Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
You said this WAY better than I was going to put it!

OT: Some people just have no sense of humor. :(

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I suspect they didn't think about it in terms of 'thriller homage'. They're so wrapped up in his death and the controversy and all the bad press for years and years that it's easier to just say ' please don't use his image without our permission'.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Aww, that was my favorite zombie!
Also, Plants VS Zombies was released before the death of Michael Jackson, and it's also confused me why it's taken so long for this "Jackson Estate" to find out about it.
Plus, like the original post said, it was a tribute to the king of pop, it wasn't mocking him.

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
I'm 99% sure Michael himself would have loved it. And anyone find the irony of, complaining about a cartoon zombie parodying Michael who was meant to be a zombie...man I hate his family for ruining the King over and over...

Darkwolf22

Jun 23, 2009
MJ would have loved it. he was always petitioning to be in video games. i don't know why but, his family never really seemed to understand him. he would have been touched.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
Yes, how dare Micheal Jackson's relatives not want to see him depicted as a brain eating zombie... I personally wouldn't care but their point isn't exactly hard to see. Although I don't know why they decided now was a good time to complain about it.

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
Damnit Joe Jackson. First you start releasing MJ albums post-mortem, but now you're going after video games that don't even directly mention your kid's name? What next, adjusting the royalty rate and making everyone empty their wallets years after purchasing the albums?

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Ugh. Convenient that the Jackson family decides that NOW is the time to give a damn about him. When he was alive they didn't give a shit about him. Can't we just ignore the Jackson family when it concerns Michael?

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
psrdirector said:
dragontiers said:
Am I completely misunderstanding something, or doesn't this fall under parody clauses, allowing them to use it anyways? I mean, I understand respecting the famalies wishes by removing it, but I think they could keep it if they wanted too.

John Funk said:
I'm not saying that the Jackson Estate might not have had legal grounds to stand on, but it just seems counterproductive to me.
I totally agree. You'd think the family would see this as an homage, and allow it to continue. I guess I just don't understand.
Legally probyl right, doesnt mean they want to. To use an example, Wierd Al can legally make fun of any song with out asking any permision, if he puts in on hsi album all he has to do is pay royalties. The artist and management company cant do anything as long as royalties are payed, he does not do this. He asks permision of the performers, if they say no, he wont do it. It has nothing to do with legal its respecting the wishes of people. PopCap is taking the Moral Highroad by simply following the families wishs, not making a stink abotu it and moving on. Personally I see it as showing that they are good people who just want to make fun games and not upset people for no reason.
Oh, I agree, PopCap is taking the moral high ground, and good on them. However, to use your analogy, it would be more like if the Jackson estate went back and said they don't want Weird Al to do Fat or Eat It anymore. Michael Jackson never had a problem with it before he died, and now his family is the ones who are upset. I just think that anything that took place before his untimely death should be left alone, unless there was evidence the Michael Jackson had an issue with it or if it would be legally actionable (i.e. something that would diminish his estate).

To summarize, I think PopCap are doing the right thing, I just don't think the Jackson family should have an issue or have taken any action on it. Just my opinion.

DarkDain

Jul 31, 2007
People seem to be whining about this way more than they should. Its a graphic change, its a minor thing. And the disco zombie looks awesome. Disco Stu !

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
dragontiers said:
Am I completely misunderstanding something, or doesn't this fall under parody clauses, allowing them to use it anyways? I mean, I understand respecting the famalies wishes by removing it, but I think they could keep it if they wanted too.

John Funk said:
I'm not saying that the Jackson Estate might not have had legal grounds to stand on, but it just seems counterproductive to me.
I totally agree. You'd think the family would see this as an homage, and allow it to continue. I guess I just don't understand.
To quote John Waters on the commentary track of an episode of the Simpsons ("Homer's Phobia" if I'm not mistaken) when he briefly discussed he fact that the Rugrats stole his idea (Odorama): "A check would have been an homage".

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
i wonder if nintemdo can now sue for the removal of the bellsprout like plant.. it does have a resemblence,,, MJ estates are asshats.

angleitaway

Aug 15, 2009
I tried to "mod" the game with some file replacement and it didn't work like I thought it would. The replacement still had him do the moonwalk, but the thriller dancing part was not complete. The zombie was also smaller. So that plan is dead, unless I actually learn whatever is necessary to really modify the game.