Metal music in your 20s

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jazoni89 said:
Metal music, in our teen years it was our bread and butter, but getting older me and countless others branched out to various genre's, and gone was the stigma of listening to various different music that plagued me in my teen years.

I used to be a huge metal fan when I was a teenager at college, i hanged out with the cool metal guys and we all shared our songs, but then time went by, and metal started to wear thin on me and i started branching out alot more to various genres, and music that i couldn't stand a few years back, i was listening to.

Now at the age of 21, metal has disappeared completely out of my mind, and in retrospect i think metal was just a way for us younger minds to be edgy, and cool, and to rebel against mainstream music.

So i've got a question for all you 20 somethings, has metal music weared thin as you go older, or are you still a die hard metaller for life, please tell me what you think.
I'm 20 and I'm listening to Manowar right now. To me, it sounds like you just went through a metal phase, like when I listened to ska for a few years. I've been listening to metal and punk music since I was 7 or 8, and don't see it ending anytime soon.

Talal Provides

Oct 22, 2010
I've gone from listening to contemporary metal to listening to lots of Maiden, Priest and Motorhead. And I'm much happier now.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Good metal stays with you, but a lot of what you listen to as an angsty young teenager (teenage metal) sucks, simply because the only thing it has is the sentiment of 'GET ME, I'M LISTENING TO METAL, HARDCORE YEAH, I HATE MY PARENTS, GRRR, FUCK SOCIETY.' As you age, you tend to grow out of that and find the stuff that's actually good, but during the teen years, that's all most people are really looking for. This is coming from somebody well inside the metal scene, in case you were wondering.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
Dubstep is awesome, and i see that new genre really going places in the future, unlike metal which seems to be taken over by more 15 year old scene kids as time goes by. People don't like to admit it, but the metal scene is dying, especially in the UK.
Firstly, ugh... dubstep, and secondly, it's only dying in parts of the UK. It's still strong where I am, the hampshire/wiltshire area. :)

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Talal Provides said:
I've gone from listening to contemporary metal to listening to lots of Maiden, Priest and Motorhead. And I'm much happier now.
I personally think that is much more intelligent metal music than, rarr, rarr I love canibal corpse, and blind guardian, and some other metal band with a edgy name, like some of the members of this site.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
When I first started listening to metal, by the age of 13, I thought it was cool as hell. I also became cockier and cockier as the years went by. Mainly due to the huge amount of metalhead friends I made.
These days(I'm 21 now) I still listen to metal with love, but not as much as before. I used to write songs and record them, but that passion has pretty much disappeared.

Still got my waist-long hair, and I don't ever intend to cut it off.

Talal Provides

Oct 22, 2010
Jazoni89 said:
Talal Provides said:
I personally think that is much more intelligent metal music than, rarr, rarr I love canibal corpse, and blind guardian, and some other metal band with a edgy name, like some of the members of this site.
You can't call yourself a metalhead if you don't own a copy of Ace of Spades.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Well, I'm only 20 but I don't see me liking my metal music less down road. I do listen to all kinds of rock, metal, heavy metal, progressive metal (really only Dream Theater), hard rock, classic rock, alternative, nu metal, etc. In matter of fact, my favorite bands branch over all of those genres. I even listen to hip-hop/rap (mostly the old stuff because that stuff is still the best). Besides I know people around 40 that still listen to what they did when they were in their teens and that's including metal for some.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I've always thought of metal, more or less, boring. With a few exceptions.

I had a bit of a rock/punk phase when I was in my early teens, but even before that, I've always loved Hip Hop. It's my all-time favorite genre and I don't think anything will ever replace it. My musical taste is very widespread, from classical, minimalistic, jazz, RnB, downtempo, uptempo, electrica, trip hop, rapcore, east-, westcoast rap, southern rap, a bit of metal, progressive rock, and so on... And I've always listened to ridiculous amounts of music.

So, never really cared that much for metal, although most of my friends during teens were metalheads. I was pretty much the sole Hip Hop -fan, until at 16 I got to know people who loved Hip Hop as well.

So, never cared that much for metal. It's a bit too boring for me for the most part. Instead, I've loved Hip Hop even before my teens, and it's still my favorite genre from a vast musical taste. Oh, and I'm 22.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm 23. Metal started to wear on me. I just got bored with it. I needed something with a different structure and sound. Something less angry and more complete(in a musical sense).

