Metal Gear Solid V Goes Mature In New Red Band Trailer

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
hazabaza1 said:
Oh god that's fuckin'... eugh. Jesus, MGS always had this campy cheery feel to it but this is... fucked up.
Well, yes and no, it's always had camp moments, but the stories of Metal Gear games have always been darker than dark. Betrayal, torture, incest, child soldiers, patricide, deceit, suicide, nuclear destruction, that's about normal. It would seem that this time it's not going to pull any punches visually either, I had to look away at that scene.

Keifer sounds great, but I'm still hoping Young Snake (who's canon name is Dave for crying out loud!) makes a Hayter voiced appearance, that would be epic.

Also, this looks like being a huge leap over four, maybe the same kind of leap between two and three gameplay wise? We'll see, but this could very well be the game to sell me on a PS4

J. MB

Nov 20, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Sutherland does a good job, and I doubt I'll mind once I start playing, but it's still weird not to hear Hayter growling through Snake's mouth.
Have they stated definitively what the deal is with Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain? As in, are they two separate games, or is Ground Zeroes the Virtuous Mission to Phantom Pain's Snake Eater, and they're both part of Metal Gear Solid V?

This game looks damn good all the same, and was definitely my favorite showing of E3. I just need to get through 4, Peace Walker, and Revengance and then I'll be all caught up for V!
You are correct with the virtuous mission/Snake Eater notion. Though I'm pretty sure they'll both sell as separate games, they're two halves of MGS V.

AkatsukiLeader13

Mar 12, 2012
Honestly I kind of like Sutherland. I'm not entirely use to it yet, I'll have to watch the trailer again a few more times but I think he's done a pretty good job. Yeah he is trying to sound like Hayter but that's the point, he's the transition voice from the voice of the younger Snake done by David Hayter to the older tones of Big Boss voiced by Richard Doyle.

J. MB

Nov 20, 2009
Mcoffey said:
J. MB said:
Mcoffey said:
Sutherland does a good job, and I doubt I'll mind once I start playing, but it's still weird not to hear Hayter growling through Snake's mouth.
Have they stated definitively what the deal is with Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain? As in, are they two separate games, or is Ground Zeroes the Virtuous Mission to Phantom Pain's Snake Eater, and they're both part of Metal Gear Solid V?

This game looks damn good all the same, and was definitely my favorite showing of E3. I just need to get through 4, Peace Walker, and Revengance and then I'll be all caught up for V!
You are correct with the virtuous mission/Snake Eater notion. Though I'm pretty sure they'll both sell as separate games, they're two halves of MGS V.
Ah, I see. Wish they were sold together, but if there's enough good content in both to justify two purchases, all the more better.
Kojima says that while Ground Zeroes will still be important, it's really a glorified prologue and Phantom Pain is where all the important stuff is. If you have to prioritise them, it looks like you might want to for Phantom Pain first.

abdul

Oct 27, 2012
Xathos said:
Speaking of Ocelot...Troy Baker?
I think he was voiced by Robin Atkin Downes (Uncharted 1/3,Tomb Raider).

I don't wanna start another female character representation shitstorm,but still don't understand the reason why they still feel the need to show the female soldier in bikini,Snake wears full gear and I reckon he's sweating just as much in the desert as she does,then again it might make sense if it's straight after the torture.I thought Meryl looked great in MGS4 and she wore the same shit as the rest of her squad.Also I really really hope there won't be cringeworthy female enemies like the beauty and beast corp with the constant moaning.I'd prefer more characters like the Boss personally.

Anyhow the trailer looked great,have they said anything about a possible PC port? They're releasing this on 4 consoles,might as well do it for the PC too seeing as they're porting Revengance to it.(I know it's a Platinum game so maybe that had something to do with it)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So...if this trailer shows that NOW the MGS games are mature/gritty/dark/realistic/life-like whathaveyou...doesn't that imply inadvertently that all the other games before Metal Gear Solid 5 weren't mature? And I'm guessing you still shoot dudes, as that seems to be a staple in this serious. So the combat hasn't matured. I'm left with the story/dialogue. It may be that finally the games aren't wacky, but I seem to remember Metal Gear Solid 4 being billed as finally mature/dark/realistic/life-life and it was as goofy as the Animaniacs, except Yakko didn't say "Good night ladies and gentleman" after every terrible pun.

Side-note, replace Solid Snake with the Warner brothers and their sister Dot and those games would make SO much more sense!

