Metro Exodus Announced!!

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Please do explain those reasons because all I've read so far is nonsense. So everything is suddenly forgiven if it has a good atmosphere? Yeah I don't believe that for a second coming from you who acts like open world AND scripted linear are the devils cruel jokez towards humanity.
Far cry. you have insane long unskippable cutscene and go throught point A to point B and most time spending while traveling.
That is LITERALLY the structure of the Metro games.

here developer said its Linear game in tunnels while open ended at outside. it will not require driving and traveling instead exploration like Stalker games. its semi open game. its a game that imagine if Stalker has metro graphics.
So it's going to have artifact hunting, blowouts, anomolies, emergent gameplay, good AI, weapon degridation...

Do you see where I'm going with this? Probably not.

open world games are imo fine if they follow Stalker/Crysis instead of Far cry/Assasins creed/GTA where 80% of time spent in traveling.
You keep holding up STALKER but 80% of the time you spend playing STALKER is travelling which is why I don't think you played it much. It is absolutly NOT a game where you want to fight. The reason it's a good game is because you have to balance risk and reward because if you get into a prolonged firefight you return to the hub worse off than when you left, which isn't a good thing.

STALKER is a game where the aim is to try to just travel the Zone even though everything is trying to kill you.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
B-Cell said:
open world games are imo fine if they follow Stalker/Crysis instead of Far cry/Assasins creed/GTA where 80% of time spent in traveling.
Far cry/Assasins creed/GTA aren't open world, they're all sandbox. The difference is that sandbox games are mechanically driven, i.e. it's about exploring mechanics/systems within a space. An open world game is about exploring a space. Now please start your fight where the thin line goes.
Here Comes Tomorrow said:
It is absolutly NOT a game where you want to fight.
My experience with Stalker is limited, but in the second zone, I had a hard time walking anywhere without getting into a fight.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Goliath100 said:
B-Cell said:
Far cry/Assasins creed/GTA aren't open world, they're all sandbox. The difference is that sandbox games are mechanically driven, i.e. it's about exploring mechanics/systems within a space. An open world game is about exploring a space. Now please start your fight where the thin line goes.
It is absolutly NOT a game where you want to fight.
My experience with Stalker is limited, but in the second zone, I had a hard time walking anywhere without getting into a fight.
I said you don't WANT to fight. Aside from scripted events you can avoid fighting completly if you're careful and patient.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Poetic Nova said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Poetic Nova said:
Loved 2033, Last Light already felt like a minor step back (but was stil great), but I'm not feeling Exodus. Atleast not yet. Small details like the crossbow, and appearantly not taking place in a Metro system looks wrong to me.
What's your beef with the Crossbow?

I have seen people complaining about the Crossbow in the game, it fits with the whole look of weapons you get in this game.
It may sound like nitpicking, but it looks too refined compared to the rest of the aesthetics. That and I question it's use when we already have the Hellsing rifle in previous titles, which loads 8 arrows at once, and can be overpressurised.
There are quite a few guns that are just pre-war guns, like the revolver and the Kalash. I don't find the idea of a few scavengers grabbing some from the surface to be that out there. In that way it fits in just fine.

Same reason people still use that single shot shotgun when the automatic and revolver shotguns are arguable superior. You don't always get the best in the world of the Metro. And the implication is that Hellsings are rare, which is why they cost so damn much.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Please do explain those reasons because all I've read so far is nonsense. So everything is suddenly forgiven if it has a good atmosphere? Yeah I don't believe that for a second coming from you who acts like open world AND scripted linear are the devils cruel jokez towards humanity.
Far cry. you have insane long unskippable cutscene and go throught point A to point B and most time spending while traveling.

here developer said its Linear game in tunnels while open ended at outside. it will not require driving and traveling instead exploration like Stalker games. its semi open game. its a game that imagine if Stalker has metro graphics.
So it's going to have artifact hunting, blowouts, anomolies, emergent gameplay, good AI, weapon degridation...

You keep holding up STALKER but 80% of the time you spend playing STALKER is travelling which is why I don't think you played it much. It is absolutly NOT a game where you want to fight. The reason it's a good game is because you have to balance risk and reward because if you get into a prolonged firefight you return to the hub worse off than when you left, which isn't a good thing.

STALKER is a game where the aim is to try to just travel the Zone even though everything is trying to kill you.
what i meant by travelling is. by driving. in FC you spent majority of time driving. In stalker you travel and explore the zone. thats what Metro Exodus will be.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
B-Cell said:
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

what i meant by travelling is. by driving. in FC you spent majority of time driving. In stalker you travel and explore the zone. thats what Metro Exodus will be.
How do you know that? Can you guarantee me Artyom won't have a little buggy?

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Awwwwww yeah.

While I loved the books way more than the games. The Metro setting gets me every time.
Hopefully there's a Russian language with subtitles option. Hogans Hero's type Russians always took a little away from the story for me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Heyyyyng on a minute, was Metro always Xbox/Microsoft exclusive?

Well at least it looks like they've returned to the HUDless mode that 2033 had going for it, and which Last Light threw out the window as it spunkgargleweewee'd to the finish line.

I guess they're swapping the requirement for gas-masks outside to needing them inside now, which I'm sure there's an in-game justification that isn't "please look at this beautiful rendering we gone and did for you." Not that I'm against it, would rather have a shitty view obscured than a lovely one.

