Methane Booms Could Make Economy Go Bust

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Alar said:
In debt to what? How exactly is this going to cost us money? They never said why methane in the atmosphere is going to magically make us have to pay more stuff. Where is this coming from? Can someone explain it to me?
Presumably it means the cost to repair damages. Global temperature increases, or the greenhouse effect in general, tends to throw climactic trends out of whack, most relevantly in the forms of devastating storms. Thus, the cost of damages caused to infrastructure, and maybe human life, I'm not sure what they calculated exactly, would total somewhere in the trillions.
It may also be referring to a loss in profits since a number of population centers are on coasts that would be devastated/eliminated, and a number of corporate headquarters and manufacturing centers as well as great economic markets, and even active farmlands now that I think about it, tend to be within those areas to be destroyed; and so at least some of those were probably considered in the cost estimate.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
Ill just give my standard response that I have to all global warming alarms.

When we are 60 trillion in debt, and New York is completely under water, I will the the first to grant you a sincere apology and call you king of the Internets. Once the sky actually falls, everyone will tell Chicken Little how wise he is and how they regret not listening to him. Until the sky falls however, I don't think we should hold our breath.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Why don't we just used compressed methane as a fuel? or swap to liquid Hydrogen as there are cars that run on it now?

That being said, these "predictions" are more often than not highly inaccurate.

Jun 16, 2010
The Great JT said:
Then you know how we fix it? GET A NEW POWER SOURCE. Wind power, fusion power, mass effect drives, I don't care! Just stop relying on fossil fuels!
If there's something you should take away from this article, it's that the amount of pollutant released into the atmosphere by humans is a minuscule drop in the bucket compared to how much nature pollutes itself. It's not like humans are even capable of producing 60 gigatons of methane, even if we tried.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Legion said:
Forgive me if I take this with a pinch of salt given how often these kind of predictions turn out to be accurate. Although a part of me does find the idea that the economy and potentially society might be taken down by methane gas rather than an asteroid or a zombie apocalypse to be kind of amusing.

I also like the fact you have a Madoka Magica avatar.
SO what you're saying is, the world ends not with a bang, but with a fart?

We need to ensure that, should humanity have a tombstone, "Died by farts" is NOT what will be engraved upon it.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Quazimofo said:
Alar said:
In debt to what? How exactly is this going to cost us money? They never said why methane in the atmosphere is going to magically make us have to pay more stuff. Where is this coming from? Can someone explain it to me?
Presumably it means the cost to repair damages. Global temperature increases, or the greenhouse effect in general, tends to throw climactic trends out of whack, most relevantly in the forms of devastating storms. Thus, the cost of damages caused to infrastructure, and maybe human life, I'm not sure what they calculated exactly, would total somewhere in the trillions.
It may also be referring to a loss in profits since a number of population centers are on coasts that would be devastated/eliminated, and a number of corporate headquarters and manufacturing centers as well as great economic markets, and even active farmlands now that I think about it, tend to be within those areas to be destroyed; and so at least some of those were probably considered in the cost estimate.
Thank you! That's much better than just, "Climate change is coming! Methane will be released! It'll cost us a TON of money!" which was essentially all they seemed to say.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Steve the Pocket said:
Strazdas said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Lauren Admire said:
Oil conglomerates are banking on the swiftly-melting Arctic to reveal 30 percent of the world's undiscovered gas and 13 percent of its undiscovered oil. However, even drilling these oil reserves for ten years would only amount to a paltry $100 billion, which would leave us $59,900,000,000,000 in debt. I guess we'd better start saving now.
Hold on. You're claiming that the oil companies have not only just suddenly accepted carbon-powered climate change as real, but are actively trying to cause it because they think it'll make new oil easier to obtain?

I'm gonna have to demand some sources on that one. That sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory to me.
Most of them deny it and at the same time know its true. its called lieing. and if lieing is making profit, they are going to lie to you with a huge smile on their face.
So all we have to do is make up whatever accusation we want and claim they're lying when they deny it because they're the bad guys? Geez, this is easier than I thought! Why did we ever bother with all that "finding evidence" baloney?
Yep. thats the basic of being a rich asshole that gets away with everything. Like Steve Jobs.

cthulhuspawn82 said:
Ill just give my standard response that I have to all global warming alarms.

When we are 60 trillion in debt, and New York is completely under water, I will the the first to grant you a sincere apology and call you king of the Internets. Once the sky actually falls, everyone will tell Chicken Little how wise he is and how they regret not listening to him. Until the sky falls however, I don't think we should hold our breath.
"When we are 60 trillion in debt, and New York is completely under water" noone will care for your apoligy, as it will be too late by then. When i drop an atomic bomb on your town, and then see you die, i will apologize to you for causing you pain. and that makes it ok to drop the bomb for me, yep, totally ok.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Legion said:
Forgive me if I take this with a pinch of salt given how often these kind of predictions turn out to be accurate. Although a part of me does find the idea that the economy and potentially society might be taken down by methane gas rather than an asteroid or a zombie apocalypse to be kind of amusing.

I also like the fact you have a Madoka Magica avatar.
yeah, can i kinda remember that there wasnt any climate change in the last 16 years? even the more alarmist adept of global warming had to admit that

CoronaryThrombosis

Apr 15, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
Oh look, more shady enviro-science to go with all the older, disproven fear mongering typical of green politicos like the living now-public-joke that is Al Gore.

And this has what to do with gaming or nerd culture? Once more, the very name of the website "The Escapist" totally escapes an author.
Oh, so now science nerds are no longer nerds? Sometimes it's good to look up from your laptop/television to see if the world is a smoking crater. Ever read the book "World War Z"? One of my favorite chapters centers on a teenager who doesn't realize that his city was completely overrun by zombies until the internet goes out. I can see something like that happening to a lot of people.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
CoronaryThrombosis said:
Nicolaus99 said:
Oh look, more shady enviro-science to go with all the older, disproven fear mongering typical of green politicos like the living now-public-joke that is Al Gore.

And this has what to do with gaming or nerd culture? Once more, the very name of the website "The Escapist" totally escapes an author.
Oh, so now science nerds are no longer nerds? Sometimes it's good to look up from your laptop/television to see if the world is a smoking crater. Ever read the book "World War Z"? One of my favorite chapters centers on a teenager who doesn't realize that his city was completely overrun by zombies until the internet goes out. I can see something like that happening to a lot of people.
What Scinece... Al Gore not a scientist... Lot of the climate change theorya re jsut that theory and are yet to be proven