Michael Jackson Estate Forces Removal of Plant-Eating Zombie

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Keep in mind that the complaint is there because of Michael Jackson being dead, which makes the zombie's presence both hilarious and a little bit tasteless.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
Not really THAT surprising, is it? I mean, its the Jackson Estate, after all - Jackson was at least quite layed back about this sort of thing...accept when he was singing for people to "Leave him alone"... But if the Jackson Estate involves any of the people he had around "Advising" him in life, the phrase "Money grubbing soul-less invertebratess" doesn't quite corner it. And bear in mind I never really liked the man himself!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
In other news. Early this week a zombie interest group objected to Jackson's continued acts of child molestation.

"Yeah, we eat people," said one Zombie between bites of a dubiously pink salad "but touching kids? That's just making us look bad."

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Les Awesome said:
aaawww
I wanted MJ in a good game for once
why couldn't he be with the plants
MJ is in a good game :) and they can't retcon him out it either, it's too old :)

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
They could replace it with Elvis...im sure his relatives wouldn't mind =)

Of course...if any are still alive...

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
I'm not saying that the Jackson Estate might not have had legal grounds to stand on, and PopCap is doing the right thing in respecting the family's wishes ... but it just seems counterproductive to me.
I will go ahead and say that the Jackson estate did not have a legal leg to stand on. Parody is quite explicitly protected, even when it's in a for-profit product.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I guess I get why they asked for the change, but it seems like they're overreacting a bit. No one was trying to offend anyone. It was more of a homage

Shepsauce

Sep 21, 2009
THEY MAY TAKE OUR BRAINS... BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE MY DANCING ZOMBIE!!!!!

From this point onward my copy of PvZ shall not be updated! Steam shall refuse to do so!

Oilerfan92

Mar 5, 2010
Wait. Michael Jackson died ? When ? I must have missed it. I dont think there was nearly enough coverage of it.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
lacktheknack said:
Keep in mind that the complaint is there because of Michael Jackson being dead, which makes the zombie's presence both hilarious and a little bit tasteless.
But Plants vs Zombies was released 50 days before he died, it's not as if it was made in poor taste after he died.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
To me it seems more of a tribute then an insult to him. Granted the game was released before he died but if it was really that much of an insult to them, they would have taken care of it a long time ago.

angleitaway

Aug 15, 2009
I really liked that zombie. Funny and tough to fight if you let him stick around. Hopefully, the Game of the Year Edition will be easily modified. A little image switching ought to do the trick. =) Or maybe the Zombatar will have certain clothes you can switch. Although, I do like the way that disco zombie looks.

A fun fact: the files for the Zombie Dancer were named "Zombie_Jackson". =D Just for fun, here's a little animated GIF of the zombie doing the moonwalk: http://i47.tinypic.com/ztzz3o.gif [196 KB]

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
You see, now everyone in the world will get behind this because Michael Jackson is the greatest most pure thing in this world right now. Its almost like everyone forgot about his little pedo problem. I wish there was a song for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVACUjHn6yU

Its a little offensive, so I took out the imbedded form

Vestsao

Aug 24, 2009
PopCap aren't insulting the death of Michael Jackson, it's parodying 'Thriller' so I think the received offence is unnecessary. Although if they feel offended by the depiction of a departed loved one then it's within their right to have the depiction removed.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
This is both hella and lame. I am disappoint, Jackson Estate. VERY DISAPPOINT.
What's "hella" without the lame?

Seriously. I must know!

OT:

Well, at least I still have the ice-ring-cleaner riding zombie!