Metal Gear Solid V Goes Mature In New Red Band Trailer

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
Honestly? If that isn't Robert Atkin Downes who isn't voicing Kaz, they sure as hell picked someone who sounds very familiar.
Ocelot might not sound like Zimmerman, but I don't mind because we've only really seen Ocelot either in his young Ocelot version or his grizzly old-ass Revolver Ocelot identity he had since MGS1, and in MGSV he really seems to be in a transitionary age between the two (or at the very least, his moustache is!)

The only absolute outlier in the cast from the dialogue we've heard, I think, is Keifer Sutherland. I like his performance tbh - tonal inflection and register feels more subtle than David Hayter gave Big Boss in Peace Walker, exactly what Kojima wanted - but in terms of distinction from some of the other characters I have a feeling he might be the dark horse out of the voice cast, because he lacks the iconic throat-cancer pitch of Hayter or Richard Doyle.

wolf thing

Nov 18, 2009
crackfool said:
Kiefer Sutherland is definitely an improvement over Hayter. Yes, Hayter is "iconic" and all, since he voiced Solid Snake on the PS1, but he has no range to his voice. His one-note gruff really hurt some of the more recent MGS games. Sutherland is a far more accomplish and capable actor. His voice is different, but change can be better. Kojima brought on Sutherland because he wanted to bring out more personality from Snake's voice, something that Hayter is unable to do. Voice acting standards have risen since 1998, and for a game that is heavy on cinematic cutscenes, voice acting is important. Sometimes you have to break tradition to improve the franchise. It'd be silly to hamstring the future of a franchise solely based on some voice actor that got casted 15 years ago, especially when the replacement is significantly better. That's like insisting that all future Batman movies can only star Adam West, or hating on Daniel Craig for not being similar to Roger Moore.
I agree to a certain point, although i like Hayter as snake. The difference would be that old snake (MGS4) was a young man in an old mans body, while big boss is an old man know and will need to sound older, not just in voice but in attitude.
I have not heard enough of Hayter outside of MGS to tell how good of an actor he is but i like him as solid snake but big boss is a different character, snake is snake, he goes through little change here and there but all and all he is who he is, while big boss goes through alot of shit; killing the boss, being betraid by the CIA, getting cloned by the CIA so it would make sense he would have a much more different out look than solid snake. In my eye Hayter has never brought that or needed to and from what little i have heard from Sutherland he bring a more grimmer proformance which make sense for big boss, and if the devs think this will help there game, then go for it, big boss is a diffrent man fomr snake and has other voice actor.

But if i were to place a bet, id say Hayter will show up as solid snake either in this game or latter one, myabe thins game is set in to different times, one with big boss, one with snake.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Marik2 said:
Geez that was brutal in the beginning

Thought Japan wasn't ok with that sort of stuff
I think Kojima is trying to hammer in the fact that Big Boss is the villain. That final scene with Big Boss in the mini Metal Gear is also highly suggesting that. I don't know where it was said, but Big Boss used child soldiers, and from this trailer Kojima might even go as far as to have him use them as drug mules (if that is indeed drugs). If true that would be pretty ballsy of him.

But that was indeed pretty fucking brutal.

It looks like Otacon's dad is gonna part of the gang as well. And is that kid in the prisoner jump suit Solid Snake, or am I just going crazy?

I'll say one thing, Kojima knows how to make a fucking prequel.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Also, that last bit annoys me a little. The only "Metal Gear" in the games at this point was ZEKE, and I can't really find much, if anything, that shows that other nations had found out about it, much less any major group. Since it goes from Peace Walker's time, all the way to 1995 when we see the next Metal Gear.
To be fair,
Cypher already knows about Metal Gear since Paz spied for Zero and even tried to hijack Metal Gear ZEKE. Not to mention the fact that Major Zero was part of Snake's support team when Granin told Snake about his Metal Gear idea and how he was going to send his design to his friend in the United States. Add in the fact that Emmerich was the friend(if I recall correctly) and used the documents to help design Peace Walker for the US, and Cypher probably knows more than enough about Metal Gear. Probably has a good reason to want to surpass it too, if only to counteract Big Boss and his ZEKE.
RAXA was also a Metal Gear, although I'm not sure how much influence it would have or if it's even strictly canon anymore.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I'm going to keep an eye on this game; not being afraid to shy away from the more brutal aspects of global espionage and open world stealth-action are a win in my book.

However, this will be the first Metal Gear game which is, by reputation, confusing and convoluted and not nice to beginners story wise.

It seems thought that this takes place in the past although I don't know how far in the Metal Gear universe. Do you think that I could pick it up and not be completely confused?

Also, whats this about there being two games, Phantom Pain and Ground Zero? Are they both supposed to be parts of the greater Metal Gear Solid 5 or what?