because...for some reason...hard == I can survive an arrow into my SKULL).

But yeah :).

TsunamiWombat said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Mercy? With that kinda crazy swordplay?

That's pointless.

What's next? A stealth version of Left 4 Dead?
I... I would play that.
Sneaking passed a doorway as 10,000 zombies breath deeply not sensing your presence. One false move resulting in them rushing you and feasting on your flesh.

I know lots of people hated it, but that scene where Will Smith goes after his dog into the building in I am Legend.

That scene really captured a level of terror that I'd love to see in more horror games. He really sold it (most folks overlook that amazing scene because of the bad CG, really a shame).

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
theultimateend said:
sephiroth1991 said:
I like not haveing to kill people, in the other games i have rarely killed people unless i had to.
I like when I am able to play a game and not kill people.

That way when I do kill everyone it has some sort of meaning to me :).

Lord knows in Oblivion I sneak into enough houses and drive an arrow through the heads of sleeping people (I am sure to turn difficulty to easy because...for some reason...hard == I can survive an arrow into my SKULL).

But yeah :).
That is a good point because it makes the player more in tune with the game's world. You're not just an automatic killing machine, but someone who makes a choice to kill or not. Oblivion is an excellent example because it allows a great range of freedom in roleplaying, so increasing the available options to a player's approaches is all the better.

*then re-watches swordplay video*

OHHH!!! This is like giving a kid a lollipop and telling them not to eat it!

*proceeds to slice n' dice*

Hee hee hee!

TsunamiWombat said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

That's pointless.

I... I would play that.
Sneaking passed a doorway as 10,000 zombies breath deeply not sensing your presence. One false move resulting in them rushing you and feasting on your flesh.

I know lots of people hated it, but that scene where Will Smith goes after his dog into the building in I am Legend.

That scene really captured a level of terror that I'd love to see in more horror games. He really sold it (most folks overlook that amazing scene because of the bad CG, really a shame).[/quote]

I actually liked that movie a lot. I don't see how the CGI was soooo bad when people would gripe about it considering some of the downright terrible work in other films.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
I actually liked that movie a lot. I don't see how the CGI was soooo bad when people would gripe about it considering some of the downright terrible work in other films.
Yeah :). The CGI didn't bother me at all, I grew up when stop motion was the thing to do.

That scene should be used as an example of "selling it" I think.

I've seen it a few times and each time I'm drawn in and I feel an actual sense of fear for the character. That almost never happens for me :/.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

That's pointless.

These NPCs have feelings...lives...children...spouses...

Why should he be turned into stir fry?

also....LOLMERCY

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
theultimateend said:
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Yeah :). The CGI didn't bother me at all, I grew up when stop motion was the thing to do.

That scene should be used as an example of "selling it" I think.

I've seen it a few times and each time I'm drawn in and I feel an actual sense of fear for the character. That almost never happens for me :/.
When you look at that scene, there is a combination of atmosphere, emotions, and human-other relations that is very effective. These elements can translate well to a game, using various combinations to place even more gravity upon the situation the player is facing.

I can see how MGS: Rising could attempt to employ the use of such subtle factors to really affect the player and make them weight their actions.