I still go back and listen to the old bands I grew up listening to, but they're not my primary music choice now.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Die hard metal fan!

While I started out in my teenage years listening to the cheesiest (and best) metal of all; Manowar, I've branched out a lot since then. But I'm still almost exclusively a metal fan.

I listen to a lot of other genres though, but usually because of specific songs instead of actual bands.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_MDe_yI7yA

But my heart will forever be made of metal. There is NOTHING that can give me a musical high as some real metal. Like this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkBgPA1ZNU

For the record I started listening to metal at around 13 and am now 28.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Lexodus said:
Jazoni89 said:
Dubstep is awesome, and i see that new genre really going places in the future, unlike metal which seems to be taken over by more 15 year old scene kids as time goes by. People don't like to admit it, but the metal scene is dying, especially in the UK.
Firstly, ugh... dubstep, and secondly, it's only dying in parts of the UK. It's still strong where I am, the hampshire/wiltshire area. :)
Dubstep, its a acquired taste, but it does grow on you, and its surprisingly more diverse than it actually first sounds.

I live in Hampshire and it is exactly the same as it was when i lived in kent, not many metal/rock bars/club, not many people, its just not what it used to be like.

Trust me, i went to those clubs back then.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
I don't know. Over the years I've mellowed out more but I've also grown to love metal more. Hell, back in the 90's I used to listen to boy bands. Of course I don't turn 20 until the 3rd of June so maybe I'll change.

I doubt it though.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Im 19 at the moment, I am a fan of lots of different types of music, from classical, orchestral and mariachi, to rap, original hip hop (IE KRS ONE and Wu Tang), huge fan of Reggae and whatever niche cage the elephant (THANK YOU BORDERLANDS!) fits into.

But the style of music that I have always loved the most, always came back to, and always rocked out to is heavy metal, with a music library of 2Tb, about 80% of it is made up of bands like ManOwaR, Iron Maiden, Five Finger Death Punch, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Alestorm, Brujeria, Fintroll and more.
I am also a metal DJ at the university Rock society Nightclub, where I play a great variety of epic metal.
It is not to be edgy, cool, to challenge boundaries or any of that, I enjoy metal, I play metal and I dress metal because this is part of my identity, not as some angsty teen who thinks the world doesn't understand him, but rather, someone who knows who they are, what defines them and how to express that to the world.

For some reason this comes with a great deal of disrespect and unkindness from the general public, who, oftentimes think of us as "scruffy moshers" or "stupid metalheads", but when one considers that the people insulting us as this are the chavs hanging around the bus stations with teen mums for girlfriends, living on welfare with no job prospects, no education and a drug problem to boot (mostly), I must ask, who is calling us scruffy? At the end of the day I never would look down on someone for their lifestyle if they have actually chosen it, rather than submitted to the life they found themselves in, but I won't stand for 3 things:

1: People judging me based on appearance and my music choices
2: People being actively violent towards me
3: The black eyed peas

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Jazoni89 said:
So i've got a question for all you 20 somethings, has metal music weared thin as you go older, or are you still a die hard metaller for life, please tell me what you think.
I'm 36. I still listen to it. Admittedly, not as much as I did in my teens, but I still have an appreciation for heavy music.

Here's an except from the very insightful documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey (which everybody reading this thread should immediately go out and buy/watch), which discusses the exact issue you're addressing. Watch from 7:35 for the relevant comments.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Used to be well into my Death/Black metal... totally mellowed out over the past decade. I'm waaaay over on the grunge/stoner end of the spectrum these days. I never really got the whole nu metal thingamy, always thought it was total turd and now i think death metal is too (apart from Dethklok, they freakin rule).

But i will always always love my classic rock/metal \m/

biGBum333

Aug 26, 2010
well im 19, does that count? but yeah metal has begun wearing thin on me too. guess its just one of those things (mind you i still listen to it, just not a whole lot)

Fall from Honor

Mar 29, 2010
according to my mother I used to like rock even when I was a toddler, and being 26 soon 27 I still like metal, I also like other music styles now, but I still enjoy amon, grave digger and the like