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
I finally figured out what a squee is because by 6:00 I couldn't hold it in. They know how to sell a game, that's for sure.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
The fact that is coming to the PC has me all giddy and I can't wait to play it whenever it will get released.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
If that was Sutherland doing the voice during that first waterboarding scene then.....I'm pretty impressed. It reminded me more of Richard Doyle's Big Boss rather than Jack Bauer which was my main concern.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, that's some showmanship, is this just darker and edgier because Konami/Kojima have run out of ideas, or a fresh take that will revive my interest in the series? As an aside "Quiet" looks smoking hot despite probably missing a functioning tongue or vocal cords.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
MGSV Goes Mature: Implying MGS3 wasn't a dark story on how a young man goes from optimistic and full of life to one who is depressed with the past regretting his later actions when he finds out his mentor betrays him and is forced to her. Or how MGS4 wasn't a story on how future war is creepy and under control, with a man coming to terms with old age and the fact that he'll eventually become an epidemic to humanity if he doesn't off himself. Minus the absurd amount of silly dialogue and easter eggs in between...

Gameplay looks to be fun and deep, and the setting and graphics beautiful.

Also Sutherland. I like him, his voice, his delivery, and the fact that he actually sounds old compared to Hayter. I'll miss Hayter, but I sure hope he shows up at some point in the game. Especially since this entry into the franchise looks so suspicious its not even funny.
People working for a fake dev team constantly tweeting "Open your eyes!" Classic Kojima, screaming in our face that theres more to this then meets the eye. What a troll.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
The Metal Gear
abdul said:
I don't wanna start another female character representation shitstorm,but still don't understand the reason why they still feel the need to show the female soldier in bikini,Snake wears full gear and I reckon he's sweating just as much in the desert as she does,then again it might make sense if it's straight after the torture.I thought Meryl looked great in MGS4 and she wore the same shit as the rest of her squad.Also I really really hope there won't be cringeworthy female enemies like the beauty and beast corp with the constant moaning.I'd prefer more characters like the Boss personally.
The Metal Gear series has always been fairly blasé with their fanservice. This is a series that let you X-ray peek through Paz's clothes, and had swimsuit models for all the female characters in Peace Walker. Going to first person mode on various other games gave you a full-frontal of someone's stripperiffic cleavage, or a sneaky (hurr) peek upskirt.

I think they tend to get let off a little more easily than some others because there's a level of self-awareness and camp about it. For example, unlocking the female bikini models in Peace Walker and going on dates with Paz required you doing the same thing for all the male models first.
Also, Snake has been shirtless countless times, and Raiden has been fully nude, so equal opportunity for all in a Metal Gear game as far as I'm concerned. The difference within Kojipro's character design is perhaps the fact that titillation is really just secondary to the character, as it should be.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Xcell935 said:
MGSV Goes Mature: Implying MGS3 wasn't a dark story on how a young man goes from optimistic and full of life to one who is depressed with the past regretting his later actions when he finds out his mentor betrays him and is forced to her. Or how MGS4 wasn't a story on how future war is creepy and under control, with a man coming to terms with old age and the fact that he'll eventually become an epidemic to humanity if he doesn't off himself. Minus the absurd amount of silly dialogue and easter eggs in between...
Well thats the problem with this series for me. MGS4 had a mature premise but was way too goofy to pull it off it away that didn't make me roll my eyes. The extreme hammy acting from the the villian cast and the absolutely aweful bits of humor just ruin it. Imagine if in the middle of Platoon Dafoe just started shitting himself and the director made sure to zoom in on his ass every time it happened.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Oh god that's fuckin'... eugh. Jesus, MGS always had this campy cheery feel to it but this is... fucked up.
That's exactly what I was thinking, I hope there's some campyness to cut trough all that dark serious edginess.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
This is about the only thing that could tempt me to get a console at the moment. Either way it wouldn't be an XBone.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
The gameplay looks like an improvement, crawling is much faster, running and jumping have a use now. It all looks far more fluid and dynamic. First issue is that it really doesn't feel like Metal Gear anymore, more like Assassin's Creed if Assassin's Creed wasn't shite. But that aside, onto more pressing matters: the voice actor(s).

Initially I was fucking livid that they'd discarded David Hayter, but now I'm fucking furious. Not only does Sutherland's performance not fit Big Boss as a character, but it sounds outright generic. I'm not saying he's a bad actor, but he doesn't sound much different from anyone else we've heard so far.
Also, it's not just Hayter who has been replaced, Ocelot doesn't appear to have Zimmerman's voice anymore (arguably the second most iconic voice of the series) Kaz quite clearly isn't voiced by Robin Atkin Downes who voiced him in Peace Walker and I can almost guarantee Christopher Randolph won't be coming back to do Hal Emmerich's voice.

So what do we have of Metal Gear that is left? The voice cast is all gone, replaced by a bunch of dudes who so far all sound basically the same. And the gameplay is so drastically different as to look like a totally different franchise.
Will I play this? Probably, some day. It took me five years to play Metal Gear 4, but I was looking forward to that one, that wasn't a choice. Metal Gear V? I'll wait five years because that's how long it'll take me to get over this obvious departure from a franchise I've grown up with and loved for so many years.

TL;DR, Sutherland was the wrong choice, the game looks too different.