Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Metroid Prime 4 Announced for Nintendo Switch

Nintendo fans, rejoice. Metroid Prime 4 has been officially announced for Nintendo Switch.

If there's one game that Nintendo fans have been clamoring for more than any other, it a new entry in the Metroid Prime series. Every time Nintendo does a new Direct stream, there's hope of an announcement before being let down again. but during its E3 stream today, the company finally came through. Ten years after Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was launched, Nintendo has announced that Metroid Prime 4 is in the works.

Here's the brief teaser that accompanied the announcement:

As you can see, there's literally no other information - not even a window for a planned release. Given this, and the fact that there's no footage, it would be safe to assume that the game is pretty early in development. If that's the case, it could be some time before we see Metroid Prime 4 actually hit the Switch. Still, it's certainly more news than most fans of the series were probably expecting today.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
*Splurts out human femur*

Say whaaa??!?

N...no colon followed by subtitle? Just a Prime?

No...Team Ninja?? Just a Prime??

Oh no... it's all just a fever dream, you aren't fooling me this time, fever dream! Or is it that untreated syphillis?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well that was a pleasant surprise. My rule is that I really shouldn't watch E3, since I've heard that developers often are better off revealing their upcoming games on separate occasions. In those terms this was quite a bomb shell.

I call it pleasant even though I've never played a Metroid game. Since the overall aesthetics of Metroid aims at an older audience than Nintendo's other titles it means they are considering their older fans. Which given that no kids was present in the first Switch commercial shouldn't be much of a surprise, now that I think about it.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
... Who's writing it? Will it be Yoshio Sakamoto?

I blame the writing more than the dev team for Other M.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That's right. Metroid Prime 4. Starring unknown grunts that no one knows or cares about.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
We don't know who's making it yet.

After Other M, Federation Force and the unrelated but equally disastrous Starfox 0 I'm not sure I trust Nintendo to make a great game of it.

Of course, if they annoucne that Retro Studios are making and that Todd Keller and Andrew Jones are doingthe art design, I'll dance a mad happy dance.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Now all they need to do is announce a New F-Zero, and I'll blindly purchase whatever horrible device they tell me to.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Veldie said:
new Metroid on 3DS as well and its a proper side scrolling metrovania
Which turns out is a reimagining of Metroid 2: Return of Samus for the good ol' Game Boy.
Will give fans a juicy one to endlessly debate about: who did the remake thing better, AM2R or this one?

Would've personally rather had a new title that continued the story past Fusion, but hey, not going to complain, because we're hopefully getting not one, but two proper Metroid games. As a long time Metroid fan I can only say...

[HEADING=3]Thank Fucking God, Zeus, Odin, Vishnu or whatever deity listened![/HEADING][HEADING=2]Took you long enough, Nintendo![/HEADING]

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
ccggenius12 said:
Now all they need to do is announce a New F-Zero, and I'll blindly purchase whatever horrible device they tell me to.
Yo. Hell's frozen over, bad boy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
*Splurts out human femur*

Say whaaa??!?

No...Team Ninja?? Just a Prime??

Oh no... it's all just a fever dream, you aren't fooling me this time, fever dream! Or is it that untreated syphillis?
Nintendo isnt Valve.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
I'll buy 1, 2, and 3 are Prime but 4 is definitely not prime. Fortunately that 4 is just a typo. 4 was Other M and thus not Prime. 5 is Prime.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Note to self: Buy a Switch, around mid 2018.

Because if there is ONE game that could make me buy a Switch - it's a new Metroid game.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's only been 10 years since the last one, better make it great Nintendo! I will be watching this one closely.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Not exactly much to go on with just a title reveal.
It might aswel be Federation Force all over again. Or worse.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
This together with the announcement that a core-line Pokemon RPG is in development for the Switch solidified my curiosity towards the Switch. I'm getting one now, period. Well, when Mario Odyssey arrives, around that time.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
We don't know who's making it yet.

After Other M, Federation Force and the unrelated but equally disastrous Starfox 0 I'm not sure I trust Nintendo to make a great game of it.

Of course, if they annoucne that Retro Studios are making and that Todd Keller and Andrew Jones are doingthe art design, I'll dance a mad happy dance.
It hasn't been officially announced, but Retro Studios has been teasing that they've been working on Prime 4 for weeks prior to E3. Example, at one point someone asked them on twitter what they were working on lately, and they responded with a picture of prime rib. Then further take into account that Prime 1, 2, and 3 were all done by Retro as well, it's virtually a guarantee that Retro is the one working on Prime 4.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
ccggenius12 said:
I see your F-Zero and raise you Advance Wars, Golden Sun, and a proper (key word: proper) Star Fox game.