This looked rather scripted though. So salt grain...consider yourself well and truly taken.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:

Well at least it looks like they've returned to the HUDless mode that 2033 had going for it, and which Last Light threw out the window as it spunkgargleweewee'd to the finish line.

I guess they're swapping the requirement for gas-masks outside to needing them inside now, which I'm sure there's an in-game justification that isn't "please look at this beautiful rendering we gone and did for you." Not that I'm against it, would rather have a shitty view obscured than a lovely one.

This looked rather scripted though. So salt grain...consider yourself well and truly taken.
Official website has it listed as being on PS4 and Steam as well.

Not a single thing in the trailer was actual gameplay. Everything was scripted.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Official website has it listed as being on PS4 and Steam as well.

Not a single thing in the trailer was actual gameplay. Everything was scripted.
That is a light relief then. Would be interesting to see how the final gameplay turns out. As long as it keeps the HUDless ranger mode, much could be forgiven. :)

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:

It's not exclusive. They just announced it with microsoft.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Consider me tentatively excited. I always loved the world and ambience of the previous Metro games so if they manage to carry that over to what seems like more of an open-world layout it has the potential to be amazing.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
B-Cell said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

Yeah because Metro doesn't have unskippable cutscenes. You also spend a lot of time traveling in Metro as well but I guess the game is better because you walk and don't drive.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Dr.Susse said:
Hopefully there's a Russian language with subtitles option. Hogans Hero's type Russians always took a little away from the story for me.
The previous games did and were all the more flavorful for it, so I'll join you in hoping they see no need in changing that now.
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Yeah because Metro doesn't have unskippable cutscenes. You also spend a lot of time traveling in Metro as well but I guess the game is better because you walk and don't drive.
Didn't Last Light have a section where you drive a railcar? Also, bonus points for quite literally being on rails. Welp, guess it's ruined forever now.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Looking forward to it bigtime.

HOW can people hate on a crossbow? It's the perfect weapon for such a setting. Easy to make/find ammo for. The hellsing was annoying, and the precise machining required to make the bolts made them too expensive/rare and unrealistic besides. I hated the hellsing -- something about it was always so difficult to use. The drop on the projectile was unreal, making it hard to snipe with, the spread while hip-firing wasawful and caused me to die a number of times when I tried to kill something attacking me but fell victim to storm trooper aim, and of course, a certain % of bolts always just became impossible to relocate. Having to pump it for maximum damage was annoying, and the attachments to make the weapon bearable are late game and expensive. And to make matters even worse, pumping it with night vision goggles on softlocked the game by causing you to lose all control other than movement. I usually sell bolts and hellsings I find since they're expensive, and instead I just buy more bullets. You're better off using cheap throwing knives instead of a hellsing since they're basically the same.

Also I don't mind open world. Yes, on-rails experiences are tighter, and you can ensure the path taken is interesting, well paced, and cohesive, but I don't think an open world is necessarily impossible to do these things with. I'd always wanted to have an open surface world in Metro, collecting things and having to carefully manage my filters, making the pace that much more intense. But I suppose the Stalker games are better for that, I just have to go play them.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Chimpzy said:
[Didn't Last Light have a section where you drive a railcar? Also, bonus points for quite literally being on rails. Welp, guess it's ruined forever now.
Oh yeah you're right it does, so it's literally on rails. But bcell will come up with some crazy excuse for that.

Here Comes Tomorrow

Jan 7, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Chimpzy said:
[Didn't Last Light have a section where you drive a railcar? Also, bonus points for quite literally being on rails. Welp, guess it's ruined forever now.
Oh yeah you're right it does, so it's literally on rails. But bcell will come up with some crazy excuse for that.
It had ATMOSPHERE!

Also it only lasted about 30 seconds total before Artyom dropped it down a hole like a giant idiot.

I've been playing Last Light Redux lately because I upgraded my PC a few weeks ago and it's the only game I have that takes advantage of it in an obvious way and you hop in and out of that stupid cart so much it's kind of annoying. It also amounts to nothing besides unskippable cut scenes.

I've ended up just playing Call Of Pripyat with SGM 2.2 because I got bored of Last Light. STALKER doesn't look any different now I can play it at 1080!

Oct 22, 2011
I always wanted a Metro sandbox set UNDEGROUND, in the actual Moscow Metro from the books. Where you could travel between the stations on your own. Maybe it's because i read the book first, but Metro2033: the game was only okay for me.
Exodus doesn't really look bad, actually it's one of the highlights of this year's E3, imo, but it's still postapocalyptic sandbox set in the Open World, so... "eh, why not?" Good if you want to play more not-quite-Stalker.

Chimpzy said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Didn't Last Light have a section where you drive a railcar? Also, bonus points for quite literally being on rails. Welp, guess it's ruined forever now.
There's an on rail section in first game too. You're a temporary gunner on a communist assault troley.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
But bcell will come up with some crazy excuse for that.
I don't expect any less, as B-Cell is famous for his to-the-point and well-argued rebuttals whenever someone points out the holes in the Swiss cheeses that are his arguments.

MrCalavera said:
There's an on rail section in first game too. You're a temporary gunner on a communist assault troley.
I know, but didn't mention it since you don't actually drive the vehicle yourself. It's a turret section. Would that be worse or better?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Chimpzy said:
it has. it has vehicle segments and on rail stuff which i wish is not. but come on.

but New game is not completely open world. Its semi Open world kinda like Crysis 1.