Michael Bay Might Not Direct Next Transformers Movie

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
JenSeven said:
I wonder what his next franchise would be then?

Maybe Gargoyles?
Anyone else think of any decent childhood memories he hasn't ruined yet?
I'm pretty certain Disney owns Gargoyles so that probably wouldn't happen.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I've heard this argument for a while now. How exactly is your childhood memory ruined? Did Bay invent a time machine and replace all the old Transformers and TMNT material with things he directed? You realize that you can't change someone's memory of their past, right?
Now you can say he didn't do your memories justice, that would be a more accurate statement. But ruin your childhood? Can't happen and using that claim is just petty and disingenuous. Please try something else because statements like that just sound really stupid.
I like Duke Nukem 1&2. I also liked Duke Nukem 3D though that might've been due to being a teenager at the time.

But now anytime I would have a feeling to talk about Duke Nukem, a newer audiences knowledge might enforce the idea I like Duke Nukem Forever. Some even going as far as proclaiming that I grew up with the Duke Nukem era of FPSs when Duke Nukem 3D was part of the Doom era of FPSs.

(And no not Wolfenstein despite coming before Doom as Doom is what made FPSs famous.)

So at best new versions of one's childhood could ruin someone's ability to talk about their childhood. And this is then followed up on the need to prevent newer critics from rewriting history based on their lack of knowledge.

So even if no one had a time machine they could in a sense still ruin your childhood by simply trying to rewrite history.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
COMaestro said:
I just don't think Bay is responsible for all of these atrocities.
I'm no film expert but I've always assumed that as the director nothing goes on screen without his approval. Like he had to read and approve the script before production, and then he'll see all the stuff you've mentioned before we do and make the decision to either keep it or cut it, obviously he chose to keep it. He's not solely at a fault since as you said he's not on the writing staff, but end of the day he decided that it was good enough to make a movie out of and thus responsible for what we're seeing on the big screen.

More on topic as much as I dislike the films, Bay has been a big part into making the movies into a very, very profitable franchise and I would imagine the studios making a huge effort to keep him at the helm. So as far as a new director is concerned, I'll believe it when I see it.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RatGouf said:
JenSeven said:

Maybe Gargoyles?
I'm pretty certain Disney owns Gargoyles so that probably wouldn't happen.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I've heard this argument for a while now. How exactly is your childhood memory ruined? Did Bay invent a time machine and replace all the old Transformers and TMNT material with things he directed? You realize that you can't change someone's memory of their past, right?
Now you can say he didn't do your memories justice, that would be a more accurate statement. But ruin your childhood? Can't happen and using that claim is just petty and disingenuous. Please try something else because statements like that just sound really stupid.
I like Duke Nukem 1&2. I also liked Duke Nukem 3D though that might've been due to being a teenager at the time.

But now anytime I would have a feeling to talk about Duke Nukem, a newer audiences knowledge might enforce the idea I like Duke Nukem Forever. Some even going as far as proclaiming that I grew up with the Duke Nukem era of FPSs when Duke Nukem 3D was part of the Doom era of FPSs.

(And no not Wolfenstein despite coming before Doom as Doom is what made FPSs famous.)

So at best new versions of one's childhood could ruin someone's ability to talk about their childhood. And this is then followed up on the need to prevent newer critics from rewriting history based on their lack of knowledge.

So even if no one had a time machine they could in a sense still ruin your childhood by simply trying to rewrite history.
Other folk's shortsighted view of the world doesn't change what you enjoyed as a kid/teenager, no matter what people who never experienced it say. Your argument would imply that anyone who doesn't appreciate say any older games because they didn't grow up with them or experienced newer versions first invalidates your ability to enjoy them, which is untrue.
If you allow people to color your view of your childhood, you're giving them power over you that they shouldn't have. Don't ever let someone else dictate what made you happy. Its like allowing the Star Wars Prequels ruin the original trilogy. Just because they happened doesn't mean what you liked before is now shit.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Well the latest one was a steaming pile of overlong, underwritten shite, so I hope he's done with it. It's a shame as I really enjoyed the first one, but the last two had rather similar plot, with a new cast, new enemy and dinosaurs.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Deathfish15 said:
Are you sure it's Michael Bay? He's friends with Sharlto Copley, who's stared in both his movies (District 9 and Elysium) as well as the A-Team remake. And he also has relations with Peter Jackson, who brought Blomkamp into the spotlight and helped with Production of District 9. I've not seen anywhere any evidence of Blomkamp and Bay knowing each other well other than maybe a casual greeting at Hollywood events.
I know who Sharlto Copley is lol -_-
It's listed on Neills IMDB page under trivia.

Also a quick google search popped up this interview he did alongside copley:

Blomkamp and Copley are in a booth at the ArcLight café prior to the promotional event, and when Bay?s name comes up, Copley exclaims, ?Michael Bay? Ohhhh!? Blomkamp has a more measured take: ?It?s not just blowing stuff up,? he says. ?I like the way he composes scenes and action. He?s inspiring.? (Turns out Blomkamp is a longtime Bay fanboy; when he was 19, he made a failed pilgrimage to LA to meet the man.)
So stands to reason they're at the very least, probably on friendly terms/friendly acquaintances *shrug*

And yeah he's doing post-production on chappie, but I'm pretty sure in the fantastical universe that they actually went after him for transformers, they'd make time allowances.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Thank goodness - we might actually get a half-decent or better Transformers movie with Bay out of the picture

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
JenSeven said:

Maybe Gargoyles?
He can always fall back on Teddy Ruxpin.