Michael Bay Might Not Direct Next Transformers Movie

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Michael Bay Might Not Direct Next Transformers Movie

Director Michael Bay has said he wants to hand over helming duties of Transformers 5 to another director, so he can work on other projects.

If the last four Transformers films wasn't your cup of tea, then you might in luck. Director proven to be a big hit commercially. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/michael%20bay]

While no one was named as who can replace Bay, Transformers 5 is already set to hit theaters in 2016. As for Bay's other brewing projects, his name is attached to the recently released latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film as a producer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136740-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-2-Coming-2016], which earned over $60 million on its opening weekend, with a sequel already planned to for release in June 2016. Bay's next project to hit theaters will be horror film Ouija, which he's producing and will be out this October 24 in North America.

Whom do you want to replace Michael Bay if and when he decides gigantic robots aren't his thing anymore? Bigger question is: do you even want the Transformers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/transformers?from_search=1] film franchise to continue after Age of Extinction?

Source: IGN [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/08/07/michael-bay-transformers-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles/13295115/?AID=10709313&PID=6150628&SID=zklbqkjnilw9]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I really don't want him to leave it now, i would like it if he saw the last 2 films through.

But if that wont happen, Guilmero Del Toro is my first choice.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Neill Blomkamp. Doubt he'd ever take on such a project, but I reckon he'd find a way to take even a ridiculous script and give it some kind of substance. Plus he's almost second to none when it comes to directing Sci-Fi action at the moment.

I'd rather see a reboot of the whole franchise though a bit further down the track so as to give everyone time to forget the abominations Bay unleashed.

EDIT: oh and almost forgot, he's actually friends with Michael Bay, so a handover wouldn't be out of the question...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Well at least he's courteous enough to only trample all over one nostalgic franchise at a time.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Well at least he's courteous enough to only trample all over one nostalgic franchise at a time.
Didn't he also do the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street reboots at the same time he was working on TF2?

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
Yeah, yeah. We heard the same thing when they announced Transformers 4. He said he didn't want to do it and that he was finished with it. Lo and behold he came back almost immediately. Somehow I doubt he's going to pass on this one either.

Besides which, even if he does pass the torch I think the next director is going to be contractually required to direct it exactly the same way, lest they break whatever is currently working with these movies (and dear god I have no idea what that is, because it sure isn't quality).

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
I wonder what his next franchise would be then?

Maybe Gargoyles?
Anyone else think of any decent childhood memories he hasn't ruined yet?

Killerologist

Jan 31, 2013
Its a shame really, I thought he finally got the mix right on 4. But I'm sure there is someone else who can do just as good if not better. there always is, they just gotta find him/her. Imagine one done by Peter Jackson! That I would see!

Killerologist

Jan 31, 2013
Its a shame really, I thought he finally got the mix right on 4. But I'm sure there is someone else who can do just as good if not better. there always is, they just gotta find him. Imagine one done by Peter Jackson! that I would see!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
JenSeven said:

Maybe Gargoyles?
My bet is on He-Man, if they are still looking for a director or another producer to throw in his (worthless) 2 cents.

Otherwise, Power Rangers. Why not turn that into a semi-sexist, hard PG-13, mindless action movie where the putties blow up like powder kegs and the Megazords are basically Transformers with pilots, eh Bay?

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
I was happy until i saw he want to work on other 'projects'. Now I'm expecting a human centipede level of butchery of some more childhood memories.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Ouija looks like a cliche piece of crap. Has Bay lost his passion for movies now? Wouldnt mind another Bad Boys movie.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
JenSeven said:

Maybe Gargoyles?
I've heard this argument for a while now. How exactly is your childhood memory ruined? Did Bay invent a time machine and replace all the old Transformers and TMNT material with things he directed? You realize that you can't change someone's memory of their past, right?
Now you can say he didn't do your memories justice, that would be a more accurate statement. But ruin your childhood? Can't happen and using that claim is just petty and disingenuous. Please try something else because statements like that just sound really stupid.
Also I doubt Bay can do a worse job than Season 3 of Gargoyles.

OT: I can't say I'm sad to see him go, but then also I didn't hate the Transformers movies either, just the lead actor for the first three. I wasn't super impressed but I was entertained at least.
And TMNT could never have lived up to my expectations because the original live action movie was and will always be my favorite. The only way someone could make it better is if they used Eastman and Laird's original series as a basis and a movie like that would be rated "R".

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
But ruin your childhood? Can't happen and using that claim is just petty and disingenuous.
I agree with the statement that Michael Bay isn't ruining childhood memories, but I disagree with the idea that childhood memories can't be ruined by things which happen in adulthood. It's entirely possible to later find out things which give an unpleasant or uncomfortable context to things you had fond memories of as a child. Most of the things I can think of that would do that are pretty much all extreme though - Generally variations on 'finding out person you loved was actually a murderer/rapist/Generally Bad Person'

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Falterfire said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
But ruin your childhood? Can't happen and using that claim is just petty and disingenuous.
I agree with the statement that Michael Bay isn't ruining childhood memories, but I disagree with the idea that childhood memories can't be ruined by things which happen in adulthood. It's entirely possible to later find out things which give an unpleasant or uncomfortable context to things you had fond memories of as a child. Most of the things I can think of that would do that are pretty much all extreme though - Generally variations on 'finding out person you loved was actually a murderer/rapist/Generally Bad Person'
Thats possible, but a very subjective issue there. But I was more speaking along the lines of what people use that argument for, which is toys/tv shows/video games/etc.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
ron1n said:
Neill Blomkamp. Doubt he'd ever take on such a project, but I reckon he'd find a way to take even a ridiculous script and give it some kind of substance. Plus he's almost second to none when it comes to directing Sci-Fi action at the moment.

I'd rather see a reboot of the whole franchise though a bit further down the track so as to give everyone time to forget the abominations Bay unleashed.

EDIT: oh and almost forgot, he's actually friends with Michael Bay, so a handover wouldn't be out of the question...
Are you sure it's Michael Bay? He's friends with Sharlto Copley, who's stared in both his movies (District 9 and Elysium) as well as the A-Team remake. And he also has relations with Peter Jackson, who brought Blomkamp into the spotlight and helped with Production of District 9. I've not seen anywhere any evidence of Blomkamp and Bay knowing each other well other than maybe a casual greeting at Hollywood events.

Another note is that Blomkamp is in post-production for his science fiction comedy Chappie set to release next year (A-list actors of Hugh Jackman, Sigourney Weaver, and again Sharlto Copley). After that he mentioned that he will be doing a District 9 sequel, although I don't think he even has a full script penned yet.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
cool BUT damage has already been done, i dont think this can be saved now unless they Reboot Transformers with out so many stupid shit and plotholes and have it be about THE TRANSFORMERS and no some stupid kid and his love life

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
He said the same exact thing last time. Then Paramount backed a dump truck full of money to his front lawn and he said "derp ok"

With the massive global box office Age of Extinction pulled in, I expect a repeat of events. Unfortunately.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I don't know how much blame for Transformers lies with Bay and how much lies with the script writers. The first movie was...okay-ish, but the second one was a steaming pile of turd and I refused to see any of the others because of it. Is that due to the director or the writers? Who thought up the somewhat racist twin Autobots for the second movie? Who decided to make the Decepticons virtually indistinguishable from one another in robot form (and the Autobots not much better other than Prime and Bumblebee)? Who thought it would be a great idea to have Frenzy hump Megan Fox's leg? I just don't think Bay is responsible for all of these atrocities.

So Bay being on the way out may not matter that much. It might get better when they kick the writers to the curb and get some people who actually like the material they are working with.